Davinci Resolve Studio motion blur.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Pavel Rybakov

Davinci Resolve Studio motion blur.

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 11:29 am

Motion blur in Resolve Studio works in very strange way - it didn't affected by playback speed at all. Seems it's applyed before changing playback speed ("retiming").
https://vimeo.com/305201877/3c3fa529e7 This is a sample.
E.jpg
E.jpg (241.04 KiB) Viewed 7681 times

r.jpg
r.jpg (261.54 KiB) Viewed 7681 times

Is there any way to make my expectation to reality in Resolve? :geek:
https://vimeo.com/nrggroup
...and sorry for my english =)
ASUS GL504GS laptop with Corei7 8750 & GeForce 1070, SSD Toshiba 512 NVMe + SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Marc Wielage

Re: Davinci Resolve Studio motion blur.

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 5:51 am

You could use a keyframe to turn on the motion blur just when it's needed and then turn it off when it's no longer needed, and that might give you more predictable results.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Pavel Rybakov

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 10:03 am

Marc Wielage wrote:You could use a keyframe to turn on the motion blur just when it's needed and then turn it off when it's no longer needed, and that might give you more predictable results.
Yes, had to do this by keyframes... But I made this "expectation" sample is Magix Vegas with no effort. Motion blur in Resolve give much better result but the trail is too small... There are must be a way to apply motion blur after "retime". Seems for now Resolve just throw away unused frames, not blending them together. Hope that someone of BMD's developers will read my post... I really love Resolve and swithed to it from Vegas but still missing some features...
ASUS GL504GS laptop with Corei7 8750 & GeForce 1070, SSD Toshiba 512 NVMe + SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Pavel Rybakov wrote:Motion blur in Resolve give much better result but the trail is too small...

Both BorisFX and Sapphire OFX have different kinds of motion blur available. Buy those, install them, and see if those give you the results you're looking for.

Jim Simon

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm curious why you're applying Motion Blur to live action. That normally comes from the camera's shutter angle. I would assume the effect in Resolve is for artificial clips - CGI, animations, etc.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 12:12 am

Jim Simon wrote:I'm curious why you're applying Motion Blur to live action. That normally comes from the camera's shutter angle. I would assume the effect in Resolve is for artificial clips - CGI, animations, etc.

Can't speak for the OP Jim, but Motion Blur on retimed live action is a simple and effective visual treatment for stylisation purposes. I've used it myself many many times.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

RCModelReviews

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 am

I assume you're using "blend" mode in the retime and not "nearest frame" or "optical flow".
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Pavel Rybakov

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I assume you're using "blend" mode in the retime and not "nearest frame" or "optical flow".

It affect only videos with framerate differs from timeline's. It's for framerate converting purposes.
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Pavel Rybakov

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 11:59 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Pavel Rybakov wrote:Motion blur in Resolve give much better result but the trail is too small...

Both BorisFX and Sapphire OFX have different kinds of motion blur available. Buy those, install them, and see if those give you the results you're looking for.

They're both cost money and working very slow) I like Resolve's motion blur but it must be applied after retime not before. It's ordinary thing for all NLE I've ever used)
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Pavel Rybakov

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm curious why you're applying Motion Blur to live action. That normally comes from the camera's shutter angle. I would assume the effect in Resolve is for artificial clips - CGI, animations, etc.

I placed video sample above)
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm

to OP:

just a guess, it sounds like the motion blur is added before the retime, maybe if you precompose/nest your retimed shot first and apply the effect to that nested comp, it will give you better results. though i think, on the other hand, 2 complete different frames where the cars are too far apart will give a weird result. but it might be the trick.

Pavel Rybakov

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:to OP:

just a guess, it sounds like the motion blur is added before the retime, maybe if you precompose/nest your retimed shot first and apply the effect to that nested comp, it will give you better results. though i think, on the other hand, 2 complete different frames where the cars are too far apart will give a weird result. but it might be the trick.

I've already tried to make compound clip with this media but it didn't help. I also tried to render it and then add blur but it made weird result because lot of frames was thrown away. For now I see no way to make it in Resolve. I'll make this in Vegas :(
Macbook Air M1 8/256

peterjackson

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 3:09 am

That's really sad. Just run into the same thing :(

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 am

Pavel Rybakov wrote:They're both cost money and working very slow).

Get more cash and then cache the motion blur results with BorisFX or Sapphire.

You asked for suggestions: I gave you suggestions.

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 am

Pavel Rybakov wrote:
Rick van den Berg wrote:to OP:

I've already tried to make compound clip with this media but it didn't help. I also tried to render it and then add blur but it made weird result because lot of frames was thrown away. For now I see no way to make it in Resolve. I'll make this in Vegas :(

maybe fusion can come in handy now, using the trails effect. but fusionresolve in its current stage wouldnt be my first choice. if you can easily do it in vegas, then i would use vegas

Pavel Rybakov

PostWed May 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Two years spent since my request. I think it's a great time to add this kind of motion blur to Resolve. Option to mix all frames when retiming instead of throwing them away. I love this blur trails when I speed up video.
This is a new example)
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Pavel Rybakov

PostThu May 21, 2020 9:20 am

UP
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Kirill Tupta

PostThu May 21, 2020 12:31 pm

Ran into same problem with motion blur.
Obviously i try to use compound after clip re-time, but Motion Blur doesn't work on Compound Clips at ALL! Looks like a bug that need to be fixed.

Pavel Rybakov

PostSat May 23, 2020 5:33 pm

UP!) :D
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Uli Plank

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:50 am

S_TimeAverage by Boris might be helpful, just give it a try, there should be a demo.
But awfully slow if you don't have a CUDA capable GPU.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Wielage

PostSun May 24, 2020 5:32 am

Pavel Rybakov wrote:They're both cost money and working very slow) I like Resolve's motion blur but it must be applied after retime not before. It's ordinary thing for all NLE I've ever used)

A lot of stuff in this world costs money. You asked for advice: you didn't ask for something free.

Pavel Rybakov

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 10:59 am

UP!) I still miss ability to mix frames when speeding up video. And this is really annoying to use third-party plugins... Will be great if motion blur will work for pre-composed clips as well.
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Kirill Tupta

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 10:38 am

Pavel Rybakov wrote:UP!) I still miss ability to mix frames when speeding up video. And this is really annoying to use third-party plugins... Will be great if motion blur will work for pre-composed clips as well.

+1

wzavareei

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 2:19 am

Its pretty insane that this is still missing.

morganvisconti

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 1:57 am

I MUCH prefer to do all of my work in Resolve. But I still keep Adobe After Effects and it has a built in filter called TimeWarp that does exactly what you're looking for. Speed up 10x, you get 10x the trails. You can control the amount by changing the shutter angle. It also works very well the other way, using optical flow to slow down footage. It's can be very CPU intensive depending on the smoothness you want as it's not only blending the frames you're skipping but interpolating between them. You can control how many in between samples you want.
I figured since Resolve already has optical flow built in that it should be relatively easy (and not costly) to blend frames in this way.

ThaWheel

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 9:09 pm

I stumbled onto this thread while looking for an answer to the same problem.

Here's an easy and fast solution, without any plugins etc.

Just take the sped up clip into the Fusion page.

Drop a Motion Trails node in between the mediain and mediaout. Crank up the trails as long as you want. I had to max them out.

When you go back to the edit page, you should see the result you were expecting.

Return to DaVinci Resolve