Some stills from the Ursa Mini Pro 12K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Note Suwanchote

Some stills from the Ursa Mini Pro 12K

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:02 am

Here are some stills from the Ursa Mini Pro 12K. Shots with people in them coming at a later time.
I'm extremely impressed with the details and colors that you can get from this camera.
I think the team at BMD has achieved something really special.

I found the dynamic range to be incredible. The flexibility of the files is something that stands out when you start grading. The 14 stops is a bit conservative from my impressions.

UPDATED 8-18-2020
ImageUrsa Mini Pro 12: Twilight by Note S., on Flickr

ImageUrsa Mini Pro 12K: Evening Light by Note S., on Flickr

Original
Shot with the Sigma 18-35mm.

ImageUrsa Mini Pro 12K by Note S., on Flickr

ImageUrsa Mini Pro 12K by Note S., on Flickr

ImageUrsa Mini Pro 12K 2x Anamorphic by Note S., on Flickr

2x Anamorphic on Nikon 85mm 1.8 non-ai with Isco Ultra Star Red
Last edited by Note Suwanchote on Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:04 am, edited 9 times in total.
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

jack0429

Re: Some stills from the Ursa Mini Pro 12K

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:51 am

Will there be any original 12k stills uploaded?

jallen0

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 11:44 am

I saw your post on Facebook. I think the image is impressive in that you used the Sigma 18-35 lens on an EF mount for these shots. Looking forward to seeing more!
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Brad Hurley

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm

jallen0 wrote:I saw your post on Facebook. I think the image is impressive in that you used the Sigma 18-35 lens on an EF mount for these shots. Looking forward to seeing more!

My most-disliked lens, but you (and the Ursa 12K) made it do beautiful things.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Adam Langdon

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Looks incredibly 3D!
Can’t wait to see some motion.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Note Suwanchote

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 5:38 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
jallen0 wrote:I saw your post on Facebook. I think the image is impressive in that you used the Sigma 18-35 lens on an EF mount for these shots. Looking forward to seeing more!

My most-disliked lens, but you (and the Ursa 12K) made it do beautiful things.

Much appreciated. I was surprised at how this lens interacted with the Ursa Mini Pro 12K.

Adam Langdon wrote:Looks incredibly 3D! Can’t wait to see some motion.

Thanks Adam! I agree.

jack0429 wrote:Will there be any original 12k stills uploaded?

Possibly in the future!
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

timbutt2

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Saw and commented on the Facebook, but wanted to again praise the images! Although my first plan is to upgrade my EF glass to PL glass so that I can just rent PL glass from here on out without need to change the mount, I'm very impressed with the fact that this is the 18-35 Sigma EF. I have that lens, so I know that it holds up on the 12K now.

I'd love to see more and especially in motion. I'd be very interested to see moving imagery with some really nice lenses like the Cookes. I have a local studio that has them. Would love to see how well the 12K resolves gorgeous Cooke glass.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Note Suwanchote

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 3:11 am

timbutt2 wrote:Saw and commented on the Facebook, but wanted to again praise the images! Although my first plan is to upgrade my EF glass to PL glass so that I can just rent PL glass from here on out without need to change the mount, I'm very impressed with the fact that this is the 18-35 Sigma EF. I have that lens, so I know that it holds up on the 12K now.

I'd love to see more and especially in motion. I'd be very interested to see moving imagery with some really nice lenses like the Cookes. I have a local studio that has them. Would love to see how well the 12K resolves gorgeous Cooke glass.

I'm surprised at how well the Sigma holds up. I have some shots in anamorphic with a Milvus that I may put up soon.

Yeah the motion on this camera is amazing. It's something people don't talk about but in 8K it's RSI times are incredible.
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Ryan Earl

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Great images Note, looking forward to more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Langdon

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 6:51 pm

Note, please post some anamorphic stills! Can’t wait to try that out.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Note Suwanchote

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 9:38 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Note, please post some anamorphic stills! Can’t wait to try that out.

updated with anamorphic
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Adam Langdon

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 10:45 pm

Just beautiful. Thanks!
s35 really is the perfect sensor size, IMO.

jallen0

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 11:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing some video when you are allowed. See how it all stays together.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

visalapol

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am

Can URSA 12K take singel still image inside camera? What is the file type or you need to grab Still inside Davinci resolve?

Piotr Naumowicz

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Impressive. Most Impressive.
Looks like this camera will be something special. I love the tonality and colour. Even with a cheap lens, the image looks stunning.

This is a first camera in a while that makes my heart beat faster.

I would love to see those shots in motion.

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 2:14 pm

While the pixel density on this camera is probably the maximum for S-35 where you can still see a difference between the best lenses and the second best, what's wrong with using older glass if it fits the look you're after?
See this article, which was already linked around here:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/10 ... d-sensors/

Oh, and the Sigma 18-35mm is pretty good glass, but It's so sad that the EF mount is not locking properly.
I hope someone will construct a better one for the UMP 12K.

You can always export a single frame under the Camera Raw tab in Resolve, but it'll be BRAW. Since you may want to grade it anyway, you can use the export possibilities in the Stills Gallery. But maybe one of the image processing softwares will get BRAW import? After all, the SDK is free.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Chris Shivers

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Note Suwanchote wrote:I found the dynamic range to be incredible. The flexibility of the files is something that stands out when you start grading. The 14 stops is a bit conservative from my impressions.

So what you're saying is that it has better dynamic range than the ursa mini pro G2?

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 9:59 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Looks incredibly 3D!

I agree. The IQ is tight and it seem to have some unexplainable depth to it. It was the same with the 12k shot that JB did, where the woman is moving towards the chair beside the water. Its hard to put a finger on it, but there is a subliminal depth that reminds me of larger sensor cameras. Like Hasselblad or phase one. Interesting.

John Brawley

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 am

visalapol wrote:Can URSA 12K take singel still image inside camera? What is the file type or you need to grab Still inside Davinci resolve?

There’s a great feature in Resolve where you can export a single frame.

What’s strange is I’ve emailed screen shots of frame from resolve and the exported frame itself is smaller.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Kholi Hicks

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 1:13 am

Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:

I agree. The IQ is tight and it seem to have some unexplainable depth to it. It was the same with the 12k shot that JB did, where the woman is moving towards the chair beside the water. Its hard to put a finger on it, but there is a subliminal depth that reminds me of larger sensor cameras. Like Hasselblad or phase one. Interesting.

I love this comment. During the first moments with the camera, that was the one thing that stood out to me. It has such a "large" look to it, no matter which glass you have on it (so far). Roman and I talk about this quite often—just about daily.

I would like to know what it is and how to define the "effect". Is it purely the 80MP sensor? Is it the 80MP sensor minus an OLPF? I wish there were a way to test those things but I'm sure someone will figure it out!

@Note — nice shootin'
Kholi Hicks

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 2:23 am

John Brawley wrote:What’s strange is I’ve emailed screen shots of frame from resolve and the exported frame itself is smaller.

JB
Perhaps the still frames will only export at the size defined in the project and/or timeline?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 2:29 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
John Brawley wrote:What’s strange is I’ve emailed screen shots of frame from resolve and the exported frame itself is smaller.

JB
Perhaps the still frames will only export at the size defined in the project and/or timeline?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've found this to be the case. You have to change the timeline settings to match.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

John Brawley

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 2:34 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:

JB
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Finder screen shots.

Not timeline frame grabs.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Note Suwanchote

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 3:23 am

Kholi Hicks wrote:
Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:

I love this comment. During the first moments with the camera, that was the one thing that stood out to me. It has such a "large" look to it, no matter which glass you have on it (so far). Roman and I talk about this quite often—just about daily.

I would like to know what it is and how to define the "effect". Is it purely the 80MP sensor? Is it the 80MP sensor minus an OLPF? I wish there were a way to test those things but I'm sure someone will figure it out!

@Note — nice shootin'
Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:

Yeah! This is what’s surprising to me. There’s a dimensionality to it and there’s a larger format feel. Something special here! I think this it translates very well in motion.

Chris Shivers wrote:
Note Suwanchote wrote:I found the dynamic range to be incredible. The flexibility of the files is something that stands out when you start grading. The 14 stops is a bit conservative from my impressions.

So what you're saying is that it has better dynamic range than the ursa mini pro G2?

It’s similar from my use. It “feels” easier to grade from my impressions so far. The color response is very fluid.

Piotr Naumowicz wrote:Impressive. Most Impressive.
Looks like this camera will be something special. I love the tonality and colour. Even with a cheap lens, the image looks stunning.

This is a first camera in a while that makes my heart beat faster.

I would love to see those shots in motion.

Ryan Earl wrote:Great images Note, looking forward to more.

Thank you!
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 am

Yes. I have always assumed that large look is mainly inherited because of larger sensor, but now I start questioning that…

Basically, we can emulate the scope of larger sensor by using other lenses recorded on smaller sensor. That’s not new, but the main effect seems to only simulate correct FOV and DOP without making it “larger” in that sense. That’s the notion.

Now in the celluloid days we didn’t relate to pixels… Naturally the large format film stocks did receive more information, because of its bigger surface to render the image. Let’s imagen for a minute that we could magically double the rendered information on a 35mm film stock. How would that look projected to the silver screen… Like 70mm? With digital sensors we can render more information on a tiny space as the technology evolves. That was not the case on celluloid since we stopped developing it.

The design of the sensor, how the pixels are arranged and translate the light, should also be mentioned here. It could be that is the main reason of what we are seeing. Arri always talk about better pixels, not necessarily more. We also see that the new A7sIII can deliver 4k images look as good as 8k from other cameras. But it might be that BM have made something that combine both worlds. Better and more pixels. A smaller sensor that delivers rich large format feel will also be revolutionary because of the possibilities with more lens chooses. The cost ratio will have a huge impact for many of us. Hope they can deliver something like this on a smaller size camera.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 8:40 am

My guess is that the white pixels covering true luminance add to the perceived dimensional depth, like a bump map in 3D animation. And the high res and CFA of the sensor amplifies the lens characteristics but without adding its own sensor characteristics too much - so it might be a more neutral sensor than the other BM sensors before.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am

Interesting thoughts Robert.

If I understand you correctly. It could be something with the white pixels and the combination that there are so many pixels (12K) that the whole image acts like a true RGB sensor when downscaled to lower resolution. But in this case, you have added a white sub-pixel not normally present in a standard RGB sensor. Thus, making a deeper textured image with the benefit of clarifying details in richer, not sharper, way. This is not logical when shooting at lower resolution, but at higher resolution both surprising and somehow strangely logical.

As I mentioned in another forum. Someone should make a 70mm IMAX, vs URSA12K, vs ARRI-65 comparison test. That would be interesting…

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 am

Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:Interesting thoughts Robert.

If I understand you correctly. It could be something with the white pixels and the combination that there are so many pixels (12K) that the whole image acts like a true RGB sensor when downscaled to lower resolution. But in this case, you have added a white sub-pixel not normally present in a standard RGB sensor. Thus, making a deeper textured image with the benefit of clarifying details in richer, not sharper, way. This is not logical when shooting at lower resolution, but at higher resolution both surprising and somehow strangely logical.

Exactly. Normally with a Bayer sensor you would get less texture the darker the shadows. But the white (or clear) pixels do see more into the shadows without interpolation like with green pixels. So you get more defined depth in the dark parts (which also won't get smeared away that easy by compression).
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:Interesting thoughts Robert.

Exactly. Normally with a Bayer sensor you would get less texture the darker the shadows. But the white (or clear) pixels do see more into the shadows without interpolation like with green pixels. So you get more defined depth in the dark parts (which also won't get smeared away that easy by compression).

Yes I see your point. Its hard to put a finger on, but I believe we now witness a sensor that deliver superior shadow rolloff. When looking at the first image, masterfully done by Note btw. It’s like the whole area is lit by a massive soft box even though we see its obviously lit by a much harder golden hour sun. There is a perfect smooth transition between the shadow area and midtones, which is often hard to achieve without adding fill light. The information is there.

Note, bring on some more caps. inspiring stuff ;)

Adam Langdon

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:Yes I see your point. Its hard to put a finger on, but I believe we now witness a sensor that deliver superior shadow rolloff. When looking at the first image, masterfully done by Note btw. It’s like the whole area is lit by a massive soft box even though we see its obviously lit by a much harder golden hour sun. There is a perfect smooth transition between the shadow area and midtones, which is often hard to achieve without adding fill light. The information is there.

I think that's it, or at least it feels completely unique. I still want to see some high contrast (highlight roll-off) stuff, but the fact that both ends of the DR look REALLY nice.... its really something special.

Note Suwanchote

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:46 am

lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Note Suwanchote wrote:I have some shots in anamorphic with a Milvus that I may put up soon.

I'm shooting a feature film at the end of September, using Scorpiolens anamorphics.
That's some damn fine glas - very unique look, pretty much all the benefits of the wide format, without the artifacts. Flares are there, but very discreet, almost round bokeh, no distortion.

Would love to test those on the 12K.

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

timbutt2

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:43 pm

Note Suwanchote wrote:Added some more shots.

ImageUrsa Mini Pro 12: Twilight by Note S., on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jxMvym]ImageUrsa Mini Pro 12K: Evening Light by Note S., on Flickr
Stop making me regret choosing new lenses and a new computer over the 12K! Haha.

Seriously love these frames. As I said on Instagram, the one with his back to the camera has such a dream like quality to it. I really will need to upgrade to this camera in the future.

But the new DZOFILM Pictor lenses are the first thing to get paid off. Then the desktop computer upgrade needs to happen since mine is getting to 5-years in age.

Adam Langdon

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Those beach shots look REALLY great! Would you be able to post an ungraded still?

Dan Cotreau

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:03 pm

These look great! Thanks for sharing Note.

timbutt2 - What are your thoughts on DZOFILM Pictor lenses? I have been curious about those and the new Lawoa Cinema Zoom as well. I would love to see how any of these new budget cine lenses pair with the Ursa 12K.

It is difficult to define, but there is just something I really like in the footage coming from this new sensor.

Note Suwanchote

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:25 pm

Dan Cotreau wrote:These look great! Thanks for sharing Note.

timbutt2 - What are your thoughts on DZOFILM Pictor lenses? I have been curious about those and the new Lawoa Cinema Zoom as well. I would love to see how any of these new budget cine lenses pair with the Ursa 12K.

It is difficult to define, but there is just something I really like in the footage coming from this new sensor.

I agree. There is something special there!

Adam Langdon wrote:Those beach shots look REALLY great! Would you be able to post an ungraded still?
Hey Adam, I'm afraid not. Sorry about that!

timbutt2 wrote:
Note Suwanchote wrote:Added some more shots.

Stop making me regret choosing new lenses and a new computer over the 12K! Haha.

Seriously love these frames. As I said on Instagram, the one with his back to the camera has such a dream like quality to it. I really will need to upgrade to this camera in the future.

But the new DZOFILM Pictor lenses are the first thing to get paid off. Then the desktop computer upgrade needs to happen since mine is getting to 5-years in age.
You ordered them?

lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

timbutt2

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Note Suwanchote wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:But the new DZOFILM Pictor lenses are the first thing to get paid off. Then the desktop computer upgrade needs to happen since mine is getting to 5-years in age.

You ordered them?

Yes, I did. Waiting for B&H to get them from the manufacturer since it's still Pre-Order for the Bundle. I ordered the Black Bundle. First batch was shipped out earlier this week. Can't wait to get them and test them out.
Dan Cotreau wrote:timbutt2 - What are your thoughts on DZOFILM Pictor lenses? I have been curious about those and the new Lawoa Cinema Zoom as well. I would love to see how any of these new budget cine lenses pair with the Ursa 12K.
I'm pretty excited to get mine and test them out. So far I'm very sold from all the demo footage. What really excites me most is parfocal with near zero focus breathing at the focal range they offer. I'm hoping to get them just before the St. Pete Fashion Week Runway Show on September 12th. I'll configure them both as EF to use on the UMPG2 and the UM4.6K for the show. But I also love the fact that they are interchangeable lens mount by design. So, I'll try to use them as PL as much as possible.

Nearing finish on this feature film I'm color grading. And, I've started receiving the interval paychecks for the recent club shoot. All this easily pays off the rest of the money owed on the Steadicam and the lenses. Plus I have some other money from other shoots owed and other shoots on the books. So, after bills I'll start getting everything in order for the iMac Upgrade. Once that's paid off maybe I'll start saving for the 12K.

James Harkness

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 1:30 pm

dang never thought I would want this camera until I seen those beach shots...

Dan Cotreau

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 5:09 pm

Timbutt2 Wrote
I'm pretty excited to get mine and test them out. So far I'm very sold from all the demo footage. What really excites me most is parfocal with near zero focus breathing at the focal range they offer. I'm hoping to get them just before the St. Pete Fashion Week Runway Show on September 12th. I'll configure them both as EF to use on the UMPG2 and the UM4.6K for the show. But I also love the fact that they are interchangeable lens mount by design. So, I'll try to use them as PL as much as possible.

I am excited to see some of your footage and hear your thoughts in the after you have had a chance to give them a spin!

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Note Suwanchote wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:I'm surprised at how well the Sigma holds up.

Hi Note:

Sorry if this info is in the thread, but are these stills from 6K resolution?

Also, how did you focus/check your focus? Is it just me or are some of the shots really soft (e.g., the man on the beach)? Frames looks great. Please post more :-)

Thanks

Return to Cinematography