ATEM Mini PRO... HDMI out to DVI monitor?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tuesdaythe12th

ATEM Mini PRO... HDMI out to DVI monitor?

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 6:23 am

Just wondering if I can use my older monitor that only has a DVI input as a monitor for the ATEM MINI. Thanks for any tips!
BMPCC 6K / ATEM MINI PRO / Win 10 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 3801Mhz, Eight-Core Processor, 16 Logical Processors / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 / NesCafe Instant French Roast

Joshua_G

Re: ATEM Mini PRO... HDMI out to DVI monitor?

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 1:42 pm

Yes, you can. There are many low-cost HDMI to DVI adaptors:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0
DaVinci Resolve Studio (latest stable) / Windows 10 Pro x64 / AMD 1920X / 32GB RAM / RX Vega56 8G.
BMPCC 6K + BMPCC 6K Pro.
Retired electronics technician and sound engineer, long-time amateur photographer, beginner hobbyist filmmaker for personal uses.

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 1:14 am

Yes, you would need a 1080p monitor to get this to work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Don't forget the audio :) the DVI connection has no audio, you don't need the audio ?
But why use such an old monitor ? it's a LCD monitor ? even old equipment from the thrift stores will have HDMI.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

tuesdaythe12th

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 4:09 am

Thanks for the feedback on this question. I had an older monitor around that I thought might have found a last purpose. Thank you again.
BMPCC 6K / ATEM MINI PRO / Win 10 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 3801Mhz, Eight-Core Processor, 16 Logical Processors / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 / NesCafe Instant French Roast

Eric-Jan

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 9:11 pm

For audio you need also an HDMI audio extractor, these will be HDMI2HDMI devices, or you can use another passthrough device that outputs the audio seprately. (where you can be creative)
Most of the time a small cheap lcd monitor/recorder will do, it will have passthrough HDMI and a headphone connection, which can be put on a active speaker.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 11:49 pm

I would like to offer some information about a DVI monitor. Most, if not all DVI monitors are RGB and the HDMI out of the ATEM Mini/Pro is YUV. So unless you have a method of switching the monitor to YUV, the colors will not look correct.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 2:20 am

Good point Gary, forgot that one small detail. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Orange

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm

I have just received my Atem Mini, and had great expectations of hooking it up to my Dell monitor via DVI but the display is very purple. I am very disappointed - this was not noted in any of the reviews I've previously watched.

But - my Dell monitor does have a DP input. Would I have greater luck using an HDMI to DP cable?

Thank you for your wisdom.

Orange

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 6:52 pm

Well, would you know it... the Dell monitors have a menu option to switch from RGB to YPbPr (whatever that is) but that gives the correct colours.

So, Yay..!!.. and thanks for the YUV prompt above. I should have checked this setting before crying about it here.

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 8:15 pm

YPbPr is the color/signal setup for Component video used in broadcasting, that is similar to the digital YUV color system. Here is a more complete explanation:
Y’CBCR scaling as defined by Rec. 601 is appropriate for component digital video. Y’CBCR chroma is almost always subsampled using one of three schemes: 4:2:2, or 4:2:0, or 4:1:1.

Y’UV scaling is properly used only as an intermediate step in the formation of composite NTSC or PAL video signals. Y’UV scaling is not appropriate when the components are kept separate. However, the Y’UV nomenclature is now used rather loosely, and sometimes – particularly in computing – it denotes any scaling of B’--Y’ and R’--Y’.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

KubaO2

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 11:52 am

Will an hdmi splitter solve the color problem?

Return to Live Production