Dual Output monitoring via Decklink and UltraStudio 4K Mini

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

konskons

Dual Output monitoring via Decklink and UltraStudio 4K Mini

PostMon Mar 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Hello community,

I am setting up my new workstation with multiple monitors and was wondering if a simultaneous HDMI output monitoring using both Decklink MiniMonitor 4K and UltraStudio 4K Mini would be possible.

Thank you very much!

Best,
Kons

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Dual Output monitoring via Decklink and UltraStudio 4K M

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 5:09 pm

I don't think so. I think you will find the desktop vidoe app will only feed to one of the devices.

konskons

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 8:07 pm

The thing is, I don't trust HDMI splitters. Among the complete crap of splitters you find online, the so called "professional" splitters I found still seem not to fulfill serious requirements or come with – for our purposes –poorly documented spec sheets (any serious splitter recommendations highly welcome)

My UltraStudio 4K Mini is connected via HDMI to my EIZO CG319X. Now I want to connect a calibrated LG OLED Display as a client monitor additionally. Using a splitter coming from the UltraStudio 4K Mini seemed the most logical option, but I liked more the idea of using a Decklink simultaneously with the UltraStudio.

Or maybe the solution is to also utilize the simultaneous SDI output by using a Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G.

bluesmanredtop

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 5:03 pm

did you find a solution? i was told the bm "mini converter up down cross hd" would work by using the sdi out for the decklink mini recorder 4k and the hdmi for a monitor. 'seems like there should be an easier and cheaper solution...........

konskons

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 pm

So I am running right now the solution of utilizing simultaneously the HDMI output (goes to Eizo) and SDI output (goes to LG OLED) of the UltraStudio 4K Mini. The SDI output goes to a Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G which then goes to the HDMI Input of the LG OLED. It works.

I am really disappointed by the UltraStudio 4K Mini. There is no turn off button, so it's constantly on no matter if your computer is on or off (why Blackmagic why?). And furthermore it is noisy as hell — you have a very noisy fan plus an annoying high pitched constant ultrasound. I mean, this device was designed to put in on your desk in front of you. The noisiness is unacceptable if you really want to work in a quiet environment, especially if you are enjoying the quietness of your MacPro.

jerrygladh

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 2:32 pm

konskons wrote:So I am running right now the solution of utilizing simultaneously the HDMI output (goes to Eizo) and SDI output (goes to LG OLED) of the UltraStudio 4K Mini. The SDI output goes to a Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G which then goes to the HDMI Input of the LG OLED. It works.

I am really disappointed by the UltraStudio 4K Mini. There is no turn off button, so it's constantly on no matter if your computer is on or off (why Blackmagic why?). And furthermore it is noisy as hell — you have a very noisy fan plus an annoying high pitched constant ultrasound. I mean, this device was designed to put in on your desk in front of you. The noisiness is unacceptable if you really want to work in a quiet environment, especially if you are enjoying the quietness of your MacPro.

Have the exact same config here with the LG added today, so thx for info.
Works like a charm and the LG just needed some minor adjustments in "Expert dark mode"
to match the calibrated CG319x very good. Some SDI audio delay though but i can live with that.

Jerry
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

jallen0

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 2:40 pm

konskons wrote:And furthermore it is noisy as hell — you have a very noisy fan plus an annoying high pitched constant ultrasound. I mean, this device was designed to put in on your desk in front of you. The noisiness is unacceptable if you really want to work in a quiet environment, especially if you are enjoying the quietness of your MacPro.

Is it noisy all the time? If so, can anyone from BMD say if this is normal or not? If so, I agree, this is disappointing.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

konskons

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 7:28 pm

jerrygladh wrote:Have the exact same config here with the LG added today, so thx for info.
Works like a charm and the LG just needed some minor adjustments in "Expert dark mode"
to match the calibrated CG319x very good. Some SDI audio delay though but i can live with that.

Good to hear! I really suggest to calibrate and color match both displays (Eizo and LG) professionally. It is extra costs, but it's the way! Regarding sound: I don't have audio delay with the LG. What settings/software/hardware are you running?

jallen0 wrote:Is it noisy all the time? If so, can anyone from BMD say if this is normal or not? If so, I agree, this is disappointing.

Unfortunately yes... a client during grading even asked me, what this annoying noise is. Right now, I am in touch with BM's service team and we try to find a solution.

jerrygladh

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 pm

konskons wrote:
jerrygladh wrote:Have the exact same config here with the LG added today, so thx for info.

Good to hear! I really suggest to calibrate and color match both displays (Eizo and LG) professionally. It is extra costs, but it's the way! Regarding sound: I don't have audio delay with the LG. What settings/software/hardware are you running?

jallen0 wrote:Is it noisy all the time? If so, can anyone from BMD say if this is normal or not? If so, I agree, this is disappointing.

Unfortunately yes... a client during grading even asked me, what this annoying noise is. Right now, I am in touch with BM's service team and we try to find a solution.

Mac Pro 7,1 tb3 to the US Mini 4k, Hdmi to Eizo319x, SDI out via Mini Converter SDI-HDMI 6g to LG C9.
Have a minor but disturbing Video/Audio delay on the SDI output.
My audio system is fed from the US Mini 4k.

Did you change any settings in the Mini Converter (or elsewhere)? All switches to off here.
Didnt have the time to check that out yet...

No problem with disturbing noise here...

Jerry
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

Return to Post Production