Capturing w/ Integrated Graphics

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jack Kimble

Capturing w/ Integrated Graphics

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm going to do some HDMI video capture and was looking into the Intensity Shuttle or perhaps the UltraStudio Recorder 3G.

The plan is to use a newer semi-portable Mac system. (Either a new mini or macbook pro) I'm mainly tied to it for FCPX & Logic, but short of a Macbook Pro 15", they all have the intel integrated graphics.

The main intent is to capture to a hard drive for editing. Maybe I'll use the hardware to stream from a camera at some point-- But everything I've read in regards to OBS, Elgato capture, etc. is people streaming computer games, and live encoding for web, which supposedly requires a dedicated gpu.

I understand it will probably pay off in the long run to get an eGPU for the Mac, but I'm curious if I can just use the integrated graphics to capture for now.

What is the current capture software (Desktop Video or Media Express?) Does this blackmagic capture software require a dedicated GPU to capture uncompressed video or will I be able to get away with the integrated graphics?

tsioukas

Re: Capturing w/ Integrated Graphics

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 2:06 pm

As a user of Intensity Shuttle many years don't go for USB edition. It have a lot of problems with some USB controllers and even if it works sometimes doesn't start at all and you need to reconnect, restart streaming app or OS. The good is that if it starts, it works without any problem.

If you don't want output or composite in, choose the new UltraStudio Recorder 3G but make sure that your MAC is Thunderbolt 3 compatible. UltraStudio gives you option for 3G SDI for longer cable distances and more professional camcorders.

Personally I will buy it when it's available in my market.

Return to Getting Started