Connecting ATEM TVS to 2019 MacBook Pro?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mgarner

Connecting ATEM TVS to 2019 MacBook Pro?

PostFri May 29, 2020 3:41 pm

I am preparing to make a big Blackmagic purchase for corporate streaming. I have not been able to find a definitive "How to" diagram or tutorial explaining exactly how to connect the ATEM Television Studio HD to a new 2019 MacBook Pro via USB-C. I know a capture card is required...is there a recommended capture card, dongle, adapter, cable, etc? Do I use the CONTROL, USB 2.0, or one of the SDI OUTPUTS to connect to the capture card? Thanks in advance for your help!

Denny Smith

Re: Connecting ATEM TVS to 2019 MacBook Pro?

PostFri May 29, 2020 4:50 pm

The USBC connector is for updating firmware, and to initially configure the ATEM. If you want to stream with thenTVS, you need to use the SDI program out to a capture box that accepts a SDI video signal, like a BMD Ultra Studio which users the Thunderbolt connection to the MacBook. See: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio

The ATEM Studio HD Manual goes over the various inputs and outputs and how to connect the ATEM to a computer.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

mgarner

Re: Connecting ATEM TVS to 2019 MacBook Pro?

PostFri May 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback Denny! I spoke with a very helpful BMD support rep after I posted the question. The BMD UltraStudio HD seems to be the missing link! I will add it to my order.

Return to Live Production