DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

• Author

LavaMan Iyra

DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 10:46 pm

Would LOVE to see support for Debian on Linux via .deb packages, or even better, through a universal .appimage. The the former would greatly simplify installation process for Linux users and the latter would include the former and additionally enable Linux users to run the app without actually having to install it making things much easier and much more efficient than ever!
The anticipated result of implementing one or both of these feature requests would be: Increased user base which ultimately translates into INCREASED revenue for Blackmagic.

Example: As a beginner level Linux user who is actively working on my first full length video production, the lack of the above feature(s) has effectively prevented me from trying out the DaVinci software, (of which after many days of video editor research and comparison) have concluded would work best for me.

PLEASE include these feature(s) in future release. I (and I suspect a lot of others) REALLY want to use your awesome software!

groslaine

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 am

The ability to work from a drp files and "auto saving" on this files.
When using multiple computer and hard drive and multiple user it is really good to have a project on a files, located on a external hard drive without having to import it and re-export it at the end, without to forget to delete the copy on the project manager. (something like in premiere or other software).
If a new system like that can be added to the actual one it will be great for every uses.
We are trying to work with davinci resolve on a school with a lot a student and a lot of computer and it's complicated with the actual system. (if you add the server and multi session user for each student it's a big mess), a simple file for a project will be much simplier.

(And a linux compatibility is a necessity, not only for centOS but for other popular distributions)

mwalker1000

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 7:18 am

I realize Resolve needs to expand its capability to catch up with the Jones', but there are many features in Resolve right now that exist, but are in need of some TLC, like multicam, the node editor, and Fusion integration. It would be great if 17 was a "fattening up of current features" so it can catch up to itself, and then plow ahead with innovation once again. (IMHO)

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 6:37 pm

groslaine wrote:The ability to work from a drp files and "auto saving" on this files.

There is no longer a catch-all thread for new feature requests. This thread is poorly named. Every new feature should get it's own thread, so discussion on that one feature can take place.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Zapper478

PostSun May 03, 2020 7:13 pm

If you can:

1- Add an extra "masking" tab in the edit page, available for videos, screenshots, texts, etc.
2- Add "Clipping mask" and "Magnify" effects in the edit page
3- Add a motion blur button in the "Transform" tab in edit page (like in fusion's transform node)

Zapper478

PostThu May 07, 2020 12:19 am

I have got another suggestion about an adjustment required, missing specifically in the "transform - position" property in the edit page:

- Please adjust the "smooth - position motion", not the motion path line, but the motion of the media itself.

- If you try it, activating the transform button at the left bottom corner of the preview panel, you will notice that it's motion doesn't start really smoothly as it's supposed to be.

And you can even simplify it even more and add this "smooth - position motion" to the transform properties list, so you don't have to activate the transform button each time you try to achieve it.

- I really hope you fix it as it's very essential to everyone, cause motion graphics really suck at the edit page, while the other "Transform node" at the fusion page does greater job.

Another features suggestions:
1- Add "animation loop" options (like in fusion).
2- For the "Scrolling text", add a "start" and "end" properties for indicating when is the "credits text" moving or stopping at a specific point.

Zapper478

PostSun May 10, 2020 2:12 am

I got an idea that may make the "Crop" effect much cooler touch:

You can add an "Angle" (or Rotation) property for the four sides of the video

Of course, this extension (in my opinion) can make the "Crop"property way more efficient for making transitions between videos, or creating unique effects.

Another adjustment:

Try to adjust the "Anchor point" positioning property. Make sure it moves the main video alone, while not moving with it.

Zapper478

PostSun May 10, 2020 10:19 pm

I have three little features that I am heading to see them in davinci resolve 17, which are:

1- A "Hold" keyframe (in all davinci resolve tabs).
2- replace the curve editor in the "Edit" tab with an extra "Spline" window (like in fusion).
3- customizable value for the video effects in the "Openfx" library in the "Edit" tab (without the need of duplicating the same effects).

Maybe some features may seem abandoned or forgotten for good reason, but sometimes you may be in a serious need for them to exist, besides, most of those are very essential sometimes.

P.S: I don't want anyone to take it hard on me if anyone realize that I pay more attention for the "Edit" tab adjustments and extensions more than I do with any other tab, because it really should be taken care of well, even a bit, as it represent a the origin tool for editing and compositing. Thank you all a lot for your appreciation.

VINOVINKKELI

PostWed May 13, 2020 9:51 am

Zapper478 wrote:I have three little features that I am heading to see them in davinci resolve 17, which are:

2- replace the curve editor in the "Edit" tab with an extra "Spline" window (like in fusion).

This is something that Resolve really needs to fix up. The curve editor in Edit tab. It is sluggish, everything is just too small and hard to adjust. I've been trying (and fighting) to grab the keyframes and eased keyframe handles so many times. Mostly those just don't move at all and everytime I have to wait second or two after touching to see if they do something or not. Unusable.

One example:
CTRL + click to control individual easing handles. You have to keep it (CTRL) pressed before grabbing the handle to adjust just one handle. You can't do it on the "fly" (like spline editor does in the Fusion page).

After switching to Resolve in 2018 my edits have had just linear keyframes and that is something I don't like at all. Just too time consuming and stressful to control those easings, positions and handles. I totally see this as one of the reasons for many editors to stay away from Resolve. An option is to go Fusion page and do all the keyframing there, but that shouldn't be the case for just some scale, position and rotate adjustments. Also it makes my projects much more vulnerable to crashes and time consuming as the timeline needs to render all the Fusion adjustments.

I really hope this gets better soon. I know it's been asked for quite some time by the users.
Intel Skylake i7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 4GB, Win 10 Pro, System disk: Samsung NVMe M.2 960 EVO 250GB, Workdisk#1(MATERIAL): Samsung EVO850 1TB, Workdisk#2(CACHE): Samsung EVO850 500GB, DaVinci Resolve 15.2.3, Dell 34" Ultrasharp

Tersites75

PostWed May 13, 2020 11:50 am

Edit tab and Fusion tab:

On audio tracks, it would be nice to have the option of checking the value of an audio keyframe when hovering over it with the mouse / when selecting it with the mouse. As of now, I have to change the value of the keyframe to see its value (Edit Tab), in Fusion tab, there's no value displayed at all for keyframes.
Specs:
Win 10 Pro x64
Resolve Studio 18.0.4 Build 5
ADM Ryzen 9 3900X
64 GB RAM
RTX 3090 / studio driver V.522.30

Zapper478

PostWed May 13, 2020 10:04 pm

These are for Countdown-timers or ascending timers, editable in the "Edit" tab or "Fusion" tab specifically:

1- Wipe effect (acts like crop, but with "angle" option"
2- Radial wipe effect (especially for clockwise, styled timers)

Zapper478

PostFri May 15, 2020 4:52 pm

It would be even better if you add a quick button in the "Edit" tab to export "Screenshots" of a clip rather than getting into the "Color" tab to grab stills.

For "Fusion", add:

1- A specific "content removal" node, instead of the basic paint wire removal, and make this new node have "indicators" able to dedicate certain color in the clip to remove items and replace it in a clever way, without the need of tracking or anything else familiar.
2- Audio reacting node (without the need of any plugins).

Zapper478

PostFri May 15, 2020 10:34 pm

For fusion "Masking tools", If you can upgrade the masking tools, from rectangular to polymasking tool, to make their vertices able to customizable, like moving certain vertices, or even transform or create custom masks' animations, instead of moving widths or heights alone with no complete shape control.
(If that option can be accomplished in different tabs, like the color tab's masking tool).

RhysVee

PostFri May 29, 2020 11:22 am

OPTIMISED MEDIA
1. My optimised files often drop out. Sometimes its when I move footage between drives, other times is without reason. Can you make Resolve auto-rediscover optimised media by always looking in the cache on start-up? Or alternatively, add the rediscover Optimised media to Folder options, so that i do not need to click through a dozen separate folders to highlight the footage and then rediscover.

2. Make it possible to edit using only the optimised media. Like a proxy workflow. This would dramatically increase the life of my hard drives and potentially even make online collaborating easier if my editor could just download the optimised media rather than the raw files.

I should also add that I love Resolve. and these features which Premiere have had for a while would be a nail in the Adobe coffin for me.

Heikki Repo

PostSat May 30, 2020 9:30 pm

LavaMan Iyra wrote:Would LOVE to see support for Debian on Linux via .deb packages, or even better, through a universal .appimage.

I'd love to see this feature as well. It should be relatively easy to implement and would turn in new customers as well. 8-)

Cyril Perrot-Botella

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 6:11 pm

IN COLOR

- move Stabiliser classic in the same menu like windows, stabilizer and FX
- Stabiliser on node and not on clip for more controls (multi stab)
- In preference user, possibility to choose stabiliser for default
- Possibility to add matte on compound node
- In Key/external matte, add invert matte and distortion
- Possibility to wipe in cinema viewer
- Image wipe with rotate, like fusion
- live preview desable by default
- Save Smart filters with the layout Presets
- Shortcut for navigate in pre goup, clip, post group and timeline
- shortcut for add in to new group, add in to current group and remove from group
- add into a new group with same pre and post group grade
- Export prores for PC
- Support for Prores RAW
- Boost contrast
- Openfx for Rolling shutter
- Big flotting windows for curves custom for more precision like old version of Davinci
- In cuves custom, editable spline just for the node selected, not for all the project
- Possibility to move up and down powergrade album in gallery
- Possibility to move up and down the groups in the list on the left
- Drag and drop the clip in the group on the left
- Possibility to change the name and delete group, directly in the list on the left, like powergrade album
- Add export 1D lut
- In Vectorscope add blue sky
- On the bottom of the viewer add chanel Red, Green, Blue, Black and White, and alpha
- Possibility to cancel grab all stills and grab missing stills
- Possibility to change parameter in camera raw, in mode clip, for all clips selected in the same time
- In Display node graph clean node graph
- Grab still (Master) with all, pregroup, clip, postgroup and timeline
- Save and name selection of multiple clips selected, for used with ripple node changes to selected clip and append node to selected clips
and it's like use multi group in group

- Beziers and curves on keyframe timeline
- Right clic on the node and active or desactive keyframe
- when I scroll in keyframe don't move Master, always in the top
- In timeline keyframes the same name for the corrector like the node (and the number)
- in timeline keyframes, navigation like tracker windows, keyframe by keyframe
- On the slider, on the bottom of the viewer, display keyframes for the node selected,
like the marker on the slider on the bottom of the viewer in edit, and color for keyframe actived or not actived.
- Active and desactive keyframes for all attributes, like inspector in Edit

- In color tracer choose timeline directly in color tracer

-------And please when i work with group and i clic on timeline, why there is this message ?-------

SWITCHING TO TIMELINE MODE IS DISABLED
Please disable ''timeline filter'' and ''show clip with handles'' to be
able to switch to timeline mode.
This message is useless.

If I click on timeline is that I want to go in timeline, so why not switch automatically ?????

IN EDIT

- Possibility to move the fonts for titles in inspector with the mouse scroll !

THX
Cyril Perrot-Botella C.S.I
www.cyclopephotographie.com
Ryzen threadripper 3970X 4.3GHz
Liquid Cooler EVGA CLC 360 with 3 Noctua
Gigabyte Designare TRX40
Corsair vengeance LPX-254GB-DDR4-3200MHz
ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3090 Ti 24GB
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 6:28 pm

Cyril, post those as single threads, so everybody can comment.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

ricardo marty

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 6:38 pm

On the media page, I would like a storyboard assembly interface something similar to the sony prepare app from the catalyst. This would be great especially for events, promo, sports but could also be used to view or try alternative sequences. This is a fast and effective way of building and manipulating a timeline. then it could be opened in any of the resolve pages.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

waltervolpatto

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 6:59 pm

ricardo marty wrote:On the media page, I would like a storyboard assembly interface something similar to the sony prepare app from the catalyst. This would be great especially for events, promo, sports but could also be used to view or try alternative sequences. This is a fast and effective way of building and manipulating a timeline. then it could be opened in any of the resolve pages.

Ricardo Marty

Does the cut page work for you in that workflow example?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

ricardo marty

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 7:19 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:On the media page, I would like a storyboard assembly interface something similar to the sony prepare app from the catalyst. This would be great especially for events, promo, sports but could also be used to view or try alternative sequences. This is a fast and effective way of building and manipulating a timeline. then it could be opened in any of the resolve pages.

Ricardo Marty

Does the cut page work for you in that workflow example?

It could be a lot faster to assemble the timeline in storyboard then go through the cut page to serch for the b roll especially if I got a lot of it.

Ricardo Marty
Last edited by ricardo marty on Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

jamedia

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 7:21 pm

One thing that would be very useful is to be able assignupload targets (ie different Vimeo, YouTube etc) on a per job basis. Many of us load to multiple YouTube/Vimeo accounts for ourselves and clients. In FCPX I have about a dozen different accounts set up.

Many in the corporate world need to upload 6 or 8 45 minute conference presentations "over night" as a batch job. Speed is of the essence. You don't have the luxury of days let alone weeks in post.

Before anyone rants about that request. BMD is chasing the YouTube demographic with the ATEM Mini and ATEM Mini Pro. The YouTube/Vimeo demographic is a larger market than the Hollywood market.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Jamie Dickinson

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 1:33 pm

"Create New Timeline from selected Clips"... It would be great to have the option for it to take the name from the first clip for instance along with frame rate and resolution.

jamedia

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 2:22 pm

In Fairlight the ability to load multiple separate "standard" sound libraries that stay separate.IE more than just Fairlight library and 1 local database. So I can have a choice between 1 Fairlight, 1 Std music, 3 STD sfx, 3 project. I don't want them merged into one.

Also the ability to "rescan" any database so any additions can be added without having to delete and re-instal and probably loose links.

Also for all clips to be visible with out having to enter *** . That is so counter intuitive.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

jamedia

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 2:25 pm

I want to be able to create and save fusion templates so they become part of the standard set of fusion templates for all projects. The problem is at the moment you have to save them and restart Resolve. That is clunky. I should be able to save them and the list automatically update or be able to "refresh" the list without leaving resolve.
www.JAmedia.uk

Fabien Remblier

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Would it be possible to add a way to have stereoscopic view (anaglyph and sidebyside) in the edit page in a future version of DVR ?
It would also be nice to have the possibility of using a scene. cut detection when a 3D clip is created.
Thanks

Agent83

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 10:53 am

Fabien Remblier wrote:Would it be possible to add a way to have stereoscopic view (anaglyph and sidebyside) in the edit page in a future version of DVR ?

There are a lot of addons on the market that have this feature.
8-12k VR production.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Formula, I9 12900K, DDR5 64GB/5200,
2xNVIDIA P6000 24GB, 84 TB Workspace

Agent83

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:00 am

For DaVinci 17, I want fewer program crashes and better performance. No new features, just more stability and secure functionality. For example, if I want to cut an 8k video with the current version, I can't watch a result of my current work in the edit page. When I start playback, the cursor jumps to some frame after an undefined wait and runs over the rest of the video in different jumps. You cannot control the edit with the current version. In DaVinci 17 it would be very nice if you could edit and control your video professionally. I would be pleased about that.
8-12k VR production.

jamedia

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 1:40 pm

Agent83 wrote:For DaVinci 17, I want fewer program crashes and better performance. No new features, just more stability and secure functionality..

+1
There are oo many posts about crashes and problems in the forums.
No major new features but better implementation of the ones that are there.

To be honest how many users need 12K support? But there are many small things (for example how multiple sound libraries are handled, & how you can add fusion templates with out a reboot and the ability to upload to multiple YT and Vimeo accounts) that can be addressed by small improvement to things that are already there.

I think BMD is caught in a paradim shift. Resolve has traditionally come from a Big Film background were there are "dailies" to a much bigger market that uses "clips" and has no idea what a dalies or rushes are. This new and much larger market works differently.
www.JAmedia.uk

Agent83

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 7:48 pm

jamedia wrote:
Agent83 wrote:For DaVinci 17, I want fewer program crashes and better performance. No new features, just more stability and secure functionality..

+1 ....
To be honest how many users need 12K support? ...

Right.
A 12k support is not my focus.

But the stability and better integration of existing functions. Example: With the current version 16.2.x you can't render a real 8k. With version 16.0.x I can realize this without any problems. The same applies to many other things in this software. I hide the current versions because they are worse than the current version. That would be very desirable if this were to change or even turn around. In any case, I hope for this positive development. I love DaVinci Resolve Studio because the GUI is really good (the level below the GUI really has design issues, including problems with the synchronization of its internal threads and the distribution of resources. At this point, developers should use all their power). The documentation is also uniquely good. So it's worth supporting the product and displaying bugs so developers can fix those bugs.
8-12k VR production.

jd_becker

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 pm

Id love to see thw following:

- draging and droping plugins in the Fairlight mixer to adjust their order
- more plugins per channel
- hiding tacks in the Fairlight mixer
- usable, track based automation in Fairlight
- easy to use looping function
- dirct keyboard input for values on all audio tools like eq, comp, etc.
- being able to delete all embedded audio tracks with one click in the Clip Attributes window. Hyperdeck footage comes with 16 embedded tracks and you have to click and delete them all one at a time.
- ability to mute, solo, and choose between mono and stereo on embedded audio tracks on the media page
- a quick way to export jpeg or png stills from the edit page
- importing markers from vimeo review page csv files
- keyboard shotcuts that make sense on non us-qwerty keyboards. Jumping between keyframes or zooming in and out on the timeline for example dont really work out in my case (german qwertz).

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 2:31 am

Kay,

For issues with stability, please refer to the FAQs for what information we need to follow up. At the least we need a clear understanding of your issue and workflow, a complete listing of hardware, peripherals, OS and driver setup, and a link to a diagnostic log archive captured after a crash.

Using and exporting projects in 8K will invariably depend on getting multiple workflow factors right - GPU processing power, GPU memory, disk throttling, codecs used etc - as well as an understanding of overheads for each effect applied.

Providing this information in context of a bug will help us determine if there are hardware bottlenecks, OS related changes, driver issues, or limitations in our software.

Regards
Shrinivas

Fabien Remblier

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 am

Agent83 wrote:
Fabien Remblier wrote:Would it be possible to add a way to have stereoscopic view (anaglyph and sidebyside) in the edit page in a future version of DVR ?

This would be so much easier with native tools.
In fact there are many things that could be much better for stereoscopic users. I am open to talk with Developpers if they agree to bring my stereographer experience to improve 3D tools on editing and color grading.
And to tell them on all the bugs in the existant stereoscopic functions (they are so bugged that some tools are unusable)

waltervolpatto

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 1:39 am

Fabien Remblier wrote:
Agent83 wrote:

This would be so much easier with native tools.
In fact there are many things that could be much better for stereoscopic users. I am open to talk with Developpers if they agree to bring my stereographer experience to improve 3D tools on editing and color grading.
And to tell them on all the bugs in the existant stereoscopic functions (they are so bugged that some tools are unusable)

Send a message to Shirivanis/Rohit/Peter about your offer!

Fabien Remblier

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 11:11 am

If only I had their e-mail !

Villem Roosa

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 4:10 pm

1.) More metadata and smarter metadata.

Make it more like Avid! Metadata editing and bin organizing in general is one of the things that Avid does very well, so it would be really cool if some inspiration could be taken from them.
For example, it would be so very awesome if I could duplicate an entire column of metadata to another column. Also, why can't I create my own metadata columns? Why cant I display some metadata in the bin view? (For example ''Characters'')

!!! 2.) Make it so audio doesn't lose metadata and filename on auto-sync. !!!

This is huge. As of now audio files follow video metadata and name on sync. This is a issue when you want to send your cut to a sound designer, who is most likely using ProTools. I know the goal is to get people to do the audio with Fairlight, but the reality is that the vast majority of sound designers use ProTools. And sound designers who use ProTools really want to get their precious metadata. Please make it possible. (There is metadata in Resolve for ''Synced Audio'', but this doesn't carry over to ProTools. And as described in my first point, you can't easily copy this column to another column that would carry over. Very frustrating.) For years the changelogs claim that export to ProTools is better, but somehow this issue keeps getting neglected.

3.) Better metadata entry and navigation in the media pool.

Basically make it more like Avid. It would be nice if I could navigate between the different metadata columns and rows and edit them while only using my keyboard. Make it as keyboard friendly as excel. Navigating metadata in the media pool really ought to feel like navigating spreadsheets.

4.) Better workspace rearrangement

Let me create my own workspace. Let me undock all panels, let them float on top of eachother, if I want, let me resize them in any way I want.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:34 am

Fabien Remblier wrote:If only I had their e-mail !

the forum has PM capability
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

jamedia

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 9:10 am

LavaMan Iyra wrote:Would LOVE to see support for Debian on Linux via .deb packages,

Recently I was looking at a big survey of "who uses what" in the way of OS's It appears that for developers it is most use Windows, then Mac, and the smaller group, a less than 1/5, use Linux. However when it came to users, Apple has doubled it's market share to 8% leaving Windows with just 92% ..... Yes 92+8 == 100% It seems that the number of users of Linux (other than developers) is less than 1% of the world. This is for desktops/laptops etc (the millions of Linux powered set to boxes and TV's don't count in this)

I would have said if anything BMD could drop the Linux support and very very few would notice. Then it might actually improve the overall stability of the system. There are already some features that wont run on Linux for licensing reasons and having to keep a 3 way target going when Apple moves to ARM CPU's is going to be a lot more difficult.

Though if they are going to continue a Linux it makes more sense to target a more common one than the one they do now.
www.JAmedia.uk

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 11:42 am

jamedia wrote:I would have said if anything BMD could drop the Linux support and very very few would notice.

Very few people would notice if BMD killed off Resolve entirely. Generic OS surveys don't represent the usages in very niche areas, which grading and editing is, compared to office work or web design or whatnot. For example a lot of big vfx companies run linux almost exclucively, but since it is a niche market it doesn't make a dent on big picture.
I do stuff.

jamedia

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
jamedia wrote:I would have said if anything BMD could drop the Linux support and very very few would notice.

Very few people would notice if BMD killed off Resolve entirely. Generic OS surveys don't represent the usages in very niche areas, which grading and editing is, compared to office work or web design or whatnot.

Absolutely, Apple held about 4% before the Apple laptop craze took off a few years ago with the trendy Macbook Air. That was your media people. (4% of computer users globally is still a BIG number of people.) However now every man and his dog is a YouTuber a lot of them are on FCPX (because it was $700 less than anything else) FCPX took off big time outside the Hollywood bubble.

So that FCPX market is probably worth BMD chasing. Particularly with Apple's move to ARM and that in 36 months time FCPX updates of the "old" Intel based MAC's will stop. For many a move to a PC based computer is on the cards in the next year or so. We jumped last year as our MAC Pro's won't tun the latest OSX let alone the new MAC-OS and the new MAC Pro is extortionately priced (we can get double the performance for half the price on a PC) So we can't get any updates to FCPX because it requires the latest MAC-OS

Hendrik Proosa wrote: For example a lot of big vfx companies run linux almost exclusively, but since it is a niche market it doesn't make a dent on big picture.

Yes, 5,000 (or even 50,000) users out of a population of 5 billion disappears in the mist. Especially when compared to the YouTube market. Though the question has to be: "Which Linux?". There are many 100's of distributions (the majority of which are obsolete and unsupported) and some are less reliable than others.

BTW the YouTube market is huge and many of the successful content makers are using or aspiring to pro (BMD?) kit. Huge numbers of channels are a production team of 5 to 25 people and it is a business. Hence the ATEM Mini/Pro so targeting the FCPX users might be a better move?
www.JAmedia.uk

brokenfeet

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Cyril Perrot-Botella wrote:
- Beziers and curves on keyframe timeline
- in timeline keyframes, navigation like tracker windows, keyframe by keyframe
- On the slider, on the bottom of the viewer, display keyframes for the node selected,
like the marker on the slider on the bottom of the viewer in edit, and color for keyframe actived or not actived.
- Active and desactive keyframes for all attributes, like inspector in Edit

THX

Strongly agree with improving the keyframe view in the timeline.
--> scale the y-axis, show values/units and set upper/lower limits.
--> changing colors of the keyframes/attributes
--> or maybe have a full "fusion-like" key frame editor within the timeline.

By the way...is it possible to view/export the keyframes of an OpenFX on a clip to the fusion keyframe editor?

brokenfeet

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:19 pm

Ah! Very important: integration of easy to use reframing plugin for 360° video!

Mark Aylward

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 12:41 am

Ability to make timeline controls on Fairlight work the same as the timeline controls on EDIT page.
Mark Aylward

President
Dead Ringer Movies

Apaps1970

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 8:46 am

Closed Captions should have a setting allowing you to save the track style and even export it for other users.
Having to punch in all the values for the track style in every sequence you open up is tedious.
Also there should be a way to justify subs on the top row. Now every single line subtitle I find in an SRT I need to ad an enter. That can take a lot of hours depending on the programme.
Also un-docking panels is also super important to me. I need to work with scripts, meaning that I need word running in the background and half a screen of the dual monitor setup I use.
Alexander Papadopoulos

tlegvold

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 am

+1 Stability first, new features second. If we can't rely on it as a professional tool, it doesn't matter how many bells and whistles it has.

Seems there are a lot of issues posted daily, especially (but not only) on Windows. Maybe spend some time chasing down some of these bugs and corner cases and get the code more robust and solid. Then optimize, then add new features. Then repeat for the next major release.

Agent83 wrote:For DaVinci 17, I want fewer program crashes and better performance. No new features, just more stability and secure functionality. For example, if I want to cut an 8k video with the current version, I can't watch a result of my current work in the edit page. When I start playback, the cursor jumps to some frame after an undefined wait and runs over the rest of the video in different jumps. You cannot control the edit with the current version. In DaVinci 17 it would be very nice if you could edit and control your video professionally. I would be pleased about that.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

jamedia

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 7:43 am

tlegvold wrote:+1 Stability first, new features second. If we can't rely on it as a professional tool, it doesn't matter how many bells and whistles it has.

Seems there are a lot of issues posted daily, especially (but not only) on Windows. Maybe spend some time chasing down some of these bugs and corner cases and get the code more robust and solid. Then optimize, then add new features. Then repeat for the next major release.

+10 for this Stability first, then fixing/improving current things second then new features a distant third.
www.JAmedia.uk

Mike Wolf

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 12:22 pm

-Ability to change "Version" to just "v" that is added to grabbed stills when naming stills includes version.
     So Instead of the still being labelled "Shot A-Version 2" it would be called "Shot A-v2"

-More robust clip name editing ability in Clip Attributes.
     Ability to use regex in the clip name when renaming clips with clip attributes.
     Ability to append an incrementing number to the clip name when renaming clips with clip attributes.
     Have a variable that is filename without the file extension.
Last edited by Mike Wolf on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Wolf, CSI
Online Editor | Colorist
mikewolfpost.com
310-357-7211

Mike Wolf

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 12:25 pm

IN COLOR

-Shared nodes in Group Pre-Clip and Group Post-Clip.

-Pre-Timeline Node space
Mike Wolf, CSI
Online Editor | Colorist
mikewolfpost.com
310-357-7211

Lee Niederkofler

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:44 am

It would be nice to have the ability that clips that only have group grades on them are not marked as graded.

On most features, I usually add all shots in groups and apply the show look + some variances based on the scene. But as soon as I add the shots in to a group (with a grade), it marks them obviously as graded which is a little counterproductive..

It would be great to get a on/off switch to change the behaviour in the Preferences.

waltervolpatto

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 pm

I would have said if anything BMD could drop the Linux support and very very few would notice.

sure..... just all the top tier Hollywood and London post house will notice...... how thoughtful of you.....

Resolve was born on a linux platform, it perform exceptionally well there, given that yo use the recommended linux version....

jamedia

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:15 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
I would have said if anything BMD could drop the Linux support and very very few would notice.

sure..... just all the top tier Hollywood and London post house will notice...... how thoughtful of you.....

So a very small minority of the 2 million Resolve users then.

waltervolpatto wrote: Resolve was born on a linux platform, it perform exceptionally well there, given that yo use the recommended linux version....

I think it was probably born in an SGI running UNIX similar to OSX
www.JAmedia.uk
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests