Intensity and DaVinci

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Markeyse

Intensity and DaVinci

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 8:49 am

Hi guys. I Just downloaded the DaVinci software to test it. I am looking to upgrade some stuff, and looking at the Intensity. I was wondering if I do buy it, does it come with the full DaVinci Resolve? Is there anything else it comes with? Thank you for your help!

Eric-Jan

Re: Intensity and DaVinci

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 5:03 pm

The intensity Does not come with the Studio version, Davinci Resolve is a free download, the Studio version comes only with BMD camera's or other high end equipment, or as a one time buy of $300 (check the BMD website)
Most functions are included in the free version, and can easily replace the Adobe Premiere or FCP software.
Depending what you want to capture, only the Intensity Shuttle has a Progressive mode for capturing over component video (YUV) RCA.
It depends what you want to capture, which harware you use, MacBook Pro or windows based hardware,
for the MacBook Pro's from 2012 - 2015 (which have Thunderbolt 2 there's also the Thunderbolt 2 version of the Intensity Shuttle, otherwise use USB 3, Thunderbolt 2 is a faster interface then USB 3.

You cannot directly interface from Davinci Resolve to the Intensity, you need Media Express to capture with the Intensity.
Media Express is included with the Desktop Video Setup software that can be downloaded from the Support section of Blackmagic Design.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Markeyse

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:The intensity Does not come with the Studio version, Davinci Resolve is a free download, the Studio version comes only with BMD camera's or other high end equipment, or as a one time buy of $300 (check the BMD website)
Most functions are included in the free version, and can easily replace the Adobe Premiere or FCP software.
Depending what you want to capture, only the Intensity Shuttle has a Progressive mode for capturing over component video (YUV) RCA.
It depends what you want to capture, which harware you use, MacBook Pro or windows based hardware,
for the MacBook Pro's from 2012 - 2015 (which have Thunderbolt 2 there's also the Thunderbolt 2 version of the Intensity Shuttle, otherwise use USB 3, Thunderbolt 2 is a faster interface then USB 3.

You cannot directly interface from Davinci Resolve to the Intensity, you need Media Express to capture with the Intensity.
Media Express is included with the Desktop Video Setup software that can be downloaded from the Support section of Blackmagic Design.

Thank you for responding! I appreciate it.

I'm doing Videos and live streaming on YouTube. I'm using Xsplit for my live streaming, but I'm looking at some new software for when I'm just doing some normal video editing. I can capture with XSplit to I believe so the Intensity would would well with that too right? I'm going to buy when I get the money an Mirrorless camera to use for capturing and need something to interface with, and I think I would rather go this route instead of an USB adapter. I got the PCIe slots available and my computer is racked. I'll also check out that Media Express.

I have a custom build Windows System so I don't have to worry about anything Apple Related. And I'm coming from Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13, which is long in the tooth now. Been testing Davinci for a couple of days and I'm liking it!

Question, how do I put my video on a second screen? Or do I have to buy Studio to make it all work? Thanks again!

Markeyse

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Also, how do I put the video on one screen and the timeline on another? I see video on the Video Cut, but It isn't available in my menu.

Christopher Osborn

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Workspace > Dual Screen (and then adjust your layout as you wish)

I have an Intensity Pro 4K card in my system. I mostly use it to play to a SD client display, and to have an AES audio out option.

You most certainly can capture directly from the Intensity directly into DaVinci Resolve. I don't do a lot of capture anymore, but I have in the past used it to capture some analog HD footage from a HDCAM system.
It's pretty straightforward: Media > Capture and then you have all the basic options for tape control, logging and recording.
MacMini 2018 Mojave (i7 8700B, 64GB, RX580 - Mantiz Saturn II eGPU)
MacMini 2020 Monterey (M1 16GB)
Windows 10 (i7 6950X, 128GB, RTX 3080ti)
Intensity Pro 4K / Desktop Video 12.3
An Avid editor hoping for a better way...

Markeyse

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Christopher Osborn wrote:Workspace > Dual Screen (and then adjust your layout as you wish)

I have an Intensity Pro 4K card in my system. I mostly use it to play to a SD client display, and to have an AES audio out option.

You most certainly can capture directly from the Intensity directly into DaVinci Resolve. I don't do a lot of capture anymore, but I have in the past used it to capture some analog HD footage from a HDCAM system.
It's pretty straightforward: Media > Capture and then you have all the basic options for tape control, logging and recording.

I found it thank you. I wonder if you can do a full screen on a separate monitor as well. Thinking about getting a Third monitor one day. Do you need the Intensity Pro 4K for that?

Eric-Jan

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 11:30 am

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 13.29.04.png
Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 13.29.04.png (758.78 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Maybe a HDMI splitter would be a better idea ? one input and multiple outputs ? this would also not be software depended, and will not have any cpu load.

Btw. don't forget the Intensity Shuttle has the same amount of video outputs :)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Markeyse

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 5:07 am

Eric-Jan wrote:
Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 13.29.04.png
Maybe a HDMI splitter would be a better idea ? one input and multiple outputs ? this would also not be software depended, and will not have any cpu load.

Btw. don't forget the Intensity Shuttle has the same amount of video outputs :)

If I get a monitor in a studio for VO, I'll definitely get the splitter.

I am planning to get the Intensity too, though I may get the card since I have a rackmounted PC, and will rebuild it by years end. Thank you for your help!

Eric-Jan

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 7:32 am

The Intensity series are mostly used for analog capture > composite, s-video, component video.
and 1 HDMI for digital stream/capture.
Maybe another product will give you more options you need.

Christopher Osborn

PostSun Jul 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Markeyse wrote:I found it thank you. I wonder if you can do a full screen on a separate monitor as well. Thinking about getting a Third monitor one day. Do you need the Intensity Pro 4K for that?

A long time ago (v.8?) of the Desktop Video software you could use the Intensity as a computer display. That feature was removed. (Although I guess you could download the old software and run it, you would just lose most of the new CODECs and maybe Win10/Sierra and later compatibility.) Any application that has the ability to send out signal to a broadcast video receiver (Media Composer, DaVinci, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, etc.) Yes that will work as a third 'Client Display.' But for a third computer display it isn't feasible.

Just to be sure there isn't any wrong info: my Intensity card has TWO HDMI ports on it a dedicated IN and a dedicated OUT. This may have been clear - I was just thrown off by Eric-Jan's "1 HDMI for stream/capture."
MacMini 2018 Mojave (i7 8700B, 64GB, RX580 - Mantiz Saturn II eGPU)
MacMini 2020 Monterey (M1 16GB)
Windows 10 (i7 6950X, 128GB, RTX 3080ti)
Intensity Pro 4K / Desktop Video 12.3
An Avid editor hoping for a better way...

Return to DaVinci Resolve