Pink and Green on Camera 1 - ATEM Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

calvaryiwakuni

Pink and Green on Camera 1 - ATEM Mini Pro

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:08 am

Hello,

I am getting an odd error. Anything I plug into Camera 1 comes through with only Green and Pink colors (see attached). I tried swapping cables and tested multiple inputs (from multiple cameras and even a computer input via HDMI). Any thoughts on what is causing this?

Thanks,

David
Attachments
IMG_9107.jpg
IMG_9107.jpg (538.03 KiB) Viewed 21406 times
IMG_9147.jpg
IMG_9147.jpg (785.31 KiB) Viewed 21406 times

Denny Smith

Re: Pink and Green on Camera 1 - ATEM Mini Pro

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:01 pm

Did this happen right out of the box? If so, contact your dealer for a swap or your BMD local Support Office for a RMA, something is not connected correctly inside the HDMI connection. Did you check the settings on HDMI 1 in the ATEM control software, to see if false color is switched on (not sure this is possible in the ATEM, but your image looks like a false color display.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

RichardJolly

PostSun May 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Is this anything to do with the Camera 1 pass-through for gamers? It looks like an HDMI RGB input receiving YUV, or vice-versa.

Denny Smith

PostSun May 24, 2020 6:27 pm

That is a good thought Richard, forgot about that feature. Anyway a call to BMD Support might get it sorted, being a new product, with not too much experience base here.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank Engel

PostSun May 24, 2020 8:43 pm

RichardJolly wrote:Is this anything to do with the Camera 1 pass-through for gamers? It looks like an HDMI RGB input receiving YUV, or vice-versa.

My understanding from discussion in other threads is that input 1 only supports YUV signals while the other inputs support both YUV and RGB.

Denny Smith

PostMon May 25, 2020 5:53 pm

OK, I got my Mini Pro finally :D and everything worked out of the box, same video Display from all four inputs, MV works, tested with a Pocket 4K and Nikon Z6 cameras, using a SmallHD Focus monitor for HDMI out (MV). Input 1 will take camera setting and use that to set ATEM resolution.
No idea why you are getting the false color look on input 1, so far unable to reproduce this.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank Engel

PostMon May 25, 2020 8:26 pm

Denny Smith wrote:No idea why you are getting the false color look on input 1, so far unable to reproduce this.
Cheers

It will depend on what you are plugging into it.

Denny Smith

PostMon May 25, 2020 11:47 pm

OP was using video/dslr cameras that worked correctly on inputs 2-4 but any connection he made to input 1 gave the false color looking image results. So David, what cameras did you use on input 1 that gave this result. Did you try resetting the ATEM to default settings. Have you run the new FW update?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mgvase

PostThu May 28, 2020 6:12 pm

Ok, went around on this with BM and this is what I found out. I also had the false color issue.
I was using a video transmitter Hollyland 400s on sony a6500 camera. when i put the the hdmi from receiver (Hollyland) into input 1, I got false color.
When I put the same receiver setup into input 2,3,4 the signal is normal perfect.
When I bypass ( Hollyland transmitter) and go straight hdmi cable into atem mini pro channel 1, signal is normal perfect.
When I test Hollyland setup into a separate monitor directly, by passing atem mini pro, signal is normal perfect.
I also tested from computer hdmi out into channel 1 with hardwire to atem mini pro and it was perfect normal.
So there is a quirk, BM couldn't tell me why. I dont know why either. just use input 1 with a hardwire situation. That fixed it for me.
Also BM mentioned to me that extending Hdmi cable with extenders, sometimes causes problems. Not the issue I had but good to know.
I hope that this saves someone some stress.
Mark

joshua1983

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Yeah... we're having the same issue here as well. It seems only to happen when using wireless transmitters. We're using a set of the Hollyland MARS 400s. It's only happening only channel 1, and only when we're in multi-cam view. I hope this can get resolved!!!

supercleary

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 8:18 pm

I had a similar issue using an a6400 and the same hollyland transmitters. I had it working, and then it gave me the crazy colors. The solution I figured out was that I had accidentally left my camera set in 4k. When I switched it back to 1080 and reset everything the signal came back clear. Hope this helps.

Dcc.audiovisual

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 11:35 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm having the same problem, but i'm using the output coming from a viltrox dc-70ii because my Canon 80d dont have the clean hdmi out. Any possibility to solve this via a New firmware ?
And by the way, i had to put 3 converters already, on the inputs 2,3 and 4 because they were failing when using a cable bigger than 1m. ALL my cables are HDMI 2.0 tested, and worked Fine on HDMI 1. I'm using converters to cat6, chineses ones, i'm a Brazilian and work with sdi converters or buy Fiber HDMI to discover than that It could not work as well is not a option. It ALL comes too expensive here in Brazil, and i'm starting to think that i should put my money in a bigger interface...

eventpix

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 am

I'm glad I found this thread.
I'm testing Vaxis Atom 500 wireless HDMI and get the same issue on input 1
I also tested a HDMI > ethernet > HDMI setup and abandoned it because I was testing it via input 1.
Taking an output direct from a camera to input 1 works fine so there is obviously some issue with input 1

RockLive

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Just had same issue on my ATEM mini, but using low cost Orei HDMI splitters to feed diy multiviewer. Found swithing EDIC switch from STD to TV let the splitter switch between RGB and YUV.

JoeInOttawa

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 4:19 pm

I'm surprised this has gone around in circles this long. But then, I asked the same question here and heard crickets for weeks...

Someone already did offer the solution, though: The problem is that Input-1 only accepts yuv (it has something to do with speed of processing), and your camera is putting out RGB. I have exactly the same problem, and what's weird is that my cheap Activeons don't work properly with In-1, but my INCREDIBLY cheap Monster cam works just fine.

Anyway, you need a camera in In-1 that does yuv. Good luck!

tomektomczuk

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 10:15 am

The Blackmagic Support told me:

"The behaviour you're experiencing is because HDMI Input one only supports YUV, so you will get a colour space issue when using an RGB video source".

tomektomczuk

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:47 pm

Solution

in the software go to palettes then to Upstream key and change the settings on the DVE tab

bryanhunter99@gmail.com

PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:35 pm

I have to tell you I am very frustrated with my ATEM Mini.

1. The first suggestion was that the reason Input 1 was "blinking" is that the HDMI cable was too long (50') and therefore the "handshake" wasn't happening.

2. So I converted the HDMI to HDMI ==> Ethernet ==> HDMI and now I'm getting the pink and green screen.

I have now spent 10-15 hours trying to get the damn thing to work. Any other suggestions??

Lan Brady

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 1:03 am

The settings on all 4 of my feeds are the same. What are good camera choices the get around this problem?

eventpix

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 2:36 am

This still dosen't make sense.

1. why is HDMI 1 different on a standard ATEM Mini unit?
2. if it is to enable only a YUV signal (whatever that is) then why not have a model for whover needs that and another for the majority.

What find will work in HDMI 1 is a direct connection from various cameras and HDMI output from a laptop or tablet.
What wont wotk is a signal that comes via a Vaxis ATOM 500, certain HDMI cables, and from another production size switcher unit.

bryanhunter99@gmail.com

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 3:10 pm

So I have been successfully using a feed off out graphics computer into HDMI input 4 with a macro for a nice PIP.

However, as of this morning, the purple screen has crept over to HDMI input 4. HDMI 1 is still a beautiful shade of lime green. What in the world is going on? Looks like it's time for warranty exchange.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 pm

Dcc.audiovisual wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm having the same problem, but i'm using the output coming from a viltrox dc-70ii because my Canon 80d dont have the clean hdmi out. Any possibility to solve this via a New firmware ?

magic lantern may fix that clean hdmi out issue

gmoney56

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 11:24 am

So has this been fixed?

mgburns

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 1:11 pm

gmoney56 wrote:So has this been fixed?

As of June 28, I have the same issue. Channel was fine until I started using an ethernet converter because of long line (45 feet) from camera. Now, it doesn't seem to matter whether I plug the ethernet-extended cable or a shorter HDMI to camera cable into channel one, it's lime green with bits of magenta. I have rebooted, etc. etc., no luck.

LucaGmedia

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 8:17 am

As of now - 12 July 2021 - still seems no solution has been provided.

Camera direct - no problem

Out of Vaxis Atom 500 - green problem

My feeling is that it's an issue with the HDMI level, I think input 1 is also used to generate the sync for the cameras so might need a stronger signal? not sure.

My only solution for now (as I always have 4 wireless receivers), put a life-saver Decimator MD-HX in line (which aligned HDMI level) and the camera is fine.

Surprised after 18 months still no official reply from BMD.

oitray

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 5:20 am

I just submitted this to support also who redirected me to the forums. So glad I found this thread as I'd been battling this for days. FYI, I'm using the Hollyland Mars 300 Pro and 400 Pro. Got the same green screen issue. On the ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, I get green screen on inputs 1 and 2. Inputs 3-8 give proper color. I also have the Mini ISO which was getting the green screen on 1. I will probably test later with 2-4 but I'm guessing the same in case anyone comes across similar issues.

Cameras are BMPCC 4k

xznwys

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 5:49 pm

@Mgvase is spot on! I am using the Hollyland wireless transmitters as well and get false color on only channel 1. I thought I'd broken it, but it's just a weird bug with the ATEM.

ahendin

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 10:35 pm

Is there any update on this? I have the same problem on HDMI1 only, from an HDMI splitter (Tripplite B119-4x4) that is read just fine by our Crestron RX. HDMI2, 3, and 4 all read the same output correctly, on the same cable. So it's clearly an ATEM Mini Pro hardware or firmware issue that affects HDMI1. How is there no fix yet, BMD??
pink and green AMP HDMI1.jpeg
pink and green AMP HDMI1.jpeg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 8189 times

ahendin

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 7:48 pm

tomektomczuk wrote:Solution

in the software go to palettes then to Upstream key and change the settings on the DVE tab

What settings? I don't see anything there that would affect this, but I'm far from an expert and could well be missing something.

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 12:28 am

It’s an RGB vs YCrCb issue, there needs to be a manual setting.

Good Luck

ahendin

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 5:45 pm

The real Q is why it affects only HDMI1, and not 2, 3, and 4. We literally just started using this unit, and haven't changed any settings that could affect this. Clearly needs to be addressed in firmware.

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 11:16 pm

Input 1 uses a different processing pipeline than 2,3,4, it features the low latency game mode, I think too often the device assumes RGB.

Edit: It looks like it’s going the other way, interpreting an RGB signal as YCrCb. In component white is Y255, Cr127, Cb127 whereas RGB would be R255, G255, B255. I believe that’s why the white has gone magenta.

Good Luck

ahendin

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 7:05 pm

Thanks for the details, Howard. I also just found this discussion: Fix HDMI Input 1 Not Working - ATEM Mini Pro YUV Color Space Issue:
. It's not actually a "fix" insofar as it recommends a $750 adapter to convert the color space for HDMI1. It would be nice if BMD would have incorporated such a conversion setting in the device, especially as the rest of the inputs do not have this issue. If conversion options for HDMI1 can be incorporated via a firmware update, even better. I'll reach out to support.

Here HDMI1 handles direct computer output (via USB-C to HDMI dongle) correctly, but as soon as an HDMI splitter is introduced to the path, pink and green is the result. I don't understand yet why the splitter output is handled differently. I've now tried two splitters by different manufacturers with the same results. The output from our Canon XA45 camera via HDMI over CAT6 extender is interpreted correctly, when we set camera HDMI output to PsF (Forced 1080i).

Moulaythami

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 6:13 pm

Hi, the Pink and Green on Camera 1 still occuring with Atem Mini pro ISO and Hollyland Wireless HDMI transmitter. It's not a problem, as long as you didn't want to 4 HDMI inputs to be plugged on a wireless RGB system, but it needs to be more documented for the end user to be aware :roll:
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2024-04-14 à 20.12.03.png
Capture d’écran 2024-04-14 à 20.12.03.png (635.13 KiB) Viewed 259 times

Return to Live Production