Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K EOL?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

J Stutts

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K EOL?

PostThu May 21, 2020 1:38 am

Hello all. So I went to purchase a Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K today and Adorama, Amazon and B&H did not have them in-stock. None of them are aware "if and when" they will be getting them back in. Has this product reached end of life or are a lot people just rushing out to get them because they have a little extra unemployment income? :o
http://film.jstutts.com

Eric-Jan

Re: Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K EOL?

PostThu May 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Don't know if the BMD factories are even active now, in this Corona epedemic, even than, there's even short supply for the Atem mini's also, i cannot imagine the 4K version is EOL, but these times you can't expect miracles...
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

J Stutts

PostThu May 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Don't know if the BMD factories are even active now, in this Corona epedemic, even than, there's even short supply for the Atem mini's also, i cannot imagine the 4K version is EOL, but these times you can't expect miracles...

Safety and health comes first for sure though I would think Blackmagic would at least communicate something to their retailers.

Denny Smith

PostFri May 22, 2020 6:08 am

Blackmagic does not ship,its products directly to the retailers, they are shipped via a distributor system. So the Distributor deals with the retailer.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

J Stutts

PostFri May 22, 2020 9:46 am

Denny Smith wrote:Blackmagic does not ship,its products directly to the retailers, they are shipped via a distributor system. So the Distributor deals with the retailer.
Cheers

But if Blackmagic are no longer making the camera, either because of the Pandemic or because it has reached EOL, they can still communicate this to their distributor.

Denny Smith

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Yes, yes they can. Also they may have done, but not for general release to anyone else?
Also, when a camera or other BMD device is discontinued (EOL) it is dropped from the BMD online catalog, so you can check the product listing and see: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products
The Picket 4K is still listed here (at the bottom, scroll down): https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nemacamera

So I doubt the Picket 4 K is EOL. Next oldest camera in inventory is the Micro Cinema Camera, which would go EOL before the Pocket 4K. The Picket 6K is not a replacement for the Pocket 4K, but more of a companion camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ellory Yu

PostSat May 23, 2020 8:23 am

It wouldn't surprise me if the P4K is replaced with a box form factor design to be the start of a new line, possibly to compete with the Komodo - No SDI but everything else at a low price point.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Denny Smith

PostSat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm

If we are going to dream, why not go all the way, and get the Mini SDI connections also, like BMD used on the 5-inch 12G VA. :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon May 25, 2020 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Howard Roll

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Yeah, no SDI on the Z Cam is a mistake. You can’t have a camera with no screen then give it 1 lowly burn prone hdmi out, it’s limiting.

Good Luck

Ellory Yu

PostTue May 26, 2020 7:19 am

Howard Roll wrote:Yeah, no SDI on the Z Cam is a mistake. You can’t have a camera with no screen then give it 1 lowly burn prone hdmi out, it’s limiting.

No SDI on the Komodo too, just HDMI. Maybe this is what they are doing and either to keep cost down or delineate between an indie-pro and Hollywood-pro audience cameras, whatever that means.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Getting Started