Resolve 16 Fails to Render. Please help :(

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

wojci028

Resolve 16 Fails to Render. Please help :(

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,
I started working with Resolve 16 over the past couple weeks. I'm new to video editing, but I really like the program so far! However, for the past several days I've been pulling my hair out over a persistent issue. I'm at my wit's end.

The Problems: My videos often show a "Media Offline" image for a frame or so. My videos will not render.
1. The media offline message seems to happen randomly, as far as I can tell. Sometimes the clips will show this when I play them back in the editor, and then when I go back and check frame by frame, the message will disappear. Other times, the message will persist in the same spot for a session, but will go away later in the day, perhaps after an app restart. The message seems to happen show more often during fusion composition clips. However, I can get around these in the playback by cutting the fusion comps into small parts of a few seconds each.

2. When I try to render a video, I often get the error message: "Render Job X failed as the current clip could not be processed. The clip XXXXXXX.mov could not be decoded correctly. Please check if the clip is still available on the drive." The clip is definitely still on the drive, and as far as I can tell, it plays just fine. This happens with many clips that I've tried.

What I've Tried:
1. I disabled the user preference to stop the render upon encountering an error, but this just produces a final render with frames of the "Media Offline" image from problem 1. This leads me to believe that these issues are related.
2. I updated my chipset and gpu drivers as of today.
3. I disabled (to the best of my ability) the boost clock/OC features for my cpu.
4. I restricted the quality of my render to 10k
5. I tried rendering at different speeds, from max down to 5fps. All produced the same errors, but sometimes the video would get further in the render before failing with different speeds.

This is the debug stuff I got from running the batch file in the app directory. I also included a txt with a summary of my msinfo32 output:
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200710_134720.zip
This is the debug stuff I got from running the batch file in the app directory. I also included a txt with a summary of my msinfo32 output.
(100.14 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Please, for the love of all that is holy, help me solve this issue(s). I just can't wrap my head around it. Thanks

Edit: I should perhaps note that the file I'm rendering is about 15 minutes long. I have successfully rendered clips of around 10 seconds, but sometimes I have errors with those too.
Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700XT, PSU: Corsair AX860i, RAM: Crucial DDR4 32gb, OS: Win10
DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Mics: Aston Stealth, AT2020, SM58

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 16 Fails to Render. Please help :(

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 5:12 am

Is this on 16.2.3?
can you post a link to your NFO file too?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

wojci028

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 3:34 pm

Thank you so much for your help! The file is too big to upload to the forum directly, so here's a google drive link to my msinfo32 NFO. I hope this is the file you wanted. I am a little worried about posting the entire NFO so I'll probably take it down as soon as this problem is fixed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J6qzAA ... sp=sharing
Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700XT, PSU: Corsair AX860i, RAM: Crucial DDR4 32gb, OS: Win10

wojci028

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Sorry, I forgot to say in my other post: My resolve version is 16.2.3.015

wojci028

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 3:20 pm

In case anyone from the future reads this, you should know that I spoke with support and we were unable to fix the issue in fusion. They said it was a bug and that it would be fixed in a future update. HOWEVER, they did point out to me that there was a MUCH easier way to color correct than I thought. You can do this from the edit page inspector without having to make a fusion clip at all. This workaround completely fixed my problems. Good luck!

Return to DaVinci Resolve