Fail to launch if live-save drive removed?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

G0bble

Fail to launch if live-save drive removed?

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi Folks
So I had an E: drive set to the destination for Live-Save that happen automatically. While upgrading my PSU just now the sata pin connector broke off (it was a cheap m.2/Sata enclosure). So that drive is no longer available until a replacement enclosure arrives. Now I find that Resolve does not even display the splash screen or launch - but only for the Win10 user that had any projects saved. If I login as another user Resolve works fine. It looks like Resolve it attempting to restore the last-known good state of the project during launch and when the drive is not found it fails to launch.

Any suggestions on how to work around this?

Thanks

Edit: When I try to capture logs this is what I get now:
Code: Select all
The system cannot find the drive specified.
        zip warning: name not matched: Support\logs
        zip warning: name not matched: Preferences
        zip warning: name not matched: Support\crash_archive.txt

zip error: Nothing to do! (C:/Users/Owl/Desktop/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-_234718.zip)
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

G0bble

Re: Fail to launch if live-save drive removed?

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 4:33 pm

I think this has to do with my Resolve DB residing in the now unplugged drive in %APPDATA%/Roaming.old subfolders. Many months back I had tried unsuccessfully to move my %APPDATA% to the E drive which broke many built-in apps like MSFT Photos, Calculator etc. I copied the AppData stuff back to C drive after clearing space on the boot drive but somehow my %APPDATA% still points to the E drive - verifying both the registry entries or using the Computer-Management>System-Properties Applet to use %USERPROFILE% as the path predicate (Whjch points to C:users\<user>) is not changing the reference to the E drive. I dont remember what I did many moons back to change this to the E drive now. :roll:

I have successfully restored the unplugged drive but now I get the dreaded stuck-on-loading-farlight-splash-screen problem. I will post in the other thread about this problem.
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

Return to DaVinci Resolve