ATEM Mini Pro - How to activate PREVIEW

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

J_Hallor

ATEM Mini Pro - How to activate PREVIEW

PostThu May 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Just got my ATEM Mini Pro and have been succeffuly using it for webcast over Skype. Great and affordable tool. But i cannot get PREVIEW to work on my multiview screen.

- I use basic set up, harware control only, no software connected.
- Two video cameras connceted, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, no sound
- PC with PowerPoint presentation and movies on HDMI 3, with sound
- Sound input on Mic 1
- Monitor on HDMI out
- Streaming to Skype, via laptop, on USB out.
- All input shows up in small input windows

My problem:
- Can´t get preview from any HDMI
- Preview screen shows same as PGM
- Shows PREVIEW during transition (2.0 sec)

Let´s say I am broadcasting HDMI 1, and want HDMI3 to show on PREVIEW, and get the GREEN button. And then use CUT to get HDMI3 to PGM.

Is that possible to activate without software control? Or have I missunderstood the instructions?

/"Noobie"

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM Mini Pro - How to activate PREVIEW

PostThu May 28, 2020 5:47 pm

Hello Joachim. Use the ATEM Setup Utility connected with a USB cable to set the ATEM Mini to Program/Preview mode.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Denny Smith

PostThu May 28, 2020 6:15 pm

When you connect the ATEM Mini via USB and run the ATEM co tool program, the first or second screen offers the Preview option, check the Preview box, and you are done.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

J_Hallor

PostFri May 29, 2020 6:54 am

Guys,

Thanks for the feeback. It was i just guessed, I need to connect to a PC and run some software. Then I will do so. Problem is I´m working at a security company and we have hard restrictions regarding installation of software. But i will try to use some other computer.

Thanks!

Denny Smith

PostFri May 29, 2020 5:30 pm

You can use a laptop to do this. Once configured, he ATEM will remember the setting.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

zetrick

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 5:38 am

Hi there,

I encounter a related problem.

It does not change a thing if I switch between preview mode and A/B switching in the Atem Software Control settings. When I press an input source button on the hardware switcher the source is directly live on the program monitor.
When I select the source in the software window in the preview section it (naturally) works as expected.

I use the latest ATEM Control 8.3 With an ATEM mini pro.
Already reinstalled the software, used USB insted of network connection.

Any guess what can be the issue here? Firmware issue? I am running out of ideas...

Regards, Patrick

kt_Timmi

PostFri Jul 17, 2020 4:29 pm

Hey Zetrick!

Did u manage to find a solution to tihs problem? I have the same issue... The Preview Mode is activated however it switches directly to a camera when pressing a button...

Regards,
Tim

zetrick wrote:Hi there,

I encounter a related problem.

It does not change a thing if I switch between preview mode and A/B switching in the Atem Software Control settings. When I press an input source button on the hardware switcher the source is directly live on the program monitor.
When I select the source in the software window in the preview section it (naturally) works as expected.

I use the latest ATEM Control 8.3 With an ATEM mini pro.
Already reinstalled the software, used USB insted of network connection.

Any guess what can be the issue here? Firmware issue? I am running out of ideas...

Regards, Patrick

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Hello. What you are wanting to change is in the ATEM Setup Utility via USB. Change the setting between Program Preview and Cut Bus Mode. The Software setting relates to the fader position and is a completely different function.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

zetrick

PostSun Jul 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi Gary,

thank you very much! That was what I was looking for. The naming of the options in the ATEM Software Control settings is not equal but similar to the one in the ATEM Setup Utility.

@Tim: Just start the Setup Utility and press on the left one of the two symbols (card). There you find Panel Settings -> Switching Mode

Kevin B

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:09 pm

Hello,
I have the same issue with the ATEM Mini (not pro) and have used the ATEM Setup Utility to set my device from Cut Bus mode to Program Preview. The ATEM Mini now has a red “program” button and green “preview” button. However the HDMI output is not showing the preview video when selected. Any suggestions out there?

Orange

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 9:43 am

Hi all - hope you managed to fix this but if not, please let me help.

I've only recently received my Atem Mini, and I have found a few issues when using it but each time the solution was in the software - and each time the issue was my lack of understanding.

In this case, I have replicated this issue, where the preview option is selected in the set-up utility, the preview buttons show green, but the output is still the same as the programme output. To resolve this, go into the software control utility, and click on "output" from the menu bar. From the options, select "preview". This will give you the preview output you require.

Return to Live Production