Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to Master Properties Control ?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

SantenPlu

How to Master Properties Control ?

PostThu May 14, 2020 12:06 am

How can i manage to have a master properties control for multiple fusion clips.
E.g. i have a bunch of lower thirds and i want to change the color, corner roundness or animation duration etc. for all in one control panel?

Sander de Regt

Re: How to Master Properties Control ?

PostThu May 14, 2020 2:59 pm

For multiple seperate clips this isn't possible at the moment, unless you write a script for it as far as I know. You can make macros that control various aspects of different tools in a single clip though which is also very useful.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

SantenPlu

PostSun May 17, 2020 1:32 pm

I was afraid of that.
Are there any tutorials or other work arounds for this problematic?

Sander de Regt

PostSun May 17, 2020 1:44 pm

You could put all your lower thirds into one big Fusion composition and then link all the parameters you want to link to each other in there. Or if you don't want to link them together you can use for example the for/slash commands that are availabe in Reactor to modify a bunch of parameters that are the same at the same time. Those are the first two options that come to mind. But as of now there is no such option.
It's not that surprising, because I don't think there's anything inside of Resolve (or any other editor) that allows for master properties, is there?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

SantenPlu

PostSun May 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:You could put all your lower thirds into one big Fusion composition and then link all the parameters you want to link to each other in there.

Thank you, I think i will try this out.

Sander de Regt wrote:It's not that surprising, because I don't think there's anything inside of Resolve (or any other editor) that allows for master properties, is there?

In After Effects you have "Master Properties" which are easy to use.

Chad Capeland

PostSun May 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:You could put all your lower thirds into one big Fusion composition and then link all the parameters you want to link to each other in there.

Would be an interesting option (or options).

1) Resolve could offer a Fusion comp per track. Color and Fairlight both support this, you can apply a grade to a video track or a VST effect to an audio track. Extending this to apply a Fusion comp to a video track would be logical.

2) Resolve could allow you to use multiple timeline clips in one comp, with pairs of MediaIn/MediaOut per clip. Then it would be trivial to instance and preview processing on the clips that the creator would want to be shared.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

julian_b

PostMon May 18, 2020 7:39 pm

SantenPlu wrote:
Sander de Regt wrote:It's not that surprising, because I don't think there's anything inside of Resolve (or any other editor) that allows for master properties, is there?

In After Effects you have "Master Properties" which are easy to use.

As far as I have seen, that is not really how master properties of After Effects work.

They only work in After Effects, not in Premiere.
You have multiple copies of a comp inside of AE and can tweak different parameters of them without having to twirl down a bunch of layers.
You can achieve that in Fusion by either making a macro or using the CustomTool or any other tool and linking that up with the attributes of your titles.
But that is not as necessary as in AE, since in Fusion it's much easier to find the controls you want to change. You don't have to hunt through precomps and layer and effect stacks.

The other feature Master Properties provide are exposed controls in Premiere. Resolve's equivalent are Macros and the resulting Fusion Templates. They work exactly the same as AE's Motion Graphics templates.

You cannot change a bunch of Fusion Clips in the Edit page timeline all at once.
And AFAIK you can't in Premiere either?
If so, I'd love to see a video of that. I'm quite curious about that.

SantenPlu

PostWed May 20, 2020 12:52 pm

julian_b wrote:
Sander de Regt wrote:
You cannot change a bunch of Fusion Clips in the Edit page timeline all at once.
And AFAIK you can't in Premiere either?
If so, I'd love to see a video of that. I'm quite curious about that.

I would rather compare AE with Fusion. But you can also do some kind of Master Control with the relatively new template system in Premiere.

Another way is to put dynamic linked AE compostions into a Premiere timeline.

There is also a way to control some AE behaviors from the Premiere template.

However i want to do it in Fusion because i want to stay in Resolve and had bad experience with importing transparent AE clips into Resolve.

julian_b

PostWed May 20, 2020 2:19 pm

Created a feature request:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=114161

You are invited to voice your support for that feature. :mrgreen:

SantenPlu

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:06 pm

julian_b wrote:Created a feature request:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=114161

I hope BM does read their own forum and also monitor what is possible in competting software :D

Anyway i need to do it now.

How about Reactor scripts?
I just installed it but am a bit lost.
Is there a script which can do something like master properties?

SantenPlu

PostSun May 24, 2020 1:45 pm

anyone ?

Andrew Hazelden

PostSun May 24, 2020 6:07 pm

SantenPlu wrote:anyone ?

Hi @SantenPlu.

IMHO you are asking a complex macro/scripting/automation question in the wrong Fusion forum.

This is the official policy from BMD's Resolve product manager on scripting automation in Resolve:

Peter Chamberlain wrote:All of the scripting info is in the help, documentation, dev documentation, scripting folder.
Please review the contents. We don't provide further support unless a published function is not working as expected.

If you want to do something non-standard like adding a DIY "Master Properties Control" technology to a custom macro, then you are simply going to have to go to the Steakunderwater forum's "Scripting, Fuses and Macros" section and create a new post that shows a mockup of what you are trying to do, and explains the functionality you want to achieve using Fusion/Resolve related terms to express the idea. Then you can see what happens.

The Steakunderwater site is where Fusion comp TDs exist on the web and is your only hope since undocumented scripting functionality and work-arounds would be required to pull off what you want.

SantenPlu wrote:I was afraid of that.
Are there any tutorials or other work arounds for this problematic?

Not yet....

Likely expressions, modifiers, fuses, Intool scripts, Lua scripting, along with PathMap linking to an external preference file or a CustomData entry are required to make this possible in a macro.

One could also add a side order of the (free) Krokodove plugin's "From File" modifier, an SxS side-by-side script (if used in Fusion Studio), or a Config:/ PathMap folder based .fu event/action file, or a Fusion "RunCommand" node inside the macro, too. Which are all outside the scope of BMD support.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

John Holt

PostSun May 24, 2020 7:58 pm

First I must admit I haven't read the whole thread but Fusion does have a master control. I'll admit it isn't very logical but works wonders.

You just set a control panel 1st and link any parameter to it.

Hope that helps.
-John
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

Andrew Hazelden

PostSun May 24, 2020 10:12 pm

John Holt wrote:First I must admit I haven't read the whole thread but Fusion does have a master control. I'll admit it isn't very logical but works wonders.

That is a nice tip but it won't link the controls dynamically across several usages of a Fusion Title Template placed in your Edit page timelines which is what I think the OP was hoping for. ;)

John Holt wrote:You just set a control panel 1st and link any parameter to it.

Also, for the approach shown in that video you linked to, personally I'd have used an instanced copy of the original node, then deinstanced any specific UI controls needed to be made unique in the other versions of that node placed in the rest of the comp. It is much quicker to setup and more reliable at render time than having to expression link many controls.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Return to Fusion