Maybe the fastest 8-BAY NAS in the world.

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

MysticFoxDE

Maybe the fastest 8-BAY NAS in the world.

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 am

Hi Friends,

I am currently writing a small review about an Infortrend 8-BAY NAS and have tested its performance with the Disk Speed ​​Test.
The NAS is equipped with 8 Intel SSDs and is connected to my Windows 10 workstation with 4 x 10G via iSCSI and MPIO.
And before anyone starts saying that MPIO doesn't work on Windows 10, see the following.
MPIO.png
WINDOWS 10 & MPIO
MPIO.png (135.33 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

But back to the important one.
When I saw the results, I couldn't quite believe it at the beginning, but even after the 20 run, the values ​​remained very constant.
BMDDST_GSe_PRO_208T_5G.png
TEST RESULT
BMDDST_GSe_PRO_208T_5G.png (425.97 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Could it be, that I just shot the record for an 8-BAY NAS?

Best Regards from Germany

Alex

BensTechLab

Re: Maybe the fastest 8-BAY NAS in the world.

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 11:07 pm

Looks like fun playing with benchmarks!! But your tests don't say as much about the particular NAS as it does about the drives (Intel SSDs) and the network (4 x 10G!!). When in the real world will you ever use 4 x 10G to a single workstation?

MysticFoxDE

Re: Maybe the fastest 8-BAY NAS in the world.

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi BensTechLab,

BensTechLab wrote:Looks like fun playing with benchmarks!!

the post should only demonstrate the maximum performance of the NAS, nothing more and nothing less.

BensTechLab wrote:But your tests don't say as much about the particular NAS

What exactly do you want to know?
I tested an Infortrend GSe PRO 208T that was equipped with 8 Intel S3700er SSDs.
You can also look at the manufacturer's website for more information. Unfortunately I cannot post links.

Yes, the SSDs are a bit older, but I have no 8 other lying around on the shelf.
Seagate had given me 4 SSDs for testing in addition to the 8 EXOS X16s, but with the 4 Seagate SSDs I am nowhere near able to demonstrate the full performance, because I do not rate the same with (RAID5) 3x550 MB/s come like 7x550 MB/s.
And we both know I believe that the NAS with newer and equivalent SSDs hardly runs slower.

BensTechLab wrote: and the network (4 x 10G!!). When in the real world will you ever use 4 x 10G to a single workstation?

As I wrote above, I am not concerned with the workstation but with the performance of the NAS. And that I can already achieve these values with a workstation can hardly be considered a disadvantage at this point.

Best Regards from Germany

Alex

Return to Off-Topic