2nd generation i7 CPU, is it enough for what?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gyorfitam

2nd generation i7 CPU, is it enough for what?

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 6:01 am

What a system like this is enough for in Resolve (editing and Fusion as well)? What can I expect? Would the Studio version make any difference in terms of performance?
i7-2600K
32GB DDR3 RAM
AMD RX 580 8GB
1TB SATA3 SSD
I checked the system recommendations but it doesn't mention anything about older configs and even the mentioned ones are quite confusing to me.
Which one is better? To have a system based on an older i7 or based on a newer i3?

John Griffin

Re: 2nd generation i7 CPU, is it enough for what?

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 7:19 am

Much depends on what your source footage is ( codec and format) and what timeline resolution you want to work in. Should be OK for HD esp if you overclock it (mine is still running strong after 9 years at 4.8ghz) but the 4 cores will limit it's ability to do much heavy lifting. I know Resolve uses the GPU but it also does use a lot of CPU resources.

Carsten Sellberg

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 7:23 am

Hi.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

The paid STUDIO version of Resolve can use hardware accelerated decode and encode, if your source video have certain codec, resolutions, bit width and Chroma subsampling.

Here is tree different links for Intel ( NON XEON ), nVidea and AMD Graphics Cards that support hardware acceleration of your video format.

nVidea have the best documentation, so let us begin with it. Here is a link:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-vid ... ECFeatures

If you click on 'Supported Format Details (Click to learn more)', then you see which Codec, Resolutions, Bit width and Chroma subsampling, that can be hardware accelerated.

Here is a link to Intel Quick Sync Video which is Intel's video encoding and decoding hardware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

And finally the newest. The AMD's Graphics Card had only support for hardware accelerated decode and encode since resolve version 16.0:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

If your Source Video always is hardware accelerated decoded with one of above cases can you use a CPU with less number of cores.

All videos that are NOT hardware accelerated decoded and encoded in one of the 3 above cases are decoded and encoded by the CPU, But it is several times slower.

And the i7-2600K is to old to use the above Intel Quick Sync.

But before I received my STUDIO Dongle, did I actually test Resolve with small clips of ProRes videos.
So I will expect you can do some thing in Resolve if you transcode to a more Resolve friendly codec first.
One that can use one of the possibilities for above hardware supported acceleration of your video format.
I did not try Fusion, and will not expect it to work very well, as it uses the CPU much.

But else will I recommend you to use a AMD Ryzen CPU and motherboard. And to choose a much stronger CPU.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

gyorfitam

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 am

Thanks for the answers.
For Fusion, I would like to do (mostly 2D) motion graphics - like animated pie charts, growing numbers, some vector shapes, etc. I would think these are not really resource heavy but maybe I'm wrong.
The source videos for editing would come from Panasonic GH5 footages, so it's H.264. It has H.265 in certain video modes but since I'm using the free version of Resolve at the moment I don't have access to 10bit colours, so I complete neglected this possibility - and as far as I know, it would perform even worse for editing than H.264.
For Resolve I would deliver mostly in 1080p but I need 4K as well from time to time so I would like the system work properly in a completely 4K workflow.
The system is quite unstable and I'm trying to figure out what's causing the issue - software or hardware failure or I'm just expecting too much.

Return to DaVinci Resolve