Live streaming and recording with 6 cams

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Perocat

Live streaming and recording with 6 cams

PostFri May 29, 2020 2:28 am

Hello everybody,

I am the artistic director of an association. We organize pipe organ concerts.
Because of the locations (churches) and the organ position (usually up height at the end of the church) we have up to 6 cams at the organ console and stream the signal to a beamer in the front of the church where we have a big screen.

The cams are various (go pro, Sony Handycam,...) and we use their HDMI output into an HDMI matrix where we choose the input to send to the beamer. Unfortunately we can't use DSLR cameras because of the recording reason (see below) - most of them are limited in recording time or can't record and output at the same time!

We also record the audio and video of the concerts. For the video part I have to record with each cam individually into 6 micro SDs (so each time start and stop each cam, synchronize the clips after the concerts and so on...).
Then I edit the data and produce the videos and upload them on YouTube.

Now we would like to improve our setup and be able to:
- live stream the concerts with YouTube (we already have an HDMI to USB-C card from Elgato model HD60S+)
- record every cam directly from our switch/computer/... without using 6 separate SDs and have to click and check each time that every cam is recording. It is important to be able to record at the native resolution of the cams (e.g. 4k output from the gopros) even if the Beamer output resolution is 1080p.

I'd like to know what you suggest as products to do this things. Please take note that the setup must be movable between the concerts locations (19" rack?)

Thank you for your help!

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: Live streaming and recording with 6 cams

PostFri May 29, 2020 11:31 pm

We use Hyperdecks for recording program feed (primary and backup recorder) and all other individual sources ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Perocat

PostSun May 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Is there an Hyperdeck to record simultaneously many channels and a bypass to send the signal also to the video switcher? I watched on the product line but I didn't find something like this. If I have to buy an Hyperdeck for each cam, then I can just use the integrated recording function as I do now...

drphil02

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 3:41 am

So the first question I have to ask is why are you using HDMI? Its a consumer grade interface and has a limited distance before the signal drops out. If your going to do it right I would ditch the HDMI signal and move to SDI. You can drive SDI 100 meters (333'). You can either Drop a Blackmagic Design 563980Z-12 DeckLink Quad 2 8-Channel card in a PC and stream to you'r CDN of choice using a software switcher or use an ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K. Connected to a laptop to stream through.

If you need 4K to manipulate the shot in post I understand; however, 4K will require a separate recorder per source. If you drop to 1080 you can record 4 sources on a single AJA KiPro 4K recorder. Sorry, I had a Decklink Pro Recorder once that blew a power supply and BMD wouldn't repair it, they suggested I buy a new one. That was the last BMD device I bought with in internal power supply.

If you can do 1080P, I recommend a small Marshall Electronics MACV502 camera. you can also connect them to a Marshall Electronics CV-RCP-V2 to paint the cameras. I did use GoPro's for a while, but found them to be unreliable and there is a serious lack of control. You can also use small PTZ cameras if you want to move the cameras around.

Hope this helps

Perocat

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 1:46 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I use HDMI because of the standard output of GoPro, Sony Handycam and so on... Switching to SDI could be done but I don't need more than 10m cable lenght from the organ consolle to the video switcher.
What I absolutely need is a realtime video playback on the screen because the audio is "source direct" from the organ which is obviously not amplified, so if the video signal to the beamer has delay, the public at the concert will see it!

To send the signal after the switcher to the beamer (which is 50/70m far) I use an HDMI/HDBaseT over Ethernet converter which has very few delay (about 100ms).

With the AJA KiPro I could record 4 cams in HD but not more. What if the recording is done by a PC with two 4x capture cards as it is always done for audio recording using DAW software (Sequoia, Samplitude, Cubase and so on)? Is there something similar for the video?

Perocat

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 11:20 pm

Do you have any other suggestions? :?:

Return to Live Production