Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

A way to distort using noise? (old school motion graphics)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dazzer

A way to distort using noise? (old school motion graphics)

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi folks,

Imagine i have some motion graphics created in Blender and have exported it to EXRs.

Now, in Fusion, i want a way to subtly distort this image, kinda like of you were watching TV by looking at the reflection on water. But i don't want "wave" like distortion, more random distortion moving over time.

The closest i got so far was using a tween node, with my image coming in on one side and some fast noise coming in the other side.
This gives some very interesting effects, but it's a bit too strong and unwieldy, and messes up the color / image.

Another analogy would be like old school animated motion graphics, where each hand drawn frame is slighty different, giving it a cool, imperfect, shaky look.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips and tricks?

Thanks!

Sander de Regt

Re: A way to distort using noise? (old school motion graphic

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Use the displace tool in the warp section and feed it whatever you want to create the distortion you want. It can do waves or wrinkles or semi-random heat distortion depending on what you feed it.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Dazzer

Re: A way to distort using noise? (old school motion graphic

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 8:43 pm

Ah, thanks, i dunno why but i tried that before and it didn't do anything, now i got it working, works really great!

Return to Fusion