Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Darkfable wrote:My concern isn't that BMD have missed the shipping date they have specified, coz clearly its still JULY. My beef is with the overall disrespect and lack of communication to their customers. Basically what it will come down to is cameras arriving on peoples door steps without them knowing what the thing even does. Does it shoot RAW? The spec sheet says yes, the testers say no. BMD Say...well they say nothing as usual! unless they release a statement stating that it doesn't shoot RAW before shipping then they are breaking the law on false advertising. The website clearly says it shoots RAW (not has the potential to shoot RAW) and the last interview with a BMD representative said it will shoot RAW on release. This is why people have put money down! It is why I have put money down! If it then ships without RAW and BMD keep silent as they always do then they are false advertising regardless of what they say it might do in the future.

What are you talking about. BMD has made many statements about the new cameras. Including Christine Peterson posting about them just a few days ago, and there's also the interview on video from the expo in Asia about a month ago. I suspect those aren't the only recent public comments from BMD employees.

Perhaps you should save your dark thoughts for after Aug. 1st, if in fact BMD's self-imposed deadline passes without a sign that shipping has started?

-
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhook

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:We should wait until BMD's self-imposed deadline has passed, and then release the hounds if necessary, but not a day before.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Perhaps you should save your dark thoughts for after Aug. 1st, if in fact BMD's self-imposed deadline passes without a sign that shipping has started?

You are every bit as deep into redundancy as you are verbosity aren't you? :lol:
Last edited by bhook on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:15 pm

mhood wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:We should wait until BMD's self-imposed deadline has passed, and then release the hounds if necessary, but not a day before.

You are every bit as deep into redundancy as you are verbosity aren't you? :lol:

As are many of us, present company included.

I'm killing time before I run out the door for a shoot .... :lol:

-

bhook

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Please...run out the door already.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:21 pm

mhood wrote:Please...run out the door already.

Will only be a brief respite ... :lol:

-

Kingsley Paul

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:21 pm

To be fair to BMD, this outpouring of grievances should really start after the july 31st deadline. At the same time BMD has to clarify on the technical issues of RAW and UHS-II host support raised by forum members.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:24 pm

satyablack wrote:To be fair to BMD, this outpouring of grievances should really start after the july 31st deadline. At the same time BMD has to clarify on the technical issues of RAW and UHS-II host support raised by forum members.

I expect the technical issues "of RAW and UHS-II host support" will be addressed soon enough.

-

David Franzo

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Peter917 wrote:Haha I was just thinking BMD is just reading all of this not responsing on purpose and they have tons of pocket cameras ready to ship this week and love how much there being bashed that once they ship on time with RAW they can sit back and read all the positive comments. Kind of funny to think about it being a possibility.

Hah, yes! That's the way to think 8-)
I keep having to come on here after every email notification to see if there's some news, but it's always some sort of snide remark.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and they should all be put out in the open for the benefit of everyone else to take into consideration, but that's it: it should be stated once and be done with. No need to state it every chance they get. It doesn't help anyone.

Vitorio Pagliuso

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:48 pm

With only 4 videos (JB and Captain Hook)they must be had sold thousand cameras. It imagines with hundreds of videos posts after the cameras to be in the market. They go to sell very much more!
They had obtained total attention in NAB 2013 with the 2 launchings, dimming great marks. At the moment what the competitors want it is that it delays the deliveries.They know that the Pocket Cam is the product that angers at the hands of professionals, students, fans etc. and without a doubt will be the great moment of the company and know of the importance to fulfill the July deadline.

josephrose

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:50 pm

vitpag wrote:With only 4 videos (JB and Captain Hook)they must be had sold thousand cameras. It imagines with hundreds of videos posts after the cameras to be in the market. They go to sell very much more!
They had obtained total attention in NAB 2013 with the 2 launchings, dimming great marks. At the moment what the competitors want it is that it delays the deliveries.They know that the Pocket Cam is the product that angers at the hands of professionals, students, fans etc. and without a doubt will be the great moment of the company and know of the importance to fulfill the July deadline.

Best post ever.

JerryBruck

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 6:58 pm

All your bases are belong to us!

Richard Oakes

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 7:34 pm

josephrose wrote:
vitpag wrote:With only 4 videos (JB and Captain Hook)they must be had sold thousand cameras. It imagines with hundreds of videos posts after the cameras to be in the market. They go to sell very much more!

Best post ever.

totally!!
Richard Oakes.

Chiaroscuro

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Please do not use Google Translate!

Erik Swan

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Chiaroscuro wrote:Please do not use Google Translate!

Would you rather have him/her post in his/her native language? I mean yeah it's not perfect English but with a little intelligence you can figure out what he is saying. :roll:

On the topic of communication, yeah, they may have nothing to communicate (everything is going according to plan!), but seeing how almost everyone has their jimmies in a rustle it would be wise of them to release a simple statement that everything is going according to plan, with an actual concrete ship date.

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 8:10 pm

frnz wrote:Everyone's entitled to their opinion and they should all be put out in the open for the benefit of everyone else to take into consideration, but that's it: it should be stated once and be done with. No need to state it every chance they get. It doesn't help anyone.

Well, obviously it helps those who are posting. While waiting for news, _any_ news, good or bad, every one checks in here from time to time, finds nothing new, yet wants to say something, anything, to pass the time.

satyablack wrote:BMD has to clarify on the technical issues of RAW and UHS-II host support raised by forum members.

I'm pretty sure the Pocket CC won't support UHS-II. This standard has been specified in 2011, yet there haven't been any cards or readers available when BMD showcased the first Pocket CCs earlier this year. It would be a _great_ marketing advantage if the camera actually supported UHS-II, thus their silence about UHS-II is a clear statement of its own.

It's no shortcoming though, as UHS-I is just fast enough for mildly (lossless) compressed raw. Right now the lack of large _and_ fast cards is the real problem, but that will resolve itself quickly once the cameras are out and demand rises. Future UHS-II-cards will be downward compatible to UHS-I, and if they are fast enough through UHS-II they also will be fast enough on UHS-I.

UHS-II compliance might - in theory - open the camera to recording uncompressed raw, but what for? If BMD comes through with compressed raw recording, why should any one want to record the (bit wise) same data less effective?

Chiaroscuro

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Erik Swan wrote:

Would you rather have him/her post in his/her native language? I mean yeah it's not perfect English but with a little intelligence you can figure out what he is saying.

No personal criticism intended, really, simply trying to add a little humor to an otherwise very dreary atmosphere.
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist

Vitorio Pagliuso

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Chiaroscuro wrote:
Erik Swan wrote:

Would you rather have him/her post in his/her native language? I mean yeah it's not perfect English but with a little intelligence you can figure out what he is saying.

No personal criticism intended, really, simply trying to add a little humor to an otherwise very dreary atmosphere.

Ok, the atmosphere is dreary or how we talk here "o tempo está pesado" because we hope for this little beauty until the end off Jully.
I think that the all the persons who write here and pay for pre-order's have one passion in common. Make even the best image !! Only for that we expect this cam, and if she came soon consequently we make this cam a big success.

This time i don't use the translator :lol:

Richard Oakes

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Richard Oakes.

Chiaroscuro

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 pm

vitpag wrote:I think that the all the persons who write here and pay for pre-order's have one passion in common.

For sure, I am one of those persons also.
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist

Christine Peterson

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 9:40 pm

The team tells me that we are still on track to start shipping before the end of July. I'm not sure if there will be more of an official update than that within the next week, but for anyone in the LA area, we will have cameras at our event on Thursday if you want to check them out: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10228

Please remember to be respectful of each other.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Richard Oakes

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:The team tells me that we are still on track to start shipping before the end of July. I'm not sure if there will be more of an official update than that within the next week, but for anyone in the LA area, we will have cameras at our event on Thursday if you want to check them out: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10228

Thanks christine this is good to know!
Richard Oakes.

bhook

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:The team tells me that we are still on track to start shipping before the end of July. I'm not sure if there will be more of an official update than that within the next week, but for anyone in the LA area, we will have cameras at our event on Thursday if you want to check them out: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10228

Does this include the 4K? And if it does, where is the demo footage? And if there is none, why not?

ungovernedreason

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Wow thats insane! A simple "hey guys...still on track" update!!!! Make sure you dont get fired for actually being a good communicator!!!
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Jace Ross

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Christine has posted several times recently with a similar, why was it an information blackout then but now everyone feels reassured?

Keep up the good work Christine.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Chiaroscuro

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 pm

“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.”
― Washington Irving
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist

Ryan Jones

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:It's no shortcoming though, as UHS-I is just fast enough for mildly (lossless) compressed raw. Right now the lack of large _and_ fast cards is the real problem, but that will resolve itself quickly once the cameras are out and demand rises. Future UHS-II-cards will be downward compatible to UHS-I, and if they are fast enough through UHS-II they also will be fast enough on UHS-I.

UHS-II compliance might - in theory - open the camera to recording uncompressed raw, but what for? If BMD comes through with compressed raw recording, why should any one want to record the (bit wise) same data less effective?

More about competition in the SD card market to me Mac. If more high speed cards are available it will hopefully drive down pricing. If UHS-II cards are fast enough to do what we need that's good enough for me.

Benjamin Pearce

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 5:53 am

I spoke to a rep at the Blackmagic booth at SMPTE in Sydney today and he said shipping would be in the next couple of weeks. Had a chance to have a play with the Pocket Camera and really liked what I saw! I'd certainly love to have the camera now but I can definitely wait for it and not get my knickers in a knot :-)

Erik Swan

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 am

Thank you very much for the update Christine. It is very much appreciated! :)

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 7:43 am

Answer so far on support for UHS-II...
Looks like more to info to come and I will follow up when I visit the stand again on Thursday or Friday...

> From: justin@newmagic.com.au
> To: bmpcc.stuff@thedoco.co
> Subject: RE: BMPCC support for UHS-II
> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 23:50:12 +0000
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thank you for contacting Blackmagic Design support. Your request has been forwarded to New Magic Australia, the master distributor for Blackmagic Design products in Australia and New Zealand. We also handle all sales, support and warranty enquires for our customers.
>
> We don't have any information regarding UHS-II SD cards being supported on the Pocket Cinema Camera. Not sure if the camera will have the additional pins that UHS-II uses, but my understanding is that these SD cards can be used in non-USH-II devices and still offer UHS-I speeds (104 MB/s max theoretical). We'll try to find out some more info from BMD.
>
> In any case, the extra speed that these UHS-II cards will offer over the current SDXC UHS-I cards may not be of any use, as there will be no "write delay" like some dslrs. The files are written directly to the SD card in realtime, provided the SD card is fast enough. If the SD card is too slow, you'll simply get dropped frames and/or corrupted files.
>
> Just as there is a certified SSD list, there will also be a certified SD card list and any SD card not on this list won't be officially supported.
>
>
> Regards,
> Justin Moy
> Technical Support,
> New Magic Australia Pty Ltd
> +61 3 9722 9700
> justin@newmagic.com.au
> www.newmagic.com.au

Ludvig_strom

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 8:07 am

Stop freaking out. This Schrödinger's cat is certainly not dead (or even delayed). Go grab an icecream and go out in the sun.

Cristobal Infante

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 9:13 am

The team tells me that we are still on track to start shipping before the end of July. I'm not sure if there will be more of an official update than that within the next week,

Thanks for the update Christine!

davidstripinis

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 9:48 am

By all means, if you're not happy with what's happening, cancel your preorder.

Especially if you're with CVP. I'll gladly move up in the list.

Planning a shoot based on unreleased hardware is irresponsible and unprofessional. The camera ships when it ships. Get over it.

Zorik_IL

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 9:54 am

9 Women Can’t Make a Baby in a Month .
I am pretty sure cameras are ready for shipping.

Richard Oakes

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 10:04 am

Zorik_IL wrote:9 Women Can’t Make a Baby in a Month .
I am pretty sure cameras are ready for shipping.

I don't even!
Richard Oakes.

Jace Ross

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 11:51 am

spike wrote:
davidstripinis wrote:By all means, if you're not happy with what's happening, cancel your preorder.

Especially if you're with CVP. I'll gladly move up in the list.

Planning a shoot based on unreleased hardware is irresponsible and unprofessional. The camera ships when it ships. Get over it.

Yes, because consistently MISSING deadlines ISN'T unprofessional. Why don't YOU get over YOURSELF. Not sure who you were talking to or if they deserved what you were trying to accomplish by saying it, but one things for sure. Your post is silly.

As a genuine question, what deadlines have been missed? The BMCC was... and?

Like I said months ago though, delays happen, especially in the IT industry in which I work. We have a belief that delays are fine if it's to improve/perfect the product. I don't understand why everyone is so upset, it's a common occurrence in every industry and we all knew from the BMCC that there's a chance it'd be late or released at the latest possible point within their estimated shipping time.

Was it like this on the Red forums with all the delays and such surrounding the Scarlet?
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5

Cristobal Infante

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 11:56 am

Enjoy guys, this video made my day. Not pocket related, but good to keep perspective on what is actually important here. It's not the tech, but what you do with it. Have a great day everyone!

http://bmcc.tv/whisky-river-dont-let-th ... op-rollin/

Shot with the bmcc of course ;)

davidstripinis

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Jace Ross wrote:
Was it like this on the Red forums with all the delays and such surrounding the Scarlet?

Yes. This reminds me quite a bit of RED / REDUSER back in the day, and not in any pleasant way.

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Morning everyone:

Just a quick note on some of these posts. We need people to be civil to one another. Name calling, picking fights, etc. has to stop. It really doesn't help anyone.

Terry

IVIaverick52

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 3:08 pm

I've been stalking the forums for a while now waiting on updates about the release for the BMPCC and decided to go ahead and make an account.
I'd personally like to commend Black Magic for doing what they've done thus far. They are offering products that are completely changing the professional film industry, and in many ways merging the lines between amateurs and pros. The nature of supporting the little guy is knowing that they run into hitches because they don't have the budget that Nikon or Canon do to dish out massive amounts of products on a moments notice. But I'm also the little guy, so they have my support even if it means having to wait a little while longer.
Cheers to those who innovate, not to those who only meet our sometimes outrageous demands for the sake of revenue.

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 3:20 pm

@IVIaverick52: Here here!!

Richard Oakes

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 3:30 pm

IVIaverick52 wrote:I've been stalking the forums for a while now waiting on updates about the release for the BMPCC and decided to go ahead and make an account.
I'd personally like to commend Black Magic for doing what they've done thus far. They are offering products that are completely changing the professional film industry, and in many ways merging the lines between amateurs and pros. The nature of supporting the little guy is knowing that they run into hitches because they don't have the budget that Nikon or Canon do to dish out massive amounts of products on a moments notice. But I'm also the little guy, so they have my support even if it means having to wait a little while longer.
Cheers to those who innovate, not to those who only meet our sometimes outrageous demands for the sake of revenue.

I think the company is great and the products are fantastic, and you are right, they are the little man and therefore run into snags, i just wish there was more of a 2 way communication thing going on.
Richard Oakes.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 4:39 pm

spike wrote:... It was their decision to announce a release date ...

As this is a thread about the BMPCC pocket cam, I'm confused by your comment.

Are you implying that BMD has missed a deadline for the BMPCC, or something else?

I agree with you that BMD has certainly missed some of their self-imposed deadlines in the past, but that's not the case with the BMPCC, is it?

-

Anthony Vescio

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 6:21 pm

@Spike - Please educate me: What's not great about producing workable equipment for startups at prices they can afford?

IMHO it is a far greater and nobler thing than entrenched incumbents building barriers to creativity and innovation in a world where only the big bully boys get to play.

As Peter rightly says: BMD have yet to miss their self declared shipping indication on this fora's subject - the BMPCC - there's still six days to go!

For that matter if they do slip a day or three will it really matter?

As for communication I have always found them willing to answer the questions I have asked and with a noticeable lack of marketing double speak. Have you ever bothered to email or phone them?

THANK YOU BLACKMAGIC DESIGN FOR BEING THE COMPANY THAT BUILDS WORKABLE TOOLS FOR CREATIVE START UPS AT PRICES THEY CAN AFFORD.

I am going to shut up now before I start sounding like a fan boy.

Jace Ross

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 pm

davidstripinis wrote:
Jace Ross wrote:

Yes. This reminds me quite a bit of RED / REDUSER back in the day, and not in any pleasant way.

Can't say it's surprising. Thanks for that.

simonspear

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Jace Ross wrote: Was it like this on the Red forums with all the delays and such surrounding the Scarlet?

Yes it was (!) although RED deleted many of the negative posts so you'd never know just how bad it got by looking at the forum archives!

Jace Ross

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 pm

simonspear wrote:
Jace Ross wrote: Was it like this on the Red forums with all the delays and such surrounding the Scarlet?

Yes it was (!) although RED deleted many of the negative posts so you'd never know just how bad it got by looking at the forum archives!

Haha damage control.

Lxd

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 12:47 am

OK. Based on the information available, and the general vibe. Here are my predictions for the Pocket Cinema Camera:

1. Initial shipment of 250-500 cameras starts being sent out to re-sellers by 31 July.
2. First “I got mine today!” messages before 5th August and footage a day or so after
3. Raw option not built into camera, but firmware upgrade around same time as cameras arrive.
4. Pre-orders of maybe 1500 cameras filled by end of year.
5. Big rush of orders once first cameras arrive and footage posted. Black Magic still filling back order 1 year after release.

I expect my camera to arrive mid-September and be freaking awesome. I’ll use the delay to work on scripts. If it takes longer I can always rent something else in the meantime.
Alex Davidson
Auckland, New Zealand

Peter Poulos

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 1:23 am

Well we will have information tomorrow. I ordered from hotrod cameras and I'm number 15 on pre order list so hopefully be one of the first to get the camera!

bhook

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 am

Peter917 wrote:Well we will have information tomorrow. I ordered from hotrod cameras and I'm number 15 on pre order list so hopefully be one of the first to get the camera!

I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm not sure where this 7/25/2013 thing came from but Christine made it clear that the workshop being held on the 25th was not for any announcements.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography