Multiple monitor set up improvement ideas

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

RichardP

Multiple monitor set up improvement ideas

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 10:56 pm

I currently have 2x 23" Eizo 1080p monitors side by side. I'm editing more 4k now and also want to get more involved in colouring so I really need at least one 4k monitor. I don't want to lose the dual screen layout so with the new clean feed option i was hoping the solution would be to get a 3rd maybe 32" 4k monitor to put above the 2 i have. Stop me at any point that seems like a bad idea and tell me why please. Neck strain potential was one that occurred to me.

Nothing in the resolve manual about clean feed settings and from the forum it seems if the main screens are HD the clean feed will only show a HD image using 1/4 of a 4k screen even if the timeline is 4k. Is it true there is no way to make that happen? How do people set up a reference/client monitor? Other places seem to suggest using external video link hardware is still required? Maybe I should get 2x 27" 4K monitors and sell the 23" ones and forget the 3rd monitor? I like the text size on these 23" HD monitors though...

The more i look into this the more confused i get so it seemed time to ask the forum. Thanks for any help

RichardP

Re: Multiple monitor set up improvement ideas

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 am

Just to bump this a little, it was near the bottom of the page by the time it was approved. Unless I can work out a better option I'm thinking the compromise position is replace the 23" HD monitors with 2 the same QHD 27" and forget the 3rd monitor idea. Looking at the not quite available yet Asus proart PA278QV which seem like great value for money if the spec is anything to go by. I can't afford 2x 4K and no space for 2x 32" which the consensus says is minimum size for 4k as the text in resolve isn't scaleable

I was hoping I could just stick a 4k TV up above my HD GUI monitors, cable from the GPU, turn it on and be viewing the 4K output as i go along :roll:

RichardP

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm

Ah well I gave up on getting a bigger screen for a clean feed and invested in colour accuracy of the same resolution instead, ordered a nearly new Eizo CG247X to use as a reference monitor. Maybe resolve will make it possible to have a clean feed monitor with a different resolution one day in an update and i can think of it again.

RealSting

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 2:01 pm

RichardP wrote:Ah well I gave up on getting a bigger screen for a clean feed and invested in colour accuracy of the same resolution instead, ordered a nearly new Eizo CG247X to use as a reference monitor. Maybe resolve will make it possible to have a clean feed monitor with a different resolution one day in an update and i can think of it again.
That’s ok if you want to use only a 24” monitor. As I understand it EIZO don’t make an equivalent 27”. In my experience 27” is optimal and makes a significant viewing difference over a 24”. However, EIZO are known for good colour accuracy (overall) so it’s a trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

RichardP

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 3:08 pm

yes a trade off. In the end i think i was right to decide colour accuracy was more important than size, it was a choice between the 2 things for the same price, can't have both. It was tempting to think those 27" asus monitors would be up to it when reading the impressive specs but even my old low end Eizo's have proved themselves to be good quality screens over a long life. The highest end model will surely be much better quality than the asus.

Having another 24" monitor for a full screen clean feed will be a significant improvement over my current set up. I'll just have to keep zooming in to check sharpness for another few years :roll:

Simon Maxwell

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 3:19 pm

I didn't see this post but was having a similar debate with myself for the last 6 months. I ended up with this solution. Imac, Panasonic GZ950 calibrated for colouring, and 2 x LG 24" ultrafine monitors, 1 for dual screen the other for the clean feed out of resolve. Took me ages to work this all out.

One of the reasons i ended up with the LG's is the thunderbolt connections as i'm using an egpu pro to power up my iMac. I also have a 4k mini monitor so i needed the TB3 ports to get everything working together.

Happily it's all running now but what a headache! I went through many different possible configurations and monitor options to get here! Hope it works for you.

Cheers
http://storyboardvisuals.co.uk

jallen0

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 4:15 pm

I am planning on the following: 2 LG Ultrafine 5K monitors out via thunderbolt for editing. I will use a Ultrastudio 4K Mini and that pathway will be thunderbolt to 4K mini with the HDMI output going to a LG C8 OLED 55" monitor and the SDI output going to a EZIO ColorEdge CG319X 31" monitor for critical color correction.

I am planning on using ScopeBox however I am not quite sure how to get a clean feed into the machine that will run that yet. I was thinking initially I could use the newly announced UltraStudio Recorder 3G and use the second SDI out of the 4K mini...but then I just realized that I would be coming in via thunderbolt to the second machine and I am not positive that qualifies as a clean feed.

Does anyone know?
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Return to Post Production