Resolve 16 Studio won't start at all

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Critfocus

Re: Resolve 16 Studio won't start at all

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 1:04 am

I'm having a similar issue. Yesterday Resolve opened and worked totally fine. This AM, it just won't open. I've tried many things (on Windows 10, Dell 9570 ultrabook, 32Gb RAM).
Rebooting.
Shutdown, and Starting.
Uninstalling Davinci and re-installing.
Upgrading to 16.2.3.
My Nvidia Studio driver was up to day, so I switched over to the game driver to see if it would make a difference.
Installed the server stuff to try and optimize.
Tried troubleshooting and compatibility.
Spent all day trying to get it to work.

Click on Resolve - blue spinny wheel for a bit, then nothing.
Open Task manager and there is a Davinci app running in the background process about 157mb and nothing else.

It's a bummer. Was thinking about going to Resolve as a daily driver...but this gives me serious pause. Spent all day working on this.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 2:13 am

We can't help you without a Resolve log and a Windows system information .NFO file.

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Terence Kearns

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 2:24 pm

This issue is killing me.

But I'm using the free version so I'm not entitled to support. Thats what I was told when I contacted support. Well I WOULD upgrade to STUDIO but I have no idea if this issue would be resolved or not. If not, than it is entirely a waste of money. I have tried everything in this thread. I started another thread 2 months ago but no one was able to help.

You know, it wouldn't kill Blackmagic to include some respectable exception handling which would leave clues and maybe provide a decent user-space error message.

The issue is catestrophic from an ITIL point of view - a deal-braker. Literally a NON-STARTER

Terence Kearns

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 2:26 pm

What does Grant think of this issue?

Is he okay with it?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 4:22 pm

I see that you posted a Resolve log on May 11, and I missed seeing that thread.

Please post a current Resolve log AND a Windows System Information .NFO file.

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.
Dwaine Maggart

Terence Kearns

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 11:27 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I see that you posted a Resolve log on May 11, and I missed seeing that thread.

Please post a current Resolve log AND a Windows System Information .NFO file.

and run CaptureLogs

Cheers.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QVU4GLmbyp1LeQLoYSbofzwprHYuzpYS/view?usp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Without the NFO file, hard to tell for sure.

Looks like Resolve is hanging during processing of the Red Giant ofx plugins. So maybe temporarily move those somewhere else and see what happens.
Dwaine Maggart

Terence Kearns

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 1:32 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Without the NFO file, hard to tell for sure.

Looks like Resolve is hanging during processing of the Red Giant ofx plugins. So maybe temporarily move those somewhere else and see what happens.

My bad. I forgot about the NFO

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jFWZHn ... sp=sharing

I think that Red Giant stuff got installed when I installed HitFilm Pro. Had no idea Resolve was trying to load it. I removed everything from C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins

Here is a fresh capturelogs https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K-Kb_0 ... sp=sharing

I think the last one I gave you was from May. This one was freshly created AFTER i removed all the OFX plugins.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 6:07 pm

As a test, disconnect any USB or BlueTooth connected device. Disconnect anything other than a standard wired keyboard and mouse.

Does Resolve launch now?
Dwaine Maggart

Terence Kearns

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:As a test, disconnect any USB or BlueTooth connected device. Disconnect anything other than a standard wired keyboard and mouse.

Does Resolve launch now?

I ejected absolutely everything and physically unplugged all physical USB devices. It still bales out while/after loading the Fairlight page.

Latest log
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M4yuHs ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 12:01 am

Take the system off the network and temporarily disable the Windows Firewall for private and public networks, and see if Resolve will launch then.
Dwaine Maggart

Terence Kearns

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 11:21 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Take the system off the network and temporarily disable the Windows Firewall for private and public networks, and see if Resolve will launch then.

Disabled netork adaptor
disabled windows defender firewall across all zones
kept all USB devices physically unplugged (only PS2 keyboard and mouse)

Resolve still won't launch after it hits the Fairlight page in the splash screen.

PS. I've uninstalled and reinstalled resolve many times. In each case, PostgreSQL remained installed. Should I upgrade PG? Do you want me to send you an SQL dump?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 3:33 am

No, don't mess with PostgreSQL.

OK, now we delve deeper:

Open a Powershell window as Administrator.

Enter this:

netsh int ipv4 set dynamicportrange protocol=tcp startport=49152 numberofports=16384

Now see if Resolve will launch.

If Resolve still won't launch, in the same Powershell window, enter this (feel free to copy and paste):

Get-NetTCPConnection | Where-Object { $_.State -eq "Listen" -and $_.LocalPort -eq 1144 } | ForEach-Object { (get-process -id $_.OwningProcess).Description }

Is anything listed after running this? If so, what?
Dwaine Maggart

Terence Kearns

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:No, don't mess with PostgreSQL.

OK, now we delve deeper:

Open a Powershell window as Administrator.

Enter this:

netsh int ipv4 set dynamicportrange protocol=tcp startport=49152 numberofports=16384

No change. Won't launch

I got prompted by firewall to allow ports again.
3 prompts in total. I click YES to all of them

I ran the command again and tried to launch again.

No dice.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If Resolve still won't launch, in the same Powershell window, enter this (feel free to copy and paste):

Get-NetTCPConnection | Where-Object { $_.State -eq "Listen" -and $_.LocalPort -eq 1144 } | ForEach-Object { (get-process -id $_.OwningProcess).Description }

Is anything listed after running this? If so, what?

Nothing returned from that command.

benruiz74

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 7:41 am

As suggested in this thread, I ran the igxpin file in the win64_24.20.100.6286 graphic driver update suggested by Adobe Premiere and it worked. I can now open DaVinci Resolve

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 6:45 pm

Can you share a Resolve log, and/or tell us what GPU(s) are in your system?
Dwaine Maggart

therealjaysmith

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 8:23 pm

Good Afternoon

I have tried installing DaVinci resolve 16 with multiple versions and I can not even get it to load. I will look in task manager and it will load about 200mb into memory then just freeze there. I have tried turning off my firewall, running it as admin, running it in several compatibility modes, taking off all USB devices, turning off my VPN, and using different Nivida drivers. I have a 1060 with 6GB of ram, Windows 10, 32GB of ram and its running off a 256GB SSD.

Attached are the crash log and the nfo for my system, any help would be appreciated

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T_rRYu ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/197QtSo ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 pm

@Jay: your links require access credentials. Please make the links open.
Dwaine Maggart

teAr ringer deg

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 12:08 am

Hello, Dwaine,

Could you help me as well? :D

I have this problem (obviously?) also. Because I was having problems with Resolve, I got frustrated and uninstalled it. I know, I know, but I was having so many problems that aren't worth going into. I reinstalled. It wouldn't start at all.

I did some research and found a video telling me to look for certain files. I can tell you up front I am missing .config.data config.dat config.dat.bak CacheClip gallery, the two directories because there was nothing in them and I thought Resolve would install everything I needed when I reinstalled.

Will you please offer some advice for my situation?

Thank you.

nadia_0730

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 4:36 am

Hello, my DaVinci Resolve 16 won't start up anymore. It loads with the blue circle, and then just stops and doesn't open. Can you please tell me what's my problem. I have multiple projects that took many hours to edit, and would be devastated if I don't find a solution. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QVU4GL ... uzpYS/view

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 5:38 am

@Nadia: Unfortunately, your LogArchive folder is empty. It should contain the last 5 good logs and the last 5 crash logs. Without those logs, I have nothing to compare the current log to, to see what's going on.

However, Resolve seems to be hanging while loading Red Giant OFX files.

So all I can suggest, as a test, is to do the following, and see if Resolve will start:

In a Windows File Explorer window, go to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX

In that folder, you'll see a folder called Plugins. Rename the folder to Plugins.tmp

Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 5:43 am

@Ari: A normal Resolve install won't touch the locations where the config files are stored.

Only on a complete fresh clean install will the Resolve installer create those files.

Without an existing Resolve log, I can't tell you precisely how to do a clean Resolve install.

Without knowing if you are on Windows or Mac, I can't even give you a basic process for doing a clean install.

You can search the forum for clean install, as I've described the process for Mac and Windows many times.
Dwaine Maggart

nadia_0730

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 3:03 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Nadia: Unfortunately, your LogArchive folder is empty. It should contain the last 5 good logs and the last 5 crash logs. Without those logs, I have nothing to compare the current log to, to see what's going on.

However, Resolve seems to be hanging while loading Red Giant OFX files.

So all I can suggest, as a test, is to do the following, and see if Resolve will start:

In a Windows File Explorer window, go to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX

In that folder, you'll see a folder called Plugins. Rename the folder to Plugins.tmp

There is no folder called OFX. Anything else you recommend doing?

rolo95

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi Dwaine,
i got same problem
here are my machine .NFO and davinci dump

https://we.tl/t-GHce4oEqtn

Thanks

teAr ringer deg

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Dwaine, I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled DaVinci 16. When I click on it, it starts to open, and then immediately closes. I watched DaVinci in the Task manager appear and then disappear.

Here are links to an nfo file and a dxdiag file:

.nfo file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GBDTtu ... sp=sharing
DxDiag: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1taW ... sp=sharing

I'm on a PC.

Could you please advise?

Thank you.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 6:27 pm

@Rolo: For an NVIDIA GPU, Resolve requires one with a minimum CUDA Compute Capability of 3.0.

Your 9800 GT has a CUDA Compute Capability of 1.1. So it's not going to work. You'll need a better GPU.

@Ari, we also need a Resolve log file. In a File Explorer window, go to:

and run CaptureLogs

Dwaine Maggart

rolo95

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 pm

Does a GT 1050Ti qualify ?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 2:07 am

rolo95 wrote:Does a GT 1050Ti qualify ?

If you really mean a GTX 1080ti then yes. but you need the appropriate GPU driver as per the Nvidia support site.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 6:56 am

A GTX 1050Ti is fine for HD work and light 4K work. That's the card I have in my z420.

Ideally, if you plan to do 4K work, a card with more VRAM would be preferred, such as the GTX 1080Ti Peter mentioned.
Dwaine Maggart

pasaluart

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 5:03 pm

I have a solution .I had a similar problem with Resolve. When I tried to launch the program it would just create a background (Resolve.exe) process running in the background with a couple of hundred of mb of ram used. But the actual program won't launch. But also I started getting an error in Premiere Pro (something like "error retrieving frame ****" and so on) so the solution I found for that was to uninstall the Intel Graphics Driver which you can do by going into Device Manager>Display Adapters>Intel Display adapter(right click then uninstall)Then you go and the easy way to install the right intel display adapter is just search on google : How to manually install your Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10. Open the link from helpx.adobe and just follow the steps. This solved the problem I had with Premiere Pro and the Davinci Resolve not launching problem! Hope it helps

teAr ringer deg

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 4:19 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:

@Ari, we also need a Resolve log file. In a File Explorer window, go to:

and run CaptureLogs

Hello Dwaine,

I'm sorry, but there was an error creating the zip file. While the batch file created a dialogue box stating that the .zip file was created, the message at the command prompt says there was an error creating the file. If you would like, you can see the message that I got at this link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtsWE3o-oLYLggRI6Py ... W?e=wxi8Pv

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 7:03 pm

I would guess you have your Desktop on a dreaded OneDrive volume, which causes CaptureLogs to fail.

If this is the case, unzip the attached file, and place the CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat file in this folder:

And then run CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat
Attachments
CaptureLogsOneDrive.zip
(903 Bytes) Downloaded 156 times
Dwaine Maggart

yamem123456

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi, i was wondering to get some extra information about my current problem: when the program is starting, after the message "looking for control surface" the program crash automatically. In this link you can find my system information and the DavinciResolve's logs.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thank you very much in advance

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 1:50 am

Your laptop doesn't meet our minimum recommended memory spec of 16GB, but 8GB will probably work to some extent.

It's crashing due to the AMD graphics. The AMD driver you currently have installed is very old. That's most likely the issue. Sadly, the Acer driver download for your R5 M430 GPU is even older than the one you have installed.

You might try using the AMD "Auto-Detect and Install Radeon™ Graphics Drivers for Windows" app on the AMD Support page and install what it recommends and see if that helps. Your GPU has OpenCL 1.2 support, so should probably work, if you find the right driver:

https://www.amd.com/en/support
Dwaine Maggart

yamem123456

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi! Thank you very much for the fast answer! Now the program is running without any conveniences (as far I'm using it for). Thank you for the outstanding support!

teAr ringer deg

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 11:16 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I would guess you have your Desktop on a dreaded OneDrive volume, which causes CaptureLogs to fail.

If this is the case, unzip the attached file, and place the CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat file in this folder:

And then run CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat

Thank you, Dwaine. Will you please now look at my log/s? You will find them at:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtsWE3o-oLYLsW79wy9 ... v?e=9FZfFv

Thank you

clarke.inverary

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi,

I am having the same issue where I can't Launch Davinci Resolve Windows 10, however it has launched prior.
Attachments
crash_archive.zip
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Disconnect any USB or BlueTooth connected peripherals, except for a wired USB keyboard and mouse. I see you have some sort of wireless Headset/Mic. Disconnect that.

Does that help? It not, disconnect your web cam. Does that help?

If not, temporarily turn off the firewall, assuming its enabled. You should disconnect the computers network cable before doing that. Does that help?
Dwaine Maggart

teAr ringer deg

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Disconnect any USB or BlueTooth connected peripherals, except for a wired USB keyboard and mouse. I see you have some sort of wireless Headset/Mic. Disconnect that.

Does that help? It not, disconnect your web cam. Does that help?

If not, temporarily turn off the firewall, assuming its enabled. You should disconnect the computers network cable before doing that. Does that help?

Hello, Dwaine,

I didn't know if this was for me, so I just tried it and it worked. Than you!
Can I run DaVinci with my peripherals plugged in now, or should I always disconnect everything while using?

Thank you again, Dwaine,

Ari

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 5:24 pm

I would suggest reconnecting stuff one at a time, to see which device is actually causing the Resolve hang.

When you find that device, it would seem it will need to remain unconnected when you wish to use Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart

teAr ringer deg

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I would suggest reconnecting stuff one at a time, to see which device is actually causing the Resolve hang.

When you find that device, it would seem it will need to remain unconnected when you wish to use Resolve.

Great, thank you. Pending anything unforeseen, I consider this matter, well, you know.

Ari

ouiareborg

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 12:29 am

ON a Mac, but this doesn't say Windows only and can't find a Mac thread. Macbook Pro 16inch with 8GB on an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M. 32GB ram, i7 6-core. Looking for Control Surface. Free version installs fine. When first installing, I accidentally installed the Panel software and it hung up looking for them. That was 2 uninstalls ago. After deleting all files pertaining to Resolve. This is version 16.0 that came with camera. Any help is appreciated. Have been looking for awhile and this seems to be predominantly a Windows issue, but it's a mess.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:24 am

ouiareborg wrote:ON a Mac, but this doesn't say Windows only and can't find a Mac thread. Macbook Pro 16inch with 8GB on an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M. 32GB ram, i7 6-core. Looking for Control Surface. Free version installs fine. When first installing, I accidentally installed the Panel software and it hung up looking for them. That was 2 uninstalls ago. After deleting all files pertaining to Resolve. This is version 16.0 that came with camera. Any help is appreciated. Have been looking for awhile and this seems to be predominantly a Windows issue, but it's a mess.

Claude, try downloading v16.2.5 from the BMD support web site.
If you have an activation key, make sure you download the studio version.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ouiareborg

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
ouiareborg wrote:ON a Mac, but this doesn't say Windows only and can't find a Mac thread. Macbook Pro 16inch with 8GB on an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M. 32GB ram, i7 6-core. Looking for Control Surface. Free version installs fine. When first installing, I accidentally installed the Panel software and it hung up looking for them. That was 2 uninstalls ago. After deleting all files pertaining to Resolve. This is version 16.0 that came with camera. Any help is appreciated. Have been looking for awhile and this seems to be predominantly a Windows issue, but it's a mess.

Claude, try downloading v16.2.5 from the BMD support web site.
If you have an activation key, make sure you download the studio version.

Thanks, it's working. Someone told me I'd need to get another key to do that, should have tried anyway. Thanks

Igor C

PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:21 pm

I am having a a similiar problem on my mac, I used to open and work on davinci but suddenly the app will no longer open and come with an error message. Here are the SPx and tgz docs your requested to help me solve this. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VQGwqj ... fvBXm/view?
usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1N9HTbapQiWI1NMAt90GJpG8VXQTN4dIY/view?usp=sharing

Igor C

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 1:47 am

My mac wont open the davinci anymore after updating to Cartalina 10.15.6
Can anyone help me how to get this fixed? I tried re-installing davinci, and I read all the guidelines here but I still cant get this fixed. Please help.
tgz:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wyRhnq ... sp=sharing

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
Boot ROM Version: 1037.147.4.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.16610.0.0,0)

Hardware UUID: 421C541C-8572-5F1C-BE96-A333DEC1F511
Activation Lock Status: Enabled

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 6:51 pm

Your config.dat file has gotten corrupted. There is a good backup copy available. Copying that in place of the corrupt file should solve the issue.

Your reinstall efforts have removed all the good logs, so the following is my best guess of where to look for the config files:

/Users/igorcorrea/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve

In that folder you'll see a config.dat and a config.dat.bak file.

Delete the config.dat file.

Duplicate the config.dat.bak file. Rename the duplicate file to config.dat

Your .config.data file is also corrupt, but I think that will get regenerated properly after fixing config.dat

If Resolve still won't launch after fixing config.dat, then delete .config.data, duplicate .config.data.bak and rename that duplicate to .config.data

If none of that helps, please provide another Resolve log file.
Dwaine Maggart

MartineB

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I'm having the same issue which has been reported here frequently. It suddenly stopped working.
I've already tried many of the tips given here, drivers are up to date etc.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

These should be the requested documents.
Thanks in advance!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 10:03 pm

It's an issue with the Intel HD530 driver.

It looks like the one you have came from Microsoft, probably around the same timeframe you started having the issue.

I would recommend you go to the HP support site, and download the Intel Graphics driver they recommend for your ZBook Studio G3 laptop.

If that doesn't help, please post another Resolve log and NFO after installing the HP driver.
Dwaine Maggart

MartineB

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 6:22 pm

Hi Dwaine,

We installed the newer driver from HP but it is still not working. I uploaded the files again to the same place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WXY7eS ... sp=sharing
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve