Uploading on Youtube (Quality)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

matthieucote

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Gooood morning Blackmagic family, went shooting for the first times with my Blackmagic camera, I love her so much. Now it's time to improve what I'm filming! Question for you.

I have uploaded my test on Youtube and noticed that I'm loosing a lot of quality (to be expected), see tests below:

First thing I know I did wrong is exporting my video in .MP4 H.264, I read that it's best to go with Quicktime -> DNxHR 444 12-bit, Data Levels checked on Full.

Even there I remember uploading a test (it's much longer because the file is larger) and still loosing some quality for example a shot with the water that demands more resolution because of the details.

What is your go-to to export your footage and present it online? I know vimeo is probably better but my files are too big and you need to subscribe. Wondering if it's worth doing that too.

Thank so much for your help as usual, I always get my answers here!

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 5:11 am

YouTube is bad beast, it’s not simple to manage. It ever re-encode files, in different way.
1) check their tech setup, if YouTube encoder meet different setup i ever see that it compress more than necessary
2) Don’t denoise too much files.
Often people that less noise = more quality, but of encoding algorithms think less noise less important details than we can compress more and more, a bit of noise is like dithering in printing process that also if you have 4 color seems tons of it.
3) don’t export directly from project h264 but (like you did) and later produce h264 with good encoder, to keep small noise details, I suggest free handbrake, a ffmpeg interface, that have the profile to do a good encoding with analista profile to keep grain/noise, later you tube algo during compress can remove it, but keep more details.
4) if you had more consistence on your movie you have more quality, if you alternate different contrast / Luma kind of picture YouTube encoding work with median setup where eat more details than one kind of picture against Vimeo.
But obviously YouTube is based on generic sources, often from smartphone, less quality then a video camera or a cinema camera, Vimeo is based on video from pro source.
5) test test test many different encoding.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

matthieucote

Re: Uploading on Youtube (Quality)

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 5:34 am

Very good feedback thanks for your input, I do see what you are saying about keeping a certain consistency, in the first video when I transition from the moving water which demands a lot to each pixel to the very still shot of the field, Youtube didn't like that (0:25 mark)

There is no magic "Film Look" button of course but I'm glad to hear that Vimeo might be worth investing for a subscription to get better quality.
Attachments
filmllok.png
filmllok.png (317.29 KiB) Viewed 1694 times

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 6:15 am

The magic button for “film look” no, setup for film grain yess :-)
Encoding It’s not rocket science but unfortunately it is not an exact science be cause every times you start from a different source.
I know many people that their work is encoding for Blu-ray, for tv, for streaming tv.

matthieucote

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:The magic button for “film look” no, setup for film grain yess :-)
Encoding It’s not rocket science but unfortunately it is not an exact science be cause every times you start from a different source.
I know many people that their work is encoding for Blu-ray, for tv, for streaming tv.

Regarding a previous point you made on the Denoising, I haven't been using any of those denoising trick but I'm sure I'll get around to mess around with this, and setup for film grain as well. Starting to get to know my new camera as I haven't been shooting for a while and just bought this recently.

I'll try Vimeo and also different export settings.

matthieucote

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 8:22 am

I did one where I tried to make the shots more consistent like you suggested, it came out a lot better!

Thanks for your tip.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 2:21 pm

matthieucote wrote:I did one where I tried to make the shots more consistent like you suggested, it came out a lot better!

Thanks for your tip.

I'm happy that i help you.
i saw video, quite good result at 1080p, clear from digital defects
thumbs up :-D

matthieucote

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 12:08 am

Thanks again for your help on my previous question, still on that topic. I have a video shot in 4K and when I upload it on Youtube I don't see the 4K option. What is the best way to upload a video in 4K on Youtube?

By the way, making my first steps with the Blackmagic and also Da Vinci Resolve, I used to work with an old Rebel T3i and Premiere Pro so it's a learning curve. I really appreciate the help I've got here.

Today I was a bit nervous ahead of an upcoming shoot I have this weekend so I decided to challenge myself to make a 30-sec video about pouring a glass of water (you know, that's the ressources I had :lol: ), mainly to practice my editing, lighting, close-ups, etc.

I can't seem to figure out how to put it in 4K on Youtube. (Sorry for the dark color grading I got excited in the middle of my tutorial)

matthieucote

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 12:11 am

Oops nevermind I see it now.

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:57 am

matthieucote wrote:Oops nevermind I see it now.

Youtube when you upload video re-encode all, first allow you to see fhd which is most popular choise for mobile etc, later (few seconds or minutes depend of servers stress) allow you to see other options.
Sometimes it not show all option from mobile, and /or if you not have enough bandwitch to see it.
In the last period most of streaming service lock 4k option due covid 19 workload for smartworking and allow people to work better from home.
i see video, nice lighting setup ;-D

Return to Post Production