BRAW files not playing back in Davinci / MacOS

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 pm

I shot some stuff yesterday, and half of the files i imported worked fine and the other half show "Media Offline" and i can't even open them up in Blackmagic RAW Player.
tried it on a different card (same camera, UMP), and now i can't review anything on my Mac.

I have recently updated to Catalina on my MacBook.

I can't imagine it being a BMD issue, though. Any help?
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Adam Langdon

Re: BRAW files not playing back in Davinci / MacOS

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 5:46 pm

Found the Answer!

i was recording in 1250 ISO and setting the RAW from "project" to "Clip" in the COLOR tab in Resolve instantly fixed the issue.

So no footage lost, but good to know. I'll leave this here for others to search for.

Setting your ISO on the UMP other than 800/1600/3200etc, may result in "media not found" or an inability to playback.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 am

I tend to stick with 400 and 3200 ISO in camera when it matters and then adjust ISO and/or Exposure in the Camera raw tab in Resolve / Colour. I’ve had no issue setting ISO in post if needed, but I change the Exposure as needed. I find that does a good job of bringing levels down gracefully -5 stops which I used on the narrative short bedroom scene.

The producer was worried I had too much light in the room and I should keep the bedroom lighting low like when she used a RED camera, but she loved the results I got in the deliverable with BRAW Q0 at -5 stops in post.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 8:33 am

You would want to starve a Red of light? It can get quite noisy.
A bedroom scene needs the right amount of contrast, not low light. It's always better to bring it down in post.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 3:00 am

Not sure if you misinterpreted what I said. The producer wanted less light in the room but I told her I’d keep the light and bring it down 5 stops in post and she loved the result after all.

According to her the RED could shoot well with less light, but I have no experience with RED. She’s not an expert on cameras from the perspective of technology and her memory may not be accurate. I’m not going to trust anyone’s anecdotal comments over my experience (unless it’s something I was told by folks here).
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 am

Sure, I understood that you are doing things right, I was referring to her comment.

Having worked a lot with Red cameras in the past, I'd doubt that their low-light behaviour would be better than a BMPCC until very recently. They never had FPN stripes, though, due to tedious calibration.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 1:03 am

Thanks for the clarification. Yes the BMPCC4K can handle low light much better than the URSA Mini 4.6K, since I don’t worry as much about the FPN issue. Still I like to have the needle on the histogram reasonably close to the mid-point if I can although I shoot lower without any problem so far!
Rick Lang

Blaine Suque

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 5:49 am

Adam Langdon wrote:Found the Answer!

i was recording in 1250 ISO and setting the RAW from "project" to "Clip" in the COLOR tab in Resolve instantly fixed the issue.

So no footage lost, but good to know. I'll leave this here for others to search for.

Setting your ISO on the UMP other than 800/1600/3200etc, may result in "media not found" or an inability to playback.

WOW, i got so scared until i saw this post. Thank you for clarifying this.

I literally just updated resolve and my UMP to the latest firmwares as of July 2020.
New features from the update on the camera include smaller ISO increments, I shot a bunch of stuff at ISO 640 and 1000 today and when i dumped the footage all the media was saying offline but i can hear audio still. I went to color page and changed the raw tab from project to clip and everything works. I cant believe blackmagic hasnt fixed this yet.
Blaine Suque

http://blainesuque.com/

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 11:08 am

you can also load all media, change iso, click on bottun to update sidecar, then all files can be loaded on every software that read braw and see correctly.
Seems that braw 1.7 is not so updated to manage correctly this newer version of ump isos...
I usually shoot 400 iso with UMP (lower or higher light) and use a special lut develope from me to lower or higher viewing, but i prefer to stich on that iso which give me best of quality, dr (i know native iso is 800, but exposed like 400 give you better quality in dark shadow) and never i had problem.
to be honest, i tried to use this newer firmware, but... i'm back to previous, too much problem of workflow (iso wrong, problem of external monitor, see other thread, no dng) against the only one advantage for me, the custom guide, no thanks, i prefer 6.1 firmware, work fine and i had all i need.

Return to Cinematography