The hanging Finder problem on Mac OS persists...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ed Nixon

The hanging Finder problem on Mac OS persists...

PostWed May 20, 2020 2:19 pm

It's now 16.2.2 and each update going back, I think, to version 16 perhaps earlier has hung my reasonably hefty MacBook Pro Finder (Mac OS now at 10.16.2.)

I've searched this forum and as far as I can tell all there is on offer by way of help is: a) wait for it or b) go to the terminal and execute an unspecified command -- mounting the disk image doesn't seem to be the problem; it's in the install script, at least in this studio.

This situation is unsatisfactory. There has been no real explanation as to why this hang is happening. There is not a hint of suggestion as to what, really, one should be doing to mitigate. There is no suggestion even that: "We're working on it."

Please get something going on this. I've just wasted upwards of an hour of my time waiting, restarting, waiting, crashing, waiting, and re-booting my system. And I do not have an installed update -- which, helpfully, you remind me of when I start Resolve.

One suggestion: dump the manual from the install pkg. If the whole kit-and-caboodle has to be swapped onto disk before anything can begin, minimize the swap. Strategically, you've been working diligently to bring all sorts of functionality together; now it's time to strategically take it apart again -- at least from an installation perspective. I'd wager that selective or staged installation would be a boon. Yes, it's nice to think you have the world at your finger-tips but, in reality, who uses the whole thing. Every day. All the time?

Whatever. Please give us some relief on this issue as soon as possible. Thank you.

Uli Plank

Re: The hanging Finder problem on Mac OS persists...

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:34 am

Why are you using an unofficial MacOS?
Resolve is running really smoothly here, under 10.14.6.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ed Nixon

PostSat May 23, 2020 5:31 pm

Sorry. The version I cited was a typo. I'm using the same version as you -- 10.14.6.

...edN

Ed Nixon

PostSat May 23, 2020 7:42 pm

For future reference and hopefully to help those who come behind, something to try, if you have the gear:

I have an SSD drive connected via USB and it's where the various scratch folders for my software that needs it reside. If you are having a hanging installation experience and also have something similar:

Put the disk image file on that external drive -- I'm assuming there is a healthy amount of space on your drive; on mine the free space is just over 100 GB.

Run the installation and, yes, wait. But if my experience is yours, the wait time will be relatively short and, in the two times I've used this procedure, it actually *has* come to an end.

Once the PDF Manual cover page has appeared -- this seems to be the success 'message' we are given -- you can run the PKG script and, unless there is some other problem that you have that I don't, the installation should proceed successfully.

It would be useful to know how much disk space is needed for the installation to get itself organized. But that said, the conventional, rotating disk on which my Mac OS is installed has over 400 GB free at the moment. So there is something else that needs to be sorted and communicated. Tens of minutes waiting for something to happen so that an installation can proceed is, in my long experience, a very unusual condition, a real outlier. Why?

Uli Plank

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:43 am

Sorry, I was under the impression you might have access to some early beta or whatever.
We did about 20 installations for our student's lab and never had that much waiting time for spinning disks (so-called Fusion drives). Something else must be at fault.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Ed Nixon

PostSun May 24, 2020 4:09 pm

I notice from your sig that you also use Fusion Studio, presumably the stand alone version?

If that's a standard configuration across your lab, I wonder if its pre-existance has an effect on the Resolve install and the time it takes? It's a guess, but I'd suspect Resolve install script in the early stages, among other things, will check for a pre-existing installation of Fusion so the integration doesn't get munged. Which is not necessarily an answer to the issue I'm describing but may have some explanatory value.

Daniel Chabot

PostSun May 24, 2020 4:24 pm

This is an isolated case. Something is up with your system. Perhaps your hard drive is failing. Maybe some other hardware issue that only surfaces when tasked by the demands of video editing. Maybe the OS has a bad installation. It’s not a common problem, which is why it’s not an easy answer.

Start with hardware heath. Move to OS health. Video card next. Software conflict next. I wish I could help more, but I don’t have this problem and have not seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HPZ8 Zeon(R) Gold 6242 (2 processors), 128GB RAM, Windows 10, Resolve 16.2.1016
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000 16GB, Nvidia driver 451.48, NEXIS

Ed Nixon

PostSun May 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Daniel, your response seems to be addressing a performance problem I'm not experiencing. Once Resolve is installed, it runs as I would expect it to on the sort of machine I am using. I have few complaints in use, particularly if I'm careful about media formats and optimized media. My needs are modest and not big-screen in aspiration.

The thing I'm addressing here is the installation only. If you say it's an isolated problem, it certainly seems to be significant enough as I look at the Forum posts to have frustrated a number of folks. But I'm done with this matter; I have something of a work around that seems to allow me to stay current with my subscription. So I will leave this and this thread and get back to work.

...edN

Daniel Chabot

PostSun May 24, 2020 8:58 pm

Oh, I misunderstood. My apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HPZ8 Zeon(R) Gold 6242 (2 processors), 128GB RAM, Windows 10, Resolve 16.2.1016
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000 16GB, Nvidia driver 451.48, NEXIS

Uli Plank

PostMon May 25, 2020 2:32 am

While it's true we are using Fusion (strictly standalone) on some systems, we didn't have the money for all seats. My technician confirmed that he didn't observe differences in installation times.

Return to DaVinci Resolve