Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

bhook

Re: Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 12:00 pm

It does look nice but motion is very choppy on my tired old laptop. Is anyone else seeing that?

Richard Oakes

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 pm

mhood wrote:It does look nice but motion is very choppy on my tired old laptop. Is anyone else seeing that?

I did notice it in the basketball scene, that is why I asked them what shutter angle they set, but apparently it was set to 180 so not sure on the cause.
Richard Oakes.

Jeff Troiano

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Watched it on my ipad and didn't notice any choppiness.

bhook

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 12:50 pm

It was explained on another forum that the video was submitted to vimeo in 1080p (vimeo recommends 720p) and there are known issues with some graphics cards when playing 1080p via vimeo. It seems the motion is fine and it is only an issue on my laptop. Ignoring the motion, the video looks gr8! It's the same creamy goodness as the BMCC to these old eyes.

...now about the audio... ;)

Pascal Deshayes

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 3:40 pm

New footage:
Quite good overall but I still find the shadows noisy and the whole image lacking sharpness.
Was this shot raw?

Playback is very choppy here, too - even with the full timeline pre-loaded > ?
Pask

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Plays smooth as silk on my >3 year old MacBook Pro 17" 1080p screen. I let the video download/buffer completely before playing it. I watched it twice, and it played exactly the same each time.

-

Samjack

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Look like softer version of GH3. Would like to see what Raw really looks like.

Peter Poulos

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 7:50 pm

This does look really amazing. Finally some cinematic footage. The lenses used of course are pretty expensive mostly above $700, hopefully some lower priced lenses produce similar sharpness and quality!

christian.himmelstrand

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 9:20 pm

John Waldorff wrote:Is there actually any canon lens adapter for the BPCC that can change the iris setting of non manual lenses?

I have been told by my camera dealer that this is the active adapter that works with the pocket camera.

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/LiveLens-for-MFT-Mount-Cameras/livelensmft

I mailed the Redrockmicro support and asked them:

Hi!

Can this device work with the BMPCC?

--------------

Thanks for your email and interest. Yes...the LiveLens will work on the BMPCC. It works on any micro 4/3rds mount.

Any other questions?

Kind Regards,

Customer Consultant- Redrock Direct Sales
Redrock Micro

Eduardo Gonzalez

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 10:22 pm

It was shot in ProRes. I'm playing it back on my Panasonic Viera 50" and it plays back just fine. All that choppiness everyone keeps talking about, not seeing it. The shadows look really good to me. As for the softer GH3, nah I don't see it. In fact I truly believe it all depends on what device you are watching it.

But again, I feel like no matter what, because of us salivating over our eagerness to have it, we are expecting to see F65 quality or we won't be satisfied. I just get the image of angry people sitting in front of their devices and pointing at the screen ready to scream at each millisecond they see aliasing or moire. It's a great little camera people. Give it a chance, but as none of us knows what's going on, I still think it's too soon to judge.

I'm rooting for Blackmagic, they don't have the capital that Canon or Sony have, they're barely getting their wings off the ground. They'll fly soon people. They'll fly soon.

Erik Swan

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 2:09 am

Still not RAW... Where's the RAW footage for a camera shipping in 5 days? (Although I agree it looks very nice, I'm buying this camera for its RAW capabilities, as nice as the ProRes may be...) :?

Ryan Jones

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 2:26 am

Erik Swan wrote:Still not RAW... Where's the RAW footage for a camera shipping in 5 days? (Although I agree it looks very nice, I'm buying this camera for its RAW capabilities, as nice as the ProRes may be...) :?

It may not launch with raw, coming in an update.

It rather it ships on time without raw than wait.

bhook

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 2:28 am

How many times have we heard the advice to never buy a camera for what it might become in the future. Only buy a camera for what it is at the time of purchase.

Erik Swan

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 2:47 am

Huh?

BMD has advertised from the very moment this camera has been announced (which also happens to be the day I purchased it) that it can record in CinemaDNG RAW. Go check the website right now. It doesn't say "RAW recording with a firmware update" or "RAW recording at some point in the future." It flat-out says that it can record lossless compressed CinemaDNG files to SD cards (as does the product description on pretty much every retailer listing it right now)

I would be shocked if it launched without RAW capability. It would be nothing short of false advertising.
Last edited by Erik Swan on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 2:55 am

mhood wrote:How many times have we heard the advice to never buy a camera for what it might become in the future. Only buy a camera for what it is at the time of purchase.

At least 3 that I can count mhood,
But putting the RAW option aside for a moment I think you are all grasping at straws so to speak about any choppy video, There could be several reasons of witch 80% of them are PC related, I posted response about the shot @01:10 that another Vimeo member had found very choopy, But I deleted it so that CaptainHook could explain it, and eventually he did reply with an explanation, But I believe my original reply post/explanation was the better answer, Rest assured it was operator error in combination with rolling shutter, The pocket camera is more susceptible to fast movement (of the Camera) in any situation, Even JB stated this in his first Pocket cam video.

Richard Oakes

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:
mhood wrote:How many times have we heard the advice to never buy a camera for what it might become in the future. Only buy a camera for what it is at the time of purchase.

At least 3 that I can count mhood,
But putting the RAW option aside for a moment I think you are all grasping at straws so to speak about any choppy video, There could be several reasons of witch 80% of them are PC related, I posted response about the shot @01:10 that another Vimeo member had found very choopy, But I deleted it so that CaptainHook could explain it, and eventually he did reply with an explanation, But I believe my original reply post/explanation was the better answer, Rest assured it was operator error in combination with rolling shutter, The pocket camera is more susceptible to fast movement (of the Camera) in any situation, Even JB stated this in his first Pocket cam video.

I think that person was me, and their explanation about bad focus was a bit odd I must say.
Richard Oakes.

Jeff Troiano

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 1:45 am

I had the opportunity to ask John Brawley, over in the dvinfo Blackmagic forum, if he was allowed to comment on RAW. He replied to me with this.....

"RAW is not likely to be ready for shipping but will be added later."

Since he's always maintained he hasn't been allowed to comment or post footage, without the approval of Blackmagic, I have to think this is how it will be.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic- ... otage.html

Panamatom

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 7:38 am

If RAW is not an option now
it´s Canon where I have to go ...

Pascal Deshayes

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 am

Erik Swan wrote:Huh?
It would be nothing short of false advertising.

That's what is annoying with BMD, their marketing is inflated beyond their products' reality. I'd better have a "we PLAN on shipping at that date", "we are researching how to add raw recording to the Pocket CC" etc. than unfulfilled promises.

I still think that this little camera - provided it actually works, is reliable, lasts more than the warranty time - is potentially well featured, especially for its price. It probably will be a nice upgrade from a DSLR even though the form factor is not ideal to shoot handheld (which it was designed for).
Pask

Erik Swan

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 am

pask74 wrote:
Erik Swan wrote:Huh?
It would be nothing short of false advertising.

That's what is annoying with BMD, their marketing is inflated beyond their products' reality. I'd better have a "we PLAN on shipping at that date", "we are researching how to add raw recording to the Pocket CC" etc. than unfulfilled promises.

I still think that this little camera - provided it actually works, is reliable, lasts more than the warranty time - is potentially well featured, especially for its price. It probably will be a nice upgrade from a DSLR even though the form factor is not ideal to shoot handheld (which it was designed for).

Completely agree with everything you said here; the camera is still an amazing product (assuming everything we've heard about it is true) at an amazing price. I bought it as an upgrade from a 600D, and it should be great.

I should also note, though, that I consider missing a planned shipping date to be much less serious (although still bad, especially given BMD's history) than shipping the camera without perhaps the most important advertised feature (RAW).

If it is quite clear that they are going to miss the July ship date by a large amount, then at least I haven't completely parted with my money and can still cancel my pre-order. However, if the $1000 camera shows up on my doorstep without RAW recording capability, I consider that to be a quite serious case of false advertising (and it would actually be illegal in many countries, I believe).

Ryan Jones

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:20 am

So you'd rather wait until the camera is ready with raw than have something with the same DR, ProRes, etc roughly on time with a raw update within a month or two?

Plenty of people would rather get it with ProRes right now and wait for raw...

Jace Ross

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:22 am

Panamatom wrote:If RAW is not an option now

For the 5DMIII? Nearly triple the price and can it do a steady 1080p RAW yet? Better off with a BMCC EF.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Erik Swan

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 am

Ryan Jones wrote:So you'd rather wait until the camera is ready with raw than have something with the same DR, ProRes, etc roughly on time with a raw update within a month or two?

Plenty of people would rather get it with ProRes right now and wait for raw...

This may seem odd, but yes. What prevents Blackmagic from breaking their promise that RAW is coming with a firmware upgrade? While I don't think it is likely that they would completely fail to deliver on RAW, they don't exactly have a great track record right now. Is RAW coming in 2 weeks? 3 months? A year? If they say it's coming in a month, when is it really going to arrive? I don't want to play that game.

They haven't proven themselves accountable and because of that, I would rather keep my $1000 until the camera actually does what they say it does.

Erik Swan

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 am

Panamatom wrote:can it do a steady 1080p RAW yet?

Yes, and it looks amazing, but it is more than triple the price as you mentioned.

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:55 am

Two points here:

First, _i_ don't need the RAW recording (right now), so i hope they don't delay shipments in order to add RAW recording to the firmware first...

Second, about the stuttering: there are a number of very different reasons why embeded video may stutter. With vimeo there are certain hardware / software configurations (e.g. some gfx cards/drivers + some browsers/addons) that are prone to stutter on higher bandwith video; interestingly it's not the older/weaker machines that suffer, i experience that problem with my high-powered editing system, but much less often on my generic laptop. So you can't be sure if the stuttering is caused by a) camera, b) vimeos transcoding or c) your own system. That doesn't mean that the Pocket CC might not have a tendency to stutter pans, i just think it's not easy to decide by watching clips on vimeo. Same goes for sharpness and banding, though vimeos compression is significantly nearer to the source than youtube etc.

adamroberts

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 12:11 pm

CaptainHook shot that video at 25p (as he's in a PAL region). If you are watching it on Vimeo on a 60Hz display (most computer displayed are 60Hz) you will experience some stutter. This is because 60 is not cleanly divisible by 25 so the GUP drops a frame everyone and then to compensate.

Peter Poulos

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 1:03 pm

So according to a post in another forum John brawley says the pocket camera will most likely not ship with raw and will be added at a later time. This is pretty unfair.

Michael Coviello

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Peter917 wrote:So according to a post in another forum John brawley says the pocket camera will most likely not ship with raw and will be added at a later time. This is pretty unfair.

Oh, I know! Life is so unfair sometimes. I mean, here we have this amazing little piece of equipment that, according to the test footage we've seen so far, records amazing motion pictures. It's just too bad it's on that crappy ProRes 422 HQ codec. Personally, I won't be able to tell a story without raw. Oh, woe is me!

(because this is the internet I will point out this post is meant to be read sarcastically).

Peter Poulos

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Haha not saying that it's a deal breaker the footage is already amazing. The fact is that BM made the RAW one of the selling points of the camera and even said they are confident it will ship with it. That is false advertising. And I have a couple projects where RAW would be helpful. My point is it's unfair of them to advertise a feature of a camera that won't even be available when it ships.

Michael Coviello

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Peter917 wrote:Haha not saying that it's a deal breaker the footage is already amazing. The fact is that BM made the RAW one of the selling points of the camera and even said they are confident it will ship with it. That is false advertising. And I have a couple projects where RAW would be helpful. My point is it's unfair of them to advertise a feature of a camera that won't even be available when it ships.

haha yeah I hear ya. I'm not sure BMD did it on purpose though. I'm sure when they announced it they had every intention of having it ship with raw recording. However, as we all know, things happen that could slow down developmental progress. They were probably extremely excited to be able to let consumers know they would have a camera that fits in your pocket and records raw! Should they have waited to announce it AFTER it had already been implemented? Maybe. However, I'm sure they were extremely confident they could do it, so they announced it. Now the burden of proof is on them. Personally I would rather the camera ship with ProRes and have raw implemented down the line, but thats just me. I just want this little monster of a camera in my hands!

Peter Poulos

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Well announcing it a while back would have been fine it's the fact they said about a month ago when they said they were confident about the July release they also said confident about raw. How can you say that a month before release and not have it already implemented on the camera? As long as the wait for the raw firmware is no more than a month ill be fine.

Vitorio Pagliuso

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Perhaps the difficulty to be recorded in RAW is the speed found in available cards SD (include the extreme pro) currently in the market. If it will be this, inevitably it angers to occur dissatisfaction in case that they place the camera in the market in July without RAW but with prores. Or dissatisfaction and delay in case that they wait until creations a faster card capable.

Larry Sellers

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Prores log with 13 stops for $995? I'll take it as-is, with no expectation of raw. Although raw will be nice when and if it arrives.

aesnakes

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 3:04 pm

does this camera come with an external charger or do we have to buy one separately to keep the camera going with several batteries?
Rob Bannister
Lead Compositor / Head of 2D
www.imdb.com/name/nm3254365/
www.vimeo.com/robbannister
http://www.robbannister.500px.com/

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 3:13 pm

aesnakes wrote:does this camera come with an external charger or do we have to buy one separately to keep the camera going with several batteries?

According to the info on BMD's website, the camera will be shipped with an AC adapter which can power the camera and recharge a 3rd party battery that you install inside the camera.

See "Power Requirements", and "What's Included":
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... /techspecs

Or, if you want to recharge batteries external to the camera, you'll need to purchase a 3rd party battery charger.

-

aesnakes

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Thats what I thought, just checking before I buy these batteries and charger.
Rob Bannister
Lead Compositor / Head of 2D
www.imdb.com/name/nm3254365/
www.vimeo.com/robbannister
http://www.robbannister.500px.com/

Prevailing City

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Cheers.

We received an email over the weekend from B&H saying:

"One or more items from this purchase are still out of stock as we haven't
yet received the merchandise from our supplier. We are sorry for any
inconvenience this may have caused. We will keep you posted periodically. "

We then contacted B&H support and here's what they had to say:

"Unfortunately at the time we do not have a expected date, we are still waiting for word from Black Magic. We will keep you informed via Email with the progress of your order."

Hopefully this is just a communication issue that gets sorted out before the 25th but if it's not, it's worrisome that the delivery date is slipping. I'm curious if anyone who ordered right after NAB has received a similar email from B&H, since we only placed our order around the first of July?

Richard Oakes

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Prevailing City wrote:Cheers.

"Unfortunately at the time we do not have a expected date, we are still waiting for word from Black Magic. We will keep you informed via Email with the progress of your order."

Hopefully this is just a communication issue that gets sorted out before the 25th but if it's not, it's worrisome that the delivery date is slipping. I'm curious if anyone who ordered right after NAB has received a similar email from B&H, since we only placed our order around the first of July?

Well by this point it is pretty damn obvious that Blackmagic have fumbled it again!
Richard Oakes.

Jeff Troiano

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Prevailing City wrote:Cheers.

I preordered my camera on May 22, and I've recieved that email 3 times now. About every three weeks I've gotten one. I don't believe it has anything to do with any change in expectations from the manufacture. It's simply their automated system sending them out.

Prevailing City

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Good to know. That's what we assumed was happening. We were still a bit surprised when support at B&H told us this morning that they did not have an expected date from BM.

raadgie

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Panamatom wrote:If RAW is not an option now

Yes, 70D looks promising!
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

christian.himmelstrand

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 6:59 pm

To me it's not so important that camera ships with RAW, I rather have the camera soon and play with it and get familiar with Pro Res, only that raw will come as an firmware later.

BMD is a small company and as said before, they are not Canon, nor Sony.
They are probably working day and night to get the camera on the market.

It is amazing what a small company like BMD has created and without massive finances like the big brands, and to the right price for the consumers.

For me, who was planning to buy a Canon 5D for filming, to get a colorgrading camera for $995 is a dream.
I can wait, 5D/700D/7D/6D is not a option.
Perhaps the run-and-gun Canon C100 is, but that is another price, five times higher.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Darkfable wrote:Well by this point it is pretty damn obvious that Blackmagic have fumbled it again!

Not necessarily. See:
viewtopic.php?p=63406&sid=7e98900098f53bc74d0756cbf4a0a06f#p63406

-

Ryan Jones

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 9:53 pm

I swear if BMD announced today the camera ships tomorrow with ProRes, raw, 16 batteries that last 4 days each and 2TB of storage half of the people here would still be complaining...

christiangruner

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Ryan Jones wrote:I swear if BMD announced today the camera ships tomorrow with ProRes, raw, 16 batteries that last 4 days each and 2TB of storage half of the people here would still be complaining...

Spot on... sadly!

simonspear

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Ryan Jones wrote:I swear if BMD announced today the camera ships tomorrow with ProRes, raw, 16 batteries that last 4 days each and 2TB of storage half of the people here would still be complaining...

Well of course! How on earth can BMD justify shipping with only 2TB storage for a camera shooting RAW and capable of powering up for a little over 1 month with the included 16 battery external power array?? This is a huge design flaw and certainly needs to be addressed before shipping. IMO we need at least a couple of petaflops of cloud storage with a built in 4G/wifi back up system. If BMD can't deliver this before August then the proverbial is really going to hit the fan!!

Seriously though in the real world. Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock..... :D

Erik Swan

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 am

Don't be naive. If the camera ships on-time, with all advertised features (RAW recording included), we will all feel perfectly satisfied and happy that Blackmagic has delivered on-time and on-spec, and will open up our BMPCC boxes like kids on Christmas.

However, there's only so much goodwill and understanding a company can have, and shipping products late, for a second year running, with virtually no communication between the company and paying customers, is one way to rapidly run out of that goodwill.

Not to mention that shipping a product below spec is another thing entirely. This isn't a beta product or Kickstarter. When I order a $1000 professional product from an established, professional company, I expect it at the very least to be delivered on-spec, as advertised. I also expect it to be delivered on time, but I understand that delays happen and things come up. In those cases I expect the manufacturer to communicate clearly what the problem is and be honest and open about updated timelines.

Blackmagic is 8 days close to completely failing on this basic expectation.

Corey

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 1:20 am

Personally I'll be happy with ProRes on time, and RAW down the track. A $1000 ProRes camera is worth more in the hand than a raw shooting camera in the bush.

Plus it will give people a chance to figure out kits, workflows etc. I'm all for it.

As for communication? From having worked with Apple I can tell you they're worse. We'd regularly open a box to see it's a completely new machine/model that hadn't even been announced. Or we'd have people calling about a product before Apple had even told anyone. It was frustrating, but I'd rather a company works hard on the product rather than the spin.

Kingsley Paul

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 am

I believe that majority of the people eagerly awaiting the BMPCC would be happy with Prores provided we get an assurance from BMD that RAW would be updated via firmware at a later stage. BMD should inform about any production delays or hiccups which would clear all speculations, I sincerely hope the camera is shipped out as per schedule.

MikeLawson

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 1:54 am

From what I remember, Blackmagic said the Pocket Camera and the 4K Production cam would ship with Pro Res initially and compressed raw would be available on a future firmware. So if they ship in the next week or so they are keeping their promise so I don't see what the big deal is.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography