NPF Battery Solution & Mounting - Questions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

kc7777777

NPF Battery Solution & Mounting - Questions

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to add an NPF battery solution (either 970 or 750) to my Pocket 4k, had some questions about that.

I researched some options mounting to Tilta cage, wanting a solution that is the least clunky/bulky and most out of the way? I'm leaning towards either 1b, 1c, or 2 bc I'm trying to see if I can get away with half cage, for both T5 mount & NPF mount.

1) Which of these options do you feel is least clunky/bulky and most out of the way?
2) Are options 1B and 1C using NPF 750 battery and if so, are they sufficient to power the Pocket 4K?
3) Do I need a different battery plate to mount 750 than the 970, or will the Tilta plate work for both?
4) What else would I need in the way of cables, other attachments (ie dummy battery?) to make this work?
5) For option 1C could i us e a half cage if wanting to also mount the T5?

Thanks for any insights!
Attachments
Tilta Battery Mount copy.jpg
Tilta Battery Mount copy.jpg (660.7 KiB) Viewed 1837 times

Joshua_G

Re: NPF Battery Solution & Mounting - Questions

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 pm

Hi,
Look at my reply here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118734#p653443
I use the SmallRig full frame, similar to your 1C option plus few additions. In my configuration, the NP batter plate is mounted on top of the NATO Handle.
DaVinci Resolve Studio (latest stable) / Windows 10 Pro x64 / AMD 1920X / 32GB RAM / RX Vega56 8G.
BMPCC 6K + BMPCC 6K Pro.
Retired electronics technician and sound engineer, long-time amateur photographer, beginner hobbyist filmmaker for personal uses.

Mark Foster

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 5:45 pm

bottom option gives you a more stable camera
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Ellory Yu

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 7:22 am

This grip with power feature is on sale at B&H for almost 40% off in the the next 22 hours. It also makes the rig look cleaner without all those franken-rigging.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... p_for.html
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:39 am

I had solution 1A but mounted or on top or on right side, depend of what I do, if handheld or shoulder mount.
I think is better to go to 970 to have since 2 hours of working in the worst situation (external ssd disk, lens with autofocus and stabilisation enable, recording in raw).

i choose np-f970 be cause i had tons of it, i had adapter from 2x970 to vmount, i had many led panels powered from 970 :-D

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Last edited by carlomacchiavello on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joshua_G

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 10:49 am

Ellory Yu wrote:This grip with power feature is on sale at B&H for almost 40% off in the the next 22 hours. It also makes the rig look cleaner without all those franken-rigging.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... p_for.html

It looks like the internal battery of this grip isn't user replaceable.
To my view, the benefit of the SmallRig NP-F battery adapter is the batteries are replaceable on the spot.
DaVinci Resolve Studio (latest stable) / Windows 10 Pro x64 / AMD 1920X / 32GB RAM / RX Vega56 8G.
BMPCC 6K + BMPCC 6K Pro.
Retired electronics technician and sound engineer, long-time amateur photographer, beginner hobbyist filmmaker for personal uses.

Ahmed Ghaffar

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 5:46 pm

I have the full Tilta cage with the power side handle focus wheel, 3C. I also use the side handle to power the Tilta Nucleus motor. I also have the Tilta NP-F 970 battery plate, I use that when I mount the BMPCC 6K on the Ronin S.

As for batteries, I use the Watson high capacity batteries (10,050 mAh and 74.37 Wh)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1468019-REG

I also use the IDX SL-F70 battery (9900 mAh and 72Wh)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1420285-REG

I prefer the IDX battery as it seems to take less time to charge than the Watson batteries and seems to last longer too. Also the LED indicator is a nice feature. However, the battery is physically larger than the standard Sony NP-F970 batteries, so it protrudes out of the Tilta Side Handle a bit.

Both battery solutions seem to give me around 3-4hrs or so of battery life on average.

kc7777777

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 5:11 am

Thanks Ahmed! Which brand charger do you use to charge your Npf batteries with?

Ahmed Ghaffar wrote:I have the full Tilta cage with the power side handle focus wheel, 3C. I also use the side handle to power the Tilta Nucleus motor. I also have the Tilta NP-F 970 battery plate, I use that when I mount the BMPCC 6K on the Ronin S.

As for batteries, I use the Watson high capacity batteries (10,050 mAh and 74.37 Wh)

I prefer the IDX battery as it seems to take less time to charge than the Watson batteries and seems to last longer too. Also the LED indicator is a nice feature. However, the battery is physically larger than the standard Sony NP-F970 batteries, so it protrudes out of the Tilta Side Handle a bit.

Both battery solutions seem to give me around 3-4hrs or so of battery life on average.

Ahmed Ghaffar

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 3:20 pm

kc7777777 wrote:Thanks Ahmed! Which brand charger do you use to charge your Npf batteries with?

Ahmed Ghaffar wrote:I have the full Tilta cage with the power side handle focus wheel, 3C. I also use the side handle to power the Tilta Nucleus motor. I also have the Tilta NP-F 970 battery plate, I use that when I mount the BMPCC 6K on the Ronin S.

Actually, I got a charger from a company called Promage. Might be a cheap Chinese knockoff, it was available locally.

However, I was thinking of getting either the Watson or IDX battery charger. Both are available on B&H with decent reviews so far. The IDX charger has a simple LED light to inform you if a battery needs charging. Watson on the other hand is similar to Promage and has an LCD screen with battery percentages etc.

kc7777777

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 8:23 pm

Thanks, I’m considering the Watson charger also. I’m going to look into the batteries you mention too. I’m also considering the Powerextra brand NPF970 batteries as well, have heard good things.

Ahmed Ghaffar wrote:
kc7777777 wrote:Thanks Ahmed! Which brand charger do you use to charge your Npf batteries with?

Actually, I got a charger from a company called Promage. Might be a cheap Chinese knockoff, it was available locally.

However, I was thinking of getting either the Watson or IDX battery charger. Both are available on B&H with decent reviews so far. The IDX charger has a simple LED light to inform you if a battery needs charging. Watson on the other hand is similar to Promage and has an LCD screen with battery percentages etc.

Return to Cinematography