Being asked to purchase

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

BigDaddyLinux

Being asked to purchase

PostSat May 16, 2020 2:26 am

Hello,

I have been using DR16 for a few months now on Linux and I have to say that I love it. I purchased DR16 Studio for $299.00 right after using it. The program runs good but lately I have been receiving a popup when I go to add certain effects (Zoom or Blur) to the timeline that says that these are only available in the paid version of DR16 and that I could purchase it for $299.

I searched for this issue but could not find anything on it. Can anybody help me with it?

Linux = Pop!_OS (based on Ubuntu) with Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2

Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Being asked to purchase

PostSun May 17, 2020 8:30 am

You only see that message when u have the free version installed. Go to the BMD support web site and download the Studio version.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

BigDaddyLinux

PostSun May 17, 2020 4:01 pm

That's kind of embarrassing! I had the studio version installed when I first installed 16 so I guess when one of the point releases came out, I grabbed the regular version of the update instead of the studio.

Sorry about the newb question but I really appreciate the answer because I am now able to use all the transitions without problems.

Thanks again

VennStone

PostMon May 18, 2020 8:13 am

After downloading the correct version make sure you use "studio" instead of "light" when installing with makeresolvedeb.
Debian 10 / 11
Magewell 11100 Pro
Intensity Pro
Intensity Pro 4K
DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K
DeckLink Quad

Eric-Jan

PostTue May 19, 2020 3:23 pm

What i understand of it all, installing the Studio version will erase the previous one ? and you first need to backup some things, changes, you made while using the "fresh" Davinci Resolve install ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

BigDaddyLinux

PostTue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm

VennStone wrote:After downloading the correct version make sure you use "studio" instead of "light" when installing with makeresolvedeb.

Thanks Venn, duly noted.

What i understand of it all, installing the Studio version will erase the previous one ? and you first need to backup some things, changes, you made while using the "fresh" Davinci Resolve install ?

I'm not sure about that.

Harald

PostMon May 25, 2020 10:14 am

Eric-Jan wrote:What i understand of it all, installing the Studio version will erase the previous one ? and you first need to backup some things, changes, you made while using the "fresh" Davinci Resolve install ?

The recommendation is to uninstall the light version before you install the studio version.
When I upgraded I archived my (not so many at that time) projects just to make sure, but the freshly installed studio version recognized the projects from the light version without having to re-archive the saved projects.
Worked like a charm for me.

Return to Getting Started