Ability to search subtitles

• Author

Keith Sanborn

Ability to search subtitles

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 5:07 pm

I'm working a lot subtitling feature films in various languages. Sometimes the translations have to be adjusted after the initial .srt file has already been imported and various typographic adjustments made. It would be really helpful if I could search within the subtitles for a specific text. Is this already there? Sorry if i missed it. I've done a few searches and couldn't find an explanation as to how to do that.

Here are some kudos: I had a project almost 2 hours long, Premiere Pro would only import part of the 1000+ subtitles and would get the time code and synch wrong. And I have been doing this kind of thing in Premiere for several years. After beating my head against the wall for about an hour and realizing it wasn't me, I booted up Resolve. Studio. Davinci Resolve Studio handled it beautifully, though it took a bit of time to figure just exactly how to get the .srt file onto the timeline. It's not quite so obvious as the manual states.

Mark Grgurev

Re: Ability to search subtitles

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 12:24 am

Keith Sanborn wrote: It would be really helpful if I could search within the subtitles for a specific text. Is this already there? Sorry if i missed it. I've done a few searches and couldn't find an explanation as to how to do that.

I only have a little experience using subtitles in Resolve but I don't think there is a feature to search for subtitles (or ADR cues for that matter) and there should be.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 1:40 am

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

vincentlepes

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Yes!

I currently have to cross-reference an outside SRT application with Resolve to find the spot where something was said as I am cutting interviews into documentary footage, and it is a laborious process. The ability to search for words in the subtitles and quickly identify their location in the timeline would be amazing. As it is now, I also have to reference a master, unedited interview because if I do any editing, the timecodes will change relative to the SRT I'm; referencing against. So I have to use an app to locate the phrase within the SRT, reference that timecode in the original, full interview timeline, and then mark it there to see it reflected in the edited interview or go hunting for it manually.

If I could search within the subtitles, I could edit as I like within a timeline and use the search to get to the parts I want to work with. This would be so much faster!!!

Consider this my +1!!
Resolve 16.0.0.64

• Mac Pro 6,1
    3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
    16GB 1866MHz DDR3
    2x AMD FirePro D500 GPU
    3GB VRAM
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6

• Macbook Pro 15,3
    2.3GHz 8-Core Core i9
    32GB 2400MHz DDR4
    AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20
    4GB VRAM
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6

joselmartinezdiaz

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 12:43 pm

+1

Denis Pilon

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 7:07 pm

+ 1
Resolve 18.0.4 Build 5
Desktop Video 12.2.0
Supermicro PC 7048GR-TR
Win 10 Pro
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W/10-Core 3.1GHz
RAM: 128GB
Maxwell RTX-3090 & 3060
Driver 511.65
Avid Artist DNxIO
System storage: 512GB SSD
Storage: Accusys Exasan 96TB total/RAID5

Sebastian Hoyer

PostSun Jul 12, 2020 10:44 am

+1

AndrewKeil

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm

+1

Hans Barbé

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 7:05 pm

+1

brediknight

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 4:28 am

+1

brandoncmanning

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 pm

+1

Sergey Mirontsev

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 8:41 am

+1
Blackmagic Design Certified Master Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4.0007
Speed Editor 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H1, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (471.68 Studio)

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Keith Sanborn wrote:I'm working a lot subtitling feature films in various languages. Sometimes the translations have to be adjusted after the initial .srt file has already been imported and various typographic adjustments made. It would be really helpful if I could search within the subtitles for a specific text. Is this already there? Sorry if i missed it. I've done a few searches and couldn't find an explanation as to how to do that.

Here are some kudos: I had a project almost 2 hours long, Premiere Pro would only import part of the 1000+ subtitles and would get the time code and synch wrong. And I have been doing this kind of thing in Premiere for several years. After beating my head against the wall for about an hour and realizing it wasn't me, I booted up Resolve. Studio. Davinci Resolve Studio handled it beautifully, though it took a bit of time to figure just exactly how to get the .srt file onto the timeline. It's not quite so obvious as the manual states.

I WANT THAT TOO!

And what could be nice too would be to be able to make an "automatic" cute around a particular word or phrase.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Sergey Mirontsev

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Sergey Mirontsev wrote:+1

For the fastest navigate, this should not be a search a la "Ctrl-F, type, Enter, Next... Next... Next", but a "Search on type" with simultaneous filtering of blocks of text where the substring is found.
Blackmagic Design Certified Master Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4.0007
Speed Editor 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H1, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (471.68 Studio)

Matt White

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 9:51 pm

+1

2fanatyk2

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 pm

+1+1+1+1 :-)

ymagic

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 am

+1

Octavian Mot

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 7:21 am

A search feature would be really nice!

Currently, we basically use @vincentlepes method stated above and it involves lots of ALT+TABs between the app where we have the transcriptions and Resolve.

+1
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

pmanczak.pl

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 am

Yes, ability to find & replace in subtitles would be great! Also, in my case, keyboard shortcut for adding new subtitles doesn't work...

jasond

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 12:00 pm

+1

I would like to be able to search not only subtitle tracks but also any markers and filenames.
Basically a find panel where you can filter and show and click or cursor through all the matches in your entire library.

Also, would be nice if the mechanism for entering/updating subtitles while playing/pausing the video could be completely handled via the keyboard.

jasond

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 pm

As I am new, I am finding that while I can use subtitles for taking notes on each timeline, it's actually a lot easier to open the media in media view and watch it at 2-4x speed while using hotkeys to add markers instead of subtitles.

The markers allow three fields + time and duration, which is a bit nicer than subtitles.
And I'm sure we can export and convert markers into subtitles either with a script or another tool...

So, my workflow is now:
Drag media into a project.
Go to the media tab.
Watch the videos using space and L to adjust the speed
Hitting Ctrl+M to add and edit a marker in one action.
Adding Keywords (I use hashtags), Name and Notes

Inside the master view that appears at the bottom, the videos contain a list of markers that can be opened and searched.

I right click on the Fields and add Keyword and Comments which allow me to display Keywords and Notes, respectively.

The markers are really nice.
I'm still confused a bit about why the markers added to a timeline don't have the same functionality as markers added to clips in the media storage, and I see some weird behavior with adding markers to tracks such as audio/video (where they appear twice in the Edit Index) and adding them to the timeline or the subtitle tracks, where they don't appear anywhere...

But since I'm only using the tool for studying videos and tagging important information, all I really need is the first tab. The other tabs (cut, edit, fusion, color, fairlight, and deliver) I think I can ignore for my needs for now.

Thank you. Problem solved for me at least.... This gives me a great video database that I can use to quickly find important information without having to search subtitle files and then open videos as I was doing before with InqScribe and Subtitle Edit.

NOTE: It would be amazing if the Markers dialog box would be docked or at least not prevent the video from playing while I type inside it.

CORRECTION: The marker dialog works great. I just needed to map a different key than spacebar to the play/pause. By doing this, I can leave the dialog up and type while the video is playing. A few more hotkeys that do not interfere with text entry and I can move the video and type subtitles or notes over a small duration and set the marker start and end points. Beautiful. Even better, there is no need to click done in the dialog. It saves automatically. And you can start a new marker with Ctrl+M even if you are still in a previous one. Automatic save of the old one and the new one pops up. Super fast workflow. Superb work... I just had to adjust my thoughts to those of the developers and they did this quite nicely I think.

Morgan Gold

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 pm

+100
2021 16-inch M1-Max MacBook Pro

Edgar Bueltemeyer

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 am

Gosh,

that would be so easy to implement.
There is an "Edit Index" List that just needs to include subtitles.
Done.

AND:
PLEASE FIX THOSE DAMN MARKERS!!!!! :evil: :twisted:

Example If you are working on a timeline and want so mark something on the timeline, because you are using it inside another timeline... You Can't!

If you want to set markers on clips while editing and see those markers anywhere else. Nope.

You are pulling a long recording (seminar, lecture, interview) into a timeline and start marking and cutting simultaneously (because that's perfectly possible). And then you want to see normal markers and duration markers in the Media Pool. Computer says NO...

Just this behaviour of markers cost me HOURS of additional (unpaid, of course) work.
I sometimes use Google docs to write down notes, because you will never know..

That can't be the way it is meant to be. Blackmagic, i highly appreciate the cool features, effects, codecs, Fusion, etc.... But, PLEASE, can you create maybe a new branch of Resolve that, feature wise, stays were it is, and just finish the things that are not finished.

Thank You! --RANT END--
--
PC:Resolve 18.5 - Tangent Wave - Speed Editor-Win11-AMD RYZEN 9-12 cores 64GB-RTX 4060 TI 16GB
Laptop: DR 18.5 / i7 Quad 16GB / GTX 860m
Macbook Air M1

dimsum

PostFri May 28, 2021 5:21 am

Edgar Bueltemeyer wrote:Gosh,

that would be so easy to implement.
There is an "Edit Index" List that just needs to include subtitles.
Done.

AND:
PLEASE FIX THOSE DAMN MARKERS!!!!! :evil: :twisted:

Example If you are working on a timeline and want so mark something on the timeline, because you are using it inside another timeline... You Can't!

If you want to set markers on clips while editing and see those markers anywhere else. Nope.

You are pulling a long recording (seminar, lecture, interview) into a timeline and start marking and cutting simultaneously (because that's perfectly possible). And then you want to see normal markers and duration markers in the Media Pool. Computer says NO...

Just this behaviour of markers cost me HOURS of additional (unpaid, of course) work.
I sometimes use Google docs to write down notes, because you will never know..

That can't be the way it is meant to be. Blackmagic, i highly appreciate the cool features, effects, codecs, Fusion, etc.... But, PLEASE, can you create maybe a new branch of Resolve that, feature wise, stays were it is, and just finish the things that are not finished.

Thank You! --RANT END--

+100 to all of this!

Edit index for subtitles so to search is a must!
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

AndrewKeil

PostFri May 28, 2021 11:30 am

Edgar Bueltemeyer wrote:PLEASE FIX THOSE DAMN MARKERS!!!!! :evil: :twisted:

I feel your pain, it's a maddening oversight that pretty much renders markers useless. I've given up using them on anything bar timelines or the occasional tricky sync.

Markers need to be accessible from pretty much every window on every page.

Oh and let us pick our own colours and name defaults, Premiere has been doing this for ages.

cire30a

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 7:14 pm

i would appreciate the caption search function as well. one of the most useful functions of premiere at the moment and its auto captioning. I actually just auto captioned and imported premiere srt into resolve and just realized i cant search through them. If you want a way to stand above premiere a beautiful feature would be to turn captions into markers on tracks. you could search it that way and also it will stay there while you edit. currently i need to constantly be aware of the subtitles so i dont get them off sync while editing.

Andy Mees

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 7:24 pm

another + 1 from me

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=145602
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

liushunet

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 9:40 am

+1

roger.magnusson

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 12:24 pm

As a workaround if they don't add Subtitles to the Edit Index, it's possible to create a script in Resolve for subtitle search. The problem is there's currently no way to navigate to the subtitle clip when it's been found.

I made a request for adding the functions that would make it possible here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=145831

fantafly

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:06 am

+1
DaVinci Resolve Studio 19 Beta
OS X 14.4.1

twainrichardson

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 10:05 pm

+1
2023 16' MBPro/M3 Max/48GB/macOS Sonoma
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.4.2

Videoneth

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 10:55 am

I can't test it now with the new 17.4, does anyone knows if it was implemented? I would love to have that
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Andy Mees

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 11:14 am

Maxwellx wrote:I can't test it now with the new 17.4, does anyone knows if it was implemented? I would love to have that

Lots of great work in 17.4 ... but no, sadly it seems the ability to search text in the subtitle tracks didn't make the cut yet... and still no ability to save/import/export Track / Caption Style presets.

Sadly, in 17.4 it also seems they've removed previous support for fixed width backgrounds (for subtitles)... which means a s**t load more work for me now, having to create and manually manage separate video tracks for subtitle background burn ins. Ho hum. Two steps forward but one step back.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Videoneth

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 11:29 am

Andy Mees wrote:
Maxwellx wrote:I can't test it now with the new 17.4, does anyone knows if it was implemented? I would love to have that

Lots of great work in 17.4 ... but no, sadly it seems the ability to search text in the subtitle tracks didn't make the cut yet... and still no ability to save/import/export Track / Caption Style presets.

Sadly, in 17.4 it also seems they've removed previous support for fixed width backgrounds (for subtitles)... which means a s**t load more work for me now, having to create and manually manage separate video tracks for subtitle background burn ins. Ho hum. Two steps forward but one step back.

Mmm, so not easier work for me too. I often have to cut videos based on the subtitles.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

duolazhang

PostFri Dec 24, 2021 2:04 pm

+1 Please!

vivoices

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 5:52 am

+1
The ability to search subtitle texts would make my work faster.

I tried to export a subtitle track, convert it to edl with https://editingtools.io/subtitles/ and import markers from the edl file.

I found out that Resolve does not import markers correctly. The comments are missing.
Udo Jansen

Win 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6.4, R9 5950X, 128 GB RAM, Quadro P4000 (8GB VRAM) 551.61 NSD, Intensity Pro 4K | Pocket6Ks FW7.9.1 | Speed Editor

davidtarrodi

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 11:45 am

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

DIVM_MVID

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 5:12 am

+1
Senior Colorist and founder of Black Peak

elkins.alex

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 5:38 pm

jasond wrote:I would like to be able to search not only subtitle tracks but also any markers and filenames.
Basically a find panel where you can filter and show and click or cursor through all the matches in your entire library.

You can search for markers and filenames in the Edit Index panel FYI.

But +1 on subtitle search FOR SURE.

robertshami

PostSat Apr 02, 2022 10:21 am

+1
roarstudio.it

Constantin Gross

PostThu Apr 07, 2022 11:22 am

+1

Marker behaviour is all over the place, not possible to get markers from one timeline into another or copy markers from timelines to clips to keep them in a new edit without cumbersome workarounds.

juantrueno

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:23 pm

I find a way!!!

Ok so it's April 14 2022 and i was looking for a way of finding spoken words inside my timeline and after reading a lot of forums i think i've just find a workaround to do this, without using external paid apps or services. (sorry if my english is not correct). You can convert the ST layer to EDL marker timeline using editingtools.io. If you have the subs inside Resolve, just go to export, subtitle and export an srt file. Then go to aditingtools.io and convert that file to an Davinci Resolve EDL. go back to resolve, click your timeline in the media pool, right click, import, timeline Markers from EDL, and boom. You may havo to do some adjustments, but it works fine. For word searching, just open the index edit tab, click the 3 dots, select show markers, all and select notes for viewing.

If you find another way for doing this, let me know

vivoices

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 12:52 pm

Are subtitles now searchable in Resolve 18 ?

I cannot upgrade yet.
Udo Jansen

Win 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6.4, R9 5950X, 128 GB RAM, Quadro P4000 (8GB VRAM) 551.61 NSD, Intensity Pro 4K | Pocket6Ks FW7.9.1 | Speed Editor

Andy Mees

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 1:56 pm

vivoices wrote:Are subtitles now searchable in Resolve 18 ? I cannot upgrade yet.
Nope. There has been some work done in v18b1 with the subtitling functionality, but as yet, still not searchable, still no find and replace (and still no capacity to export/import caption style settings.)

Jakartaguy

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 7:38 am

For whatever it's worth I would like to add my +1

Since we make our videos (in Indonesia) for western audiences we always develop subtitles and a search / replace text would be very very useful.

As an experiment I just tried to save the timeline (.DRT) and open it in text edit to see if I could find and replace the 30 incorrectly used times we need to replace the word across the 10 minute video, but it was unsuccessful.

SandroSchreiber

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 2:58 pm

+1

Jakartaguy wrote:As an experiment I just tried to save the timeline (.DRT) and open it in text edit to see if I could find and replace the 30 incorrectly used times we need to replace the word across the 10 minute video, but it was unsuccessful.

You could export your subtitle track to an .srt, open it in a subtitle editor or text edit and re-import it to resolve. A bit tedious, but it works.
Last edited by SandroSchreiber on Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

godzich

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 11:20 am

+1 from me too.

Additionally, the edit box for the subtitle is quite small, and the font size is also (and fixed). On a high-resolution display, it is hard to edit the text. Would be nice if the edit box could be resized and/or the font in that box selectable. This probably is related to the whole GUI scaling in general, but that is another discussion...

Christian
WIN10 Pro 64-bit|DRS 18.6.6
CPU i9-7940X 14-core@4.1GHz|64GB DDR4@XMP3600|ASUS X299M1 MOBO
M2 1TB (system) | 2x1TB HDD(scratchpad) |1TB SSD cache
ASUS GTX3080Ti (12G GBDDR) 551.61 driver (4screens)
IntensityPro 4K+monitor
ASUS 10GE NIC+Ext.64TB NAS

Valentin Kossenko

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 9:25 am

I just found this post here and think that DaVinci Resolve Studio has a lot of potential here. If there's one thing I still miss in DaVinci Resolve Studio coming from Premiere Pro, then it's this as well as a Speech to Text feature.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post external links here, but you can learn more about how Premiere Pro handles this feature over here https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/us ... -text.html and to be honest, it's quite amazing and something I'd love to see integrated natively in DaVinci Resolve!

This would speed up the editing process for many Resolve users out there for sure! Perhaps this is something, we will see in version 19, who knows? ;)

+1337 for this feature request!

Videoneth

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 4:15 pm

I have dozens and dozens of video with subtitles (that have the same names as the video files).
I would like to be able to search in them too, and get directly to the timestamp of the videos.

BM can't imagine how much time it would save me! Same for others who needs to search anything in their subtitle files.

It could change (for the better) the workflow of thousands of people. I use Descript too sometimes to have a transcript of videos. We can edit the video directly by removing words (or adding words too, with "AI" audio).

But i mostly use it to get a subtitle file I can use in Resolve.

An extra feature associated to it would be :"virtual" cuts (with an option to show/hide them) when a video file has a.vtt,.srt,etc. using the same name. It would be like Descript, but not exactly like it, where we would still have to make the "real" cut ourselves.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

okiewardoyo

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 4:27 pm

+1
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests