Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mac Jaeger

Re: Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 am

Quote from the linked article:
As of May, there were just three models in the U.S. I got my hands on one to see how it works.

It doesn't seem tooo recent. Especially there is no mention of the new/added/changed firmware that JB was teasing us with, so while it's a good article there's no real news in it.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 am

Darkfable wrote:
KieranColey wrote:Got this email from CVP this morning...

If the resellers are complaining it just goes to show that keeping your customers completely in the dark About products they have ordered is not common practice. I guess Blackmagic just enjoy having a bad reputation for customer communication.

While it may well not be good practice, resellers complaining about being kept in the dark or fobbed off with excuses about when they are getting shipments is far from uncommon in my experience. And thats on products that have launched and shipped large amounts already.

KieranColey

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 am

JB just got the slr magic 35mm and said in a reply on twitter that he will be giving it a run and will be posting some footage! Seeing as its attached to the BMPCC in the photo this should hopefully mean new footage :)
https://twitter.com/brawlster/status/357421782682198016

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Ryan Jones wrote:
thatsfinebut wrote:
Ryan Jones wrote:They exist, and are in the US: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Producer/ ... ign=Buffer

Isn't that footage taken during NAB 2013? I know the video was posted yesterday but I am under the impression the footage is old and was uploaded at a later date.

The writer is a user on the "C-Mount on M4/3" group on Facebook, said it was done yesterday. Not sure, doesn't look like NAB.

Regardless, the writer gives the impression they don't know much about BMC video cameras.

Also, his comment about there not being a way to attach a EVF to the BMPCC is odd. I mean, the camera does have two 1/4-20 thread mount points. I would think that's enough for most clever EVF/loupe manufacturers.

-

Michael Coviello

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 5:08 pm

B and H just sent out this tweet:

Spending some time with the @Blackmagic_news Pocket Cinema Camera Today. Expected Availability 7/25 http://instagram.com/p/b3l6vPA8XB/

Samjack

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Michael Coviello wrote:B and H just sent out this tweet:

Spending some time with the @Blackmagic_news Pocket Cinema Camera Today. Expected Availability 7/25 http://instagram.com/p/b3l6vPA8XB/

So its arrived. Looks like USA again. Europe gets ignored.

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Well, at least we've been right with our assumption it might be officially anounced on july 25th, when Blackmagic invites to LA. Wouldn't it be nice if they could present the Production Camera on august 8th in NY?

Christine Peterson

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Ryan Jones wrote:They exist, and are in the US: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Producer/ ... ign=Buffer

I can't tell which event this was, but it's not NAB. Looks like a smaller event or trade show of some kind. We've had a couple demo units of the Pocket camera in the US since NAB, which make appearances like this from time to time. The Pocket Cinema Cameras have not officially started shipping yet.

Many people are also wondering if the two "Blackmagic Days" we have coming up in LA and NYC are some kind of launch event. They aren't launch events, they are simply events designed to showcase all our new products this year and an opportunity for customers to meet a few members of our team. It's a great chance to get expert advice on your setup, your workflow, which equipment will suit your needs, etc. We've had other "Blackmagic Roadshows" in the past in other regions of the world as well. (Here's an example from March: https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/sta ... 2169035776)
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Ryan Jones

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Also, his comment about there not being a way to attach a EVF to the BMPCC is odd. I mean, the camera does have two 1/4-20 thread mount points. I would think that's enough for most clever EVF/loupe manufacturers.

-

Seems like there are a bunch of users used to Olympus style clip on EVFs, which are a much more elegant EVF solution than 1/4" and HDMI. They're typically far inferior though.

bhook

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 2:26 am

Christine Peterson wrote:They aren't launch events

Why not?

Zorik_IL

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 4:06 am

Thanks God I didnt sell my GH2.
I ordered Pocket Camera from Israeli reseller ~ 2 months ago

Samjack

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 5:57 am

The only thing that comes between the 5DIII ML hack and BMD cameras is the speed of CF card. Everyday the prospect of faster CF cards becomes more real. The longer the waite the more momentum for Canon + ML hack cameras.

Vitorio Pagliuso

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 1:34 pm

The BH site change the status and now appears "New Item, Available for pre-order" no more 25 July. This a good or bad sign?

Matt Pritchard

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm not worried about these shipping. B&H already seems to have their hands on some, and Wooden Camera just released a bunch of rigs for them.

https://twitter.com/BHPhotoVideo/status ... 5389133825

hugh

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 5:12 pm

vitpag wrote:The BH site change the status and now appears "New Item, Available for pre-order" no more 25 July. This a good or bad sign?

Going from a pretty specific date to no date would seem like a bad thing to me. Maybe they're just now getting an idea from BMD about how available the camera will be, hence expecting orders to be filled over the next few months vs all of them be fulfilled his month.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Briwil wrote:
vitpag wrote:The BH site change the status and now appears "New Item, Available for pre-order" no more 25 July. This a good or bad sign?

Going from a pretty specific date to no date would seem like a bad thing to me. Maybe they're just now getting an idea from BMD about how available the camera will be, hence expecting orders to be filled over the next few months vs all of them be fulfilled his month.

B&H did the same thing earlier this month, changing their "July 25th" date to "Available for pre-order", and then they changed it back again.

So, what B&H says might not mean much.

In any event, it's not Aug. 1st yet, and even then it could be days after that before end-user customers start receiving new model cams ... without BMD having broken their (implied) "promise".

See:
viewtopic.php?p=63406&sid=7e98900098f53bc74d0756cbf4a0a06f#p63406

-

Christine Peterson

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 pm

mhood wrote:

Why not?

Here's a quote from our press release about the events that I think explains the intention further:

"We have had a lot of positive feedback from customers for the new products we announced at NAB 2013, and many people have asked for the opportunity to have additional demonstrations" said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. "The seminars are a great environment for the creative community to get hands on with the new products. And for many who actively participate in online forums and user group discussions, it’s also a great chance to meet face to face and share creative ideas."

If anyone wants to register for the event, here is the RSVP link: http://invite.blackmagicdesign.com/event2013/
Christine Peterson

John Waldorff

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Is there actually any canon lens adapter for the BPCC that can change the iris setting of non manual lenses?

Ryan Jones

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 10:02 pm

John Waldorff wrote:Is there actually any canon lens adapter for the BPCC that can change the iris setting of non manual lenses?

Yes, I posted one a few days ago, but some people have have had issues with quality.

Meta bones say they're releasing a speed booster later this year for m4/3 to EF, hopefully it'll be good!

adamroberts

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 pm

John Waldorff wrote:Is there actually any canon lens adapter for the BPCC that can change the iris setting of non manual lenses?

MTF Services have one:
http://www.mtfservices.com/home.html?pa ... egory_id=2

And so do Redrock Micro:
http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft

Not cheap tho...

adamroberts

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Ryan Jones wrote:

Yes, I posted one a few days ago, but some people have have had issues with quality.

Those don't change the aperture of the Canon lens. They add a new aperture behind the lens. This is in the wrong part of the light path and as a result causes vignetting and chromatic aberration.

John Waldorff

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 10:32 pm

adamroberts wrote:MTF Services have one:
http://www.mtfservices.com/home.html?pa ... egory_id=2

And so do Redrock Micro:
http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft

Not cheap tho...

Thank you. I will look into that.

Richard Oakes

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Ryan Jones wrote:

Those don't change the aperture of the Canon lens. They add a new aperture behind the lens. This is in the wrong part of the light path and as a result causes vignetting and chromatic aberration.

will this be the same on the metabones speedbooster? I was planning on using all my EF lenses on the pocket, what is the best way to do this?
Richard Oakes.

John Araki

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Maybe (and I'm hoping) it means that they'll have them for 25 July delivery, but that their pre-order queue will take that first shipment.

adamroberts

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm pretty sure Metabones are working on an electronic interface that will allow you to change the actual aperture in the EF lens from the MFT camera body like you do with a normal MTF lens.

This is what they managed to achieve with the EF to Sony E mount smart adaptor and speed booster.

Ryan Jones

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Much better explanation, thanks Adam.

If Metabones can get iris control in camera, that would be much better than those alternatives you linked to. Here's hoping!

Richard Oakes

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 11:27 pm

adamroberts wrote:I'm pretty sure Metabones are working on an electronic interface that will allow you to change the actual aperture in the EF lens from the MFT camera body like you do with a normal MTF lens.

This is what they managed to achieve with the EF to Sony E mount smart adaptor and speed booster.

That would be perfect! Any news on a release date?
Richard Oakes.

Jace Ross

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 5:13 am

Christine Peterson wrote:
mhood wrote:

Why not?

Here's a quote from our press release about the events that I think explains the intention further:

"We have had a lot of positive feedback from customers for the new products we announced at NAB 2013, and many people have asked for the opportunity to have additional demonstrations" said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. "The seminars are a great environment for the creative community to get hands on with the new products. And for many who actively participate in online forums and user group discussions, it’s also a great chance to meet face to face and share creative ideas."

If anyone wants to register for the event, here is the RSVP link: http://invite.blackmagicdesign.com/event2013/

Any chance of seeing similar events in Australia? I know that might not be something you know, just curious if anything is in the works.

Cheers,
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

matt harding

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 am

Second that, I would be interested in an event in Aus.

christiangruner

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:59 am

Or in Europe somewhere!

Benjamin Pearce

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 12:39 pm

matt harding wrote:Second that, I would be interested in an event in Aus.

I believe Blackmagic will be showing their products at SMPTE 2013 in Darling Harbour next week.

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 pm

wizprod wrote:Or in Europe somewhere!

Sometimes it seems they've never heard of Europe... No wonder, it's literally the other side of the world ;-) Still: i second that, it would be great to see BM somewhere on this continent!

Samjack

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Maybe because the Ozzies are getting battered by the Poms in the Ashes, in retaliation BMD impose an embargo against CVP :lol:

simonspear

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Matt Pritchard wrote:I'm not worried about these shipping. B&H already seems to have their hands on some, and Wooden Camera just released a bunch of rigs for them.

It is great that you appear to be getting some info from US suppliers, however the largest retailer in Europe hasn't heard a peep from BlackMagic. From the CVP website/email a couple of days ago:

"...despite constantly badgering Blackmagic for more and clearer information on behalf of our customers we are currently completely in the dark with respect to the true date on which the new Pocket Cinema Camera and 4K Cinema Camera will actually ship, let alone the volume of stock we are likely to receive when that day arrives."

I've got a couple of shoots that I'd love to use the Pocket and 4K cameras on and one of them in particular would be an incredible opportunity to capture some really hard to get/unique footage which sadly (for me) is an opportunity wasted in testing and showcasing the camera. Fortunately I've never counted on either the Pocket or 4K being available any time soon, but I can understand entirely the frustration of those who are expecting theirs to arrive in July, even if based on past history this was always going to be an unrealistic expectation.

What I really don't understand is why people defend the whole "well if they ship 1 camera in July then they are not lying approach". If testing/production schedules are really this tight then why on earth did they not just advertise as "Shipping August", "Shipping September" etc, etc. Does the marketing momentum of saying a camera will be ready months before it actually is really outweigh the disappointed customers and bad feeling/press that it creates?

Of course they could still ship as advertised and let's hope they do because like everyone else here I still can't wait to get my hands on these cameras! Could it all just be a wonderfully orchestrated "Treat them mean and keep them keen approach"??

LOL.
Last edited by simonspear on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Oakes

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 pm

simonspear wrote:
Matt Pritchard wrote:I'm not worried about these shipping. B&H already seems to have their hands on some, and Wooden Camera just released a bunch of rigs for them.

It is great that you appear to be getting some info from US suppliers, however the largest retailer in Europe hasn't heard a peep from BlackMagic. From the CVP website/email a couple of days ago:

"...despite constantly badgering Blackmagic for more and clearer information on behalf of our customers we are currently completely in the dark with respect to the true date on which the new Pocket Cinema Camera and 4K Cinema Camera will actually ship, let alone the volume of stock we are likely to receive when that day arrives."

I've got a couple of shoots that I'd love to use the Pocket and 4K cameras on and one of them in particular would be an incredible opportunity to capture some really hard to get/unique footage which sadly (for me) is an opportunity wasted in testing and showcasing the camera. Fortunately I've never counted on either the Pocket or 4K being available any time soon, but I can understand entirely the frustration of those who are expecting theirs to arrive in July, even if based on past history this was always going to be an unrealistic expectation.

What I really don't understand is why people defend the whole "well if they ship 1 camera in July then they are not lying approach". If testing/production schedules are really this tight then why on earth did they not just advertise as "Shipping August", "Shipping September" etc, etc. Does the marketing momentum of saying a camera will be ready months before it actually is really outweigh the disappointed customers and bad feeling/press that it creates?

Of course they could still ship as advertised and let's hope they do because like everyone else here I still can't wait to get my hands on these cameras! Could it is all be just a wonderfully orchestrated "Treat them mean and keep them keep approach"??

LOL.

If I ran a company with a terrible reputation for not delivering on time such as blackmagic, I would as you say push the date forward in expectation. If I thought it would be ready in July I would say August and ship on the first if August! I wouldn't say July then try and ship on the last day of July and probably balls the whole thing up, pissing off my entire customer base. That would be a really really stupid thing to do!
Richard Oakes.

RichardQuintero

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 2:40 pm

I dropped by the Adorama store in NYC yesterday and asked an employee if they had any updates on shipping. I was told that they may not get the pocket cams for another 2 months. Hopefully I was misinformed...

Christine Peterson

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:
wizprod wrote:Or in Europe somewhere!

Sometimes it seems they've never heard of Europe... No wonder, it's literally the other side of the world ;-) Still: i second that, it would be great to see BM somewhere on this continent!

We had a "Blackmagic Roadshow" in EMEA this past winter. Here's an example from March: https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/sta ... 2169035776

I'm sure there will be more events in the future, but I don't know of anything planned just yet.
Christine Peterson

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Darkfable wrote:
simonspear wrote:

... What I really don't understand is why people defend the whole "well if they ship 1 camera in July then they are not lying approach". If testing/production schedules are really this tight then why on earth did they not just advertise as "Shipping August", "Shipping September" etc, etc. Does the marketing momentum of saying a camera will be ready months before it actually is really outweigh the disappointed customers and bad feeling/press that it creates? ...

If I ran a company with a terrible reputation for not delivering on time such as blackmagic, I would as you say push the date forward in expectation. If I thought it would be ready in July I would say August and ship on the first if August! I wouldn't say July then try and ship on the last day of July and probably balls the whole thing up, pissing off my entire customer base. That would be a really really stupid thing to do!

As has been discussed before, it's a mystery to me at least why BMD feels compelled to announce relatively specific shipping "dates" so far in advance. I guess they believe it's best for their bottom line, but it makes no sense to me and many others.

For example, last April at NAB 2013, if BMD truly believed they'd have the cameras ready by Aug. 1st, I'd rather they'd announced something to the effect of, "We plan to start shipping the BMPCC and BMPC-4K by Aug. 1st or so, subject to change."

Or, why give any target timeframe at all? Instead just say, "Shipping will start at least several months from now. We'll make another announcement when they're ready to ship." In other words, "Coming soon; TBA."

If BMD did this, it would signal to end-users that the new cams are possibly quite a ways away, and to best not plan on their immediate availability. So, a customer might decide to buy a current model in-stock camera, or choose to wait an indeterminate time for a new one. But not expect the new cam by a certain "date".

However, BMD doesn't do this. They give target shipping dates. Maybe they feel this gives them some sort of competitive advantage, even though it irks some of their customers. I don't know.

In the meantime, it is what it is. Today is not Aug. 1st yet, and BMD may start shipping the new cams by then (if not sooner) to some of their distributors. After that the cams are shipped to dealers. If all goes well, BMD will have honestly kept their promise even if users only start receiving cams sometime in Aug.

I'm looking forward to receiving my new cam ASAP (a BMPC-4K), regardless.

-

bhook

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 5:34 pm

I think BMD utilizes "optimistic" shipping dates to grow preorders. I realize it is popular to believe that your preorder only affects your dealer and BMD doesn't benefit until the camera actually ships but I think that the more preorders a dealer has, the more dealers order from BMD and the more deposit those dealers pay to BMD. I doubt if BMD extends credit to all (or any) of their dealers, so if a dealer is sitting on a thousand preorders, they'll likely place an order with BMD for at least as many units and pay a significant deposit at the time of their order (if not pay in full at wholesale).

...makes sense to me but my wife tells me I'm a simpleton.
Last edited by bhook on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snickers

Kinoptik 5,7mm on the BPCC :)

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 5:34 pm

Hello,

This is my first post here on the forum.
I just placed an order for the BPCC yesterday, and by chance I came by a Kinoptik Tegea 5,7mm c mount lens today.

Inspired by this film; I have high hopes for this lens.

I hope employ it with a Tv Kowa 37,5mm f/1,1 lens as my documentary setup.

Any thoughts on how these lenses will work on the BPCC?

Kind regards

Fredrik, Norway.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 pm

mhood wrote:I think BMD utilizes "optimistic" shipping dates to grow preorders. I realize it is popular to believe that your preorder only affects your dealer and BMD doesn't benefit until the camera actually ships but I think that the more preorders a dealer has, the more dealers order from BMD and the more deposit those dealers pay to BMD. I doubt if BMD extends credit to all (or any) of their dealers, so if a dealer is sitting on a thousand preorders, they'll likely place an order with BMD for at least as many units and pay a significant deposit at the time of their order (if not pay in full at wholesale). ...

A "reasonable" theory. Good work if you can get it, I suppose.

Note to self: In wrong business. Become a manufacturer!

:lol:

-

Cristobal Infante

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 pm

the more dealers order from BMD and the more deposit those dealers pay to BMD

I doubt this is how it works, if every retailer had to put a deposit for every pre-order it would be a logistic nightmare. The retailer takes your deposit, so it can just make sure you are serious about the purchase and then can take the money swiftly once your reserved camera arrives.

bhook

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

So how is it you think this wholeselling thing works? Do you think manufacturers like BMD just send cameras out to folks like B&H for free? :lol:

Cristobal Infante

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Do you think manufacturers like BMD just send cameras out to folks like B&H for free?

If you read my post I was talking about a pre-orders deposits, not the actual delivery of the camera..

bhook

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 pm

bmcc.tv wrote:
Do you think manufacturers like BMD just send cameras out to folks like B&H for free?

If you read my post I was talking about a pre-orders deposits, not the actual delivery of the camera..

If you read my post, I was talking about the money BMD receives from dealers who order enough cameras to fulfill their preorders. Isn't language silly? :lol:

Cristobal Infante

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am

If you read my post, I was talking about the money BMD receives from dealers who order enough cameras to fulfill their preorders. Isn't language silly?

Sorry didn't realize you were the original poster :lol:

I guess the whole thing is probably more complex than what we imagine, and it's probably different depending on the size of each retailer. Bottom line I think they loose more custom than win with a camera delays, people just get fed up and buy something else.

Ironically now that the EFs are finally in-stock very few people are actually interested. Probably the same has happened with the MFT. Imagine six month ago I offered a MFT, people would have taken my arm off. Now? meh.

Have a good weekend!

Mac Jaeger

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 5:48 am

bmcc.tv wrote:with a camera delays, people just get fed up and buy something else.

Not here, since there is no alternative to the Pocket CC - at least not now, not at that price.

Ironically now that the EFs are finally in-stock very few people are actually interested. Probably the same has happened with the MFT. Imagine six month ago I offered a MFT, people would have taken my arm off. Now? meh.

There's only so many people who want/need that camera. It's been announced long ago and has been unavailable for many months - plenty of time for about everyone who wants one to get in line and preorder. Once the preorders are fullfilled there won't be much demand for the product, that was to be expected. Not a bad way (from a manufacturers point of view) to accurately gauge the number of cameras to build...

Richard Oakes

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 am

http://tinyurl.com/lpf5cs6 Ha Ha Ha! :P

11 days and counting Blackmagic!
Richard Oakes.

Oskari Mörsky

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 am

Darkfable wrote:http://tinyurl.com/lpf5cs6 Ha Ha Ha! :P

11 days and counting Blackmagic!

Yes! 11 more days until i dont have to eat my mft lens caps. :D I dont have any sauce, hopelly i dont have to buy it. :D :D :D Maga Morich is good sauce/pepper.

Richard Oakes

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 am

NEW BMPCC footage! I must say, it looks fantastic!

Richard Oakes.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography