What camera do you want to buy from BM next?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Wayne Steven

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 5:14 pm

I would like something small, ninja styling. At least 8k.

Multiple Thunderbolt USBC and display function.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Clementinho

Re: What camera do you want to buy from BM next?

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Funnily enough, my hopes are 90% functionality-related.

Firstly, I would love to have a cubic camera with a screen on the top, like the Z-Cam or Komodo, or at the operator’s side where we can quickly access the touch screen functions. Those companies really listened to professional feedback when designing their camera, while the current Pocket setup with the ports at the side, awkward long form factor and fixed screen on the back really make it so cumbersome to work with, especially on gimbals, and almost impossible to comfortably rig out with a v-mount battery on the back.

The UMP is great to work with and is BMD’s greatest design yet, but it doesn’t give me a low enough profile and we are rightly seeing a demand for a more modular system.

Working with the screen on the Pocket 6K rigged out with a V-Mount and Teradek (the only way to properly do it in order for it to be capable of production) has made me a master hand contortionist but unfortunately it doesn’t feel as fun as it looks.

Next would be good solid batteries on the back. I’m dreaming of hot-swappable Sony L-Series batteries.

Finally, I am praying for a competent OLPF that deals with the moire and IR issues. I think there is simply no excuse for the quality of OLPFs that are in the BMD cameras right now.

Bonuses: I would love for dual SDI ports and a BNC TC Sync as well as 4K 120fps. Full frame is pretty low on my list; super-35 with good low light performance is great enough for me.

Personally, I would rather get a smaller, tighter camera with great image quality and functionality than a 12K camera that can only record in BRAW. The codec is great but we need the option of ProRes for quick turnarounds and workflow flexibility when working with some production houses.

It’s a pity that Blackmagic’s amazing image quality and intuitive menu system is let down by these quirks! I have owned the UMP G1 and G2 and now shoot with a couple of P6Ks and a P4K because of their low-light prowess, so you could say I’m Blackmagic through and through. For the past 2 years I have been giving my feedback and compliments to them and I really love what they have done with BRAW, but it seems I might have to go Komodo before the year is up because functionality is a crucial part of the process!

Wayne Steven

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 5:59 pm

I agree about the camera format.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

ricardo marty

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 6:04 pm

I will sell my p4k and get the p6k. But im waiting to see what else will bmd be showing this year or next year. I also like a box or brick shape

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 2:16 am

If someone is completely immersed in BMD gear as I am, I can no longer see going to the Komodo 6K. If someone is immersed in RED, then it’s a logical choice.

I understand sometimes you need something in a fiscal year, but that’s not a concern for me. So I’m waiting until 2021 for BMD to release a smaller version of the UMP12K’s sensor which might be the BMPCC8K or another form factor.

I like some of the suggestions here but the feasibility of some suggestions totally depends upon the basic form factor selected by BMD. As long as the camera supports SDI I’m good; not as confident about HDMI if connections are not full size.

I wonder if WiFi would be an advantage to include? I assume Bluetooth would be there.

Would like a flexible EVF similar in quality to the BMVF if a Micro form factor is chosen by BMD. If not, I’ll use the BMVA12G Mark II that could be released at the same time if it takes a new model to correct the inconsistencies in the screen colour.

I do agree having the BMPCC4K monitor fixed on the back of the camera isn’t the best design and that’s one of the three reasons for buying the BMVA12G7: ease of use tethered to any camera, redundant recording, visibility in daylight.
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 5:01 am

I'll probably get a 12K... it will be great for high speed as well as for nature, on top of just having rather nice color rendition. And a perfect complement for the Komodo I'm going to get; there's still a major portability advantage there -- though I'm still keeping my eyes on the Mavo Edge for travel and adventure stuff. Hmm....

No rush though. I already have a great camera, so I have time.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 5:41 am

rick.lang wrote:If someone is completely immersed in BMD gear as I am, I can no longer see going to the Komodo 6K. If someone is immersed in RED, then it’s a logical choice.

Rick, I've been immersed in BMD gears since the BMCC days and for what they can do at the price they are offered. I think BMD cameras are best at sub $6K price range. Any camera beyond that performance/value range, my choice is just to rent it for the time I need it or the project I'm doing - regardless of brand. Cameras, unlike lenses, need to have an immediate return on investment because they become door stoppers over short period of time. Owning a few BMD gears is a way to keep myself immerse with the tool but reality is RED, ARRI, and Sony are the most requested gear for pro/paid work. Although I spend a lot of time here on this forum and tinker with my BMD gears, I'm always using some other gear on projects that I'm working for (for example, I have a couple of projects slated to use the Komodo and another using Venice, and BMD for mine and those who I collaborate with. The unknowns right now is what changes and budget will pave for these projects I'm in because of the pandemic.

What do I want to buy from BM next? Well, I've still plenty to do with the Pocket 6K and the UMP G2 for the next couple of years so the improvements of their color science and its availability on these cameras is what I want. That's probably not a buy but hopefully an acceptable ask. :)

I've been looking for some new lenses lately though. That's were I'm looking at spending my 2020 money. ;)
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

WahWay

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 8:16 am

Something smaller with FF sensor, great AF, IBIS, 14+ stop DR and 4k-16k

Wayne Steven

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 9:29 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:I'll probably get a 12K... it will be great for high speed as well as for nature, on top of just having rather nice color rendition. And a perfect complement for the Komodo I'm going to get; there's still a major portability advantage there -- though I'm still keeping my eyes on the Mavo Edge for travel and adventure stuff. Hmm....

Well, that sounds like a comparison test on Redshark coming up.

Mark Davies

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 4:03 pm

I'd have been happy if they kept the G2 form factor Put in the 6k sensor with 24MP added a Locking mechanism to the EF mount or an option to buy one Changed the Mains power out so we could use old or cheaper batteries. But now I feel homeless No one is making a decent budget indie film camera with todays tech and totally usable. I'd love to get the G2 But the sensor is now superceded by even its own Pocket camera. Also like to have seen something done about the colours which always make greens a bit yellowy I think this might be something to do with infrared sensitivity.

Just such a good opportunity there.
Mark Davies

timbutt2

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 4:48 pm

If I don’t get the UMP 12K this round, then next generation UMP 12K. Maybe a Pocket 6K to use with the UMPG2 since I’m holding on to it.

The gig I just shot in Texas impressed a musician enough to want to book me for a few music videos. So I may be able to make a bough for the 12K. And, that would be a pretty awesome camera for its color and the new sensor improvements. May have to try to make it happen.

Otherwise, it’s a play by ear situation with the COVID-19 world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:I'll probably get a 12K... it will be great for high speed as well as for nature, on top of just having rather nice color rendition. And a perfect complement for the Komodo I'm going to get; there's still a major portability advantage there -- though I'm still keeping my eyes on the Mavo Edge for travel and adventure stuff. Hmm....

Well, that sounds like a comparison test on Redshark coming up.

Maybe. I'm not generally a fan of comparison tests, because they're generally clickbait for people who want to convince their audience to hire them because of the camera they own. I'm more interested in putting the camera through its paces so that I can use it to create content. And since I'll most likely keep my Red, I won't need to care; if some client REALLY wants a Red, I'll be covered, and if a production is renting everything, what I own doesn't matter anyway.

I would however like to see a future camera that is basically the same as the UMP 12K but in a smaller chassis and ideally with lower power draw to make it more portable. One of my main frustrations with my Red is that even though it's compact when stripped down, it's power draw limits how much I can shoot with it when I carry it on a backpacking trip.

I still don't care about autofocus though...
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Tim Kraemer

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 11:51 pm

Better form factor. Smaller. More megapixels. More dynamic range. MFT mount.

Que Thompson

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 12:23 am

Tim Kraemer wrote:Better form factor. Smaller. More megapixels. More dynamic range. MFT mount.
:lol:

My Pocket 4K is plenty. I don’t know who you guys are shooting for....

Rakesh Malik

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 2:57 am

My cat

Sent from my H1T1000 using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Wes Greene

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 4:08 am

Basically the the Ursa 4.6k sensor and frame rates in a BM micro form factor with a RF mount - swap out HDMI for SDI and build a mini high quality SDI EVF, swap out SD card for CFast card

Clementinho

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 7:52 am

Definitely relate to Rick’s point about being immersed in the Blackmagic ecosystem. I shoot BRAW and do a full Resolve post workflow whenever I can.

Unfortunately, the Pocket’s moire and IR issues as well as the absurd form factor have been increasingly a hassle. The great thing about the Komodo, aside from it’s low footprint and easy-to-rig body is that it shoots both ProRes and R3D to CFAST 2.0 Cards and runs on hot-swappable Canon BP batteries. R3D is well-supported on Premiere, Resolve and Final Cut. I wonder why BMD could have missed all this (they could have even gone the Z-Cam way with the Sony L batteries on the back). Moving away from proprietary media is the best thing Red has done to this line of cameras.

Nonetheless, it is true that BMD has the best image and menu offering for a sub-$6k camera. If they could only make it a joy to use as well! We don’t need a full frame sensor or crazy high resolution; good low light, high speed and especially functionality would persuade me that they are listening to us professionals!

And maybe add in that flexible RF Mount for good measure ;-)

Wayne Steven

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 8:38 am

I agree, it's like a mini mini ursa with the mount put in the front in size. 1/4 the size would be fine.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 8:44 am

An 8k+ micro, with pocket and handycam battery handle cases, and monitor which can flip out. 1/4 pocket size with pocket battery handle case and 4 inch minitor.

But just a 1/4 sized black aluminium 8k pocket world do.

All with series of cage like mount holes around the circumference.

Tom Roper

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Pocket 12k. Just stick the S-35 sensor from the UM12k into the hole where the P6k sensor was, and call it done.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 11:07 pm

What camera do I want BM to come out with next?

I want BM to create a camera that nobody knew they needed, but we can't live without. Surprise me BM.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 12:01 am

Tom Roper wrote:Pocket 12k. Just stick the S-35 sensor from the UM12k into the hole where the P6k sensor was, and call it done.

In light of the difference in image processing and data rates, good luck with that.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Robert Castiglione

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 12:24 am

Very happy with the 4k. I am still exploring the possibilities of this camera.

Not interested in the 12k. The hyper real images do not appeal to me in any way. That's an aesthetic choice, not a criticism of what is clearly a extraordinary camera.
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 1:22 am

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:What camera do I want BM to come out with next?

I want BM to create a camera that nobody knew they needed, but we can't live without. Surprise me BM.

Gene, best answer and possibly the only one that will be proven perspicacious!
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 3:06 am

I agree with Rick and Gene, meanwhile, I have my mint Pocket 4k for sale.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Wayne Steven

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 3:16 am

rick.lang wrote:
Gene Kochanowsky wrote:What camera do I want BM to come out with next?

Gene, best answer and possibly the only one that will be proven perspicacious!

I wish I had a clip of the doctor in Startrek Voyager using his holographic camera for a happy snap and noticing his subject has had a fine line bone repair. Now. If only they had those cameras, they could sell that to internet companies to get their users to wear streaming, All the time! :)

Wayne Steven

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 11:00 am

Just posted this over the 12k thread:

a smaller mini cinema camera with fixed lens prosumer camcorder format and video production features, 8k-16k (depending on sensor size) with semi permanent semi fixed 12 or 20x optical zoom, with B4 2/3rds sensor windowed mount adaptor, as the new production mini. Combine three models into one... you have the sensor mount module on the end rotatable to the side to do pocket format. But, if they could do a full frame with replaceable mounts, then they only need three cameras based on (physical) size.

...a pocket sized mini 16k, a s35 12k smaller pocket and a smaller 8k micro, all with swappable smaller lens mounts.

Extra bit. New mount and lens adaptor:

...The swapable lens mounts designed so they can be locked to the lens and attached to the swapable lens mount when needed, the swappable mount system becomes the new mount.

...becoming an industry standard can take off.

...physically the new mount would be bigger than IMAX 15 perf, which with allows multi lens 3D systems to easily fit in the mount, like those Panasonic twin lens 3D lenses, which reserved one side of the sensor per lens, so 1/4 per lens in a 4 lens system (and so on fractions per for different lens numbers).

...But, also smaller versions of the mount to fit on devices too small for that mount. Next step down would be larger than so called stills full frame or Vista, the next down larger than 24mm. Possibly one larger than a 2/3rds sensor. This would cover everything including a nano action pov camera, and as an alternative to B4.

...A variable fit version of larger version of the mount is possible, but might only be for light lenses.

...Most mounts should be the second biggest, as it will fit most pro equipment and the smallest, for common pov action drone use

The rest here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117834&p=652315#p652315

ricardo marty

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 5:11 pm

My p4k will probably be my only BMD one. My next camera will be the sony a7slll unless bmd comes out with a new line of cameras with real AFC or the lidar works great.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

QuantumImages

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 6:52 pm

I have the G2. Only complaint is the FPN and moiré. Fixed some of it with a RAWLITE OLPF.
4.6K is a weird size, with a weird downscale to UHD.

So I guess what I'd want is the URSA Mini Pro G3 with :

- S35 6K (with the 12K's RGB sensor, but half the pixel count) with the same DR (15 stops is more than enough in 98% of scenarios).
- NO FIXED PATTERN NOISE PLEASE.
- Good in-body OLPF.
- 150fps in 6K, 240fps in 4K DCI and UHD.
- Internal NDs with 2, 4, 6 AND 8 stops.
- Internal M.2 with caddy (I hate the external SSD recorder).
- More custom buttons on the outside.
- Internal wireless video transmission
- Real internal dual recording (not half the frames in 60p on a card and the other half on another one).

I wouldn't mind to pay more to get these specs!
Camera : URSA Mini Pro G2 + A7sIII
Computer : AMD Threadripper 2950x 16-cores 3,50Ghz // MSI X399 Pro Carbon // 64GB RAM // RTX 3080 // M.2 1TB + 2TB // WD Enterprise Gold 12TB x2 // Seasonic GX-1000 PSU

Adam Langdon

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 7:57 pm

i know it's been beaten to death... but:

Canon RF mount, s35 sensor (whatever pixel count, just more than UHD)
14+ stops Dynamic Range
Internal ND filters
Box-style (Komodo inspired)
Wireless monitoring/control
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Brad Hurley

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 8:11 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Canon RF mount, s35 sensor (whatever pixel count, just more than UHD)

I'd like to see L-mount as an option (which I guess would require BMD joining the L-mount alliance with Sigma, Panasonic, and Leica) simply because almost any lens can be adapted to it...it seems like the full-frame equivalent to Micro Four Thirds in that respect. Is Canon RF mount equally adaptable? If so, that could work too.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

David White

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 8:42 pm

I suspect most of the people here are working in rehearsed environments with control of their lighting, so my preference will likely not be all that common.

I capture events. I have no idea how a performance or sport event will unfold and I definitely don't have control of the lighting. My need for a wide dynamic range camera records raw is at least as strong as those working in a studio environment. That's why I have the pocket and pocket 4k.

I also need good, continuous auto focus and an integrated viewfinder. The traditional camcorder form factor works well for me. I could just buy a new camcorder, but those manufacturers act like they are doing me a favor by providing 4:2:2 10 bit MPEG something and that's only in the last couple of years. I'm spoiled now that I've had raw for the last six years.

Good, continuous auto focus may not be practical on a camera with interchangeable lenses. RED is trying. Perhaps a learning artificial intelligence approach might help such a camera adapt to different lenses. If not, I could live with a fixed lens with a reasonably wide zoom range.

As for the view finder, I just need it to show me how I've framed the shot. I don't need it to be color accurate as I'll deal with colors in post.

Finally I need native 4K 60p support since I'm recording people who move fast.

David

Charles Unice

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 11:44 pm

Im still shooting with my G1, pocket 6k and pocket 4k, I didn't think that the G2 was that much of a step up. Now the 12k.... I get it but at the same time I don't.

Really what I want is:
-6k sensor in a "Full Frame" format
-PL Mount
-16 stops of dynamic range
-built in ND- every "film camera" should have this now days...(even Komodo, Mavo edge did it... just sayin.)
-with out the fixed pattern noise.
-In a form factor that makes sense for film makers.
-How about some 2pin Lemos? You market the 12k for film makers but where am I supposed to put my MDR-3 and power it? Or power external onboard monitors? or a Teradek? I have a distro block (rencher industires-dtap to 2pin lemo) on my G1, but I feel like 2pin lemo, and 3 pin lemo should be standard and built in on a film camera?
-SDI out- so sick of HDMI. I have had several hdmi ports go bad on pockets. ($500 to fix :shock: )
-Better highlight roll off, similar to ARRI
-record all this internal to whatever media bmd likes
-cost the same as the 12k and id buy 2 right now!!!

To date the only options on the market for the above specs are Zcam, and Mavo Edge. Workflow on Zcam is a deal breaker for me also the 14 stops, and no power outputs, no sdi. Mavo edge is not out yet, supposedly this month so it could be a contender... also has 14 stops, the power and SDI ports on the camera make it a serious contender.

Come on BMD I love your products and have been a huge supporter for 10+ years, but the 12k camera was a major drag for me. Major Drag :(

Wayne Steven

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 11:51 pm

David, people dismiss and even shockingly berrate people mentioning auto focus. But I posted a video interview from CineD with a black magic engineer, and he clearly says they know about it and have been looking into it. I don't know what is taking so long for at least a push button to fast focus. I mean, Sanyo was fantastic, make lots of suggestions, and they just did it. Probably helped that one of their guys was a forum member. BM should track down their great engineering team for prosumer, compact, reduced production cost and energy side of things, I imaging not too many are at Panasonic now.

dn9909

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 5:41 am

A mount with no play, please.

Clementinho

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 7:43 am

Interesting to see that almost everything that has been said comes from a form factor/hardware standpoint. I think it’s safe to assume that we all love what BMD has done with BRAW, the menus, colour science and frame rates. They even cleaned up the FPN in the Pocket cameras. I hardly ever shoot ProRes any more.

If the 6K had V-Mount support, a cubic form factor with a screen on top, a decent OLPF, an RF Mount and internal NDs, it would have been the perfect camera for me. I don’t think a full frame camera would be able to offer the same frame rates as the 6K as we already see a lot of rolling shutter in that super-35 camera.

I’m really hoping some of the things like the form factor, QC, FPN and moire can be ironed out in their next camera. I would gladly pay the price of a Red Komodo to get something that reliable and easy to use from BMD.

As a commercial and narrative cinematographer, I’m definitely staying in the BMPCC6K ecosystem for the lower budget stuff but I feel like they really missed what filmmakers want in a camera when they released the 12K.

timbutt2

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 8:13 am

Listen, I like where their head is at with the UMP 12K. I'd say definitely get the 12K to stay 12K width, but have true 2.4:1 2X Anamorphic at that full width by expanding the height. Otherwise, VistaVision is the next step after the 12K with some higher resolution based on those pixels. My thoughts on VistaVision are elsewhere on the forums.

Expanding the way those new 12K pixels capture data to expand dynamic range would be more than welcome. But then as well getting more lenses that feed metadata for lens profiling to become part of the camera. I'd love to see that with the pixels being smarter to know the profile of a lens. I'd love if the cameras had a lens memory where Blackmagic can update firmware with lens profiles. This way when you have a lens on the camera it knows what lens it is and a profile for that lens can exist.

I'd love for expanded aspects of that information to be shared over a wireless signal, including that lens metadata to a wireless video and focus system. A combined system 100% from Blackmagic Design would be pretty incredible. So that even the focus distances of the profiled lenses appear on the Wireless Video Assist that also has full camera control. You then can use a FIZ Hand Unit with it the 5" or 7" Wireless Video Assists. The motors are synced with this whole system, and the wireless video transmitter is built into the body. I'd say move the XLR inputs on top in favor of the wireless antennae.

Honestly, with where Tentacle Sync has gone with Audio, and the Mini XLR inputs that now exist, I'd say find a way to build in Tentacle Sync for audio syncing of external audio recorders and then have Mini XLR inputs for recording audio directly into camera from an external microphone.

I'm more in favor of a single internal recording media card slot. Should be something that handles faster speeds than CFast 2.0, and CFExpress still looks promising in that regard. Swappable Media is still important, and with 12K 5:1 being about 1-Hour worth of footage in 2 TB, 1 TB Cards that can handle the speeds of 120 FPS 12K footage will one day be needed. And, that's following a similar HFR trajectory based on the G2 from the G1 UMP with 4.6K resolution. Nonetheless, a new media card format is probably needed in the next UMP.

Ultimately this all leads back to a promise from 5-Years ago... Gyroscope. Gyroscope Metadata combined with the sensor profile and the lens profile information helps Fusion inside Resolve do 3D Camera Tracking. Maybe this could lead to a built in camera tracker in the camera for Volumetric Practices. Thus when you have sensors around set that understand the positioning of the camera in the set that metadata goes with the BRAW file into Resolve so that more VFX can be done. But as well, you could shoot with the projection technology of the Volume like they use in The Mandalorian.

Metadata is king here. Building the right tools that all work with doing this to make operation and post easier. This camera could become a beast. And, major productions will use it.

Some of this is built on the idea that DaVinci Resolve and Fusion become the primary post production tool for the production. Obviously because Blackmagic can easily build a lot of this metadata communication into Resolve. The Metadata should still be able to be read by any software so that a production can choose which software they want to do post in. This does require that post software developer to do the work to integrate all that Blackmagic RAW metadata into their software to do what Resolve at least can in order to compete.

Either way, that's what I want to see. There's a bit of excitement for me because Stereo 3D is still open with this tech improvement scheme. But I've focused on 2D for now. Well, 2.5D because of the camera tracking ideas.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Wayne Steven

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 11:03 pm

If only they would use mobile parts in it, they could have all that and 3D mapping of the scene that VFX would love.

Actually, a suggestion, an APP and API to strap a mobile phone onto the camera to supply those features. A simpler cheap way to do it. Maybe 'what's their name' would want to do that in their App, as a companion mode for your cinema camera. Buy a cheap phone or iPhone 12 mini. Stap it to the front, and get all that feature data for your footage, and a second view for computing 3D.

Domingo Olmo Martin

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 pm

I would like to see a 6k or 8k camera with the video sensor technology of the 12k, cube form factor with swapable lens mount.
Domingo Olmo Martin
Author - Director
Co-founder of Studio Barsoom

Wayne Steven

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 2:31 am

I think I'm onto something. An external module that supplied this functionality from Mobile parts. Such a unit could even be a stripped down phone design, or the full phone, so BM could buy fur $10-$30.

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 2:59 am

Domingo Olmo Martin wrote:I would like to see a 6k or 8k camera with the video sensor technology of the 12k, cube form factor with swapable lens mount.
I think the BMPCC8K with the new custom 6x6 RGBW sensor will be DCI 8K, sensor about 18mm x 9.5mm, a little bit smaller than the current BMPCC4K 18.96mm x 10mm.
Rick Lang

David White

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 3:32 am

Wayne Steven wrote:I think I'm onto something. An external module that supplied this functionality from Mobile parts. Such a unit could even be a stripped down phone design, or the full phone, so BM could buy fur $10-$30.

Several years ago, before Oculas, I converted a Sony non tracked headset into a full VR rig with a separate solid state gyroscope unit. I paid $500 for it and that was half price. Then Nintendo started mass producing their Wii gyroscope equipped controllers. Years later, a friend amazed me with the accuracy he was getting with his cell phone VR kit using the phone's gyroscopes. They have come a long way and must pretty cheap now that they make them by the billions.

David

robert Hart

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 4:29 am

I guess I am just the luddite in all of this.

My personal preference is to keep things as simple as possible. Box-style cameras I do not particularly like. Having to remember all the bits and pieces to bring along and the hell of building it all together and rip it all down again afterwards puts me off a bit. That said, there were moments when the tethered mini-head on the SI2K was very handy.

If BM made a self-contained 12K core to slide into the case of a gutted out big URSA body with a sub-PCB to feed the big 10" swing-out monitor, the left and right control touchscreens and the many sockets, I would be a happy camper. I have a spare big URSA body. With the original cooling system gone, there might even be enough left-over space to shoehorn a dock for the newer small SSDs.

Yes I know. Struggling and grunting the big URSA about is an ordeal which may do your back in. However everything is large and spaced out. You don't need the tiny fingers of a five year-old and close-up glasses to find and operate the controls. It seems such a waste of all that CNC-machined casework just to have it obsolete and sitting there all mute and blind.

HykCIne

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 5:42 am

I would like to see BMPCC6K with RF Mount, internal ND and RAW recording in all modes with the price from 2000-3000$
Z Cam E2-F6 Pro / Tokina 11-20 / Canon 17-55 / Sigma 18-35 / Sigma 50-100 /

Wayne Steven

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 8:49 am

robert Hart wrote:I guess I am just the luddite in all of this.

My personal preference is to keep things as simple as possible. Box-style cameras I do not particularly like. Having to remember all the bits and pieces to bring along and the hell of building it all together and rip it all down again afterwards puts me off a bit. That said, there were moments when the tethered mini-head on the SI2K was very handy.

If BM made a self-contained 12K core to slide into the case of a gutted out big URSA body with a sub-PCB to feed the big 10" swing-out monitor, the left and right control touchscreens and the many sockets, I would be a happy camper. I have a spare big URSA body. With the original cooling system gone, there might even be enough left-over space to shoehorn a dock for the newer small SSDs.

Yes I know. Struggling and grunting the big URSA about is an ordeal which may do your back in. However everything is large and spaced out. You don't need the tiny fingers of a five year-old and close-up glasses to find and operate the controls. It seems such a waste of all that CNC-machined casework just to have it obsolete and sitting there all mute and blind.

Yes, it's bad on this forum, you try to talk about something progressive and people automatically jump in you and Rant. You write into the newspaper, and hardly anybody ever says something negative, and people talk about it. Go figure!

But, I hear you. The Big Ursa was a good idea, I know, it will be on a post somewhere as a suggestion. For ENG work, the camera rigs get very big, but maybe the Ursa was a bit too much for other uses, and lacked the features and attachment eco system. There were only 600 or something I think I read.

I still think, that they should just offer a trade-in or kit, to out the 12k in there, a large battery, and storage compartment. Anyway. $6kUS, off for your big Ursa sounds like a fair deal.

Now, I have a great suggestion for a model for you Robert, and this is going be a spin out.

A thin low camera that two halves fold out, vertically, to make the user side of the camera twice as high, with big controls. It's a simple innovative design, that existing components can go into. It could be like a mini folded, but the look of that Russian cinema camera (forget the name) comes to mind, but a taller version unfolded. Both sides of the folds can have controls. A bit like the coin, but better looking.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robedge

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 11:28 am

Re the thread title "What Camera Do You Want To Buy From BM Next?"

I'm only interested in whatever the successor is to the Pocket 4K. At that point, I'll evaluate options having regard to build quality, ergonomics, codecs, features and price. My decision to purchase a Pocket 4K was based entirely on price, and if I purchase the Pocket 4K's successor it will be because it's cheaper than alternatives.

Matt White

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 2:00 pm

A small, stealthy, discreet camera with a built in viewfinder. For docs in sketchy places! I dont want to be noticed.

thomas bruegger

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 2:43 pm

Im waiting for BM to bring that FF Sensor and a locking Lensmount with all that G2 goodness like ND Filters and XLR inputs and the lovely BM-Menu. The UMP is such a great Camera to work with. I wish they go FF with 6K or 8K. and a S35 cropped mode.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Wayne Steven

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 2:56 pm

robedge wrote:Re the thread title "What Camera Do You Want To Buy From BM Next?"

I'm only interested in whatever the successor is to the Pocket 4K. At that point, I'll evaluate options having regard to build quality, ergonomics, codecs, features and price. My decision to purchase a Pocket 4K was based entirely on price, and if I purchase the Pocket 4K's successor it will be because it's cheaper than alternatives.

The pocket 6k?

I suspect that the recent discount on the 6k, is a prelude to the 4k being dropped and the 6k dropping down it's price range, as a new higher end pocket comes out. The micro might then come in under that. We wait and see.

robert Hart

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 4:22 pm

Wayne Steven.

Alas the two "big" URSAs are serials which have already been "traded-in" during the original act-of-grace-discount period when the 4.6K turret upgrade fell through. I doubt BM's business model can affordably contemplate a discount deal to wean luddites like me off old gear.

The idea of a fliphone-style construction may not be as far-fetched as it might seem. Stills cameras went fairly close right from the word go as the first glass plate cameras were huge. So there came the concertina bellows and rails.

Then the small medium-format camera makers introduced folding cameras. Along came the 35mm stills format and the fold-up notion went away. The build precision of the earlier larger-format types did not have to be extra special so long as the shutter and optics in the front were.

35mm cams had to be very precisely built and a fold-up style in that scale would not remain affordably accurate in dimensions for long in real-world hard work.

Slightly offtopic. Given you are into R and D, would you happen to know anything about the small LEDs in the Sound Devices SD302 audio mixer. I have been repairing a used one which developed faults due I am guessing to splash entry of seawater wicking inside through narrow gaps. There were corrosion patches and crystalline deposits inside,

It seems from signs there may have been a conductive track from the power input switch to the LED strings of the levels display. A block of about 8 LEDs has been demised in the centres of the L and R channel displays, my guess from overvoltage directly from the power input. Their failure likely protected the others which survive and still function.

I am trying to source replacement LEDs. They are a style which is called rectangular and measure 1.9mmx 3.9mm at their display face which is designed to poke through a fascia to be level with the front surface. They are very bright, capable of being seen in direct sunlight.

The only source of anything which looks like them is branded Kingbright. The only offerings in the same form factor I can find are those with a matte finish to the display surface, not clear transparent like those which have failed.

The original bright clear ones may have become unsellable with the advent of comprehensive small LCD displays in later generations of audio equipment.

Sound Devices are unable to assist. They have a repair facility but do not stock discreet parts for distribution. To ship the mixer to the US and back plus repair cost just to restore it cosmetically can not be justified.

I am impressed with the build quality. What undoubtedly saved the appliance was that everything on the two main PCBs is encapsulated in flexible clear silicone. The LED strings sit on their own little PCB which was not quite so well protected. It is well within my own capability to remove and refit the LEDs if only i can get hold of replacements.

I would have private messaged you but I cannot find a messaging function on BM's forum.

Any advice from other readers will be of course very welcome.
Next

Return to Cinematography