Forum Suggestion: The Reverse Block.

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Wayne Steven

Forum Suggestion: The Reverse Block.

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 6:27 pm

The ability to choose to hide threads and posts from certain users, who are just negative contributors. This isolates trolls from seeing your posts to negatively comment or stalk them.

The ability to normally block users is counter productive, as they can still see your posts and say disruptive and illegal things which you no longer can see, forming illegitimate opinion in the minds of other members.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Mon May 25, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Jim Simon

Re: Forum Suggestion: The Reverse Block.

PostSun May 24, 2020 9:32 pm

At the risk of "proving your point", this is a horrible suggestion. The idea of blocking criticism is highly destructive to a free society.

If you don't get that, you may want to take a closer look at your signature.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Wayne Steven

PostSun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm

I think you should think before you type (I know about the mistake).

The reverse block is solely about dealing with stalkers, the normal block is actually the brain dead worse idea. With this, you can hide your activity from them, rather than hide their activity from you while the assasinate your character and speak lot of crap about whatever you are trying to discuss without them coming into every last conversation and producing a sh.. storm, as one of there .... suggested.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Jim Simon

PostMon May 25, 2020 9:58 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:The reverse block is solely about dealing with stalkers

The reasoning is irrelevant. It's a bad idea. Twitter does this and they shouldn't.

If you put it on the "public notice board", everyone needs to be able to read it. If you don't want that, then send it to specific people.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Wayne Steven

PostMon May 25, 2020 11:42 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:The reverse block is solely about dealing with stalkers

The reasoning is irrelevant. It's a bad idea. Twitter does this and they shouldn't.

If you put it on the "public notice board", everyone needs to be able to read it. If you don't want that, then send it to specific people.

The reasoning is totally relevant, not having it is the bad idea. You need to get out of the old stereo type of supporting the standard way as acceptable, when it's not. We don't support stalkers and harrassers following people around to do stuff to them in real life, we SHOULD NOT here. We have the ability to have a public hearing except a few trouble makers, is a good idea, we practice that in public forums in real life already. But you are yet to show any reasoning at all as to why it's not a good idea, or best the way it is, or why present blocking is effective, nothing, but going on without logic to cut across what is said which rather proves my point. You are trying to conform people to your group think despite how bad and wrong it is, based on no value argument or logic, and you can't help yourself, but to come in and disrupt in this way. If I were you and you were me, and you pointed out the rational case was the opposite of what I was espousing, I would look at it and agree, but we are not each other and you want me to do the wrong thing!

codedeltajames

PostTue May 26, 2020 8:49 am

This is a moderated forum. If people are harassing, stalking, abusing you, then report their posts and let the moderators deal with it. Blocking people from seeing your posts when they're logged in is not a way of preventing people from doing what you are accusing and won't prevent them from being able to respond to your posts in any way.

In real life we don't treat stalkers by somehow forcing them to ignore us, we report them to the police, and that's how it works in moderated places like this.

Wayne Steven

PostTue May 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Well, at least that's getting there. Ok, the reverse block is your with straining order, and as it's basically your own personal space in public, you are telling them back off and keeping them off you. See. I believe these people have no right to even be here, but don't want to get people chucked off, but at the same time they show a lack of ability to be logical or civil to logic, funny people, unusual, a bit handicapped. If a bunch of civilised intellects are having a grown up conversation getting to grips with the heaviest of logic, you don't want yobo's in there persecuting and cutting across. A forum is absolutely not the street, it is a series of rooms that the public maybe able to view but only certain people should be participating in. If what is said in the room is above your head, don't go trying to pull it down, leave! I don't go into a theoretical quantum physics room and telling people what they should think to everything they actually no about. I only have a limited number of things I know about in the area to contribute, and the rest in sitting listening and asking questions and learning. Now, I can get my head around things classically (before the brain damage) but some things are beyond my knowledge experience logic or working out.

Now, apart from really not wanting to chuck people off, wishing things to get along (though as a site owner, the axe would be swinging like a ceiling fan, to make space for certain people and practices which are good for truth justice liberty and logic:) ). Apart from that moderation in many places (but not here) isn't good and reluctant to deal with persecutors. So, no, it doesn't help that much, and blocking is just bonkers, reverse blocking would require significant effort, which you then complain about them doing. So, yes 90% of the time I think it will work really well, increasing a lot more with old hands over time. I don't really see what you are saying as very effective, otherwise I wouldn't have started the thread. We need world wide forum and moderation laws to. I've seriously seen this growing for decades, and used to be on the old gentlemen like forums, and have had a lot of time to observe consider solutions. There are actually many solutions, which would make forums a lot mire effective and better. A new forum system is something on my list. If you go over to my other thread, I will probably be discussing a way where certain things like that could be achieved cheaply.

landyvlad

PostThu May 28, 2020 5:57 am

Wow. Just... wow.

First let's be clear - Blackmagic have no control over features like that - you'd need to have that available in phpBB software as an option first, even if BM forum admins did agree. Which they appear not too.

If a bunch of civilised intellects are having a grown up conversation getting to grips with the heaviest of logic, you don't want yobo's in there persecuting and cutting across.

So evidently you consider yourself as a civilised intellect in that polarised categoraistion eh. So who makes that judgement of other people? You as well?

forum is absolutely not the street, it is a series of rooms that the public maybe able to view but only certain people should be participating in.

"Certain people" eh?

, funny people, unusual, a bit handicapped.

Really? You really said (wrote) that ?!

We need world wide forum and moderation laws to.

Actually that's the LAST thing we need or want.
As Reagan said - “The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”

If what someone else posts is consistent with forum rules - that's all that matters.

If you get offended.. so what? You have a right to get offended but can't expect the world to revolve around you. The best way to deal with people on a forum you are offended by is not to argue with them, but to disengage and ignore them. And that's exactly what the ignore feature is for.

I could make a valid comparison here, but I'd be facilitating Godwin's Law :D
Resolve Studio 18.6 | OS Win11 | Gigabyte x570 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 3090 OC 24GB GPU (studio drivers)

If I ask basic questions - in the immortal words of Sissy Spacek, “I may be ignorant but I ain’t stupid!

Wayne Steven

PostFri May 29, 2020 4:21 am

Well, it looks like I was replying to multiple people. My apologies. As each has fallen silent I guess they got what I was talking about.

Now, Wow, you jumped the gun.

Yes you can craft such a feature on certain software, and I never suggested they stay with the current system, though they can request a feature request.

The admins don't agree, can you point me to your proof of that? If you mean they they don't really, which is ussual, it could even mean they do agree. We just don't know. I ussually never get feedback on feature requests, they just turn up a normal development cycle latter.

You might as well agree, people being civilised trying to wade in the pool, contrasts well to the uninvited local yobo screamingly trying to dive bomb in the middle of them. If they feel inadequate, they can be humble and learn. The intellect discussion part on any thread is self evident, it's normalcy rather then averagism, a reality.

Think, certain people, are the people in the thread, not anybody off forum
on Google, like a public street..eh. if you are going to bust somebodies chops, then pick something worth doing it for.

Like the funny people stuff, they have repeatedly continuously shown the same behaviour.

You're quoting Reagan as proof? Good Governments are meant to be supportive to a better life, otherwise they wouldn't lock up people who are wrecking life (though many don't seem to be doing a good job of that in certain places, and I do think lives matter). But, yes, world wide moderation standards back by law, are the absolute first thing we want. The wild west movie version of the internet has to go. The intellectual and hippy versions, were better. Professionals, often the lowest form of intellect, but considering themselves the highest, was not great!! (You notice as much as I try to learn. I hardly ever use ! marks).

landyvlad wrote:Wow..

If what someone else posts is consistent with forum rules - that's all that matters.

If you get offended.. so what? You have a right to get offended but can't expect the world to revolve around you. The best way to deal with people on a forum you are offended by is not to argue with them, but to disengage and ignore them. And that's exactly what the ignore feature is for.

I could make a valid comparison here, but I'd be facilitating Godwin's Law :D

Again, you are offended, and it's revolving around YOUR opinions, rather than what is right. You get the contrast? You are largerly wrong, coming from the world west net mentality. They come they harrass, they argue, all the time, and bsjwsts the same people. The moderators on all types of forums just let them go, and on many forums are not that great, but here is different though. The moderators on those forums often act in ways that should be in court but a little bit of law instead of civil and rights bssed criminal actions, is preferable. So reverse block is the way to keep the crazies out if your hair in such a wild west world.

Now. you have not been making much valid comparisons here Michael, so why bother?

Well, at least that wasn't like what ussually happens, they repeatedly come back and argue to try to look right when proven wrong (often over stuff they continually interpreted wrong in the first place to argue about, the funny handicapped part).

codedeltajames

PostFri May 29, 2020 9:03 am

Wayne Steven wrote:As each has fallen silent I guess they got what I was talking about.

That is a very large assumption you are making there. I can only answer for myself, but I still don't think your idea makes the slightest bit of sense. However I acknowledge that you feel strongly about it and I don't think I can offer anything worthwhile in response - hence I fell silent. Do not take my silence as approval of your idea.

Wayne Steven

PostFri May 29, 2020 12:07 pm

codedeltajames wrote:..I don't think I can offer anything worthwhile in response - hence I fell silent

Jim Simon

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:27 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:But you are yet to show any reasoning at all as to why it's not a good idea

I did, actually. In my very first post.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:some things are beyond my knowledge experience logic or working out.

Clearly.

OK, that was mean. But...I am a bit of a smart ass, that was too good a jibe to pass up, and you did pretty much hand me that one on a silver platter. :lol:

That said, my comment does speak to this issue. It's what's known as an Ad Hominem argument. Latin for "to the man". It means my comment doesn't address the issue, rather it comments on you personally. It's a tool of the intellectually lazy and ignorant, along with a whole host of other False Arguments.

The proper way to deal with False Arguments like Ad Hominem (harassment) is to call them out as such, not to prevent people from reading your arguments on the issue.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Wayne Steven

PostSat May 30, 2020 12:12 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:But you are yet to show any reasoning at all as to why it's not a good idea

I did, actually. In my very first post.

Ok, that's a bit errant. False and destructive criticism is definitely a way to take down a society. The opposite of what you said. Not really value reasoning. If that is what you believe Jim, I suggest you rethink life? You are coming from it with somebody elses philosophical ideasm. Maybe I was not aware that is what you meant. The philosophy behind that is destructively delusional. There is no right to be wrong, like they push around here, only a privilege to temporarily get away with it. Hence forth no right to be critically wring, only to rightly (in a right way) be critically right. Now. We are explictly talking about people who have no real valid criticism compared to invalid criticism, In a vain effort to be destructive, going around acting illegally (depending on the jurisdiction) who won't butt out of others space, who neuroticslly just follow people around doing harm. Now, is their harm more free speech compared to the innocent intent of those they are trying to harm? You see that things are not so simple. But yet, for them to be allowed to harm, it elevates their right to harm above the right of the original authentic speakers they are trying to harm. It's bonkers. The whole free speech movement has gone mad. The people that advocated wring free speech, at the same time try to close down valid free speech, completely hypocritically against what they say they stand for, to get their way. Now, when you can talk to me like that instead of thess simplistic things, you can talk to me again, and don't quote anybody, the realisation and understanding has to come from yourself. You read somebody else's philosophy, or you are, philosophy.

Wayne Steven

PostSat May 30, 2020 12:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:some things are beyond my knowledge experience logic or working out.

Clearly.

OK, that was mean. But...I am a bit of a smart ass, that was too good a jibe to pass up, and you did pretty much hand me that one on a silver platter. :lol:

That said, my comment does speak to this issue. It's what's known as an Ad Hominem argument. Latin for "to the man". It means my comment doesn't address the issue, rather it comments on you personally. It's a tool of the intellectually lazy and ignorant, along with a whole host of other False Arguments.

The proper way to deal with False Arguments like Ad Hominem (harassment) is to call them out as such, not to prevent people from reading your arguments on the issue.

My goodness, it's called honesty, not being served up on a silver platter, maybe you are not used to the concept. If you want to make trouble, then best not to joke about straight forwards statements. You again make idealistic claims. As shown hundreds of times, people such as this are not interested in arguments disproving their false claims. Sometimes I get annoyed enough to call out their motivations, but they are broken and best discluded from your free speech that was never about them. However you don't really have a substantial point, just an impractical idealism, as shown. They wish to abuse the right of free speech they shouldn't be forcing the misuse of it on anybody, they should loose the license of bad free speech m. I'm am sorry if that goes beyond the idealisms you espouse Jim, but it is the honest, balanced, moral choice, the practical. If you next object to moral choice based on your idealism, then you are making your idealism a moral choice. You are however, objecting to something that does not really violate the other's free will but respects the authors free will not to take up time dealing with harrassers, like so many hours a day wasting their time rationally answering them.

Now, I've got some urgent medical matter I am 5 hours into writing up a request on that has destroyed the whole year so far. I saw you are trying to wsste my time putting up replies inns number of threads, like you replied when I was in a rush the other day. I'm not here to amuse you. As per my previous statement, do not talk to me until you can speak at a level without quotation. Quotation is alright in itself, but too many people are about what they heard and too little about what they can figure out. You can't really figure out an argument until you can really figure out. Ones who read philosophy, and ones that create good philosophy.

Byron Dickens

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 7:39 pm

Suck it up, buttercup. Part of being a grown-up is learning constructive ways of dealing with disagreements - and with disagreeable people. You always have the option of... oh... I don't know... NOT REPLYING.

And, by the way, if you're so intellectually superior,
why can't you use paragraphing?

You know what I see? A bunch of crying.

Your signature speaks volumes.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:18 am

Byron Dickens wrote:Suck it up, buttercup. Part of being a grown-up is learning constructive ways of dealing with disagreements - and with disagreeable people. You always have the option of... oh... I don't know... NOT REPLYING.

Lol! Where do they come from. If you were as smart as you think you are, you would know the answer to how wrong your post was already. I'll play the man, blind leading the blind. Suck it up and go away. :)

Wayne Steven

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:19 am

Pathetic! An ABC post (see my Sig. I should have put a D in for some people can't see the bigger picture for the trees ("Some people can't see past themselves") but I don't even have room to use the list function). You don't have to come here projecting your crying on to me, I am right.

Part of being grown-up is laws, and not trying to bully people wrongly, which is the childish behaviour laws deal with. It's also not posting rubbish like that, or being a destructive smart arse for the sake of being a destructive smart arse. Part of maturity is agreeing with what is right despite your own immature selfishness, and everything you have said comes out of such selfishness. So. Yes you are not being so smart, and it is always the ones that are not pursuing superiority but childishly, bullishly, regard themselves delusionally as having to be the start of superior. Yes, the right man brings out the wrong ones, because they can't stand to look at themselves and realise they are not superior, so have to project their own level. It's all psychological motivations, not playing the man.

I give you just one hint from the litany of mistakes in the post. Paragraphs don't really matter aslong as it is understandable. It is a formality style. Once you see enough, you don't see just how the world looks, but also how it's made, you can the reassemble the world in ways that work. They are the different levels of superiority above quoting others or how things work in our one way irrelevantly. If you are exposed to true intellect you hear of these people, and basically those who discover and write new valid stuff, for the simple to then quote as the only way it is when it's not. Thats why they ussually don't go to places such are in.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Byron Dickens

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:45 am

Wayne Steven wrote:
Byron Dickens wrote:Suck it up, buttercup. Part of being a grown-up is learning constructive ways of dealing with disagreements - and with disagreeable people. You always have the option of... oh... I don't know... NOT REPLYING.

Lol! Where do they come from. If you were as smart as you think you are, you would know the answer to how wrong your post was already. I'll play the man, blind leading the blind. Suck it up and go away. :)

Thank you for proving my point.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 am

That is delusional.

As I was saying to an editor of the paper, who called me, mistaken content produces more discussion. To reply to error often requires longer explanation than the original wording to deal with the errors. If it is shorter then the wrong parts addressed, apart from simple answers in contrast rather then explanation, then you might be doing something very wrong... Now, if this is above how you normally think about things, you have your answer.. if you don't get that statement...

landyvlad

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 3:38 am

Wayne Steven wrote:specious arguments, illogical ranting, combative responses, poor grammar, terrible spelling

It should be pretty clear to you that nobody else in this thread shares your view. In fact most have actively stated they completely disagree with your idea for 'reverse blocking' as you suggested it.

Further ranting, raving and whining is unlikely to change anyone's opinion of you other than for the negative.

If such a feature is so important to you why not go to the phpBB support forum and suggest someone build it - see what sort of reception you get there.
Resolve Studio 18.6 | OS Win11 | Gigabyte x570 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 3090 OC 24GB GPU (studio drivers)

If I ask basic questions - in the immortal words of Sissy Spacek, “I may be ignorant but I ain’t stupid!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:13 pm

This thread has run it's course and is being locked. Any further discussions that spiral in a manner such as this one will also be locked.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Off-Topic