Please fix crash after waking up windows after sleep

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

Please fix crash after waking up windows after sleep

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 11:48 am

Davinci resolve frequently crashes when closing my laptop, and then opening it. Please fix it! Thank you!
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

herein2020

Re: Please fix crash after waking up windows after sleep

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 1:28 pm

I asked about this too, because I was used to PP picking up right where I left off. The answer I got was it is so closely tied to the video card that it cannot resume. It used to crash every time after resuming from sleep on my desktop.

Interestingly enough, I updated my video card drivers to the absolute latest and now DR does survive sleep mode. I'm also on Windows 10 version 2004 with the latest patches. Also, I am not sure if you are aware that there are multiple sleep modes in Windows. I disabled Fast Startup, Hibernation, and hybrid sleep.

Pugent Systems has a great writeup about the different options: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/suppo ... ation-793/

For your situation you may also want to check to see if you have the absolutely latest drivers and experiment with the different sleep modes. I had to go to the NVIDIA site and download them, the Windows 10 Automatic Updates driver was about 1yr behind.
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 1:30 pm

An edit system should never go into Sleep, Hybernate or other low power modes. Keep everything powered up full at all times. Shut Down when you're finished for the day.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

herein2020

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 1:43 pm

Jim Simon wrote:An edit system should never go into Sleep, Hybernate or other low power modes. Keep everything powered up full at all times. Shut Down when you're finished for the day.

IMO that's easy to say but not so easy in the real world. My system heats up my whole office, drives up my power bill, and takes forever to boot up from a cold start. I come and go all day long for various reasons and normally am running 20 browser tabs, email, Photoshop, Lightroom, DR...etc...etc. To me Sleep mode is pretty important.

With enough small changes I managed to end up with a rock solid system that sleeps and resumes with no problems from DR. I had this same functionality from PP in the past without having to do anything. The only time my machine does a full reboot is about once a month for patches or if I update a driver.
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 11:29 pm

herein2020 wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:An edit system should never go into Sleep, Hybernate or other low power modes. Keep everything powered up full at all times. Shut Down when you're finished for the day.

IMO that's easy to say but not so easy in the real world. My system heats up my whole office, drives up my power bill, and takes forever to boot up from a cold start. I come and go all day long for various reasons and normally am running 20 browser tabs, email, Photoshop, Lightroom, DR...etc...etc. To me Sleep mode is pretty important.

With enough small changes I managed to end up with a rock solid system that sleeps and resumes with no problems from DR. I had this same functionality from PP in the past without having to do anything. The only time my machine does a full reboot is about once a month for patches or if I update a driver.

Exactly. This is just a bug and needs to be fixed. Thx in advance!
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

Return to DaVinci Resolve