10 Bit Support free version?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Lukas K

10 Bit Support free version?

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi,

i wonder if the free version of DaVinci Resolve 16.2 does support h264 10Bit Footage? (Panasonic S1)

I somewhere read that 10Bit is only supported in Premium, but on the other hand i downloaded some 10Bit Clips from the Panasonic S1 from different internet sources and they seem to work in my free version.

I'd just like to know before buying the S1, if i also immediately need DaVinci Resolve Premium to easily use the 10Bit function.

Thanks,
Lukas

Uli Plank

Re: 10 Bit Support free version?

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Are you on Mac or PC? Under MacOS, the free version supports those formats.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 9:32 am

It depends on the specific flavor of H.264. Here's a link to the list of supported formats on various versions of Resolve:

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... c_List.pdf
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Lukas K

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:36 pm

I am on PC, Windows 10.

Thank you for the list, i am not sure if i understand it correctly though - there's one category named Panasonic (Format) - mov (File Ex.) but there isn't any information about the bitrate (neither about 4k btw) and h264 isn't mentioned.
Then there is one Panasonic - SHV category, in which 10 Bit is listed as studio only, but I don't really know what SHV is exactly and don't think that's a Format the S1 captures...

And then there's a H.264 - mov category, which doesn't mention 10Bit or antything neither...little confusing, unfortunately :(

John Paines

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 1:20 pm

The 10 bit footage from the S1 is "AVC", a variant of h.264. The free version on Windows doesn't support 10 bit h.264 formats. But you say you've had success reading the S1 files, so if you've confirmed that the files are actually 10-bit camera original, not transcodes to other formats or 8 bit originals, you have your answer. Maybe these files are an exception.

If you buy the camera and find they're not readable after all, as I suspect, transcode them to another format, like DNxHR, until your Resolve license arrives. Shutter Encoder and cliptooz are among free apps which can do the transcodes.

Lukas K

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Thank you!

Maybe the files i tried were transcoded already, i don't know.
so probably i will transcode my files then until i have the Studio Version as you said :)

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Lukas K wrote:Thank you!

Maybe the files i tried were transcoded already, i don't know.
so probably i will transcode my files then until i have the Studio Version as you said :)

if in the mean time you not found a transcoder, here the command line to manage conversion from
free ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i NameOfSource -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -c:a pcm_s16le NameOfOutput.mov

Return to Post Production