ATEM Mini Pro with GoPro 7 Hero Black - HDMI fail

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MandyDroid

ATEM Mini Pro with GoPro 7 Hero Black - HDMI fail

PostThu May 28, 2020 3:56 pm

I got my new ATEM Mini Pro yesterday. I tested the device with three cameras; a Canon XF400 and 2 Go Pro 7 Hero Black devices. I connected a GoPro to the ATEM HDMI port 1, the Canon XF400 to port 2, and another GoPro to port 3.

The three devices seemed to work perfectly except when I tried to power on the GoPro in port 1 while the HDMI cable is connected - the HDMI of the device fails to start; I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in for the device to come to life on the ATEM.

I did many different tests trying to different adapters, cables, and camera settings. Finally I realized that the issue follows the port 1 only. I have now come to the realization that port 1 on the ATEM does not allow the GoPro HDMI to start while it is plugged in. The issue does not occur with my Canon XF400 only with GoPros.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Does anyone know of a setting in the ATEM that may change the startup behavior of a HDMI connected device.

OK here is the direct stated issue: When a GoPro 7 Hero Black is plugging into the HDMI port 1 of the ATEM mini pro and then powered on the HDMI does not start on the ATEM until the device is unplugged from the HDMI cable and then reconnected.

rafael.saccomani

Re: ATEM Mini Pro with GoPro 7 Hero Black - HDMI fail

PostFri May 29, 2020 2:16 pm

my go pro does not work .... doesn't even show the image! Very frustrated!
Mobile Software engineer
in the free time - Áudio Engineer/Musician/Composer

Denny Smith

PostFri May 29, 2020 5:07 pm

GoPro cameras are very problematic on BMD equipment.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rafael.saccomani

PostFri May 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Denny Smith wrote:GoPro cameras are very problematic on BMD equipment.
DS

there any way how to fix this?!
Mobile Software engineer

rafael.saccomani

PostSat May 30, 2020 11:17 am

I solved my problem!!! I just tested other cable and works fine!!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Mobile Software engineer

Denny Smith

PostSun May 31, 2020 2:45 am

Glad you got it sorted, cables are always the first thing to check, when you have a connection issue.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

steveblackmagic

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 2:10 am

I had a problem with the initial connection of my (4) GoPro Hero 7 Black cameras to my ATEM Mini Pro. I bought four Startech 5 meter HDMI to HDMI micro cables and the first cable didn't work and I tried it numerous times with the other three cameras, wiggled the ends of the cord etc. It just would not work. After finding this post, I then tried another cable and it worked. In sum: one of the four 16 foot HDMI cables did not work. Confirming what other responders in this post mentioned. I much prefer just getting another cable versus getting four $150 DR-HDMI adapter boxes - which is what I thought I would have to do when I first started researching the camera one issue! Whew! (knock on wood : - )

Gportela

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 2:43 pm

I had a problem with the initial connection of my (4) GoPro Hero 7 Black cameras to my ATEM Mini Pro. I bought four Startech 5 meter HDMI to HDMI micro cables and the first cable didn't work and I tried it numerous times with the other three cameras, wiggled the ends of the cord etc. It just would not work. After finding this post, I then tried another cable and it worked. In sum: one of the four 16 foot HDMI cables did not work. Confirming what other responders in this post mentioned. I much prefer just getting another cable versus getting four $150 DR-HDMI adapter boxes - which is what I thought I would have to do when I first started researching the camera one issue! Whew! (knock on wood : - )

Steve. I've been having the same problem with my Go Pro Hero 7 Black using with my Atem Mini Pro. Would you be able to tell us the name of the HDMI cable that worked for you and a possible Amazon link perhaps?
I too was very frustrated to come across this issue out the box (everything isn't plug and play).

Has anyone also experience this same problem with the multiview from the HDMI OUT on a separate monitor?
Tried hooking up a DVI to HDMI cable on a Samsung SyncMaster 204B LCD monitor and won't even recognize a signal! Wish Blackmagic Design could shed some recommendations with this!

vdrumv

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 1:02 am

Yes. I’m having the same issue. Does anyone have a solid solution? I see that it may be issues with the cable. If you’ve found an specific HDMI to HDMI mini cable that resolved this can you please share a link or amazon product link.

So very frustrating. I’ve purchased 4 GoPro cameras specifically for this only to learn that it may not work.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

erleichda

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 4:04 pm

I think this answers your questions:

I just bought cheaper gopro knock-offs instead of the $80 Dr. HDMI for the same money.

steveblackmagic

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 4:47 am

For whoever was asking what HDMI cables I use that work- I NAMED THEM IN THE POST, but I'll repeat their name here: I got four STARTECH ACTIVE HIGH SPEED HDMI MALE TO MICRO-HDMI MALE 15'. I get them from B&H Photo - The B&H # is STHDADMM5MA. The manufacture's # is HDADMM5MA. I might have been mistaken that one did not work. I am only now getting back to setting up my video system. BTW - I never received a notice from BlackMagic that someone commented on my post - if I did, I would have responded sooner. Best wishes with your video endeavors.

Return to Live Production