Weird firmware issue.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MatrixUK

Weird firmware issue.

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 2:06 am

So I just got my Atem Mini Pro today.

Plugged in via USB3 to USB2 lead into 2017 MBP 13". Downloaded 8.3 and was prompted to update software. The update stopped at 70% and said that it had failed, but the device seemed to work OK.

I then had the device working via USB ok into FaceTime and OBS.

Then it wouldn't work at all despite trying various leads. Would connect, I had control via Software Control but wouldn't work as a webcam.

Noticed then that firmware version in Atem Setup was 8.2.3 - despite repeated power cycles it now won't prompt me to update again.

The unit seems to work OK - will stream to facebook with the built in RTMP encoder. Works fine as webcam on old 2011 High Sierra MacBook Pro but seems very intermittent working as a webcam on the 2017 MBP running Mojave.

Is the webcam instability due to the failed software update? It's all a little strange as to why it would be so intermittent. Should the unit be showing 8.3 as the software version?

Any advice would be greatly received - does the unit have an intermittent fault that needs to be rectified?

Thanks in advance!

Simon

MatrixUK

Re: Weird firmware issue.

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 am

Not only that, this evening I plugged it in again to try some different streaming providers and the fan started and Mic 1's On button was flashing red!

A power cycle restored normality, but what on earth is going on? Seems a little temperamental ...

mjottii

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 12:58 am

I have this same exact problem. I cannot get it updated to 8.3 firmware via USBc or via ethernet. I am also experiencing the flaky operation.... once I removed the etehrnet and the USB from the switch -- it seemed to work as expected without the software control. But I am experiencing an audio delay from hdmi from a laptop.... Please advise -- how can I reset this firmware so it can be updated?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 5:04 pm

Hello. To enter the recovery mode, hold the upper left "On" button and apply power. You should then be able to apply a firmware update via USB connection and the ATEM Setup Utility.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

mjottii

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:16 pm

That worked! Thanks for that tip to reset. I was able to restore to 8.23. But I am on 8.3 software. The readme files seemed to indicate that the firmware would update to 8.3. do you know if the item mini pro should update to 8.3?

MatrixUK

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response.

It seems a few people have been saying that the ATEM Minis (both pro and non pro) don’t benefit from the 8.3 update and still remain in 8.2.3 - can you confirm whether this is correct or should we be seeing “8.3” when checking the firmware version in ATEM Setup?

Thanks very much!

Simon

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 9:43 pm

Hello Simon. The 8.3 was for the new ATEM Advanced panels. There is no change in the switchers. It normally doesn't hurt to try the update. What may be confusing to many is our software updates either do something or they don't do anything when connected to the device. If the software says "Up to Date', then the device is as far as it can go with that particular software version. The switchers don't return the actual internal version. The newer cameras do. Hope this helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MatrixUK

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 1:06 am

Hi Gary,

Ok having tried the update I still get the same thing - it'll get as far as 70%, sit there for a minute or two and then returns an "Update Failed" response.

The unit still works, but this is very confusing. Why is the update repeatedly failing?

Thanks very much,

Simon

MatrixUK

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 12:12 am

Hi Gary,

You still haven't answered my last question - I'd appreciate an answer please.

It's happened again today - I've updated the device with the latest update -

Downloaded 8.4 from the website, ran ATEM Setup, had the notice that the AMP needed updating so I selected to do so.

Installation gets to 70%, see my first image.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 00.58.19.png
Image 1
Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 00.58.19.png (87.12 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

A minute or so later, the ATEM Mini Pro restarts and seems to be ready to go.

About 2 minutes later, I get my second image warning me the update has failed.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 00.59.43.png
Image 2
Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 00.59.43.png (85.06 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

Low and behold however, it seems the device has updated, see third image - it's now 8.4

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 01.00.10.png
Image 3
Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 01.00.10.png (99.33 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

Why did I get the update failed message? Is this device a faulty one that needs replacing? (The fan can actually also sometimes be noisy on the software updates, it seems it's a little temperamental) Or does this happen with everyone? I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" from 2017 with macOS Mojave and a USBC lead. Is there any housekeeping that needs to be done within the update in that last 30%?

It's obviously cost me a reasonable amount of money, I'd like it to be working 100%.

Thanks very much,

Simon

MatrixUK

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 12:18 am

Oh and also, it's still intermittent with regard to working as a webcam - since the recent reboot the computer recognised it as ATEM Mini Pro - Recovery, but now its gone again. With a power cycle and plugging and unplugging the USB lead the MacBook is not seeing it as a webcam.

Fortunately I've not had to use it for a show yet, I'm just testing it, but it's very temperamental - is it likely to have EEPROM issues or something similar?

Thanks,

Simon

MatrixUK

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Guys, I’d really appreciate a response on this, if it’s a faulty unit can we please look at getting it replaced? If not, could you please respond anyway - it doesn’t seem to me like this would be typical behaviour for one of these units. (Certainly not the noisy fan)

Kind regards,

Simon

MatrixUK

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 2:06 am

Gary, could you please respond to this?

Thanks,

Simon

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 3:02 am

Hello Simon. You should contact Support in your region. They are best suited to help you.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MatrixUK

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks Gary, I’ve finally had a response to my support request.

Kind regards,

Simon

Stuart McRae

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 6:00 am

I had a problem with the update on an ATEM Mini Pro with a Win 7 laptop. It locked at 10%......twice. Having done another update on a different ATEM with a Win 10 64 laptop, I tried that laptop and it took the update. All is well.

Andrzej

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 8:03 pm

I have the same problem with ATEM Mini Extreme. I had installed Updated 8.6 and it asked for an update. When I clicked it failed twice and I got the flashing "MIC 1 on" button.

Andrzej

SOLVED Re: Weird firmware issue.

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 10:15 am

Hello Everyone,

My ATEM Mini Extreme stuck with the red "MIC 1 ON" button on or flashing. Uninstalling software didn't help. Here is what I did to fix the problem. I work on Windows 10.

-I install fresh software 8.6 on a completely different computer
-I connected the ATEM with a USB plug only.
-In the ATEM Setup, the new computer started to see the hardware. You can check the USB devices in your computer settings, in my case it said something like "BMD USB restore"
-In the ATEM Setup, I clicked to updated/restore button. The update failed again, but the button lights on the ATEM went on. So, I closed the window.
-I was able to see the ATEM on the ATEM Software Control after a short period of time
-The ATEM worked fine.
-I connected the ATEM to the previous computer also with Ethernet and it works fine now, too.

I think the fact I changed to a completely new computer and did update/restore only through USB fixed the problem.
Attachments
Update failed u 2021-04-07 101318 (2).jpg
Update failed u 2021-04-07 101318 (2).jpg (53.83 KiB) Viewed 2405 times

dani521

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 4:17 pm

do anyone have a dump of Atem Mini firmware from flash i have been stuck in update thread running no usb connection ,tried evrithing and on UART says-Update thread running tried with reset but usbfirmware updater not starting?

euraphaelleite

PostFri Oct 21, 2022 3:00 pm

Man, I have almost the same problem: my ATEM Mini Pro is stuck in the red button (top left), it is not recognized by any software, if I enter the recevery mode the ATEM Setup says it need a update but always get "update Failed". The ATEM does not work at all. It came out of the box like this, and I have no BMD support in my country (Brazil). Any ideas?

Return to Live Production