Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

RayTraced in Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mohammad Ali

RayTraced in Fusion

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 am

Peace everyone

I have 2 Questions:
Is there any way to make fusion supports raytracing ??
How to control roughness in materials in fusion ??

Thanks

michael vorberg

Re: RayTraced in Fusion

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:38 am

You can write a plugin which supports a raytracing renderer.
But AFAIK nobody has done this for a recent version of fusion.

I experimented a long time ago with this and it is possible to integrate external render engines into fusion

UserNoah

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:45 am

There is a thread in the Otoy forum which states that Fusion will receive an Octane plugin. But that will take some time

rsf123

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 pm

After the launch of the Nvidia 3000 series, does the Blackmagic Design community have any comments on whether raytracing plays a part in making decisions on which GPU to use for Davinci Resolve, particularly Fusion?

Is Raytracing something that BMD can tweak Fusion to take more advantage of Nvidia and AMD's raytracing?

Bryan Ray

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 1:56 am

Thus far, we've heard no word from BMD about improvements to the 3d system. Last I checked (back in June or thereabouts, I think) there also hadn't been any word on progress toward the Octane plug-in.

However, I can say that a raytraced renderer is something that's been requested a large number of times, so I expect it's on the roadmap somewhere. No telling how far away it'll be, though, nor whether it will be accompanied by other 3d improvements.

Personally, I'm hoping that Fusion can be retooled to take advantage of Universal Scene Description (USD), which would give it access to several renderers as well as a number of other advantages.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

UserNoah

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 6:38 am

I'm also for USD. I'm sure it would be a huge undertaking but if they ever plan to modernize Fusions 3D Space I would hope that they implement USD as it's going to be the
future of Scene descriptions and a standard across all applications that are somewhat connected to Film and VFX.

It would make bringing cameras or 3D geometry into Fusion very easy and you theoretically could gain access to a wide range of render engines.
And (if we are able to modify/create USD Files and not just read) we would finally get geometry instancing in Fusion, which is something I'm missing for quite some time now.

So yes, I'm really really hoping that the devs seriously consider USD as the new backbone of 3D in Fusion.

Return to Fusion