The Project could not be loaded in collaboration mode

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AndreasOberg

The Project could not be loaded in collaboration mode

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 11:16 am

I managed to setup postgreSQL on our QNAP NAS and create a database.
Both workstations connect with individual 10GbE cables to the NAS. NAS is not connected to internet.
Both workstations also has 1GB network connected to a router that connects to the internet.

Everything works fine, except when I click on a timeline that the other project has open I get this:

"The project could not be loaded in collaboration mode as Resolve as Resolve was unable to establish a connection to communicate with other users.
Please ensure that the machines are not connected using a VPN and that Davinci Resolve is not being blocked by the system firewall."
Then the project is instantly closed.

1. No VPN
2. We use Norton and Resolve is set to allow on both computers.
3. I also checked the channel 56789 and no other programs are using this channel on any of the computers. Resolve seems to not use this channel either however.
4. We both use identical versions of Resolve
5. Both is Windows base, no mac. The NAS I guess is QNAP Linux.
6. PostgreSQL version on NAS is 9.3.13. For macOS I know 9.5 is needed but this should be fine since its not Mac, right? (As I understand 8.4 is used then)

I do not have postgreSQL installed on the workstations so Resolve Project Server cannot launch. Is that a problem? It just did not seem like a point to install postgreSQL on our workstations when we have it on the NAS.

I followed this tutorial on how to set it up.
https://www.qnap.com/en-au/how-to/tutorial/article/how-to-host-a-multi-user-collaborative-environment-for-davinci-resolve-15-studio/
Any pointers?

Thanks
Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

AndreasOberg

Re: The Project could not be loaded in collaboration mode

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 pm

Been trying several things and can still not collaborate.
Contacting the database from both workstations works solid. It seems to be the connection between the two Davinci. I'm thinking that its trying to contact each other through the router 1GB network that we also use to connect to internet and somehow fails. I'm guessing it does not go through the 10GbE that the NAS uses. Will try to see how well these 2 computers can actually talk to each other and maybe that will clear it up.

Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Danielrutledge

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Keep me posted. I am looking into a similar setup, but on Mac and with up to 6 users (not all at once. Probably there will be 3 edit stations, and then producers and a designer accessing the QNAP). Once you get the bugs worked out, I'd be interested in hearing any advice.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Are both machines on the same subnet (i.e. the first 3 octets of the IP address match)? They need to be.

Resolve can use a range of ports for the cross Resolve communication link. If one is in use by another app, it will increment until it finds a free one.

Prior to 15.2, we did use port 56789. But that port is no longer used. We now use a port in the range of 50059 to 50314. If port 50059 is in use by something else, we'll increment to find the next available port.

So it's very likely your firewall is blocking the port. As a test, disable the firewalls on both machines, and that will quickly prove if that's where the issue is.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

henriko

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Are both machines on the same subnet (i.e. the first 3 octets of the IP address match)? They need to be.

Resolve can use a range of ports for the cross Resolve communication link. If one is in use by another app, it will increment until it finds a free one.

Prior to 15.2, we did use port 56789. But that port is no longer used. We now use a port in the range of 50059 to 50314. If port 50059 is in use by something else, we'll increment to find the next available port.

So it's very likely your firewall is blocking the port. As a test, disable the firewalls on both machines, and that will quickly prove if that's where the issue is.

The same-subnet-requirement... How can we work around that doing cross location collaboration from different offices over low latency WAN/fiber-internet? We're not on the same subnet. Do we need a VPN setup, or?

Port range to open in firewall besides 5432 for postgresql should be...? 50059 to 50059+x where x is number of simultaneous clients or?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 6:54 pm

Resolve Collaboration Networking Considerations

Each Resolve system needs to connect to the shared PostgreSQL database server.

Resolve notes in the database, what the IP address of each connected Resolve system is.

Each Resolve client reads that data, to know how to communicate with the other Resolve clients.

When a Resolve client loads a Project that is configured for collaboration, it connects to other Resolve clients accessing that project.

Which means that there are two communication paths involved. One for each Resolve client to connect to the database server. And another where each client establishes a point to point link with all the other clients.

Ideally, all of this happens on a common subnet. If all the systems are not on a common subnet, your network router/switch must be configured to allow communication across the subnets. Further, the router/switch must NOT do any sort of NAT between the database server and the Resolve clients, else the database server will see the IP address of the router/switch which is doing the NAT, and not the actual Resolve client IP's, which are required to set up the client point to point links.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

henriko

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:...
Ideally, all of this happens on a common subnet. If all the systems are not on a common subnet, your network router/switch must be configured to allow communication across the subnets. Further, the router/switch must NOT do any sort of NAT between the database server and the Resolve clients, else the database server will see the IP address of the router/switch which is doing the NAT, and not the actual Resolve client IP's, which are required to set up the client point to point links.

Thanks for the very quick feedback, Dwaine.

I have access to an EdgeMax EdgeRouter, but not sure how to establish the recommendations given above. Can you, or anyone else, guide me in the right direction?

And can someone confirm they actually got this working over the internet?

It would be excellent if I could get this working.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 am

Our experience and expectation is collaboration over the internet is challenging due to network latency. Proceed at your own risk.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

henriko

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 5:39 pm

I have a single Resolve Studio workstation in either end of two separate physical offices. Low latency fiber based WAN (close office proximity), makes Resolve collaboration over the internet very attractive for us, so I would _really_ love to get this working, as you can likely see :). Hope I can make it happen.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Resolve Collaboration Networking Considerations
Each Resolve system needs to connect to the shared PostgreSQL database server.

This works. One workstation is also running postgresql, the other connects over the internet through fixed public IP and port forwarding / firewall setup. No probs so far.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Resolve notes in the database, what the IP address of each connected Resolve system is.

Each Resolve client reads that data, to know how to communicate with the other Resolve clients.

Where in the postgresql schema is this IP stored? Would be nice to see what it registered for debug/setup. Can't seem to find it when looking at the tables in the used db. Please state where. Also whether this show up in any log at runtime.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:When a Resolve client loads a Project that is configured for collaboration, it connects to other Resolve clients accessing that project.

Which means that there are two communication paths involved. One for each Resolve client to connect to the database server. And another where each client establishes a point to point link with all the other clients.

Yes. The postgresql connection seem fine. It's the collaboration point to point link I need to get sorted out.

I notice this in the Resolve logs.

[0x700012168000] | SyManager.Network | INFO | 2020-06-19 14:59:20,294 | Collaboration TCP listener started on port 50059 for project 494ecf02-0ade-4040-83f3-873db1ea33b9
[0x700012168000] | SyManager.Network | INFO | 2020-06-19 14:59:20,339 | Communication for project 494ecf02-0ade-4040-83f3-873db1ea33b9 has started

This is for the collaboration point to point communication it would seem.

I got the first port in range you mentioned because it was available and normally will be, also in the other office. We only have a single Resolve workstation at either office.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Ideally, all of this happens on a common subnet. If all the systems are not on a common subnet, your network router/switch must be configured to allow communication across the subnets. Further, the router/switch must NOT do any sort of NAT between the database server and the Resolve clients, else the database server will see the IP address of the router/switch which is doing the NAT, and not the actual Resolve client IP's, which are required to set up the client point to point links.

So the question now is. If Davinci is registering the public IPs of either, or at least one of the offices routers, can I make a port forward of 50059 to the Resolve workstation (or the entire range)? I think it should work, as only one workstation in either end is using Resolve, and so there can be no confusion what machine to forward to. Could that work?

If not, what could next step be. A DMZ, static routes. I'd go quite a way to accomplish this.

henriko

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 6:53 pm

henriko wrote:So the question now is. If Davinci is registering the public IPs of either, or at least one of the offices routers, can I make a port forward of 50059 to the Resolve workstation (or the entire range)? I think it should work, as only one workstation in either end is using Resolve, and so there can be no confusion what machine to forward to. Could that work?

It could work, just succeeded doing this. Nice :). If adding more workstations on either end this approach won't work, but it covers my need for now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve