Intensity Pro PCIe - Only HDMI input

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mjd_001

Intensity Pro PCIe - Only HDMI input

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 11:52 pm

Hi,
I'm just getting started with an Intensity Pro PCIe card. It is not an Intensity Pro 4K. When I start up Desktop Video Setup, I only see HDMI for the video input. I really want to be able to use the analog inputs. I can see other video inputs listed, but they might be grayed out because I can't set them.

I'm not sure what to do about this? Do I need to update the firmware on the board?

Thanks,
Mark

mjd_001

Re: Intensity Pro PCIe - Only HDMI input

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 2:05 pm

By the way, I installed Desktop Video 11.5 from the website. However, if I look at Device Manager on the machine, it does not appear to be installed correctly.

mjd_001

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 8:13 pm

More information...

I'm using Windows 10, 64 bit
I just uninstalled the Desktop video drivers and software using the control panel.
Shut down the computer and took out the Intensity Pro card.
Restarted the computer. Everything is ok.
Shutdown the computer and reinstalled the PCIe Intensity Pro
Started the computer. It starts ok.
Ran the .msi file for version 11.5 of Desktop Video to install the drivers.
Upon restart, the computer just hangs. The PC won't boot until I uninstall the card.

Christopher Osborn

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 8:22 pm

There was some weirdness involving Windows and the BlackMagic Design background processes and services.
I don't remember the details completely but something about the update services not being enabled in the Windows Background services.

It's been a few years since I had to deal with this but as I recall as long as the services were disabled, the software couldn't connect to the card to run the firmware update that is an automatic part of the Desktop Video installer process. I vaguely recall going into msconfig or maybe gpedit to enable the blackmagic update service - but you'd have to start Google hunting for the specific details.

This all happened right around version 9 of the Desktop Video - so:

TL;DR - Try running a really old version of Desktop Video (circa v.8 or 9) and see if that talks to your card, if so try then try upgrading Desktop Video step by step to v.10 and see if that fixes the services problem.
MacMini 2018 Mojave (i7 8700B, 64GB, RX580 - Mantiz Saturn II eGPU)
MacMini 2020 Monterey (M1 16GB)
Windows 10 (i7 6950X, 128GB, RTX 3080ti)
Intensity Pro 4K / Desktop Video 12.3
An Avid editor hoping for a better way...

Return to Getting Started