Time display on Hyperdeck Studio Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Martin Reed

Time display on Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostSat May 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Today I updated the software on my Hyperdeck Studio Mini (to v7.1). Under the old software, each clip I recorded began at 00:00:00, but now the time on the display has become cumulative - so if my first clip is say 5 minutes long, the second clip now starts at 5:01 (not zero). This is a bit annoying because I like to be able to know how long each clip is as I am recording it (the talent tends to go way over time :D !). I am wondering if one of the settings has changed - can anyone help? Essentially I need the display time to reset to zero at the beginning of each clip.

Thank you!
Last edited by Martin Reed on Mon May 25, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine
Board Games, Role Playing Games ... and more!

Denny Smith

Re: Time display on Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostSat May 23, 2020 5:56 pm

Check to see if the HD Studio Mini reset TC to continuous Free Run, or is not resetting back to 0:00 if in Record Run mode. Check the menus to see what the options are.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun May 24, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Martin Reed

PostSun May 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Forgive me if I am being slow but I don't quite follow what you are recommending. I think I have tried all the possible combinations on the settings menu of the actual HDSM. The one I thought might do the trick was to fix the timecode to 00:00:00 in the settings menu, then choose "preset" which I assumed would begin each recording at that preset (ie zero) but sadly that didn't happen. I believe there is a timecode setting option in the setup menu which you run via the USB connection - is that what you are referring to?

Thanks for your help.
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

Denny Smith

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:32 pm

I think so, if that is where the TC is being set and controlled from.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Martin Reed

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm

OK thanks - I shall investigate and report back. :)

PS If anyone else has other suggestions, feel free to chip in!
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

Martin Reed

PostMon May 25, 2020 11:45 am

OK here is my update:

Within the Timecode menu on the HDM there are the following options:

Timecode input: Input/Last Clip/Preset (a further option, External, is greyed out)
Timecode output: Clip/Timeline
Timecode preset: (entered by user)

I have tried all combinations of the input and output selections without success. Choosing "input" on the T/C input menu runs the clock all the time without reference to whether the machine is recording or not.

I then connected the HDM to the setup utility. There are two main options here - Record where one can select the codec, and Trigger (with the options None/SDI in/out/Timecode Run). I currently have this on "none".

Below that is a Timecode section. Timecode output is set to "on" with the choice of "off" greyed out. None of the Trigger options in the section above releases the menu.

I think I have run out of ideas - any more thoughts? I am wondering about rolling back to a previous version of the firmware but that doesn't sound like the proper solution.

Thanks.
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

Denny Smith

PostMon May 25, 2020 5:29 pm

Try selecting TC Run... “None” selection is giving you Free Run TC (clock continues to run)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon May 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Note that there are other people that have reported timecode issues with the HyperDeck Mini using firmware 7.1, and they ended up rolling back to the 7.0 firmware to correct the problem, as described in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111382

So it's worth trying this to see if the behavior is different with the older firmware on your unit as well.

Martin Reed

PostTue May 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Thanks! I'll take up the cudgels on there ...
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

Martin Reed

PostTue May 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Try selecting TC Run... “None” selection is giving you Free Run TC (clock continues to run)
Cheers

Tried that but sadly no change. Rollback to v7.0 seems favourite - I've put in a query to BM support but no reply as yet.
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

Martin Reed

PostFri May 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Martin Reed wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Try selecting TC Run... “None” selection is giving you Free Run TC (clock continues to run)
Cheers

Tried that but sadly no change. Rollback to v7.0 seems favourite - I've put in a query to BM support but no reply as yet.

I've now rolled back to v7.0 (although confusingly the HD Utility welcome screen says it's v6.0??) and my problem has been solved. The downside, of course, is that I have lost all the additional functionality brought in with v7.1. Hopefully BM can sort this out for all of us and release an update very soon.
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

Denny Smith

PostFri May 29, 2020 4:51 pm

You are up to date, then.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun May 31, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri May 29, 2020 9:50 pm

Martin Reed wrote:I've now rolled back to v7.0 (although confusingly the HD Utility welcome screen says it's v6.0??) and my problem has been solved.
HyperDeck update 7.0 only included features for the HyperDeck Extreme 8K, it didn't include any updates for the HyperDeck Studio Mini. The last firmware update with changes that applied to the HyperDeck Studio Mini was version 6.0. This is why it reports 6.0 as the firmware version even though you have version 7.0 of the software installed.

Denny Smith

PostSun May 31, 2020 3:22 am

Good catch Dave, I didn’t check that one. Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Martin Reed

PostSun May 31, 2020 12:09 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:
Martin Reed wrote:I've now rolled back to v7.0 (although confusingly the HD Utility welcome screen says it's v6.0??) and my problem has been solved.
HyperDeck update 7.0 only included features for the HyperDeck Extreme 8K, it didn't include any updates for the HyperDeck Studio Mini. The last firmware update with changes that applied to the HyperDeck Studio Mini was version 6.0. This is why it reports 6.0 as the firmware version even though you have version 7.0 of the software installed.

Ah right. But there is now v7.1 (from April 2020) which certainly has changes - in particular to the timecode menu (which is where my problem started, of course). And the BM website support section says these features are included in v7.1.

What's new in HyperDeck Setup 7.1

HyperDeck Studio Mini and HyperDeck Extreme Control.

Adds AAC codec to H.264 for HyperDeck Studio Mini
Adds interlaced support to H.264 for HyperDeck Studio Mini
Adds multi deck control to the HyperDeck Extreme Control
Improves connectivity between the HyperDeck Extreme Control and the HyperDeck Studio Mini
Increases clip length before spilling to a new clip on the HyperDeck Studio Mini
Improves network and FTP performance on the HyperDeck Studio Mini

Am I missing something?
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSun May 31, 2020 11:42 pm

Martin Reed wrote:Ah right. But there is now v7.1 (from April 2020) which certainly has changes - in particular to the timecode menu (which is where my problem started, of course). And the BM website support section says these features are included in v7.1.
Yes, the 7.1 update includes new features that apply to the HyperDeck Mini, so if you install software version 7.1 and update the firmware on your HyperDeck, the HyperDeck Utility should say 7.1 is installed.

I was addressing the question of why when you reverted back to the 7.0 software, the HyperDeck Utility said that firmware version 6.0 was being used. That is because the 7.0 update did not include any new features for the HyperDeck Mini, so the 6.0 firmware was applied as that was the most recent HyperDeck Mini firmware as of the 7.0 release.

So the firmware release history relevant to the HyperDeck Mini went like this:
HyperDeck 5.0 - initial version
HyperDeck 5.1 - DNxHD and DNxHR support
HyperDeck 5.2 - FTP file transfer improvements
HyperDeck 6.0 - H.264 recording
HyperDeck 7.1 - AAC audio, interlaced H.264, longer clip lengths, additional FTP improvements

There were other HyperDeck software versions in between some of these, but they did not include any changes for the HyperDeck Mini, only the other HyperDeck models.

Martin Reed

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:
Martin Reed wrote:Ah right. But there is now v7.1 (from April 2020) which certainly has changes - in particular to the timecode menu (which is where my problem started, of course). And the BM website support section says these features are included in v7.1.
Yes, the 7.1 update includes new features that apply to the HyperDeck Mini, so if you install software version 7.1 and update the firmware on your HyperDeck, the HyperDeck Utility should say 7.1 is installed.

I was addressing the question of why when you reverted back to the 7.0 software, the HyperDeck Utility said that firmware version 6.0 was being used. That is because the 7.0 update did not include any new features for the HyperDeck Mini, so the 6.0 firmware was applied as that was the most recent HyperDeck Mini firmware as of the 7.0 release.

So the firmware release history relevant to the HyperDeck Mini went like this:
HyperDeck 5.0 - initial version
HyperDeck 5.1 - DNxHD and DNxHR support
HyperDeck 5.2 - FTP file transfer improvements
HyperDeck 6.0 - H.264 recording
HyperDeck 7.1 - AAC audio, interlaced H.264, longer clip lengths, additional FTP improvements

There were other HyperDeck software versions in between some of these, but they did not include any changes for the HyperDeck Mini, only the other HyperDeck models.

Got it! Thanks for the clarification. :)

I have now had a preliminary response from BM suggesting I try again with v7.1 to see if it was a corrupt installation - I'll post when I've tried that one.
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

ishootyou.com

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm

I have now had a preliminary response from BM suggesting I try again with v7.1 to see if it was a corrupt installation - I'll post when I've tried that one.

Weird I thought they'd admitted there was a bug by suggesting to downgrade to 7.0
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

Martin Reed

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 5:44 pm

ishootyou.com wrote:

Weird I thought they'd admitted there was a bug by suggesting to downgrade to 7.0

No, it wasn't BM who suggested a rollback - think it came from another forum user. I've had further emails from BM tech guy (Mike Bradbury) and they are looking into it - I've sent him all my analysis and confirmation that going back to v7.0 solves the problem. But if others are experiencing the same issue it would be worth letting them know.
Martin Reed
Technical Director
G*M*S Magazine

Return to Live Production