Davinci resolve 16: Stuck on loading fairlight page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Grgurev

Re: Davinci resolve 16: Stuck on loading fairlight page

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Jerry Suppan wrote:It's unfortunate a single issue like this (DPdecoder.exe) prevents us DaVinci Resolve from being usable. But if Microsoft says there is no fix at the moment, and BMD will not be fixing or eliminating the problem, there is no choice but to consider alternatives in the meantime for productivity. I will wait for a resolution to the problem, IF, there will even be one.
Cheers,

Or you could just not install the insider builds which are expected to both fix issues and introduce other ones. I'm saying this and I'm part of the insider program. Yea, it's fun to get the newest features first but even I'm aware that there's a risk there when opting into something like that on a work computer.

This problem with Resolve getting stuck at "Loading Fairlight" is long-standing. One of the reasons why so many of my feature requests talk about simplifying things or merging code is so that the code-base is smaller and issues like this are less likely to creep up as Resolve gets more features. They absolutely need to fix this issue.

However we opted into a program that puts us on builds of Windows that a statistically insignificant number of people are using and very few software developers get a chance to test their stuff with before it's release. It's a really entitled attitude to get mad at BMD because a version of Resolve doesn't work on a windows build that was released on the same day that it was or several days afterwards.

Sure, make BMD aware of the issue. That's a smart thing to do but you're already aware that this has to do with a particular build of Resolve not working on a particular build of Windows. One or both can be rolled back, and even though you'll lose the very small incremental changes each brings, it will also get things back to a working state for you. You're not being put in some helpless situation here.

Jerry Suppan

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 12:24 am

Thanks for that feedback, and your comments do make sense and I agree. I will review my situation and consider what to do. Either I can recede from the fast track to the slow track, or discontinue the Windows Insider Preview program all together. Being that DR though is the only program I have problems with to my knowledge, that will be a fairly big decision I will need to make.

Curiously, since you also participate in the Insider Preview program, which build does work for you with 16.2.3? I currently have build 20152 installed (latest) but still have access to restorable images of 20150 (DR also does not work), 19640 and 19631. Thanks.
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Mark Grgurev

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 12:56 am

Jerry Suppan wrote:Curiously, since you also participate in the Insider Preview program, which build does work for you with 16.2.3? I currently have build 20152 installed (latest) but still have access to restorable images of 20150 (DR also does not work), 19640 and 19631. Thanks.

I have it working with 19645.

Jerry Suppan

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 1:25 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:I have it working with 19645.

Thanks. I will try my 19640
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Jerry Suppan

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 pm

Jerry Suppan wrote:

In followup to my above comment on restoring to previous Windows Insider Build 19640, after restoration somehow Windows failed to load with some cryptic error message related to a memory address (it seems) so I am back to my build 20152 (which DR fails to load hanging at Fairlight.

Today (2020-07-01) Microsoft has made their latest build 20161.1000 available. I am downloading now and hoping that will resolve the DaVinci Resolve hang.

Fixes: "We’ve fixed an issue causing some games and applications to crash at launch or fail to install."
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... ild-20161/
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Tonzey

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 1:30 am

Hi

I can confirm latest windows build 20161 has resolved the issue (excuse the pun...)

MaxMann

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 2:26 am

Jerry Suppan wrote:
Jerry Suppan wrote:

In followup to my above comment on restoring to previous Windows Insider Build 19640, after restoration somehow Windows failed to load with some cryptic error message related to a memory address (it seems) so I am back to my build 20152 (which DR fails to load hanging at Fairlight.

Today (2020-07-01) Microsoft has made their latest build 20161.1000 available. I am downloading now and hoping that will resolve the DaVinci Resolve hang.

Fixes: "We’ve fixed an issue causing some games and applications to crash at launch or fail to install."
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... ild-20161/

Ok.......its working again with 20161

Jerry Suppan

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 8:04 am

Great news! Thanks for that follow-up. I also discovered that as well for double confirmation, except that, you beat me to the punch. :D But, thanks much for the followup. For the record, whoever reads this post, Windows Insider Build 20161 DOES work with DaVinci Resolve 16.2.3 with NO hanging at the Fairlight module on load.

So, having discovered that, said that, I strongly recommend to create a system image of the working environment, just in case this 'Fairlight' problem creeps up again going forward. At least you can fall back to this installation, with incrementals, if you do that sort of a backup. (I do.)
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Jerry Suppan

PostSat Jul 18, 2020 10:44 am

Curiously, has anybody installed the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview program Build 20170 and experience loading problema with DR 16.2.3 or 16.2.4?
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Mark Grgurev

PostSat Jul 18, 2020 5:19 pm

Jerry Suppan wrote:Curiously, has anybody installed the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview program Build 20170 and experience loading problema with DR 16.2.3 or 16.2.4?

Works fine.

aksister

PostSat Jul 18, 2020 7:24 pm

I have this same problem on my MacBook Pro using High Sierra 10.13.6. I've had to force quit Davinchi because it gets stuck loading firelight. The program is now un-useable and I could really use it today. Has anything been done about this?

MaxMann

PostSat Jul 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:
Jerry Suppan wrote:Curiously, has anybody installed the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview program Build 20170 and experience loading problema with DR 16.2.3 or 16.2.4?

Works fine.

Agreed. Works fine.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jul 19, 2020 4:42 am

aksister wrote:I have this same problem on my MacBook Pro using High Sierra 10.13.6. I've had to force quit Davinchi because it gets stuck loading firelight. The program is now un-useable and I could really use it today. Has anything been done about this?

Resolve v16, as per the readme, is not designed for High Sierra. We recommend Catalina if you are upgrading OS now as a new OS is close and we generally only support one version back.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

adrenalina

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
aksister wrote:I have this same problem on my MacBook Pro using High Sierra 10.13.6. I've had to force quit Davinchi because it gets stuck loading firelight. The program is now un-useable and I could really use it today. Has anything been done about this?

Resolve v16, as per the readme, is not designed for High Sierra. We recommend Catalina if you are upgrading OS now as a new OS is close and we generally only support one version back.

yes, but it was working just fine before the last update. I found out that after an update automatically performed on July 18th my DaVinci Resolve stopped working and started getting stuck at the "loading fairlight page". Now we are not able to fix this problem. As alternative: Is it possible for someone to link the download of version 15.3, the free version? I have downloaded several times those linked in the support page but all of them require the License Key.

lsumner4

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:08 pm

I'm having this same issue on my Windows 10 desktop. It gets stuck when loading fairlight page on startup.

I have tried:
Uninstalling and reinstalling fully. Including appdata folder.
Installing nvidia studio drivers
Ensuring Hyper-V was disabled

Here are my log and system info files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:49 pm

All Resolve versions, free and Studio, are on the BMD web site Support page for DaVinci Resolve and Fusion:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion

The ones labeled Studio, are the paid versions that require a license.

The ones that don't say Studio are the free versions.

So download the version you want that is not labeled Studio.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

morganvisconti

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 3:23 am

I had exactly the same thing happen. Mac Pro High Serra 10.13.6.

The latest version 16.2.4 is when the freezing at Loading Fairlight Page started happening to me. Couldn't find any other fixes that worked. Unplugged eGPU, disabled all OFX and even VST plugins. Trashed Resolve's preferences, uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing worked.

Luckily I was able to roll back a couple of versions (16.2.2.011) and it works now.

Using the Apple Store version FWIW.

adrenalina wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:

yes, but it was working just fine before the last update. I found out that after an update automatically performed on July 18th my DaVinci Resolve stopped working and started getting stuck at the "loading fairlight page". Now we are not able to fix this problem. As alternative: Is it possible for someone to link the download of version 15.3, the free version? I have downloaded several times those linked in the support page but all of them require the License Key.

MaxMann

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 3:41 am

lsumner4 wrote:I'm having this same issue on my Windows 10 desktop. It gets stuck when loading fairlight page on startup.

I have tried:
Uninstalling and reinstalling fully. Including appdata folder.
Installing nvidia studio drivers
Ensuring Hyper-V was disabled

Here are my log and system info files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

You are on insider preview build 20150. This build had a bug. Update to Windows Insider Preview build 20170 and your problem should be solved

Jerry Suppan

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 5:14 am

Yes, Windows 10 Insider Preview build 20150 was problematic. Both the 20161 and 20170 sequels work just fine without any problems. Thanks Max Manour for you initial insight intoi this problem.
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Neolux

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 8:24 am

morganvisconti wrote:I had exactly the same thing happen. Mac Pro High Serra 10.13.6.
(...)Using the Apple Store version FWIW.

Had exact the same issue using the Apple Store Version on High Sierra 10.13.6. After fiddling around with ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences and /Library/OFX, I downloaded the Davinci Resolve DMG from the BMD-Homepage, first used the uninstaller then installed it from the DMG. DaVinci Resolve started then again.

Seems the version in Apple Store is broken.

Xairoo

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 9:36 pm

Well, Resolve is special. 16.2.4 now freezes when I try to move a keyframe in the edit window.
Finally I uninstalled it. Installed 16.2.3. Doesn't start, fairlight page... Uninstalled, changed back to 16.2.4. Same.

The only thing I have updated the last days... Nvidia driver to 451.67. But really...
Now I'm trying since over 1 hour (don't count the hundreds of crashes before) to start resolve againi. It doesn't.

That's amazing...

Xairoo

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 2:36 pm

Suddenly Resolve stopped starting on Windows 1909. Only updated my Nvidia driver.
I need Docker.

So updated to Windows 20170, works. But sooo many crashes. Can't use it. Hypervisor bluescreen, watch clock bluescreen. Never had this before and happens only when using Resolve.

Downgraded to 1909 again and Resolve doesn't start again.

Why??? My lifetime is expansive and I payed for the Studio version.

wanderingme

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 6:01 pm

I'm on High Sierra (10.13.6), and I cannot update to Catalina as it'll brick other software (my version of Avid, for instance). Davinci Resolve Studio 16 was working fine yesterday, but for some reason today it crashes on "loading fairlight page". I've reinstalled and restarted and whatever else. Nothing works.

I purchased this through the App Store, so I do not have a license/activation key, so even if I wanted to download an older version of studio, It won't work. This is a little frustrating because I'm in the middle of a project with deadlines. Any support here would be greatly appreciated.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm

If you've reinstalled, does that mean you are using the current 16.2.4 App Store version?

Are you using Studio or the free App Store version?
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 pm

I notice you mention you purchased it, so I'll assume you are currently attempting to run the Studio App Store version. (This is important because the free and Studio version files are in different locations).

We need the Resolve logs and Preferences information. This is challenging to get on the App Store version, due to its sandboxed nature. And we have no CaptureLogs utility available, as we have on every other platform.

So you'll need to do some manual work in Finder to get this data.

logs: /Users/xxxx/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore/Data/Library/Application Support/logs

Preferences: /Users/xxxx/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore/Data/Library/Preferences

In both the above, xxxx is the Mac user name that the user is logged in as.

Go to the logs and Preferences folders as noted above. Zip the logs and Preferences folders and send us the zip files.
Dwaine Maggart

G0bble

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 4:40 pm

I am now seeing the dreaded stuck on Farlight page issue but my problem has a different history posted here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=118827

Now ideally I want to move my Resolve DB outside of the AppData to a common folder accessible to any user of the PC. But I need to be able to launch Resolve first.

I need two answers :
1. Somebody review the logs attached and tell me what is breaking now
2. Somebody provide me generic Windows 10 expertise and tips on how to edit my %APPDATA% reference to point back to my C drive and reply on my other thread. I googled for half an hour and tried a few registry editing and admin stuff but nothing seems to help. The APPDATA variables in both registry and Control Panel use %USERPROFILE% which points to the C drive but still my AppData points to E drive.

Edit: I think I messed up the AppData for all users ... None of them can launch Resolve now while I was able to - just hours back when the drive was unplugged.

Thanks
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-_215030.zip
(137.52 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

gtempleman

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:25 pm

G0bble wrote:
Now ideally I want to move my Resolve DB outside of the AppData to a common folder accessible to any user of the PC. But I need to be able to launch Resolve first.

Thanks

Just make a copy (or two) stored somewhere else. You don’t need to launch Resolve to do that. You can deal with the database once you get it launching again.
Microsoft Windows 11 Home x64
Version 23H2 build 22631.3155
Lenovo Legion Y545
32GB RAM
GTX 1660Ti
Driver version 551.23
Resolve (Studio) 18.6.5 build 7

Jerry Suppan

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 10:12 pm

Any problems with Davinci Resolve Load-hanging on Fairlight page after installation of Windows 10 Insider Build 20180?
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

MaxMann

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 10:20 pm

Jerry Suppan wrote:Any problems with Davinci Resolve Load-hanging on Fairlight page after installation of Windows 10 Insider Build 20180?

No issues here!

Jerry Suppan

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 12:26 am

MaxMann wrote:
Jerry Suppan wrote:Any problems with Davinci Resolve Load-hanging on Fairlight page after installation of Windows 10 Insider Build 20180?

No issues here!

MaxMann, thanks for the confirmation. I sort of thought you might have been the one to chime in. ;)
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

MaxMann

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 am

Jerry Suppan wrote:
MaxMann wrote:

No issues here!

MaxMann, thanks for the confirmation. I sort of thought you might have been the one to chime in. ;)

Cheers Jerry

G0bble

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 10:28 am

gtempleman wrote:
G0bble wrote:

Thanks

Just make a copy (or two) stored somewhere else. You don’t need to launch Resolve to do that. You can deal with the database once you get it launching again.

Ok, so rather than deal with the arcane path issues with AppData - I fixed it with a 3rd party windows app cleaner and uninstaller and a clean reinstall. Plan to copy the DB now.
Interestingly I was not prompted to re-enter the License key for Studio even with a fresh clean install.
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

arnostkvasinka

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:03 am

Hey,

I am on Windows 10 19041.388 and I am seeing exactly the same message (Loading Fairlight Page) hanging during start up. Here's the debug log.

I am not quite sure what could be happening, I went through some of the log files, and none seems to be looping over some action or another. I tried starting Resolve, having Windows Defender Firewall turned off, but to no avail.

What could this really be related to? I am not on any insider builds. To put even more light on this, The only way I seem to be able to get Resolve to work is to reboot and make it the first app I start after booting up the PC. (Might be that the procedure just lowers the probability of the error popping up, but seems to be somewhat consistent). I have taught myself not to turn it off as I do other work :).

(I've seen people on the forum mention HyperV could be related (of all things) -- I am using HyperV on the same machine. But I was using it before, when the restart would help.). Related to Hyper-V, it (Resolve) seems to be able to start up even when HyperV is enabled and its services started (no running VMs, though), and Resolve is the very first app I start. I can then close and open up resolve even whem VMs are already running.

https://inventix-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/ ... Q?e=LP5ciJ

Here's the accompanying System Infiromation NFO file: https://inventix-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/ ... w?e=QCB5G4

Could there be some kind of background service that Resolve starts up and keeps running (that can be only started before any HyperV VM gets started), and it remains started, even when Resolve shuts down, therefore allowing me to open it and again?
Last edited by arnostkvasinka on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Certainly, if you haven't already tried, turn off Hyper-V to see if that affects the issue or not. Things might have changed since Resolve last did work with Hyper-V enabled.

And if that doesn't help, we also need a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open System Information and do a File - Save to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

MaxMann

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 11:17 am

Resolve 16.2.5 and Windows build 20185 working with no issues. Just FYI.

arnostkvasinka

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Thanks for the responses. I updated my original post with the NFO file and some more information. Seems that when I turn on Resolve as the very first action I do (after a cold boot of Windows), it is capable of starting up just fine, and even close/open again (no matter what I do with the PC then). But if I do not follow this procedure, and try to start Resolve later on, it will hang on the "Loading Fairlight Page" screen indefinitely...

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Stop the Nahimic service and see if that solves the issue.

Nahimic usually causes Resolve issues.

Do you have multiple displays connected to your system?

You also still seem to be using Hyper-V, which is also known to cause issues with Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart

smaikap

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 9:28 am

I had the same issue. Tried all the methods as mentioned in forum but seems to be not working for me. Got it fixed though - out of luck and chance. Not sure whether my fix will work for others.

I am guessing, Resolve has some dependency on Python.
Removing "PythonHome" variable from the "Path" System Environment resolved the issue for me. Earlier it was pointing to "Python 3.8"

wanderingme

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 5:31 pm

@Dwaine Maggart, sorry for the late reply. I've been working with customer support. They said they don't have a solution yet. That was a while ago unfortunately. I did send them all the logs they requested. Yes, I am using Studio.

I am on the latest version 16.2.5. Both 16.2.5 and 16.2.4 do not work on High Sierra. I wish I could rollback to 16.2.3, but I purchased on the App Store and there's no way to do that. I hope Blackmagic can get this resolved (no pun intended) as soon as possible, as it's been two weeks without a working copy. Or at least give us the option to rollback somehow?? If there's anything more I can do, let me know. I'm happy to assist, but I don't know what else I can do. Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Can you provide the logs here, or PM them to me? You collected the logs using the method I posted to you originally earlier in this thread?
Dwaine Maggart

franckreporter

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 10:22 am

Got the same issue with Mac Os High Sierra and the latest update of DA VInci 16...please update the version on the mac store in order to let us work!!!

arnostkvasinka

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 10:53 am

Hey, Dwayne,

I'd rather remember to start Resolve when I boot my PC, before I do anything else, rather than have to completely disable HyperV every time I do so (that requires a reboot, so there's no difference to me).

Having said that. Seems that you have some pointers that HyperV might be related, Python might be related. I mean ... come on. I am a web developer using containers, and I also record games as I play them and upload to youtube. You don't seriously expect me to work around this by restarting my PC like a maniac, because I want to use one or the other :D

I am happy to provide more logs, details, get on a live debug session with anyone from your team, when I next see this, to get this actually Resolve(d), rather than worked around. Happy to help.

Cheers

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 5:57 pm

The dev team is aware of the issue.

If it can be made better, I assume they will work on that.
Dwaine Maggart

Bucklebery

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:09 pm

@Dwaine Maggart - are you aware that if we unplug the network cable while we start Resolve until it successfully launches? - That seems to work - then reconnect to the network.
Cheers
Ian

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:24 pm

@Ian: Is that related to Petr's comment about HyperV? Or one of the many other items in this long thread?

Or none of the other items in this thread helped, but unplugging the network makes your system work?

If the latter, what are your system details?

Edit: Never mind. Just saw your separate post.
Dwaine Maggart

MaxMann

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 10:10 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Ian: Is that related to Petr's comment about HyperV? Or one of the many other items in this long thread?

Or none of the other items in this thread helped, but unplugging the network makes your system work?

If the latter, what are your system details?

Edit: Never mind. Just saw your separate post.

What was that separate post? I am curious.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 11:40 pm

Dwaine Maggart

MaxMann

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119599

Got it. Thank you @Dwaine.

Bucklebery

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm

So just to confirm:
Have other folks found "unplugging the network cable" until Resolve is fully launched solves the issue or is this just an aberration?

If it is workaround; i.e. the engineers have reproduced the issue and removal of cable is a fix...
I'd be interested in what the root cause is and if there is a solution on the horizon.

Kind Regards

Cheers
Ian

G0bble

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 4:58 pm

Bucklebery wrote:So just to confirm:
Have other folks found "unplugging the network cable" until Resolve is fully launched solves the issue or is this just an aberration?

If it is workaround; i.e. the engineers have reproduced the issue and removal of cable is a fix...
I'd be interested in what the root cause is and if there is a solution on the horizon.

Kind Regards

Cheers
Ian

Unplugging a network cable might be impacting the automatic loading of public/private firewall rules hence it may be working when no network is created. Just a thought.
DVR Studio
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve