Ursa Mini Pro 12K is here

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Howard Roll

Re: Ursa Mini Pro 12K is here

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:I'm not trying to demosaic anything. I was trying to show that you wouldn't need to demosaic to get a 4K image from the full 12K sensor.

OK but this sentence doesn't describe this CFA.

Mark Grgurev wrote:"If you average pixels of the same channel then that gives you three color values and 2 luma values per square."

Fvp0wyh.png
Fvp0wyh.png (632 Bytes) Viewed 19980 times

You may want to count the colors again.

Good Luck

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 10:14 pm

Howard Roll wrote:OK but this sentence doesn't describe this CFA.

It's not meant to describe the CFA, it's mean to say what I was trying to show and what I did actually do.

Howard Roll wrote:You may want to count the colors again.

I counted them just fine. I would have found out if I miscounted if my Fusion composition didn't work but it did.

Wayne Steven

Next Cameras:

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 pm

Bump!
A leak.

Wayne Steven wrote:https://www.cinema5d.com/blackmagic-des ... ment-69514

..The full-frame, lower resolution version is coming out.

..it will be on smaller cameras soon

..Also, the Gen5 color science.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Mark Grgurev

Re: Next Cameras:

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 12:38 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Bump!
A leak.

Wayne Steven wrote:https://www.cinema5d.com/blackmagic-des ... ment-69514

..The full-frame, lower resolution version is coming out.

..it will be on smaller cameras soon

..Also, the Gen5 color science.

There's no reason to believe this is anything but some random person making assumptions.

Ellory Yu wrote:Well, that's good that you're smarter than I am.

Actually I didn't say that. Please read my posts correctly.

Ellory Yu wrote:That's more than the 5 home grown shorts you made since 2012.

Yea, probably. Shame all that experience didn't seem to translate into knowledge of how a camera works.

Ellory Yu wrote:Yours were likely self posted and self credited, which I'm sure you're good at because your smarter. Come back and brag when you get your first feature notch in your belt. Best of luck pumpkin. :lol:

Nope. I don't even want to be credited in some of those films. That being said, message me if you take issue with anything I said or if you'd this camera explained to you so you could leave everybody else alone.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 2:32 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:That being said, message me if you take issue with anything I said or if you'd this camera explained to you so you could leave everybody else alone.

The only person that can't let this go is you. Everybody else is fine with me. You need to stop trolling now and put a sack on this. I've been ignoring you on all the other post that you come after my comments. You're messing with the wrong a-hole here. But this is my last response because anything else from you is just trolling and stoking. You need to leave everyone else alone, me in particular and get back on point as no one else want to get interrupted with this. I've Ignored you and will no longer respond from here on forward to avoid [you know what] like you. Cheers.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

visalapol

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 3:04 am

Can this camera take a singles photo or easily extrack one from BRAW?

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 3:12 am

visalapol wrote:Can this camera take a singles photo or easily extrack one from BRAW?

I'm hoping so!
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Brawley

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 4:55 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:

There's no reason to believe this is anything but some random person making assumptions.

And from such a credible source. This is the same specs that were leaked and rumoured before the 12K was announced. We're back on that again...

Check out the BMD track record. Blew everyone away in 2012. No-one knew they were making cameras till they showed up and announced it on the floor at NAB. And pretty much have never leaked ever. 3 years is a long time to have been building a 12K camera. With a brand new sensor. Not seen before. Not a single leak.

I did enjoy reading all the rumours and so called leaks in the lead up. And I will again.

So far, I think we can say, BMD don't leak. It would be unusual if they did. Most "leak" I ever saw was when some people managed to take a photo though the glass of advertisements in the NAB hall the day before they opened....

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Mark Grgurev

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 7:03 am

John Brawley wrote:So far, I think we can say, BMD don't leak. It would be unusual if they did. Most "leak" I ever saw was when some people managed to take a photo though the glass of advertisements in the NAB hall the day before they opened....

Yup the only "leaks" I could think of are Fusion being added to Resolve, the existence of a Pocket 4K, and a picture of the Pocket 4K but the former two came from advertisements a day before NAB and the latter came was taken (I think) after NAB opened but like a day before the official announcement.

jerrygladh

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 9:17 am

rick.lang wrote:Take a break from the heavy analysis and enjoy another bold entry from John Brawley on the URSA Mini Pro 12K resolution options:

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2020/ ... nd-4k-and/

Beautiful!
Maybe missed it, you know what lenses he used for that footage?

Jerry
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

Wayne Steven

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:There's no reason to believe this is anything but some random person making assumptions

It's a purposeful statement from somebody hiding their identity behind two letters. BM might not leak but people under NDA and people around those people, are known to leak. Apple even mounted advanced development platforms to wood, so they could identify which one it was in a leak, from the wood grain, apparently.

But all you need to do is listen to John. Due to a mountain of stuff, and the brain damage, I've missed stuff in recent years. What is important, is what some one is not saying. Over is his blog (he has one, nice, though I can't read too much these days due to the issues. So, sincerely, congratulations John). He says that the prototype 12k used the innards of the G2, but the new one would use totally different innards. Why use new innards, unless they are either a cheaper upgrade coming to G2 or whatever replaces it, or just better? I haven't heard any objections to suggesting custom (ASIC) chips either. So, are we looking at this and future cameras being ASIC based designs? This also means smaller new pocket and micro is also possible, which I would enjoy. A friend of mine wanted me to take a formal intelligence analysis graduate course. Maybe recruitment program for somebody equivalent to an organisation starting with NS, which a friend of mine was in decades back. But then again, maybe it's totally wrong. That's the nature of analysis, working out what is likely, and unlikely, then seeing which one is right (do you can pick better and better the closer you are in). So, that itself totally lines up with the rumour quoted. Still doesn't mean it's true, but bloody possible mate.

(So, all this opinion of the camera overheating and not being able to process 8k and threatening the BM supply of cameras, is also finally Over. And this stuff that extra pixels are going to have a matching linear increase in processing and heat output on the hole system. Some parts yes, and other big parts are to do with non pixel processing. Dct function is a little bit pixel in use, but so much more. As it calculates an approximation which pixels are compared too, and differences derived from, which uses simpler processing. If people listen and learned as much as everybody else, this wouldn't happen. I notice most people have stopped posting or gone on the cheer squad now. 12k is extraordinary, I am happy fur them. But 8k dues not divide evenly into 12k, and is every derived sub resolution, so sort of demosaicing smart binning of missing colours, leads to better pixels, as we see here).
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 1:00 pm

John Brawley wrote:Check out the BMD track record. Blew everyone away in 2012. No-one knew they were making cameras till they showed up and announced it on the floor at NAB.

I knew years beforehand. One of the camera developers I knew was looking at working on it and was interested in bringing me along onto the team. Don't know what happened to him, he was also in talks with other companies). I might have know about it before you even. I tell people stuff out of lock down, but that doesn't mean I don't know a farm worth of stuff still under lock down. Even stuff I don't know officially, people talk about advanced tech somebody might have (this is way beyond secret) and I tell you how it probably works, because I've been theorising about how to do it too, not because of sources, though people do let some amazing out there things slip, way beyond what you see publically). What's really out there is insane, and at such potential harm to humanity. The Terminator movie view of the future, is the less of your worries. A lot of the SciFi bread and butter stuff which can or does already exist, can be greatly greatly misused, yet we get richest "smartest" men in the world say such stupid consequently harmful threatening things, when an actual smart person knows you have to set up huge safeguards and systems to prevent it from misuse, and not to put it out there without it. It's possible to do so much more harm than most "intelligent" people realise. BM is pretty tight, but inevitably it's hard to always be right the closer to launch.

Can you directly deny what the the few things the mystery poster over at cinema 5D said? They are vague, and just about format and size (forgetting the obvious colour science).

Adam Langdon

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Can you directly deny what the the few things the mystery poster over at cinema 5D said?

That's not how truth works. Rumors are just that. You don't have to prove the information is incorrect and if you can't prove it, it doesn't make it true.

I can start any rumor i want about BMD and if i'm vague or specific it doesn't make it valid.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Wayne Steven

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:Can you directly deny what the the few things the mystery poster over at cinema 5D said?

That's not how truth works. Rumors are just that. You don't have to prove the information is incorrect and if you can't prove it, it doesn't make it true.

I can start any rumor i want about BMD and if i'm vague or specific it doesn't make it valid.

Adam, it's a bit more complex than that.

If somebody states it as true, nothing you say except proof really disproves it. Doctors and skeptics fall into the self validating delusionary trap of denying the only evidence they have at times, stopping the build up of the evidence chain, and is bad. You have only the quality of evidence you have, and you try to increase that quality. If somebody who knows some simple facts like these, can state it as specifically false, it increases the quality of evidence that it is not true in a simple way, and we can move on. But, avoiding to deny it makes it look more credible.

You know that John said was more specific in a vague way, but not a denial.

And from such a credible source. This is the same specs that were leaked and rumoured before the 12K was announced. We're back on that again...

Does John know the source? Rumours are often about not knowing the source, including ones from really good sources.

What spec before NAB is John referring too? Not much spec was given, a fullframe lower resolution edition, and smaller cameras with the tech coming. A smaller camera could be ?? A full frame ?? lower resolution could be ?? Inevitably all these things are probably going be planned to be coming, some year, it is just debatable if the smaller ones will use this tech instead of Sony or something. So, it's not even worth denying as far as the rumour goes, but short term, this year, that is worth denying, even by saying "one decade it could happen" or "forget it" or "not soon" without even saying "not this year" specifically. The way certain people are saying things, I imagine the rumour might even be true. But we'll worth discussing, as I am excited about the prospect of full frame and smaller cameras, but I am 100% unexcited about the native ISO being 800. Which pretty much makes me think this isn't just Sony or Samsung tech (as has been out our there. If that was so, I would expect 17 stops from Samsung sensor tech at this size pixel cell, and iso in tens of thousands for Sony tech). As it's talking about iso 800, that might be improved Fairchild line, or one of the many sensor makers beneath them. With Samsung or Fairchild, why not dual simultaneous gain? I hope the 14 stops latitude is for very clean at 12k at physical sensor pad surface, and it hits it out of the ball park at lower res, and using the different colours on the filter.

But, getting real, I didn't expect this to match the native latitude performance of the Panosonic 8k organic sensor, or maybe any other non resolution based performance.

But let's imagine. Using noise reduction of downscaling to 4k or 2k, can we get 3200+ iso,even 6400 iso. I'd prefer ISO in the 10,000 or 20,000+ iso performance ability myself. :)

Can we actually not only get, but eat our cake too? I don't mind so much if I shoot 12k, but have to shoot 4k in a dark night scene, the audience's eyesight resolution drops with light value too. Put an auto mode that seamlessly drops the resolution automatically in dark scenes to 4k and 2k options, fine with me.

Can you imagine, if the 12k people see complaining about actually saves the day in low light and high latitude at low resolution. Smoking!! As Jim C used to say.

Adam Langdon

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Oh, man. I forgot about your replies...
Imma bounce out
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Que Thompson

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Oh, man. I forgot about your replies...
Imma bounce out

Funniest thing I've see today :lol:

John Brawley

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Ignore.

Just ignore it. It's pointless to engage it only brings more.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

jerrygladh

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:26 pm

John Brawley wrote:Ignore.

JB

Ignored, and smooth transition to reality.

What lenses where used in that beautiful 12k footage?

Jerry
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:27 pm

jerrygladh wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Take a break from the heavy analysis and enjoy another bold entry from John Brawley on the URSA Mini Pro 12K resolution options:

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2020/ ... nd-4k-and/

Beautiful!
Maybe missed it, you know what lenses he used for that footage?

Jerry
Jerry, John used a set of Zeiss Supreme primes for the UMP12K footage. By the look of the images, they’re great lenses for the camera. I may be wrong but I don’t think we have yet seen any budget cine lenses that are compared to the Supreme.

There’s a lot of interest in seeing the 12K comparison of very high end cine lenses to high end lenses to budget cine lenses to budget photo lenses.

If I was able to use the UMP12K, I’d likely record open gate 4K with my SLR Magic APO primes so I know that should look decent. Might try 8K as well but wouldn’t expect to ‘see’ any advantage in recording 12K.
Rick Lang

Ryan Earl

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:37 pm

rick.lang wrote:If I was able to use the UMP12K, I’d likely record open gate 4K with my SLR Magic APO primes so I know that should look decent. Might try 8K as well but wouldn’t expect to ‘see’ any advantage in recording 12K.

It wouldn't hurt to try 12K with the SLR Magic APOs. I'm still getting aliasing at F4-5.6 on the 4.6K with them. I'm interested to see how they look on the new 12K. You're going to get a IQ bump no matter what.

I imagine it's more likely to draw out center to edge sharpness issues if you go looking for it on any lens.

With the new sensor are we to expect alias free images or aim to shoot beyond the resolution limit of the lenses to be free of it?

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:42 pm

Looking forward to the early adopters to publish their test results. I would if I could and no harm trying any lens on the 12K recordings to see how it looks. Depending upon the subject, could work well enough to render 4K or 2K deliverables.
Rick Lang

Kholi Hicks

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Ryan Earl wrote:
rick.lang wrote:If I was able to use the UMP12K, I’d likely record open gate 4K with my SLR Magic APO primes so I know that should look decent. Might try 8K as well but wouldn’t expect to ‘see’ any advantage in recording 12K.

It wouldn't hurt to try 12K with the SLR Magic APOs. I'm still getting aliasing at F4-5.6 on the 4.6K with them. I'm interested to see how they look on the new 12K. You're going to get a IQ bump no matter what.

I imagine it's more likely to draw out center to edge sharpness issues if you go looking for it on any lens.

With the new sensor are we to expect alias free images or aim to shoot beyond the resolution limit of the lenses to be free of it?

I’m not sure how sharp SLR APOs are but my CinealtaMKiis are decently sharp, and I’ve used zeiss otus on the 12k as well which are likely the sharpest or close to the sharpest still lenses available for full frame and below right now.

Haven’t seen a shred of aliasing or moire in a few Tbs of footage now. Not a bit. I’m a real stickler for Moore and aliasing in hair and notice it there before anywhere else (shot a lot of beauty and hair product over the years), nothing.
Kholi Hicks

Kholi Hicks

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 7:00 pm

rick.lang wrote:Looking forward to the early adopters to publish their test results. I would if I could and no harm trying any lens on the 12K recordings to see how it looks. Depending upon the subject, could work well enough to render 4K or 2K deliverables.

Was doing 12K to 2K yesterday. =) It’s glorious.
Kholi Hicks

John Brawley

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 7:01 pm

rick.lang wrote:Jerry, John used a set of Zeiss Supreme primes for the UMP12K footage. By the look of the images, they’re great lenses for the camera. I may be wrong but I don’t think we have yet seen any budget cine lenses that are compared to the Supreme.

Zeiss OTUS are the stills equivalent of the Zeiss Supremes. They're actually also very very good.

https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products ... enses.html

You can go to someone like Duclos and order Nikon mount Otus for the manual IRIS and then have him convert them into EF mount. Or just have EF mount with electronic iris too...

This is actually good value for these lenses
https://www.ducloslenses.com/collection ... 2-lens-set

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Very useful feedback Kholi and John. Thanks.
Rick Lang

ricardo marty

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:45 pm

L guess now its a question of dependability and reliability for some high end productions. Will they believe that a 10k camera can make a multimillion-dollar film?

Ricardo Marty
Last edited by ricardo marty on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Que Thompson

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 pm

ricardo marty wrote:L guess now its a question of dependability for some high end productions. Will they believe that a 10k camera can make a multimillion-dollar film?

Ricardo Marty
Starts at the indie level imo. It’s simple really.

BM should bring in up and coming directors/dp and give them the camera. If people cut their teeth on a BM camera, they’ll be more likely to stick with it when they progress. Or at least view it as a viable option.

There are SO MANY very good mid level music video directors/dp, narrative director/dp that would love to be an ambassador. I would say myself, but my work doesn’t get the views (30k per approx..) to really push the brand the way I’m thinking of.

Just go on Vimeo and you’ll find a ton of talented directors/dp. Give the best of them a camera and continue the takeover.

They can also hold contests and provide discounts for 12k rentals for a limited time.

Adam Langdon

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 9:27 pm

I'm planning on getting a Zeiss Milvus set after my 12K purchase.
I've been enjoying my Contax Zeiss set.

The Otus line... i wish it had a 35mm! that's my go-to focal length on s35.

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 10:08 pm

You know the Fujinon ZK Cabrio 19-90 T2.9 PL is looking like a budget zoom to shoot on the UMP12K for Super 35–just covers the image circle. Less expensive than 2 Zeiss Supreme. $29,800.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895225-REG

If you want to think about ‘full frame’ the Fujinon Premista 28-100 T2.9 PL is also a budget zoom less than two Zeiss Supreme at $38,800.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1473135-REG
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 pm

If you insist on primes, the Schneider Cine-Xenar III T2.2 PL might be an interesting choice given they are telecentric Super 35. A set would be in the Premista price range. If I remember correctly they had some chromatic aberration but that might be reduced on the UMP12K.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882393-REG
Rick Lang

jallen0

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 10:27 pm

I will say that if the camera depends on glass like this it is most certainly not for the indie filmmaker..or most anyone else. really looking forward to seeing this in the hands of more people and a wider variety of lenses.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Ryan Earl

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 11:26 pm

jallen0 wrote:I will say that if the camera depends on glass like this it is most certainly not for the indie filmmaker..or most anyone else. really looking forward to seeing this in the hands of more people and a wider variety of lenses.

The Sigma Art lenses are looking pretty good for it: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/0 ... rt-lenses/

Not so expensive if you go with EF mount.

Kholi Hicks

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 12:52 am

jallen0 wrote:I will say that if the camera depends on glass like this it is most certainly not for the indie filmmaker..or most anyone else. really looking forward to seeing this in the hands of more people and a wider variety of lenses.

All cameras / images depend on glass though? Scour Vimeo for videos shot on any Arri body and still lenses, compared to cinema lenses. The difference is pretty apparent.

If anything, the sensor will take the unappealing edge off of still lenses and make them feel more palatable.

I’ve got a Voigtlander Ultron 40mm on the body at the moment and I think it looks quite solid. So did the Leica Rs. You will always get the best out of a camera using better glass, it’s just more exaggerated here and that’s not a bad thing by any stretch. Personally I love it.
Kholi Hicks

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 1:32 am

This zoom is a step down in quality from the other Fujinon zooms I posted, and it’s currently on sale at B&H Photo $10,995, reduced $2,500. If you chose to have a zoom for the UMP12K, I think most people on a budget might be pleased with the Fujinon XK 20-120mm T3.5 with servo and importantly Cooke i/ technology. Look it over:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1251350-REG
Rick Lang

Steve Golding

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 12:17 pm

So after the complaints on this forum about Australian pricing, it all changed today! But I think only for cameras, Resolve is still up there. Anyway found this : https://www.videocraft.com.au/blackmagi ... pro-12k-pl AU$14,839 including GST!

Video guys have it at AU14,330 inc GST! Not buying it just became much harder.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Golding on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 12:50 pm

Maybe I should be complaining about the price in Canada that doesn’t even include our taxes? The new Aussie pricing is well below that Canadian price of $15,695 CAN plus taxes!
Rick Lang

Steve Golding

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Maybe Rick. Those are slightly discounted from the new retail price of AU$15,725, but very pleasing nevertheless.

Steve

Wayne Steven

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 2:23 pm

Que Thompson wrote:
Adam Langdon wrote:Oh, man. I forgot about your replies...
Imma bounce out

Funniest thing I've see today :lol:
You can see the bounce to in the profile photo! :)

Man it was obvious I and John wasn't. The truth is what it is, may it sail by one day.
John Brawley wrote:Ignore.

JB
You know only with wrong things John, don't divert. If you are saying the quality of what that guy is saying is bad then ok. If you are saying I'm the source and low quality instead, I'm neither the source or have anything to do with it.
jerrygladh wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Kust ignore it.

Ignored, and smooth transition to reality.
Jerry, if you think I'm delusional, just remember I'm always talking from much more straight dead serious reality. Politely trying to explore and look after people instead.

In Australian, virtually every innovative person who is right, faces harmful resistance, before they are proven right.

I'm not expecting secrets, that's their business. I'm seeking further clarity about statements here, and if the source is misleading, Jerry, is there anything wrong with that?
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Now, let's see what's announced at the show in a few weeks.

I have little desire to shoot 12k, but an 12k-16k fullframe pocket that shoots up to 8k with a mount that allows adaption to s35 lens, would be a great camera.
Steve Golding wrote:So after the complaints on this forum about Australian pricing, it all changed today! But I think only for cameras, Resolve is still up there. Anyway found this : https://www.videocraft.com.au/blackmagi ... pro-12k-pl AU$14,839 including GST!

Video guys have it at AU14,330 inc GST! Not buying it just became much harder.

Steve
:)
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Adam Langdon

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Has anyone seen any low light footage? Curious how the camera handles pitch blackness, moonlight, etc.

Yogendra Singh

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 3:23 pm

Is there any way to open these 12k BRAWs in windows?
I see 16.3 beta 1 update available only for mac.
https://www.instagram.com/weddings_by_yogendra/

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Robert Niessner

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 3:52 pm

Yogendra Singh wrote:Is there any way to open these 12k BRAWs in windows?
I see 16.3 beta 1 update available only for mac.

Yogendra, they are still working on the Windows beta and will release it as soon as possible.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

John Brawley

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 4:18 pm

I do think that's a little simplistic. Resolution is but on metric, and often it's not the kind of lens trait many people chase :-)

II guess I'd say, don't think you suddenly need high performing lenses. If you use a high performing lens though you'll see a more obvious difference than what you're used to seeing on other cameras...

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Wayne Steven

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 pm

Justin. A lot of people don't know this, but one of the reasonings for post 8k resolutions, is to better preserve the image rendering characteristics of the lens. So, give it a try on lenses you like, and see what you get? Allegedly, you don't need an 8k lens to get some benefit.

jallen0

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Well, I think I have made the decision to get the camera. Right now I plan on starting with the 45mm T1.5 Irix Cine Lens (https://irixlens.com/cine-lenses/cine-lenses-45mm/ ). If that doesn't give me a look appropriator for the camera (based on everyone here!) then I'll step up to a Sigma 35mm T 1.5 High Speed Prime to start with. The issue I have is I cannot justify financially getting a set of lenses that are greater per lens than the $3500 cost. And yes, I know that is my issue and that my issues and real life requirements often conflict.

Honestly this has been the biggest issue I have grappled with. It's useless to buy the camera if I cannot get everything out of it that it can produce. We know what it can produce with a $20,000 plus lens, I just do not know the deficits you get with a lower cost lens.

This is why they call things like this "living on the bleeding edge"!
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm

We are always learning from each other here, so I’m really looking forward to seeing the 45mm IRIX on the UMP12K. Good luck with the purchase.
Rick Lang

Kholi Hicks

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 6:01 pm

jallen0 wrote:Well, I think I have made the decision to get the camera. Right now I plan on starting with the 45mm T1.5 Irix Cine Lens (https://irixlens.com/cine-lenses/cine-lenses-45mm/ ). If that doesn't give me a look appropriator for the camera (based on everyone here!) then I'll step up to a Sigma 35mm T 1.5 High Speed Prime to start with. The issue I have is I cannot justify financially getting a set of lenses that are greater per lens than the $3500 cost. And yes, I know that is my issue and that my issues and real life requirements often conflict.

Honestly this has been the biggest issue I have grappled with. It's useless to buy the camera if I cannot get everything out of it that it can produce. We know what it can produce with a $20,000 plus lens, I just do not know the deficits you get with a lower cost lens.

This is why they call things like this "living on the bleeding edge"!

Funny enough, I've spent all morning and last night trying to find an IRIX 45mm near me to test on the camera. I'm not a fan of how the Sigmas look on anything just about, so they weren't an option for me, but the IRIX looks to have very very little CA and seem to be ridiculous sharp.

Unfortunately, nobody here in LA owns them so I may have to try the Dragonfly EF mount copy first and see where that goes. CAn't imagine them being any different other than housing.

Edit: should add, my CInealta MKiis resolve plenty on the camera, I'm just bored of the focal lengths (20, 25, 35, 50, 85, 135 zzzzz) so have been looking around. Will be picking up a 45mm Mamiya lens and a Helios 44 to play with, I believe they'll look very interesting.

If I were any less moronic I would just use the cinealtas and move on from glass hunting, as they render beautifully on the 12K body and can be had for around 8500-9500 for the entire set.
Last edited by Kholi Hicks on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kholi Hicks

jallen0

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 6:15 pm

Very interested in hearing about what you see.
Desktop Video 12.1

Ryan Earl

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Kholi Hicks wrote:If I were any less moronic I would just use the cinealtas and move on from glass hunting, as they render beautifully on the 12K body and can be had for around 8500-9500 for the entire set.

Interested to hear your results too. I've been trying the SLR Magic APOs on the Canon 5DS at 50mp 135 full frame. They are plenty sharp in the center for portraits. . . of course I don't have a 80mp super35mm sensor to try them on. . .

SLR magic is making the APOs in EF mount for the same price as the IRIX and they have a bigger head start towards a complete set. SLR magic also updated their specs to say "suitable for 8K."

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Ryan, which site is SLR Magic using now? In the U.K.? Sounds like the SLR Magic are still a good choice for BMPCC8K but they’re not as fast as the IRIX. Would like to hear which Fujinon zoom will be required. I have my eye on the MK zoom for MFT, but don’t know if that is still good for the BMPCC4K; it’s fine for the BMPCC4K though. And as Kholi mentioned, regardless lower resolution lenses may still be good. But not great I suppose.
Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography