Rig Advice - Matte Boxes

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

nickdale

Rig Advice - Matte Boxes

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi Guys,

I think I've finally decided on an Edelkrone Modula 5 Rig with the Focus + and a Small HD monitor, but I am looking for a good budget Matte Box... does anyone have any advice/ideas? Would really appreciate it.. a note is that I am buying my gear i.e. the Rig to be compatible with my BMCC (when it comes) but also with my 5D MKIII's etc so a versatile matte box would be great :D

Thanks a lot guys,

Nick!

Sandy Campbell

Re: Rig Advice - Matte Boxes

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Nickdale... I bought a cheap Ebay plastic Matte Box on 15mm rails. Installed (glued) a filter frame to matte box at lens end, set up my Mk 2 and lens, adjusted all fittings for wide including shades.
Then glued black cotton material over the whole box both inside & out leaving a flap of material to cover the filter frame. It looks great, is very strong, zero ambient light, crazy lightweight, slides easily on rails, and have about 30 Cokin filters. Total cost about $150 Aust.
Also built a focus puller with gauge that faces the operator behind camera, cost $30.

Martin Scanlan

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 10:42 am

Just another note about matte boxes, for those planning to use Tiffen or Schneider NDs you need to be a bit careful about which matte boxes can take them as the filters are about 4mm thick. So far the only ones I've found which confirm they can accommodate this are the Shoot35 and the Lanparte. For thinner resin filters, you should be fine with others.

Jeggintonfilms

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 11:02 am

I'm happy with my Lanparte Matte box. Can be seen here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1206
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

nickdale

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks guys - thats a great help - I was gonna go with the Shoot35 but I think the Lanparte looks just as good - are there any differences people can see?

Martin Scanlan

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm weighing up the same two. The one advantage that I do see with the Shoot35 is that is has an extra adjustment so that you can move it forwards and backwards without moving the 15mm clamp. This may prove useful when you're rigging a matte box and follow focus with small primes like the Zuikos (which I've got) as it will give you a little more flexibility. I have seen other methods used like mounting the matte box upside down when space is tight. I'm going to wait until I've got my rig set up and measure the hell out of it.

If price wasn't an issue I'd go Shoot35, but the Lanparte is very appealing for the money.

Return to Cinematography