How to avoid resetting Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini daily?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jojule

How to avoid resetting Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini daily?

PostFri May 22, 2020 3:48 pm

I have been using Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini for webinars and video conferencing. It is connected to iMac through thunderbolt cable.

Problem is that almost daily, I cannot find the video source in any of the applications that should see it: QuickTime/Google Meet/Zoom/... When I detach the thunderbolt cable wait for 15 seconds or so and plug it back, computer again recognizes the video source.

I have purchased total of three identical UltraStudio Mini recorders and have been using these with a handful of different computers. All behave the same: one cannot rely on recorder being available without restarting it.

Is there are way to avoid this or should I switch to different brand?

AndyMcHardy

Re: How to avoid resetting Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini daily

PostSat May 23, 2020 10:02 am

What Mac / Version of OSX are you using? And do you have the latest version of the Desktop Video utility installed? As I have a few UltraStudio Mini's and they work fine for me with Skype. For Zoom you need to unsign the app if you are on the latest version.

2018 MacMini (10.14.6) with Apple TB3 > TB2 Adapter
2014 MacBook Pro (10.13.6)
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

bzacky

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:26 am

My BM Mini Recorder doesn't show up in Skype as a possible source. My ATEM mini however does. The mini-recorder works with zoom (after I unsigned the app). But for some reason Skype won't see it. Anyone have luck getting Skype to see the mini recorder. I'm using the latest versions of Desktop Video and Skype on a MacMini. Thanks.

jojule

PostTue May 26, 2020 3:05 am

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015)
Latest MacOS
Latest BlackMagic Desktop Video utility

jojule

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Gave up with Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder, it was just too unreliable.

Replaced it with a $17 HDMI-USB converter (generic one listed as "Audio Video Capture Cards HDMI to USB HDMI Video Capture, Full HD 1080p USB 2.0 Record via DSLR Camcorder Action Cam, Facebook Portal TV Recorder, Live Broadcasting" on Amazon under brand "Kedok"). Have not used it for long yet, but this far seems to be working well.

Return to Live Production