Cyberpunk 2077 fan film : Phoenix Program

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Vi-Dan

Cyberpunk 2077 fan film : Phoenix Program

PostThu May 28, 2020 9:33 pm

Hey Guys,

I wanna share with you our first teaser to our Cyberpunk 2077 fan film: Phoenix Program.

shot on Ursa mini Pro G2 PL mount
- SLR MAGIC apo hyperprime 32mm, 50mm - 85mm PL t 2.1
- Tokina ATX 11-20 mm T.2.9
- Blackmist pro 1/4
- edited in Davinci Resolve and VFX in Resolve fusion

hope you like it !!

Ellory Yu

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 fan film : Phoenix Program

PostFri May 29, 2020 3:31 am

Hey Vi-Dan, that's a pretty cool teaser. I will like to see it. Maybe you can talk about and share a bit of the BTS and the technicality of making this picture. Well done and best of luck to you!

This is what happens when you put the equipments in the right hands, have a good talent pool, and talented crew. It's not about the gear.

The John Wick of Indie Films. :). For a sec, I thought I saw Keanu. :D
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Vi-Dan

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:20 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Hey Vi-Dan, that's a pretty cool teaser. I will like to see it. Maybe you can talk about and share a bit of the BTS and the technicality of making this picture. Well done and best of luck to you!

This is what happens when you put the equipments in the right hands, have a good talent pool, and talented crew. It's not about the gear.

The John Wick of Indie Films. :). For a sec, I thought I saw Keanu. :D

Hey Ellory !
Thank you so much!!

here are some BTS photos!

equipment:
i used most of the time ronin 2 and tilta max armor man 3
lighting > ape sticks, bunch of aputure MC, boling P1, 2kw spotters, Yongnuo 300 and 600 (oldschool :D )
Attachments
83258002_179839456418641_7781883121422565376_n.jpg
83258002_179839456418641_7781883121422565376_n.jpg (250.57 KiB) Viewed 2048 times

Robert Niessner

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:33 am

Vi-Dan, with the Tilta Armor-Man rig you blended perfectly into the futuristic scene :-)
What's your thoughts on the whole rig? Did you like it? Did it help with the weight of the rig?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Adam Silver

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:39 am

This looks f-ing awesome. Can't wait to see the full feature. Vi-Dan, was it a one camera shoot on a Ursa Mini Pro G1? G2? Any Pocket's used as secondary cameras? Shot in BRAW or ProRes? What flavor of either?

Thanks for your post. Very inspiring!

Vi-Dan

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:59 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Vi-Dan, with the Tilta Armor-Man rig you blended perfectly into the futuristic scene :-)
What's your thoughts on the whole rig? Did you like it? Did it help with the weight of the rig?

Hey robert!

hhmmm before i had already the tilta armor man 2 and was actually very happy with it. it takes the weight. now with armor man 3 it is def stronger, but the whole system is heavy as well.. :/ i feel a lil bit clumsy tho. But it does help, for a shoot like that with a lot of action, it is unthinkable without any supporting rigs.
> I used readyrig and easy rig in the past. its alright, but armorman was always a better choice for me.

Vi-Dan

PostFri May 29, 2020 9:01 am

Adam Silver wrote:This looks f-ing awesome. Can't wait to see the full feature. Vi-Dan, was it a one camera shoot on a Ursa Mini Pro G1? G2? Any Pocket's used as secondary cameras? Shot in BRAW or ProRes? What flavor of either?

Thanks for your post. Very inspiring!

thank you !!! it will be a 20 min short tho :D not that much money left for a feature T_T.

mostly we used/ will use only 1x g2 , on 2 days we had 2x g2s on set.

shot on BRAW Q5

Robert Niessner

PostFri May 29, 2020 9:27 am

Vi-Dan wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:Vi-Dan, with the Tilta Armor-Man rig you blended perfectly into the futuristic scene :-)

Hey robert!

hhmmm before i had already the tilta armor man 2 and was actually very happy with it. it takes the weight. now with armor man 3 it is def stronger, but the whole system is heavy as well.. :/ i feel a lil bit clumsy tho. But it does help, for a shoot like that with a lot of action, it is unthinkable without any supporting rigs.
> I used readyrig and easy rig in the past. its alright, but armorman was always a better choice for me.

Thanks for your insights! I had always the feeling that the ReadyRig and EasyRig would be the wrong direction for this and the Armor Man looked like a better solution.

ATM I am leaning towards a combination of Tiffen Steadymate (for gimbals) + the new Zhiyun Crane 3S, as this seems to be the less heavy and bulky way of getting the camera moved plus it stabilizes the Z-axis at the same time.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

christianscott

PostFri May 29, 2020 10:57 am

This might be the coolest **** I have seen filmed on a Bm IMO. Please post more bts :)

Adam Langdon

PostFri May 29, 2020 1:13 pm

Love it, man! Visual effects looked pretty good too!
Great capture of fighting scenes, too.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Ellory Yu

PostFri May 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Thanks for sharing the BTS. That Tilta Armor is sick! I've always was enamored on getting one. Maybe someday. Those Apurture MC RGBWW looks really good.

Robert Niessner wrote:Thanks for your insights! I had always the feeling that the ReadyRig and EasyRig would be the wrong direction for this and the Armor Man looked like a better solution.

ATM I am leaning towards a combination of Tiffen Steadymate (for gimbals) + the new Zhiyun Crane 3S, as this seems to be the less heavy and bulky way of getting the camera moved plus it stabilizes the Z-axis at the same time.

I'm leaning towards the same too - a vest and arm with the Crane 3S. SmallRig is coming out next month with a dual handle for the Crane 3S, and possible a support system as well will be in the horizon. I think that is one way to go with the gimbal. Waiting to see what they come out with.

Vi-Dan wrote:thank you !!! it will be a 20 min short tho :D not that much money left for a feature T_T.
mostly we used/ will use only 1x g2 , on 2 days we had 2x g2s on set.
shot on BRAW Q5

What's the budget like if I may ask? Looks like a fun 20 minutes to watch. Keep us posted. Your work is inspirational! Thanks again for sharing.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography