Zoom Mac Update Kills UltraStudio Feed

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

philshow

Zoom Mac Update Kills UltraStudio Feed

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 1:02 pm

I realize it may not be a Blackmagic issue per se, but I thought Id share that the new Zoom update for Mac pushed yesterday 4.6.10 killed my feed from my Ultrastudio 4k. I reinstalled Desktop Video and removed and reinstalled zoom to no avail. Finding a regression version of zoom and installing fixed the issue for now.

Just posting in case anyone else had the same issue.

AndyMcHardy

Re: Zoom Mac Update Kills UltraStudio Feed

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 2:12 pm

It's not bitten me yet, but I know of others that have had the same issue. From inital info it looks like they have increased security in the app sandbox so it will now only accept a webcam input. If you have a web presenter or an atem mini it 'should' still work.
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

philshow

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 3:13 pm

AndyMcHardy wrote:It's not bitten me yet, but I know of others that have had the same issue. From inital info it looks like they have increased security in the app sandbox so it will now only accept a webcam input. If you have a web presenter or an atem mini it 'should' still work.

Don't think I haven't rushed to place an order for a WebPresenter. Just gonna be a painful wait until they're shipping again.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 4:00 pm

I can confirm .. In Zoom 4.6.10 i see ATEM MINI and not see Ultrastudio Express .. OBS see both ..

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 17.59.38.png
Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 17.59.38.png (136.87 KiB) Viewed 21527 times
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

philshow

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 4:19 pm

It's gotta be a sandbox thing killing the thunderbolt bus but not the USB.

Lee Niederkofler

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 6:51 pm

I have the same issue with my pcie BMD Extreme 3D card.
Downgraded to an older version, so it still works..

But that‘s not a great solution..

Michael De Lazzer

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 am

Thank GOD I found this thread. I have been wracking my brains since 8am when I logged into a meeting and my video was gone. I've tried different resolutions, downgrading and upgrading Ultrastudio drivers, changing the power up sequence, re-installing Zoom. I was in a chat with tech support but no one ever replied or got back to me.

I will try an older version of Zoom but my software auto-updated last night. I'm afraid it will do the same if I can locate an older version. If anyone finds the old version, email or PM me a dropbox link if you can. I'll do the same. This is nuts.

I have an older DNxIO, it has a USB3 port, but as I recall the USB port is only for updating firmware, it won't pass video. I'll have to check on that.

Michael De Lazzer

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 5:17 am

UPDATE: I found a version of Zoom from March. I installed it and everything is working again. Contact me and I'll send you a link, it's on my dropbox now. I tried to upload it, but as I figured, BM doesn't want to host installers.

Michael

Scott Ryan

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 6:16 am

Just came across this issue today 1 hour before my meeting. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I found version 4.6.7 for Mac in my trash and that of course worked. Put those support tickets in with Zoom so they know they have crippled a big part of the program for us.

Edit: More info here
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/ob ... 41/page-19

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zoom/comments/ ... m_to_zoom/

emzdot

PostSat Apr 11, 2020 12:08 pm

I put in a support ticket with Zoom and they sent me a link to the installer for Version 4.6.9 (released April 2, 2020).

RichardJolly

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 10:50 pm

I have seen this issue with W10 as well, but how about the Wirecast Virtual Camera Output solution, passing the capture card through to Zoom, as specified at https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=XXRcX4SKFC8? I just checked and it works with 4.6.10 and 4.6.11 in W10. We used this technique recently to combine a 3-camera studio with a Zoom call, cutting between cameras on the vision mixer and between mixer (via BMD Mini Recorder) and Zoom in Wirecast, leaving sound from both up permanently on a lower layer. The crude part is that you have to capture the input of a second monitor to get the Zoom output back into Wirecast, but it works (as long as you don't cut to the call when the studio is up, which gives video feedback - next time we should manually "spotlight" participants in the Zoom call).

joshswain

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 pm

Any lead on a link to download an older version would be much appreciated.

scotmacman

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:49 pm

This page has direct links to Zoom's archive copies:

https://medium.com/@dkiesow/how-to-fix- ... 872a6d9ea5

joshswain

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 2:18 pm

Hey, those links work! Thank you!

Scott Ryan

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 5:09 pm

Found a fix...update Zoom, install Xcode and unsign Zoom. BMD devices and virtual webcams show back up!

https://www.reddit.com/r/VIDEOENGINEERI ... e_devices/

Joseph Villegas

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 6:16 pm

Try camtwist

Scott Ryan

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Camtwist is another virtual webcam software. The change Zoom made blocked all virtual webcam software and some BMD capture devices. Unsigning the app fixes this since it seems to allow it to load 3rd party libraries. At least I believe that's how it works. Could be wrong about that, but all I know is I'm running the latest version of Zoom (currently 4.6.11 on MacOS) and it works with my BMD hardware and I see Wirecast virtual camera showing up also. Before when it was signed, it didn't show up at all.

AndyMcHardy

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am

It looks like the latest update to zoom (4.6.12) fixes this issue.

I have updated on one of my mac's and my Ultrastudio SDI is working as an input again.
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

MacNath

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 1:25 pm

oh man, i was so frustrated and took me ages to sign up here and see that i'm not the only one who can't get the ultraStudio MiniRecorder to work with Zoom anymore.

Thanks for refering to https://medium.com/@dkiesow/how-to-fix- ... 872a6d9ea5

Version 4.6.8 (March 23, 2020) solved the Problem for me and i guess i'm not going to update Zoom in the near future!

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 2:59 pm

AndyMcHardy wrote:It looks like the latest update to zoom (4.6.12) fixes this issue.
I have updated on one of my mac's and my Ultrastudio SDI is working as an input again.

Im testing it right now with 4.6.12 and it not see my BMD Ultrastudio Express ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Janoodt

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 9:03 pm

I've been through the same process of up- and downgrading of Zoom.
Anyone tested the Zoom ver 5.0.0 or 5.0.1? Is the problem solved in the newest upgrade?

barrybrown

PostSat May 02, 2020 3:38 am

Version 5.0.1 does NOT restore virtual camera support and the UltraStudio mini recorder doesn't work, either. At least by default. However, I can confirm that unsigning the Zoom app returns both functionality.

To do so, you need to have the Xcode Command Line Tools installed. To install them, open a Terminal and type the command

Code: Select all
xcode-select --install

If the tools are not installed, it will prompt you to install them. Once they are installed, quit the Zoom application and then remove the app signature with:

codesign --remove-signature /Applications/zoom.us.app

Re-launch Zoom and virtual camera and BMD devices should re-appear.

ColinMulcahy

PostSun May 03, 2020 11:26 pm

If you're using ultrastudio etc as a Virtual Camera to send video (and optionally audio) into the Zoom app, do not update to the latest version. Stay on version 4.6.8 or earlier.

Background: The recent discussions centering around security in Zoom have prompted Zoom to change the app so that macOS doesn't allow virtual cameras access to Zoom any more.

This means, you will no longer be able to choose certain equipment as a virtual camera in Zoom after version 4.6.8.

Zoom are looking at releasing a new version of their app that enables this feature again.

You can download version 4.6.8 from this link: https://zoom.us/client/4.6.19178.0323/Zoom.pkg – 4.6.8 (March 23, 2020)
4K setup with 6 x URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (G1 & G2), 2 x BMDPCC 6K, BMD 4/ME Broadcast 4K, 6 x Hyperdeck Studio 12G's, CCU, Advanced Panel with all the other BMD units for Live Production.

Clark_Bierbaum

PostWed May 06, 2020 12:40 am

barrybrown wrote:Version 5.0.1 does NOT restore virtual camera support and the UltraStudio mini recorder doesn't work, either. At least by default. However, I can confirm that unsigning the Zoom app returns both functionality.

To do so, you need to have the Xcode Command Line Tools installed. To install them, open a Terminal and type the command

xcode-select --install

If the tools are not installed, it will prompt you to install them. Once they are installed, quit the Zoom application and then remove the app signature with:

THIS WORKS LIKE A CHAMP! THANKS!
Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Production Consultant
clark@garnetcolor.com
Charlotte, NC

DEVIANTS MEIDA

PostWed May 13, 2020 6:48 am

Thanks for this tip, no wirecast needed. Currently working on Catalina OSX using Zoom Version: 5.0.2 (24030.0508).

barrybrown wrote:Version 5.0.1 does NOT restore virtual camera support and the UltraStudio mini recorder doesn't work, either. At least by default. However, I can confirm that unsigning the Zoom app returns both functionality.

xcode-select --install

JaphetDeOliveira

PostTue May 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Clark_Bierbaum wrote:

xcode-select --install

I just bought the BMD 4k Ultra and it worked with every platform except for ZOOM... was breaking my heart and than I found this thread. Worked perfectly. Thanks

neilmac

PostWed May 20, 2020 10:45 pm

Be aware that using zoom is a bit of a problem now as you can't broadcast in HD. They have throttled the data rate so that your sending a 640 x 360 pixel image. Looks crap.

JaphetDeOliveira

PostThu May 21, 2020 4:39 am

My zoom call today was rather complex to get the entire system working. If I launch BM Media Express that really helps to bring the sound in. I have ordered XLR cable direct into the BMD Ultra 4k mini with a Sennheiser MK4 mic and see if that will work. Also have a mini xlr to regular xlr to test that instead of the wireless on - all through Zoom.

@AdamAndroid

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:22 pm

ZOOM has forced an update to version 5, and i cannot figure out how to use my UltraStudio Mini Recorder now. I know some of you had success with downgrading previously, but that seems to be no longer an uption. Has anybody located a solution?

JaphetDeOliveira

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 9:39 pm

I have had several problems with Zoom and the update to 5.0 as well.

1. Sound is the most difficult issue. It does not pick it up every time.
2. I did the terminal hack in this thread
3. I open Media Express and Zoom
4. But that works only part of that time.

SO now I am trying ATEM Mini through Ultra Studio 4K Mini to Zoom/Teams and Livestream Studio 6

Wilbur Nelson

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 3:45 pm

Thank you -- worked perfectly.
Clark_Bierbaum wrote:

xcode-select --install

THIS WORKS LIKE A CHAMP! THANKS!

vibefreetv

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 pm

Did anyone get this to work. I tried running "codesign --remove-signature /Applications/zoom.us.app" command from the terminal.

It didn't work. I used to be able to get both SKype of Zoom, older version. One day, everything stopped working using the Mini Recorder.

Really need a solution.

vibefreetv

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 8:56 am

I updated the Desktop Video App and my Opersting System. Everything works fine now

JaphetDeOliveira

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 2:17 pm

vibefreetv wrote:Did anyone get this to work. I tried running "codesign --remove-signature /Applications/zoom.us.app" command from the terminal.

It didn't work. I used to be able to get both SKype of Zoom, older version. One day, everything stopped working using the Mini Recorder.

Really need a solution.

I found two options work with Zoom and MS Teams. Both with BMCC6K and XLR mic into the camera.

1. BM UltraStudioMini4K - this one you need to for Zoom have the BM Media Express software open first.

2. BM ATEM Mini or Pro (used both) - they work easily, but occasionally with Zoom good idea to plug power back in.

TommyTang

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 3:24 am

Zoom updates no longer supports any BlackMagic stuff:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... ure-device
You will a list of brands they support.

I am not bypassing their camera using my shuttle USB3.0 on my Mac Mini and MacBook Air using a shared screen. The camera is detected on Quciktime, I simply share the QuickTime window on Zoom.

K1_Steaksauce

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 6:30 pm

TommyTang wrote:Zoom updates no longer supports any BlackMagic stuff:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... ure-device
You will a list of brands they support.

I am not bypassing their camera using my shuttle USB3.0 on my Mac Mini and MacBook Air using a shared screen. The camera is detected on Quciktime, I simply share the QuickTime window on Zoom.

Does this mean that the perviously mentioned solution with the lines of code won't work?

xcode-select --install

If this doesn't work any more what is your new work around?

skjelson

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 4:20 pm

Anyone find a solution?

Just called tech support at BlackMagic and they do not seem to know there is an issue.

Linden deCarmo

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 1:44 pm

Running Desktop Video 12.1 on Big Sur 11.4 on a Macbook. None of my apps (Skype, Facetime, Meet etc.) recognize the UltraStudio 4k Mini video device, but they do see the audio device. Same thing for about a year now.

Anyone else been able to figure out how to get this working without playing games with unsigned versions of the app? Is this an issue with the BlackMagic drivers on OS X not being signed?

Return to Live Production