Shipping dates

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andy Smith

Re: Shipping dates

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 4:40 am

No new update=No new news. September is a write off. Hopefully October.

Kfhammond

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 5:18 am

Well, I guess the delay has allowed me (and others) to consider other options becoming available soon by more reliable companies. The Sony A99 is looking pretty neat, full-frame, 1080@60p, for $2800. And its also an amazing stills camera, which works really well for me, I enjoy getting a two for one. :)

Coralio Ballester

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 7:22 am

Andy Smith wrote:No new update=No new news. September is a write off. Hopefully October.

Dream on. These guys are just laughing at customers. Let's stop being politically correct.

Andreas Kaufmann

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 7:45 am

coralio1 wrote:
Andy Smith wrote:No new update=No new news. September is a write off. Hopefully October.

Dream on. These guys are just laughing at customers. Let's stop being politically correct.

These guys are laughing at customers?! That might be true for canon due to the last cameras they revealed.. I think they're doing fine.. way more support and answers than any other great brand name offers.. even if I get my camera in december would be fine..
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Coralio Ballester

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 8:29 am

AndiDieMaus wrote:
coralio1 wrote:

These guys are laughing at customers?! That might be true for canon due to the last cameras they revealed.. I think they're doing fine.. way more support and answers than any other great brand name offers.. even if I get my camera in december would be fine..

Let's wait and see when you get it... If ever

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 9:43 am

AndiDieMaus wrote:
coralio1 wrote:

Haha you're funny:)

Luca Salvatori

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 7:11 am

Look:

In italy bmcc are avaiable, "Disponibile" mean avaiable:

http://www.bl2.it/57-blackmagic-cinema-camera

i ask him on your facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/BL2Store

Look on the right (iam Luca with "heart" buddy icon)...
Cinematographer/Colorist

Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT 2.5K
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Panasonic HDC27H Varicam
Panasonic EVA1
Red Scarlet Dragon
Sony a7s

P+S Technik: 18/3 25/2.8 35/2 50/1.4 85/1.4

www.luca-salvatori.format.com

Jason Davis

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 9:28 am

Luca,

They are like most US distributors, they are going to tell you that the camera is going to ship the " next week " or " very soon " but in reality, they have no clue and no control over release and shipping. From what I understand, they have little to no more information than we, the end user, does. They just want you to preorder with the hopes of the camera being shipped soon, but as you can see by the comments on this thread, our hopes are all but dashed for a pre-November release.
Don't believe the hype just yet, Luca, the camera is not available for in-hand purchase.

Mikolaj Kepinski

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 9:59 am

Luca Salvatori wrote:Look:

In italy bmcc are avaiable, "Disponibile" mean avaiable:

http://www.bl2.it/57-blackmagic-cinema-camera

i ask him on your facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/BL2Store

Look on the right (iam Luca with "heart" buddy icon)...

the mft is also disponible so wyeah we will be waiting a long time ;)
Compendium Productions

Camera:
BMCC EF Warsaw/Lodz

Cinematographer
Mikolaj Kepinski
cell: Poland +48 691-724-210
Norway +47 400-45-046

http://www.compendium-productions.com

Luca Salvatori

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Jason Davis wrote:Luca,

They are like most US distributors, they are going to tell you that the camera is going to ship the " next week " or " very soon " but in reality, they have no clue and no control over release and shipping. From what I understand, they have little to no more information than we, the end user, does. They just want you to preorder with the hopes of the camera being shipped soon, but as you can see by the comments on this thread, our hopes are all but dashed for a pre-November release.
Don't believe the hype just yet, Luca, the camera is not available for in-hand purchase.

Thanks Jason...!

They want only money for preorder...

Im waiting another 15 days for make my order, im stuck with choice: "EF or MFT"...!And i need bmcc on march2013...
Cinematographer/Colorist

Panasonic HDC27H Varicam
Panasonic EVA1
Red Scarlet Dragon
Sony a7s

PetePolyakov

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 4:08 pm

i think bmd never had experience with these amount of the clients. not the pr department or the management of the company was prepared for it. but it's too late now, they just did the same thing that all vendors do.

Antonio Rosiello

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Do any of you have the fear that this camera will never get out, or better, that the request is so strong that maybe it will take 1 year to feed all the orders (and meanwhile, new raw video cameras will come out) ?

PetePolyakov

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 5:07 pm

i don't think that anybody have any type fears about it. just the situation is not clear, bmd suggests different versions what's going on last two months, we don't know that will happened with bmc. wish it will be better than now. but, will see, several other cameras is coming and if something we will have an options.

Bill Rich

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Not at all! I am seeing more and more videos shot with the BMCC.. Yes is seems like they are creeping out of BMD one at a time at the moment.. but I have faith that once they sort out.. well.. what ever needed sorting.. I'll get mine. It's not a question of 'If'.. but "when".. I'm hoping in the upcoming month... (knocking on wood)
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

PetePolyakov

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 5:18 pm

we can't discuss about someone's faith. i prefer discuss about something out of metaphysics.

simonkn

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 pm

I'd still put my money on the problem part coming from Japan. It was only 18 months ago that the Tsunami happened. I still pay over the odds prices for my HDV tapes/SxS cards etc because the Sony warehouse is still coming up to speed. Heck, even my Z5 is worth $500 MORE than I paid for it 2 years ago!

bhook

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 11:12 pm

simonkn wrote:I'd still put my money on the problem part coming from Japan. It was only 18 months ago that the Tsunami happened.

Could be the case, but I don't understand why in the World BMD couldn't tell us that. :?

PetePolyakov

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 2:28 am

we would create more variations why it happened (delays), maybe it happened because us army occupied vietnam back to the years, or anything else.. like aliens landed on the labor with CPUs, or sensors, or screws, etc. i would prefer something more real. but as you can see, we still in the situation when everyone is guessing.

i'm honestly would wish to bmd fix their problems, whatever the reason is and continue their work, expand their market. i see many nonprofessional things that they did, it could be done much better, but who doesn't make mistakes? it's a big step for bmd, from not too known company on the mass-market sector to become a well known brand.

Peter J. Odio

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 am

I have been very busy this past two weeks. If I had received my camera, It would have been paid for already!

Any news Blackmagic? Please. Anything will do.

Peter Odio

RichDorato

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:19 am

Everyone is asking for an update, but it seems like we're either not worth of their time or they're afraid to speak about even more delays.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Nick Bedford

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 am

I'd love to actually have a camera I paid for.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Cameron Mckinlay

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 am

RichDorato wrote:Everyone is asking for an update, but it seems like we're either not worth of their time or they're afraid to speak about even more delays.

I have a feeling your right....more delays to come and they don't want to admit it.
Cameron Mckinlay

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 am

RichDorato wrote:Everyone is asking for an update, but it seems like we're either not worth of their time or they're afraid to speak about even more delays.

Or they want to wait till they have something solid to tell us. A look at this thread shows you the reaction whe. They give out info they believe to be correct, things change, suddenly they are accused of deliberately misleading people. Another timeframe guess is a great way to get slaughtered on their forums, to early and they'll be ripped to pieces, to late and they'll be ripped by people who cancelled only to find out the supply issued came unstuck.

They could repeat what they've already said, seems a bit rendundant and risks getting people's hopes up when they see an official post on it after being told when there's news they'll post it.

Blackmagic have made mistakes here, the biggest was giving a expected shipping date, but they still manage to have acted more professionally than many on threads such as this.

nickdale

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 pm

I think in the case of the general unknown there is little point in them posting an update - I, like everyone on this forum am awaiting the camera with baited frustration, but short of storming the gates at Black Magic HQ I don't see a solution... I have been considering cancelling my pre-order as I am not sure when I will actually see the unit and I am now thinking that perhaps all of the little niggles that version 1 has will be quickly ironed out and a new version will follow very shortly after... but speculation like this is moot really and when I reflected on it today I thought that given the price and quality of the camera I'm gonna keep on waiting....

yes, it would be nice to have some kind of update, but it is very melodramatic to accuse them of not caring etc I think its probably more of a case of "all hands on deck" to get the camera sorted, rather than having one person watching the forum, because to be honest, why waste a perfectly good staff member watching everyone whine? Much better to have everyone trying to push production and development forward and then whack an update on when they have one... I dare say the next one will be that cameras are finally leaving. But even if it isn't I would be stunned if everyone in the company wasn't doing everything to get this sorted, its their big thing and so I think The BMCC (and the people buying it) is the one thing they do care about very much, I have worked with BM before and use many of their products and the one thing they do care about is their products and customers.

What I would like to see more of is some really constructive chat about how everyone here (of which there are some clear talents!) works and sharing some advice on cinematography, this particular thread just seems to be bringing everyone down in negative views and speculation, which is completely pointless... lets just be positive, they are working to sort it out.. lets get on with some networking and professional discussion and just keep thinking of the smile on your face when that box lands on your doorstep - an active mind passes the time and all that :D

Eric Santiago

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 1:27 pm

All cinematography chats are in other posts.
This post is about Shipping dates.
If people don't like reading angst then don't read this post :)

nickdale

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm

It's not about Shipping Dates though is it? It's pointless moaning :)

bhook

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 1:34 pm

nickdale wrote:It's pointless moaning :)

Moaning about shipping dates. ;)

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:I'd love to actually have a camera I paid for.

+1

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

cmckinlay wrote:I have a feeling your right....more delays to come and they don't want to admit it.

the funniest thing that we don't know what's going on.

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:All cinematography chats are in other posts.
This post is about Shipping dates.
If people don't like reading angst then don't read this post :)

+1

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:40 pm

nickdale wrote:It's not about Shipping Dates though is it? It's pointless moaning :)

Hans II.

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:42 pm

mhood wrote:Moaning about shipping dates. ;)

i can't call it "moaning". i believe this company just have no any shame, they believe that they can charge people and after that play in the game "when we will know something, we definitely let you know". people don't know what is business etiquette is, they don't know how to work with clients.

Marcel Beck

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:46 pm

I just came off the phone with a distributer here in Dubai, UAE. Who indicated that the units will arrive at the end of "October."

If he is right, then we have nothing to worry about. :shock:
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

bhook

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Marcel Beck wrote:If he is right, then we have nothing to worry about. :shock:

Has anyone been "right" yet?

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Marcel Beck wrote:I just came off the phone with a distributer here in Dubai, UAE. Who indicated that the units will arrive at the end of "October."

If he is right, then we have nothing to worry about. :shock:

do u believe that this reseller knows anything?

RichDorato

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 4:19 pm

This is the problem, people counting on resellers random predictions because BMD say nothing.

To state that BMD are too busy with production to give 5 minutes each week to inform their customers proves that either they are either too horribly understaffed to support their product with ANY customer service, or is a completely fake excuse.

To people jumping on the board to complain about asking for an update, do you realize the irony that you're not adding anything constructive?
www.whoatemyteeth.com

nickdale

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 4:41 pm

bhook

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 4:45 pm

I found this part particularly interesting:

“This whole company is designed to fail,” Petty says. “If you can try something and be radical, you've got to design the company to support the fact it might not work. Too many people pin their hopes on something - that it has to work. If you design your company like that and it fails, then you die.”

It is the manufacturing processes of Blackmagic products that support this culture.

“We manufacture products ourselves, so if a new model doesn't sell well, we say, 'What a shame, why didn't we sell more?', then we just change it, it doesn't matter. A lot of people love outsourcing [manufacturing] but the problem is it doesn't let you screw up. It doesn't let you fail.”

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm

mhood wrote:I found this part particularly interesting:

“This whole company is designed to fail,” Petty says. “If you can try something and be radical, you've got to design the company to support the fact it might not work. Too many people pin their hopes on something - that it has to work. If you design your company like that and it fails, then you die.”

It is the manufacturing processes of Blackmagic products that support this culture.

“We manufacture products ourselves, so if a new model doesn't sell well, we say, 'What a shame, why didn't we sell more?', then we just change it, it doesn't matter. A lot of people love outsourcing [manufacturing] but the problem is it doesn't let you screw up. It doesn't let you fail.”

+1

Craig

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 pm

OMG!

Eric Santiago

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 pm

I like Mr Pettys comment.
Basically stating that they take risks in this business.
Hoping they will never be about the bottom line.

RichDorato

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 6:51 pm

And that they have no issue with not supporting/canceling a product.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Thomas Läräng

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Just pre-ordered a camera virtually seconds ago. Now I am happily joining the moaning choir :)

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 pm

i hope your moaning Thomas won't be longer than ours :-)

Brett Harrison

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 am

Just a little more rumination guys and Grant will release the cameras.

We can do it!

Ghassan Nazmi

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:56 am

http://www.bl2.it/content/33-blackmagic ... e-consegne

& after the translation

Blackmagic Design delays in delivery of these motivations Cinema Room!

As we all know the EF of the room Blackmagic cinema was scheduled over for the month of July, but so far only ten units were delivered. The Blackmagic now is giving us some detailed information about what's going on behind the scenes.

By BMD: "I wanted to give everyone an update on how's the situation of the expeditions of Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

As you may know, we have had to deal with a vendor who has blocked delay our ability to build the Cinema Camera. I thought it might be a good thing to explain in more detail what is going on, so that everyone understands the nature of the delay and what we did to resolve it.

More than a month ago, we completed testing the Blackmagic Room Cinema and started producing. Soon we saw the models in production of stains on the sensor. These are high-end cameras then it's obviously not acceptable.

We started experimenting to discover the cause of the problem and we discovered that the problems were from our second shipment of sensors. The first shipment of sensors were satisfactory. All cameras that currently people use was built by this first series of sensors and that's why we haven't seen any problem until we started building cameras.

While it investigates the problem our engineers found that the spots were in the glass that covers the sensor, and the sensor itself. This is good because the glass could just be dirty so we saw this as a quick fix, but wondered how a supplier may send sensors that had these faults, because it is supposed to test them!

Each sensor has a glass cover to limit contamination from the surface of the sensor itself, which is essentially a large semiconductor. If the surface becomes dirty, it would be impossible to clean, but the glass is easy to clean. All sensors have this glass cover. Is a high-quality glass for optical coatings, similar to glass lenses.

However, returning to the problem, when you talk to the vendor, it turned out they had a bug in their software trial that tested the sensors after the glass was applied. This is why we have shipped defective sensors and have not noticed.
The next step for the supplier was for them to work on the cause of stains on the glass. They developed assays for the glass before being tied to the sensor, and discovered that it contained the stains on the glass before being used in the factory. After additional tests over the past few weeks, the supplier has discovered that defects are caused by a contamination of packaging materials used by the glass supplier to ship the glass sensor provider.

Here's where we are now. The supplier will receive the new glass later this week and hopes to start production again with new clean glass, which will result in good quality sensors.

We build our cameras in a factory production line built for the camera so we can start shipping again cameras the day we receive good sensors.

We apologize for the delay in shipping and it was very frustrating for us, and to be sitting on a finished product and tested for a month that we can't sell. Especially when people need it urgently.

As you can see from the breakdown of the problem mentioned above, there have been several rounds of tests to discover the cause of the problem, so it was difficult to lock date or what was going on until now, so it's been hard to update all the exact details.

I hope this update helps people understand the delay. We should know more details on shipping times once the new glass comes to our supplier.

We have also updated with the new version of the software now v. 1.1 now has support for DNxHD, as the lens stabilisers support and lots of other features. " (Translated by Bing)

Ghassan Nazmi
Writer|Director|Cinematographer
Info@ghassannazmi.com
www.ghassannazmi.com (Currently Upgrading)

http://instagram.com/oras_gn

VINTRUSCAM (BMCC 2.5K MFT)

simonkn

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 12:38 pm

I found this bit most interesting....

"Petty, 44, the chief executive of Blackmagic Design. “We kind of hide what we do because we're just so busy.

I wonder if that's why they don't reply??..

Marcel Beck

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Great, so my supplier's estimate for End of october doesn't look that shady anymore!

But delivering dirty glass? haha I'm sure its not made in Germany ;)
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Luca Salvatori

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 3:43 pm

BL2.it tell me on past week "...stay easy... its all ok, pleas make your preorder, deposit all cash and we bring to you the BMCC on Monday 24 september..."...

:lol:

but i preorder in Germany...

:lol:
Cinematographer/Colorist

Panasonic HDC27H Varicam
Panasonic EVA1
Red Scarlet Dragon
Sony a7s

Mark Wilhelm

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 3:48 pm

simonkn wrote:I found this bit most interesting....

"Petty, 44, the chief executive of Blackmagic Design. “We kind of hide what we do because we're just so busy.

I wonder if that's why they don't reply??..

Might be mistranslated?
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography