Red Komodo or G2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Red Komodo or G2

PostWed May 20, 2020 10:12 pm

I've never owned a RED, although I've rented and used a few of them. The Komodo is tempting and in the price range of $5K to $7K, it's in that UMP G2 and C200 market price. With 6K, it sure will bring attention with BMD and Cannon a run for their money. Although the Pocket 6K is not a regrettable addition, I think if the P6K was a box form factor with everything its got today plus SDI and interchangeable mount, at it's original price tag could have been considered a contender to the Komodo. I guess we shall see what's going to happen down the road.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

timbutt2

Re: Red Komodo or G2

PostWed May 20, 2020 10:23 pm

G2 because 120 FPS at 4.6K resolution. The bump to 6K isn’t that massive, but Komodo only does 40 FPS at 6K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

MishaEngel

PostWed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm

Komodo has Global Shutter but only 40 fps at 6k and 60 fps at 4k.
G2 has 120 fps at 4.6k with rolling shutter(7,7ms 4,6K # 6,5ms UHD # 3,15ms HD).

It depends on what you want.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 21, 2020 1:54 am

And we don't know yet how much impact GS has on dynamic range.
Red's official DR numbers were always, hmm, kind of optimistic…
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Robert Castiglione

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:27 am

I was a red owner for some years.

I would be wary of getting into the Red ecosystem which is a special form of financial punishment.

Rob
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

Chris Shivers

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:29 am

And don’t global shutter got a big draw back like dynamic range or somethin

Uli Plank

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:44 am

Well, it is about 1 stop between Sony F5 and F55.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

timbutt2

PostThu May 21, 2020 3:02 am

Here's some RED Komodo test footage for you on Frame.io

https://app.frame.io/reviews/71de5b2b-4 ... 5f0760d98d

Ellory Yu

PostThu May 21, 2020 5:58 am

So it will be advantageous for BMD to revisit a box form factor 6K with SDI and everything the P6K has today, plus HFR of up to 120fps, and optional mounts - something in between the P6K and the G2. Probably their $2495 competitor to the Komodo. :)
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Dmytro Shijan

PostThu May 21, 2020 6:20 am

Instead of that stupid 6K/8K/10K race it is way better to release a G2 box with new generations of dual gain fairchildimaging 4K sensors which should provide huge increase in dynamic range and low light sensitivity compare to anything on market.
4.4K MST4323 https://www.fairchildimaging.com/produc ... rs/mst4323
4K HWK4123 https://www.fairchildimaging.com/produc ... rs/hwk4123

I personally think that Kinefinity MAVO Edge form factor, ergonomics and modular structure is way better than Red Komodo.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Jay Soriano

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:46 pm

...and is the reason why BMCuser.com is no longer.
2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz i7
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
FCPX/DaVinci Resolve Studio
Akitio Thunder2 Quad Mini
Envoy Pro EX

Dune00z

PostThu May 21, 2020 3:04 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Here's some RED Komodo test footage for you on Frame.io

You got me. Well done.

timbutt2

PostThu May 21, 2020 4:46 pm

Dune00z wrote:

You got me. Well done.

Never going to give you up...

Hahahaha.

Ellory Yu

PostThu May 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Dune00z wrote:

You got me. Well done.

Nice skin tones. Love that Prores RAW 80's retro look. :lol: :lol:

Rakesh Malik

PostThu May 21, 2020 7:34 pm

Robert Castiglione wrote:I was a red owner for some years.

I would be wary of getting into the Red ecosystem which is a special form of financial punishment.

Rob

Since Komodo doesn't require any Red specific accessories, that's not very logical here. It's not your usual Red camera.

The UMP v2 costs less and includes XLR ports with phantom power, but it also is quite a bit bigger and heavier, plus it uses less power.

The Mavo Edge though, that's quite an engineering accomplishment. It uses more power than a Komodo AFAIK, but not by much which is impressive given the bigger sensor, more resolution, frame rate options, and built in XLRs with phantom power, and has almost exactly the same weight as a Komodo.

That's a LOT of functionality to pack into such a small, lightweight chassis, especially since it can run off of a single Sony-style battery, but it has a hybrid V-mount/Sony battery plate, which is ingenious.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:06 am

Rakesh, are you on “the list” for a white Stormtrooper or a special edition random colour?
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:11 am

No, I'm waiting for the general availability version, because it will cost $2000 less. I also lost quite a bit of work when Washington went into lockdown, so...

Sent from my H1T1000 using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:22 am

Makes sense. I don’t know why exactly but I’ve never felt compelled to go with Kinefinity. Just afraid they have a long way to go to establish credibility. They’re offering a lot of features with good design in a small package though.

Even though BMD had never sold a camera untIl 2012/13, the company was well established in the industry. Will Kinefinity eventually succeed with widespread adoption or will they fade for various reasons like AJA and Digital Bolex? There’s a lot more about being successful making cameras than just making cameras. A better mousetrap isn’t enough.
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:53 am

It's difficult to be sure, but I think Kinefinity is pretty big in China, which is now a far healthier country economically speaking than the US, and that disparity is going to grow. The US heading for a deep depression... China is not.

I don't know what that means for the film industry, though we all know already that China has gained a lot of ground there, and has been a major investor in quite a few big films lately.

The Digital Bolex had no other products, so it had to rely on just that one camera to survive, which isn't an easy task. BMD could have flopped its first camera and probably still been successful, but it was careful and other than being far too enthusiastic about announcing release dates for a long time, it was quite dependable.

Aja on the other hand actually pulled it off, but due to a combination of a premature (read: buggy) launch and partners not liking the idea of Aja offering a competing product... Well, we know where that went.

I don't know how Kinefinity got its start, but it was probably funded at least in part by its government, and has also had some rocky launches, but seems to be improving drastically with every generation. as much as Red and BMD, but with a new generation every year... BMD seems to launch new generations at Red's pace but has a lot more interim but significant updates.

Just musing now, because of getting antsy to get outdoors. And hoping I can relocate to BC, Singapore, or New Zealand soon...

Sent from my H1T1000 using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:06 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:... Just musing now, because of getting antsy to get outdoors. And hoping I can relocate to BC, Singapore, or New Zealand soon...

Come to the Great Green North, formally known as the Great White North (but that’s so 20th Century).
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:27 am

rick.lang wrote:Come to the Great Green North, formally known as the Great White North (but that’s so 20th Century).

And my mother country... :)

That's the real reason I took this tech job, which was a case of lucky timing -- I scored a Microsoft contract shortly before Microsoft went into a hiring freeze. And in BC I'd still be able to work on the productions I've already been hired for by locals, but it will be easier in a healthier economy than this one.

(Which in another month might well be everywhere but the US... sigh.)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Robert Castiglione

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:43 am

Thanks Rakesh, concerning the Red ecosystem.

I had a look and you are right. It is a new departure for Red not relying on overpriced accessories which can only help their reputation.

Rob
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Why do people start threads asking others to comment on cameras that don't exist yet?
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Rakesh Malik

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:36 pm

I guess it's to keep things interesting while awaiting new Black Magic toys :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

robert Hart

PostFri May 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Robert Castiglione.

QUOTE: "I would be wary of getting into the Red ecosystem which is a special form of financial punishment."

I reckon folk who bought into the full SI2K/P+S Technik recorder combination might challenge that. There was a bit of a motto within the ranks of some SI2K owners "Better dead than Red".

The reality was that the Red 4K jump laid the SI2K low although it remained a reliable system and still has the best user interface and a strong feature set to this day. Just a pity about the sound input and debayering 2K which sort of comes out at HDV sharpness with of course superior dynamic range. Taking out the OPLF Blackmagic style and replacing with a simple IR filter and a piece of Format Hitech contrast filter then adding a focal reducer made for the original BMPCC improves things.

I think the SI2K system may have taken the record for fastest depreciation which for owners from new would have been a cruelbad punishment indeed. You would have met Ricey at the Sonic Sessions gig in Fremantle. He bought into the system from new and must have felt those dollars winging away. I fortunately went the poorbrother route of picking up the demo unit they sent to him plus bits and pieces here and there over time so did not take such a financial hit.

With the new generation of SSDs, it became a good events machine although rather heavy and always struggling for light. I thought it a great shame that SI/P+S Technik did not go the 4K route but as a business model, it would not have made a lot of sense playing catchup with a much lesser developmental budget than Red could muster. The OS did not advance beyond Windows XPe but the generational improvements to the SI app made it very user-friendly.

P+S had a shot at a fullframe sensor in a similar body style, their PSCam but only at 1920x1080, a bit late to the party.

Onwards from the SI2K, I again played poor brother and was tempted to pick up a used "big" URSA when people freaked out about the 4.6K turret uprade. Some sold cheaply for the time. It is almost everything I would have liked the SI2K to have been, same dynamic range but global shutter, almost like changing the same brand of jacket. It has not done much work however, a couple of TVCs as a loaner. Like a kid with a Torana and a V8 engine in a box, I did a few things to it, adding a focal reducer which increased the field-of view for lenses close to that of the 4.6K sensor plus Nikon F-Mount.

What system are you operating now?

MishaEngel

PostFri May 22, 2020 9:23 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Why do people start threads asking others to comment on cameras that don't exist yet?

Komodo is a real camera and it exist, you can even pre-order it.

John Brawley

PostFri May 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Aja on the other hand actually pulled it off, but due to a combination of a premature (read: buggy) launch and partners not liking the idea of Aja offering a competing product... Well, we know where that went.

I think the Cion flopped not because it was buggy, but because it made crappy pictures (not buggy) and was expensive.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/in-a- ... s-amazing/

It cost 10k and was "going to wipe the floor" with the Ursa. Which I guess also flopped for different reasons.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Rakesh Malik

PostFri May 22, 2020 10:29 pm

John Brawley wrote:
I think the Cion flopped not because it was buggy, but because it made crappy pictures (not buggy) and was expensive.

The crappy images were a result of some rather horrendous color casts and noise issues caused by image processing, which I described as bugs... showstoppers though; it wasn't ready for release.

The difference was night and day, going from the v1 firmware to the v2... it was like a completely different camera. But by then the camera was already doomed, because AJA made the blunder of letting out into the wild with that lousy image processing...

So I call it buggy. :)

It cost 10k and was "going to wipe the floor" with the Ursa. Which I guess also flopped for different reasons.

JB

I suspect that the UM 4.6K forced AJA's hand into releasing the Cion before it was ready for prime time, along with forcing AJA to drop the price to $5K.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Brawley

PostFri May 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
I suspect that the UM 4.6K forced AJA's hand into releasing the Cion before it was ready for prime time, along with forcing AJA to drop the price to $5K.

I'd have to check but my memory is that Cion was dead before the Ursa Mini 4.6K showed up.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Rakesh Malik

PostFri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:

I'd have to check but my memory is that Cion was dead before the Ursa Mini 4.6K showed up.

JB

I bought a Cion after the UM 4.6K announcement, but before the 4.6K shipped. AJA dropped the price to $5K and shipped it... but I demoed it before buying it; the v1 firmware was dreadful, the v2 firmware was surprisingly nice, otherwise I would have returned the demo and called it an epic fail. It was definitely outclassed by the 4.6K, but the 4.6K didn't arrive until almost a year after that.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Kays Alatrakchi

PostSat May 23, 2020 12:11 am

MishaEngel wrote:Komodo is a real camera and it exist, you can even pre-order it.

What I meant is that nobody outside of RED staff has used it, played with it, tested how well it works, and on and on. It's kinda weird to ask for opinions on a piece of gear that isn't out into the hands of users, and probably won't be for many months. It's a bit like asking if I should get an URSA G2, or get an URSA G3.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Robert Castiglione

PostSat May 23, 2020 4:17 am

Hi Robert,

I was never convinced by the S12K. It just seemed uninspiring. The Red One just killed it I think.

Concerning my current rig, I have left Red behind and am a full evangelical convert to black magic now. Every time I go shooting I am really delighted by the pictures that this little guy can produce. I learned a lot from my Red days about how to rig ergonomically impossible basic camera units and I feel that I have the bmpcc 4k just right for shoulder mounted work. With a good evf (which people are understandably reluctant to pay for at the moment given the cost of a good evf like the kameleon) it is a great combination. In particular I have discovered the wonderful world of metabones speedboosters and the incredible synergy with bmpcc 4k. For me the images produced from the camera using certain older manual focus lenses is just delightful.

Kind Regards

Rob
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

rick.lang

PostSat May 23, 2020 4:31 am

Robert Castiglione wrote:... In particular I have discovered the wonderful world of metabones speedboosters and the incredible synergy with bmpcc 4k. For me the images produced from the camera using certain older manual focus lenses is just delightful.

Kind Regards

Rob

Thanks, Robert. Sometimes it’s so good to read an inspiring comment. Sometimes you just need to know the sun is shining and people are delighted.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostSat May 23, 2020 7:39 pm

Robert Castiglione wrote:Hi Robert,

I was never convinced by the S12K. It just seemed uninspiring. The Red One just killed it I think.

It was a wonderful camera. The main problem was that it only had a 2/3" sensor size.

I used it quite a lot back in the day. Here's a trailer for a short film. I shot using 16mm format Zeiss superspeeds with a panasonic made 1.3X anamorphic adaptor.

https://www.scribd.com/document/1719996 ... ial-Review

But they SI realised something that I still see few here really appreciate. It's freaking hard to make a camera for our field. We are very hard to please and not a big market.

Look at how many companies have failed at making a digital cinema camera. There are more failures than successes.

Aaton went broke trying to make one.
Panavision have failed twice to bring their own internal camera to market and instead did a re-badged RED (DXL)
Digital Bolex
A-Cam / Ikonoscope
AJA
Dalsa (The first 4K camera)
Thompson (Phillips) had the Viper around the same time, never made an advance on that

So even though they made an incredibly advanced and capable camera for it's time (it used cineform before RED !), they never followed up on their experiment.

It wasn't worth it. We are too hard to please. And we still weren't happy with what SI were able to do.

JB
Last edited by John Brawley on Sun May 24, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Robert Castiglione

PostSun May 24, 2020 12:58 am

Hi John

You are right, We are indeed hard to please. That is a wonderful little movie. Admittedly, I spent an afternoon with it and just had a play with it and used it to shoot some slow motion footage of a car explosion as a test. It had microsoft operating system I think. At the time the Red One seemed to offer just so much more.

Rob
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

timbutt2

PostSun May 24, 2020 1:36 am

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:What I meant is that nobody outside of RED staff has used it, played with it, tested how well it works, and on and on. It's kinda weird to ask for opinions on a piece of gear that isn't out into the hands of users, and probably won't be for many months. It's a bit like asking if I should get an URSA G2, or get an URSA G3.

Totally get the URSA G3. Can you believe Blackmagic was able to do a 16K IMAX Size sensor with 20 Stops of Dynamic Range?! This is insane! Totally got Christopher Nolan to abandon film and go digital.

Mary Miron

PostSun May 24, 2020 7:17 am

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:
MishaEngel wrote:Komodo is a real camera and it exist, you can even pre-order it.

What I meant is that nobody outside of RED staff has used it, played with it, tested how well it works, and on and on. It's kinda weird to ask for opinions on a piece of gear that isn't out into the hands of users, and probably won't be for many months. It's a bit like asking if I should get an URSA G2, or get an URSA G3.

Wrong.

Here's a partial list of people who have shot with RED Komodo so far:

Steven Soderbergh (Oscar and Palme d'Or winner) shot a full feature film starring Meryl Streep with it.
Lana & Lilly Wachowski (the writer-directors of The Matrix) used it on The Matrix 4.
Michael Bay (the director of Bad Boys 1-2, Armageddon and Transformers) used it on his Super Bowl commercial.
James Gunn (the writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 1-2) used it on The Suicide Squad.
Rawson Marshall Thurber (the writer-director of DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story and Central Intelligence) used it on his new Netflix film, Red Notice, starring Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot.
Don Burgess (the cinematographer of Forrest Gump, Spider-Man and Cast Away) used it on The Christmas Chronicles 2 which was directed by Chris Columbus (the director of Home Alone 1-2, Mrs. Doubtfire and Harry Potter 1-2).
Jason Momoa (an A-list actor who stars as Aquaman) used it on his motorcycle commercial.
Russell MacLaughlin (an award-winning wildlife cinematographer) used it on his wildlife shoots.

On top of those, the camera has also been tested by various TV show cinematographers, video production companies, celebrities, people close to the owner of RED etc. From my POV that's a pretty impressive list for a camera that "isn't real" and "doesn't exist".

They are gearing up to release Komodo in the next month or two. First models are already being shipped to a small selection of customers, albeit with a firmware that is not final.

rick.lang

Red Komodo or G2

PostSun May 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Last week I read one of those 8K-is-coming-so-get-over-it-and-shoot-8K articles. It was actually well-written summarizing most of the best arguments pro and con. But there was a lot of emphasis on “capturing 8K to make better 4K deliverables” than there was on “shoot 8K because everyone that matters will have an 8K television soon.” The Komodo and the BMPCC6K likely satisfy that ability to oversample sufficiently today. Same reason I’m shooting 4K/UHD anamorphic as long as all clients I have want 2K/HD deliverables.

When I have money to burn maybe I’ll even buy into a higher resolution but dynamic range on capture is more important to me (let’s not dwell on global shutter versus rolling shutter since I can’t have it anyway... yet).
Rick Lang

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun May 24, 2020 3:53 pm

I think a lot of people would prefer eg. RAW 6K camera with new improved sensor than some average 8K. We have enough resolution atm. but sensors still have plenty to improve.
Same with TVs- why on earth would you buy some 1st gen 8K TV today? 1000x would prefer a good 4K one.
Regarding Komodo- lets wait to see actual product. Hydrogen was also something amazing, but only "on paper". With Komodo atm. we have just a lot of posts from RED fanboys about how great it could be :D

Uli Plank

PostMon May 25, 2020 2:09 am

If you are not like Fincher, who wants the ability to re-frame in post, 6K should be just fine for 4K delivery.
I don't want more pixels, I want better pixels!

rick.lang

PostMon May 25, 2020 3:29 am

Size matters! I am not talking quantity as in resolution but quantity as in the well of electrons (quality).

The first BMCC camera had a 6.5 micron pitch (photosite). Some other cameras costing much more were in that ballpark too. URSA Mini 4.6K in a much larger sensor is 5.5 microns. BMPCC4K uses 4.63 microns, BMPCC6K uses 3.76 microns. And these are all larger than the ubiquitous 4K smartphones.

The actual photosite related designs are improving and the in-camera processing can be huge, but how stunning the most modern capabilities might be if the actual priority was applying the latest capabilities toward better pixels as well. Global shutter with more than 16 stops?

The two directions that may make the most sense for the most people in a few years at most might be 6K Pro Max in a 36mm wide sensor with 5.86 micron pitch photosites or 4K Pro Max in a 36mm wide sensor with 8.79 micron pitch.

Compared to the BMPCC6K, that Pro Max 6K would have 2.4x the area and with a better design possibly even greater light gathering capability.

Compared to the BMPCC4K, that Pro Max 4K would have 3.6x the area and with a better design possibly even greater light gathering capability. Another two stops or global shutter?

That’s one approach and there may be other electronic designs to consider while staying close to what is feasible and desirable. At some point BMD may decide to build their own sensor without just custom designing a sensor that utilizes an existing technology. That’s still perhaps too risky and high cost so unlikely I suppose.

But if they went that route it would certainly make sense to have a wide throat base mount in front of their Pro Max sensor that could accommodate short FFD mounts to keep compatibility with a wide range of lenses.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon May 25, 2020 4:37 pm

Interesting Rick, and the Nikon Z6 has 5.92 micron pitch photosites, which puts it in the same ballpark as the 6K ProMax, since they both are full 36mm (35.9mm) wide 6K sensors. The bigger pixel,pitch in the original BMCC is probably part of what is creating that special IQ that is favored by many here.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jack Fairley

PostMon May 25, 2020 6:57 pm

:D I think this is the last place I expected that...
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Rakesh Malik

PostMon May 25, 2020 7:08 pm

rick.lang wrote:
The two directions that may make the most sense for the most people in a few years at most might be 6K Pro Max in a 36mm wide sensor with 5.86 micron pitch photosites or 4K Pro Max in a 36mm wide sensor with 8.79 micron pitch.

Most likely the next sensor will have a similar or slightly smaller pixel pitch as compared to the current UMPs, but a sensor that makes use of some significant advances like BSI to give it a significant boost in light gathering performance. I don't think that BMD will sacrifice dynamic range to gain resolution, but bigger photo sites aren't the only way to improve sensor performance.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostTue May 26, 2020 3:38 am

I agree there’s more to improvements to gather light than the absolute well size.
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 26, 2020 4:55 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
Kays Alatrakchi wrote:What I meant is that nobody outside of RED staff has used it, played with it, tested how well it works, and on and on. It's kinda weird to ask for opinions on a piece of gear that isn't out into the hands of users, and probably won't be for many months. It's a bit like asking if I should get an URSA G2, or get an URSA G3.

Totally get the URSA G3. Can you believe Blackmagic was able to do a 16K IMAX Size sensor with 20 Stops of Dynamic Range?! This is insane! Totally got Christopher Nolan to abandon film and go digital.

Nahh, Nolan use film to be an outsider, an "artist", not for 20 stops (that exist only on photo film, but never on movie film strip, common movie film strip is 6-8 stop, check on kodak website the spec of best film strip they sell and many stop declaration).

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 26, 2020 5:03 pm

anyway come back to Red or G2?
ask you :
- what kind of environment i put this camera?
- what i really need (resolution/fps/dr)
- how much is my budget for all surrounder (rig, support [red custom-ursa mainstream], lens)
- what kind of customers (i had customers that if they see a brand everything is ok, also if i shoot with iphone)
- what kind of work you do.

if you do a list is better, both brand do good cameras, depend of your needings.

Que Thompson

PostThu May 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Jared (RED CEO) said that people will start getting Komodo’s this weekend so tons of footage should be showing up shortly.

Ellory Yu

PostThu May 28, 2020 3:13 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:anyway come back to Red or G2?
ask you :
- what kind of environment i put this camera?
- what i really need (resolution/fps/dr)
- how much is my budget for all surrounder (rig, support [red custom-ursa mainstream], lens)
- what kind of customers (i had customers that if they see a brand everything is ok, also if i shoot with iphone)
- what kind of work you do.

if you do a list is better, both brand do good cameras, depend of your needings.

For me, I'm satisfied with the G2 + Pocket 6K combo. It is serving my purpose and have had no complains when I use them. However, if I am asked to use a Red, then by all means I will rent the package and the client will pay for it. It's easy as pie.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Que Thompson wrote:Jared (RED CEO) said that people will start getting Komodo’s this weekend so tons of footage should be showing up shortly.

And still no footage at all from RED?
This is somehow suspicious. If you have grate product which produces amazing footage you show it everywhere ahead of any delivery. If you have nothing special you just talk about it a lot to get many pre-sales.

I can see that RED users are focused on Komodo body colors instead :D
And of course few posts about Z-Cam were wiped by admins- typical RED spirit (some things don't change).
Next

Return to Cinematography