Solution found! Auto iris not working with B4 lenses on UMP

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BennoZ

Solution found! Auto iris not working with B4 lenses on UMP

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 5:33 pm

The auto iris button on the lens of my B4 lens (Canon HJ11) doesn't work. When I press this button it always jumps to f16. Has anyone else this problem?
Last edited by BennoZ on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

BennoZ

Re: Auto iris not working with B4 lenses on UMP G2

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 8:06 am

Anyone having this problem? My unit is replaced by a new one because of another problem but still the auto iris doesn't work with B4 lenses.
The auto iris on the body of the UMP is disabled, also the touchscreen iris is disabled.
When I press and hold the auto iris on my B4 lens then the iris jumps always to f16 and the display 'says' f1.9. When I release the auto iris button the display 'says' f16 and the iris also keeps at f16.
With EF lenses this works just fine. Is it a bug in the camera or firmware???

BennoZ

Re: Solution found! Auto iris not working with B4 lenses on

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 10:33 am

Finally found the solution!

It looks like a little bug. You MUST set the auto-iris slider to "Auto" on a B4 lens, then the iris menu on the lcd-screen is enabled, otherwise it's disabled. Then you have to click on the iris menu on the lcd-screen and then you also MUST set the button on the right down corner to "Auto". After that you MUST set the auto-iris slider to "Manual" on the B4 lens. Now the auto-push-iris button on a B4 lens works just fine. BUT when you power down the camera you have to do everything described above again....

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 5:42 am

Not a bug, this is how the auto iris settings for the B4 lenses works, ay least this is how the Urs Broadcast works.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

BennoZ

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 8:03 am

Denny Smith wrote:Not a bug, this is how the auto iris settings for the B4 lenses works, ay least this is how the Ursa Broadcast works.
Cheers

It's not the Broadcast but the Ursa Mini Pro and this workflow is far from 'normal' or user friendly and also not mentioned in the user manual. Even my reseller didn't know this.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Yes, I understand you have the UM Pro, but the camera firmware for controlling the B4 lens iris functions is the same as the Ursa Broadcast, since the share the same camera OS, with some differences, of course. Not saying this is an industry standard, or normal for other cameras, but is just how BMD has setup its cameras to work with the B4 mount and ENG zoom lens protocols on the UM Pro and Broadcast camera.

This camera has several lens mounts, all with different iris control setups, so a single menu system needs to adapt to all the different situations. Yes, setting the auto iris for B4 lenses is a little awkward, but it works.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography