Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Title Animation with Tiff file - Media Offline

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Argentum

Title Animation with Tiff file - Media Offline

PostWed May 20, 2020 11:09 am

I am a newbie when it comes to Davinci Resolve 16, and I have a small problem as follows:

I created a title animation in Fusion which requires a .tiff file for part of the graphics. When I try to either create a macro or add it to the power bin and I come to reuse it on another project it comes up as being "media offline".

It seems that the only way I can get this to work is to load in the .tiff file into the new project and redo the nodes that require this file.

Is this meant to be? As I thought that if I just create a macro or even a saved pre-set .settings file under "Titles" folder, I could just drop the pre-set in, but it seems that it is not the case.

I must be missing something!

:?:

Bryan Ray

Re: Title Animation with Tiff file - Media Offline

PostWed May 20, 2020 2:20 pm

Use a Loader node for the file instead of a MediaIn. MediaIn is linked to the project's bins, so you'd have to have that file in every project where the title is used, and I think it would even have to have the same media ID. Loader just cares about the location of the file on disk, not about Resolve's database.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Argentum

PostThu May 21, 2020 11:12 am

Bryan,

So in order for me to get this to work does this mean I need to replace the node that contains my .tiff file with a loader node and then re-save the project as a macro or do you mean attach a loader node in my new project to the fusion macro I created?

Or do I select all the nodes except for the nodes that "references" the .tiff file in my original fusion title project (and I presume don't include the mediaout node as well), save this as the new macro and then attach a loader node in a new project that references where the tiff file exists?

Sorry for all the questions.

Argentum

PostThu May 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Bryan,

When you say add a loader node is this in place of the .tiff file node( which I presume relates to MediaIn node) in my original Title project before I create the macro?

Bryan Ray

PostThu May 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Simply replace the node that currently loads your tiff with a Loader.

When you drag an asset from your media bin into Fusion, it creates a MediaIn node that references the current project database. When you start a new Resolve project, it comes with its own database that doesn't contain that asset, so the macro can't find it—thus 'media offline.' The Loader, on the other hand, has a filename field that leads to a specific spot on disk, so no matter what project the macro goes into, that Loader can always find the file, so long as it doesn't get deleted or moved.

As a matter of good practice, you might first place the tiff in the same folder as the .setting macro file and use Fusion's Path Maps feature to ensure that no matter what system the two files reside on, if Fusion can find the macro, it can also find the tiff. You'd do that by replacing the Filename with 'macros:[yourimagefile].tif'.

Fusion will automatically replace 'macros:' with the path to the Macros folder, regardless of whether the asset is on a Mac, or a PC, or installed in a custom location. Although... it might not actually be 'macros:'. I'm not familiar enough with Resolve's architecture to be 100% certain of the path maps there. Titles might be in a different folder. Maybe an actual Resolve user will weigh in on that? Anyone?
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Argentum

PostFri May 22, 2020 9:30 am

Bryan,

Many Thanks for your help.

I have managed to successfully get this to work using your suggestion of a loader node. I had to change back to a .png file from the .tiff file though as the .tiff file seem to have 0 frames and would therefore not show up, whereas the .png showed as being 1 frame. No big deal as I originally used a png file and change to the tiff file thinking it was file format issue at first.

I have saved this to my power bin and everytihng works, with access to all the nodes in the Fusion tab

Thank you once again.

Return to Fusion