BMPCC4K - Which Lenses for a Beginner?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

chrisvmay

BMPCC4K - Which Lenses for a Beginner?

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:45 pm

So I am planning on getting a Pocket 4K pretty soon. I've been looking into speedboosters and lenses and micro four thirds systems and all that for a while now and I have come to no conclusions. I don't have much of a budget at all so I was looking at vintage glass. I don't have a lot of hands-on experience, so I've been relying on the Internet for advice and, as we all know, there's plenty of that to go around. The world of lenses and mounts has got my head spinning.

I was looking at getting a speedbooster that converts M4/3 to Olympus OM mount lenses. I need to invest every penny carefully so that's why I am being careful. I know everyone has different opinions and experiences. To get started I think just a set of cheap vintage primes? The more versatile the better.

Thoughts? Advice? Glaringly obvious pitfalls? Thanks yall.

Ellory Yu

Re: BMPCC4K - Which Lenses for a Beginner?

PostTue May 12, 2020 7:33 am

There's a lot of post under Cinematography here suggesting good lenses for the BMPCC4K. For beginners (and even some of the pros here including myself owns one of these lenses at one point), instead of buying the speed booster, use that money and add a little more and buy one of these MFT lenses.

Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... al_ed.html

Panasonic Lumix Vario 12-35mm f/2,8 Power OIS - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... vario.html

and if you have a little extra left, this Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 is a cheap lens and nice for filming in low light - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... f_1_7.html

That should be your starter set.

If you insist and want to go the speed booster route, then for starters, get a Metabones MFT to EF .71X speed booster and a Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 EF lens.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Eric-Jan

PostTue May 12, 2020 9:52 am

Maybe you should tell what your final goal is, for getting a better answer.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

chrisvmay

PostTue May 12, 2020 11:17 am

Eric-Jan wrote:Maybe you should tell what your final goal is, for getting a better answer.

My goal in the end is wildlife and conservation short docs. So I know I will need a longer lens eventually.

The reason I’m considering a speed booster is if I go for, let’s say, Nikkor lenses, I could get both an adapter and speed booster for the versatility.

Ellory Yu

PostTue May 12, 2020 2:57 pm

chrisvmay wrote:
Eric-Jan wrote:Maybe you should tell what your final goal is, for getting a better answer.

My goal in the end is wildlife and conservation short docs. So I know I will need a longer lens eventually.

The reason I’m considering a speed booster is if I go for, let’s say, Nikkor lenses, I could get both an adapter and speed booster for the versatility.

Now that you mentioned your intended use, then yes you will need a longer lens. If you already have Nikkor lenses or plan to be investing in Nikon products where you will be sharing lenses, then a speed booster is probably the better investment for you. My previous answer was based on the OP (you) having a limited budget and looking for a beginner set. BTW, a beginner set should be based on what your intended use and need is, and of course cost associated with it. Best to you.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

chrisvmay

PostTue May 12, 2020 3:17 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
chrisvmay wrote:

Now that you mentioned your intended use, then yes you will need a longer lens. If you already have Nikkor lenses or plan to be investing in Nikon products where you will be sharing lenses, then a speed booster is probably the better investment for you. My previous answer was based on the OP (you) having a limited budget and looking for a beginner set. BTW, a beginner set should be based on what your intended use and need is, and of course cost associated with it. Best to you.

Hi Ellory. Thanks for your response. At the moment I don't own any lenses. My only camera, the one I've been using, is a Sony RX10iii which has a built-in fixed 24-600mm equivalent. So that can still tide me over if I need longer shots. I'm wondering which would be the best direction to go in terms of investing in a brand or system. The advantage of the speedbooster would be, ultimately, for improved low-light capabilities and wider field of view. All basic knowledge I could find online, but I wanted to ask here on the BM forums, your opinions one possible routes of investment. Thanks for the input!

Denny Smith

PostTue May 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Adapted lens work, but they do not work as well as specific, purpose built MFT lenses, unless you want manual control lenses only, then Nikon or Cine zooms are the way to go, given you are interested in more long than wide shots, I would start with something Like previously mentioned, or add longer reach with a lens like the Panasonic Leica 12-60, which are available on the used market for lenses than $400.

For manual Nikon, start with a straight MFT/Nik adapter (non speed booster) and look for longer Nikon F zooms, non G lenses, so you get the iris ring. You can add a speed booster later.
Cheers
Denny
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ellory Yu

PostTue May 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Hey Christopher. There is a good and on going post in Cinematography on Nikkor lenses that you might want to check out. Although I have an old Nikon film camera and a few F-mount lenses, I don't use them for my "video" work so I cannot really speak of them.
When I had the BMPCC original and the BMPCC 4K, I opt for the MFT mount glasses and usually gone the route of getting the Veydra set of primes. I did use the MFT to EF speed boosters (technically a focal reducer) because I have an array of EF lenses too. That was useful. Yes, it gives you 1 more stop and wider FOV. But because you're adding glass, it reduces contrast and on certain focal length will introduce some vignette. I sold all my MFT mount gears and have been using the UMP G2 and BMPCC 6K which have EF mounts. I still have my SB that I use on my GH5 with my EF lenses, predominantly the Sigma ART 18-35mm.

Eric-Jan

PostTue May 12, 2020 9:57 pm

@Christopher, some points: should the camera be waterproof ?
With a MFT camera you have a shorter focal point, a prime lens from an other camera isn't a prime lens for a MFT camera (like this "4K pocket" camera, mirrorless) (the 6K pocket has a EF lens mount like already been said....) do you need extra DC power for long shoots ? do you need more (fast) storage ? CFAST/SD/USB-C (check value for money vs. speed)
look at all these options, and take in balance if you need all the pro options, (13 stops of dynamic range) of the BMD pocket camera, or save money by buying an other camera and have extra money for buying more accessories that are of more use to you.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

chrisvmay

PostWed May 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses!

One of the reasons I am considering vintage lenses is not only the price, but I have been using my SONY which has a focus-by-wire lens and it drives me nuts!

While I do want the longer shots, I would like to have at least one wide angle option. What I was considering was getting a Nikon F to MFT adapter and a Nikon F to MFT focal reducer (about $600 total on B&H) and then stocking up on vintage Nikon glass for the most versatility in terms of field of view. Is there anything I am not foreseeing with this approach?

Eric-Jan wrote:@Christopher, some points: should the camera be waterproof ?
With a MFT camera you have a shorter focal point, a prime lens from an other camera isn't a prime lens for a MFT camera (like this "4K pocket" camera, mirrorless) (the 6K pocket has a EF lens mount like already been said....) do you need extra DC power for long shoots ? do you need more (fast) storage ? CFAST/SD/USB-C (check value for money vs. speed)
look at all these options, and take in balance if you need all the pro options, (13 stops of dynamic range) of the BMD pocket camera, or save money by buying an other camera and have extra money for buying more accessories that are of more use to you.

I am an editor and I travel a lot. So the Pocket 4K image quality plus Davinci Resolve plus the BRAW codec makes up for what I hope is the best possible setup for me. I have budgeted in all the accessories I need (storage, monitor, etc.). So in the future maybe I can afford a full set of Samyang cine lenses or something. Christmas is just around the corner.

Eric-Jan

PostWed May 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Looks like you have it all under control, with some good common sense, good luck !

chrisvmay

PostSun May 17, 2020 5:15 pm

I’ll also probably most likely get the LUMIX 1.7 25mm in case I need something resembling autofocus at some point.

Eric-Jan

PostMon May 18, 2020 12:23 am

That's a very good (prime) lens, value for money !

Ellory Yu

PostMon May 18, 2020 6:38 am

chrisvmay wrote:I’ll also probably most likely get the LUMIX 1.7 25mm in case I need something resembling autofocus at some point.

Yeah, I got one and after I sold my MFT gear gave that glass to my son who has a Panny GH5s. It's a nice, small, and light glass, and reasonably priced.

Return to Getting Started